Menu

Would you eat this?

Mimm

My father sent venison summer sausage in the mail to us. It spent five days in the mail going from Texas to Missouri during a particularly warm winter. It was just thrown in a box wrapped in plastic. No cooler, no ice packs, nothing.

I'm in the no camp.

My husband isn't so sure.

He also sent fruit cake which no one will like, and cookies that are hard as rocks. I'm supposed to split this up among my siblings who all live in the same area, but no one will want any of this. What am I to do with eight fruit cakes?

My father sent venison summer sausage in the mail to us. It spent five days in the mail going from Texas to Missouri during a particularly warm winter. It was just thrown in a box wrapped in plastic. No cooler, no ice packs, nothing.

I'm in the no camp.

My husband isn't so sure.

He also sent fruit cake which no one will like, and cookies that are hard as rocks. I'm supposed to split this up among my siblings who all live in the same area, but no one will want any of this. What am I to do with eight fruit cakes?

The type of summer sausage that requires refrigeration?  If it requres refrigeration then absolutely toss it.  Some summer sausages do not.

I love summer sausage so I would eat that. As for the fruitcakes, I think you should get your siblings together (maybe a New Year's party) and have a contest to see who can be most creative with the fruitcake...whether it's carving into an art project or whatever. Because there's no way I'd eat one. I know some are really good...but just not my thing. 

• Like 1

I've never seen summer sausage kept in the fridge (except after you open it).  It should be fine.

Fruitcake is not fit for human consumption so use it for target practice or back over it with your car.

My mom makes fruitcake that isn't just edible but pretty good too.  We were all sad she gave us cookies this year instead of fruitcake. It might have something to do with the bottles and bottles of rum, tons of sugar, and not much fruit.... others might call it rum-and fruitcake?

• Like 1

My mom makes fruitcake that isn't just edible but pretty good too.  We were all sad she gave us cookies this year instead of fruitcake. It might have something to do with the bottles and bottles of rum, tons of sugar, and not much fruit.... others might call it rum-and fruitcake?

My mother loved fruitcake. 

That sounds very alcoholic so it's probably good.  LOL

• Like 1

The summer sausage will be fine.  That's why he sent it.  It doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Summer sausage is any sausage that can be kept without refrigeration. Summer sausage is usually a mixture of pork and other meatsuch as beef or venison. Summer sausage can be dried or smoked, and while curing ingredients vary significantly, curing salt is almost always used. Seasonings may include mustard seedsblack peppergarlic salt, or sugar.

• Like 4

I've never seen summer sausage kept in the fridge (except after you open it). It should be fine.

Fruitcake is not fit for human consumption so use it for target practice or back over it with your car.

Sure, and then it'll be all your fault when she needs new tires. :glare:

;)

• Like 3

The only way fruitcake can be fit for human consumption is if you drown it in alcohol (fruit juice for kids) and then cover it with icecream, custard and/or cream. That's what I'd do if you drink. If you are teetotalers I would use it as chicken food. If you have no animals that will eat it, you could try donating it to a soup kitchen or similar charity. 

With the cookies, if they taste OK and the only issue is texture, you could try zapping them in the food processor (or pounding them in the pestle and mortar if that's more your style - I enjoy pounding things up while berating our current government) and using the sweet crumbs to make cheesecake bases, sprinkle over fruit desserts, etc.

The summer sausage I'd consult the instructions on the pack, or phone the manufacturer or retailer if there aren't any instructions. 

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 1