Menu

Just bought a sewing machine-what else do I need?

Nart

I just bought this sewing machine

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7DPEQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It is a Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Sew Affordable 25-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine. I really know nothing about sewing but I have been wanting to learn so I can at least hem my boys' pants and maybe make some small items like some bedding for our guinea pig, a  pillow for my kids, etc. 

So my first silly question is -what kind of thread do I buy for the machine. It came with the little round things- bobbins? but I am not sure what thread to buy? Cotton, there is some that say embrodiery, larger size thread - there are so many choices.

Anything else I should think of getting that would be useful.  Any good websites or youtube videos?

Thanks in advance!

You most likely need dual purpose cotton-poly thread.  The cheap thread at Walmart is indeed, cheap. It tends to jam my sewing machine and be a general pain in the butt. It is worth the $1-2 more to pay for a good brand of thread like Gutterman or Mettler.  JoAnns and Hancock Fabrics are two national chains likely to carry such things at a good price. My luck at Hobby Lobby with quality of thread has been hit or miss.

You will also want a packet of universal needles.  You should replace your needle fairly often--after any sewing job or after xx number of hours in a big project.

Most sewing machines come with a bobbin or three. If not, they are carried in the same section of the store as needles and thread generally.

• Like 3

Yes, choose good thread. And buy (and change!) needles.  If you have a JoAnn's near you, sign up for their coupons and use them to buy several brands of thread and you'll find one you really like.  My policy at Joann's is to never pay full price for anything unless it's an emergency. Their sales and coupons almost always allow you to buy at a discount price, which is good for a newbie. Buy some fabric to play with, buy some thread, good sewing scissors, pins, and find some free patterns online to play with. 

Easy things like pillowcases are great projects for learning to use a machine. 

I had an encyclopedia of sewing when I started learning and it was a great resource. Someone might have a title to recommend- I bought mine 30 years ago so there's probably a lot more to choose from today. 

• Like 2

Joann has a set of Gutermann on sale for $12.99. Will try to grab a link. ETA: not on sale, but you can use a coupon

http://www.joann.com/gutermann-26-spool-thread/9284811.html?mkwid=gBpUtLBq%7Cdm&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Sewing&CS_003=12311117&CS_010=%5BProductId%5D&gclid=CNbuvp_04ckCFckdgQodxr4PEw

Scissors for fabric only!

Seam ripper

Pins and pin cushion (I like magnetic)

Bobbin case

Coupons on app, email, mail, and they'll take competitors' coupons (Michael's, Hobby Lobby). You can sign up for an educator card and get an additional discount.

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 3

FYI.in case you want to make some clothes or something. In my area, Joannes and Hancocks both run their patterns for sale for about a dollar or two pretty often. I'm a learner, too, and I like to get patterns when they are on that sale and just learn as I go. Youtube helps a ton when I get stuck or don't understand the instructions. Starting out, make sure you get patterns that say easy or simple on them. Also know the measurements of the person you are sewing for. My size number in patterns is more than twice my size number off the rack, which is weird.

• Like 2

Also, an iron and ironing board.  

A lot of the sewing process doesn't take place at the machine.  It involves things like pressing seams and pressing hems.  And fabric prep, and pattern prep, and generally keeping track of the bits you want to put together.

It's lots of fun, though!  Enjoy!

http://www.mesewcrazy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Edna-Mode-Sewing-is-my-Superpower.png

(Posting the above as a link since we're not supposed to include images. I'd really like this as a t-shirt.)

