Menu

A Reading Nook?

I'm contemplating creating a little reading nook, probably in our basement.  I wonder if it would be used though???

Personal, silent reading has slacked for all of us this last semester and I want to encourage us to get back into the habit in a positive way. 

Where do your kids do their personal reading?  How do you minimize distractions and help to make reading a pleasure?

If you have a special nook for reading, what does it look like and where is it located?  

My experience has been that kids will find and create their own nooks.  When I've tried to set up a special place, it has mostly been ignored.  My daughter used to curl up under my desk to read.

My kids read in their rooms; my son has a comfortable chair in his so he can avoid reading in bed (he has trouble sleeping).  My daughter reads in bed but she has no sleep troubles.

• Like 2

Kids will read near where the books are stored if the place isn't uncomfortable. The basement is not a good place to store books.

Bookcases near the kitchen table seem to draw children to sit at the table and read.

Kids will read more when they are not distracted from reading by other more stimulating activities. DEAR, drop everything and read, works.

Kids who have started a book are more likely to finish a book. Reading the first chapter of a book to children gets them hooked.

• Like 1

A hammock.  I string it between the trees in the summer, though we're still looking for a place for it in the winter.  It never fails, I go out there and curl up with a good book and the children come squish in, too, all with books of their own.  It doesn't take long before I'm forced out. ;)  Our hammock has a pocket meant for folding it back up in, but often has a small paperback or a magazine tucked in it instead.

• Like 1

Basket or wall rack in the bathroom.  Works great.  :D

And I agree with the others.  I made dd a nest and she used it, yes.  Main thing is, they need time and access, lots of books around, enough boredom that reading becomes something they do.  Ds is harder with his comprehension and SLD challenges.  For him, I make it a social event and weave it into something we can do *together*.

I practically lived in our reading book as a kid and young teen. It was an alcove in the hallway, lined with bookshelves and boasting a comfy chair. I think those three factors made it appealing - hallway (private, but not excluded from family activity), bookshelves (a lot of convenient reading options), and chair (very comfortable for long periods of time).

That said, none of my siblings used it nearly as much as I did, so it has something to do with the kid/personality as well.

If I had a space anything like that, I'd create the same thing in our home now.

My boys read on their beds most of the time. My DS10 wakes up early so he reads in bed while I make breakfast and hubby's lunch. DS11 wakes up late so there is no distractions.

The bookcases and the box for library books are in the living room. Books go back there after reading.

Mine like to read in the classroom in a club chair with an ottoman and small side table. They get a drink and a cozy blanket, and get in the zone. The chair faces out toward a glass sliding door with a view of a garden area. I like to work lighting in our classroom. Lots of amber-y lighting, and natural too!

Also, we have a papasan chair in our library. Often called the nest or island. :)

Kids will read near where the books are stored if the place isn't uncomfortable. The basement is not a good place to store books.

Bookcases near the kitchen table seem to draw children to sit at the table and read.

Kids will read more when they are not distracted from reading by other more stimulating activities. DEAR, drop everything and read, works.

Kids who have started a book are more likely to finish a book. Reading the first chapter of a book to children gets them hooked.

Our school/work area is in the basement.  It's not ideal, but it's what we have.

The "good" books are all upstairs. The shelves are in the dining and living rooms.  None of them have ever been caught reading at the table.  We must have uncomfortable chairs.  Our living room is too distracting, I think, too many people in and out.

• Like 1

I know this is off-topic. But,

Why does this not work at my house?

I will read the first chapter or 2....she LOVES the book.....will not read more to herself. 

I tried buddy reading instead, so that she knows she CAN read the book by herself. Still doesn't work.

Buddy reading is working for now to get her practicing, and she enjoys it for the most part. I just wish she would read on her own.

• Like 1

I set up a reading space in the loft for *me*, which of course immediately drew in my daughter and she uses it more than I do. She has her own comfy reading chair in her room, but she definitely prefers my space.

This is exactly what I need to do.  :lol:

Carved out time and carefully chosen books available are even more important than a spot. :)  Those of us who truly adore reading had our interest piqued by good books and had time to read them.  Your appetite grows for good food. ;)

Any cozy spot will do.  I grew my children's appetites by requiring "read or sleep" afternoons.