• Like 4

If you want to sew clothing, I prefer PDF patterns to paper patterns. The instructions are much easier for a beginner than typical paper patterns. You download them and print from your computer. I only print the pieces and look at the instructions on computer or iPad/phone. I can't remember the last paper pattern I bought. FB has a few large PDF groups where you can see inspiration and then most designers have a page and a closed group for help and ideas. And sales. :)

• Like 1

The Brother is a great starter machine!  (I'm so sad that mine just died after a good seven years of heavy use.)  If you can find someone who sews to sew with in the beginning it can be a great help in getting started, but if not, youtube videos can be a good substitute.  Recognise that every brand and line of sewing machines is a little different, so if you are watching a video of someone using a different machine than yours, it may not perform that function in just the same way.  Read the entire sewing machine manual first, and experiment with your new machine on scrap fabric to begin to get the feel of it before you begin your first project.  A great exercise for a new seamstress is to take two papers and draw a spiral on one and a corner spiral on the other (like this http://www.thesewinggeek.com/wp-content/uploads/practice-sheet-turning-corners.jpg)and practice stitching on the line with your unthreaded machine to practice curves and corners.

Polycotton dual thread will be great--I would suggest not buying an assorted set, because you will want to match the thread you use to each individual project you do.  To match thread, you pull the end of the thread off the spool and hold it on top of the fabric you have selected.  If it basically disappears to your eyes, you have a color match.  In general, don't buy any fabric from Jo-ann at full price.  Their fabric is all seconds quality and they hike up their "normal" prices to make their constant sales and coupons look good. 

Always go by size based on measurements when sewing from a pattern, because the sizing system used by pattern makers is not the same as the one used by the clothing industry.  And when it says waist measurement, it means your actual waist, not where a pants waistband normally rests in modern clothing (the narrowest part of your torso, generally around or above your belly button).  To find your true waist, hold your arms out to the sides and bend directly to one side.  Where the skin creases on your side as you bend is your actual waist.

Good luck!  Sewing is so much fun when you get the hang of it!

• Like 1

Your library should have a selection of sewing books.  Don't be turned off by older ones - the fashions may have changed a bit, but the basics are the same, and the older books are less likely to assume you have a bazillion gadgets at hand.  

Start with easy-to-fit garments - pj pants, skirts, simple kids' clothing - or bags, travel accessories, etc.  

Cheaply made fabric will not be worth your time, unless it's for a practice garment. 

Thrift shops can be a useful source of fabric for smaller projects and children's clothes.  The fabric in a quality man's business shirt is significantly nicer than anything you can buy at JoAnns or similar shops.

Patternreview.com is an excellent source of advice about all things sewing.

All-purpose thread - Coats, Gutterman, etc. - is best for most projects.  Don't bother with anything of lesser brands - it's not worth your time.

Do some research about the type of needles that would be best for the projects you have in mind.

Never pay full price for a pattern if you can help it. 

Bobbins are not all the same - make sure you know which kind your machine takes and purchase accordingly.  I like the steel ones, but they are more expensive and harder to find lately, so the plastic ones are a good alternative.  The cheap metal ones do not inspire my confidence.

Don't guess on pattern sizes - measure the person you are sewing for.

Check patternreview.com for the pattern you're making before cutting out - they will alert you to any issues you may want to consider before making the garment.  (e.g. if all of the reviewers say the skirt was too short for them, you might want to add some length before cutting out.)

Expect that you will make things that don't turn out well.  That's ok - it's part of the learning process.  If nothing else, it will help you to look at commercial garments with a critical eye, and it will help you appreciate the work behind seemingly-high prices for alterations or custom work.

• Like 5

Oh, yeah, and there's no need to purchase and cut up a new pattern for each thing you make.  I always trace my patterns onto tissue paper and save the originals, so that over time I've built up a nice little stash of a variety of patterns so that I basically never need to buy patterns anymore.  Costco sells giant packs of white tissue paper this time of year, one of those will last you for years for pattern tracing.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses. I was so excited to open the box and start learning how to sew but I started not to feel well right before I posted. I ended up going to bed early and waking up with chills/fever/ and a sore throat. So after a trip to urgent care and antibiotics for strep throat I am finally feeling better and as soon as my DH gets home I am going to open the box and start learning. 

• Like 2

Bobbins. Be sure to get the exact kind. Wind a bunch at once with a neutral color like beige or grey and then that's one less thing to mess with while you are learning.

I like to keep a small pair of scissors by my machine for trimming threads.

Seam ripper

Iron

YouTube is your friend. Learn!

Start with small projects not clothes. They use less fabric, go quickly, and don't have to fit a person. There are lots of free simple ones online--sew mama sew blog has lots of small projects in their "25 days of Christmas" selection.

• Like 2

You already got good advice.  I'll just add, when you start, accelerate slowly or put it in turtle (1/2 speed) mode.  Use some scraps of fabric, not your project.  Did someone suggest little snips?  Amazon.com: small fiskars scissors  Get yourself a tiny pair of scissors to snip threads.  I keep trashcans in my sewing room, but I don't necessarily use them, hehe.  I just swipe everything onto the floor and deal with it later.  But really, having a little $3 trashcan there is a good gig.

If you have a little tool/shower/paint caddy, that can be nice for keeping your things together.  

I wouldn't buy a lot of thread at once.  Just collect as you need it.  The bobbin/thread stands at Joanns will go half price occasionally, so that's when you want to buy one.  I put the bobbin on the bottom of the spindle and then put the matching thread on top of it.  I only stock basic colors (white, tan).  Everything else I buy as needed. 

Sew Mama Sew | Outstanding sewing, quilting, and ...

Here's a fun site with very doable projects, all free.  Instructions off Etsy can be good.  The projects will be more challenging, but you'll typically get a very detailed pdf where a pattern (Simplicity, whatever) is going to be b&w and hard for most people to figure out.  If you pay $8 or even $15 for a pattern on Etsy, sometimes it will be worth it just for how carefully it walks you through everything.  

Craftsy: Learn It. Make It.

Craftsy will have classes on anything you want to learn, and they go on sale pretty frequently.  

Enjoy your new machine!!!!!!!!!!!!   :)

PS.  Don't forget to prewash your fabric.   :D

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

Enjoy your new hobby! I wish you lived near me- people new to the hobby are so enthusiastic and it's so much fun to sew with them and catch some of that enthusiasm. 

I have already received what is going to be my favorite gift this year: My 6 year old granddaughter made and quilted a Christmas themed mug rug for me and dd was SO thoughtful- she took a picture of my dear granddaughter piecing it. What a treasure to have that photo of her making her very first project!  

• Like 3

Join Peekaboo Pattern Shop on Facebook (it is a group) and you will get a code for a free pattern of hers. It is a good starter pattern for your children to wear and it is free! Her patterns are GREAT so this truly is a bonus! No I don't get anything if you do this. 😄

Take your time and remember to cut once, measure twice. Once it is cut out correctly, pretty much anything is fixable.

Good luck and have fun! I have been sewing for years and LOVE it.

• Like 1

Sewing gauge with sliding marker

One of those orange tailor rulers for measuring people (the bendy kind -does this have a special name? LOL)

Pattern cutting board

Keep any expensive fabric scissors separate away from your non-sewing family members. Hide them, seriously.

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy a lot of thread at once.  Just collect as you need it.  The bobbin/thread stands at Joanns will go half price occasionally, so that's when you want to buy one.  I put the bobbin on the bottom of the spindle and then put the matching thread on top of it.  I only stock basic colors (white, tan).  Everything else I buy as needed. 

PS.  Don't forget to prewash your fabric.   :D

I store most thread, fabric, zippers, etc. in drawers or opaque boxes, so they don't collect dust or fade from exposure to light.

Prewashing advice varies, but I wash everything as soon as I buy it, to be sure it's clean to work with, to understand how the fabric will behave once it is made up into a garment, to test for color bleeding, and to be sure any shrinkage that will happen gets taken care of before I go to the trouble of cutting, fitting, and sewing.  Plus, a prewashed fabric is ready to sew as soon as I get a minute to spare.

Keep any expensive fabric scissors separate away from your non-sewing family members. Hide them, seriously.

This is worth repeating. I use a Sharpie to write on both sides of the blades "FABRIC ONLY"; that way, there's no excuse for anyone using them for something else.