Menu

Where do people get the stuff they sell at discounted prices on eBay?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I'm looking at Vera Bradley bags (Merry Christmas to me!), and I'm seeing people selling NWT bags (multiple bags, not just, say, one they got for a gift) for less than they're selling on sale on the VB site. I've seen that with other things too, and I always wonder where the sellers get their inventory. It can't all have just fallen off the back of the truck, right? 

How do people manage this?

Clearance. There is a store in my grandfathers small town that sells Vera. The back room is clearance stuff and there is always a good selection. It's always more than half off.

Eta: also lots of stuff on ebay is from thrift stores. I assumed you meant the people selling tons of vera bradley. Maybe they live near an outlet.

Edited by sarasue7272

There is a premium outlet 4 miles away from me. We can get lower than ebay prices at Nordstrom Rack, Off 5th Saks Ave, Marshalls, Bloomingdales Outlet, Nieman Marcus outlet...

We could find off season items for 70% to 85% off MSRP.

ETA:

The outlets have a 30 day returns period and people tend to buy and return at this time of the year as they shop for gifts.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

See, I thought about clearance stuff, but VB is still selling the same bags on their site for $49, whereas the eBay person is selling them for $34 or so. I can't imagine VB marked them down that drastically and then back up to just $11 below the regular price. The same with the outlets--I don't see eBayers getting them cheaply enough at an outlet that they can sell the bags for $34 on eBay while VB itself is selling them $49. Or do outlets operate wholly independently from their main retailer? Clearance does make sense. I forgot that you can buy VB bags at third-party stores, so I could see someone getting a score if a boutique is closing or dumping inventory. Huh!

In the early days of the interwebs, when I lived in NYC, I used to buy Kate Spade bags and planners at the twice-annual sample sales and resell them on eBay for quite a bit of money.The planners, in particular, tolerated a big markup. Ah, those were the days :lol: 

It's called Retail Arbitrage and it's a huge business. People who live in the right location or who can afford to buy from online arbitrage wholesalers make a pretty good living at it.

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/04/412046900/retailer-arbitrage-how-internet-middlemen-are-scaring-traditional-stores

Wow!!! That's crazy! I don't think that's what happening in this case, since the eBayers are undercutting or matching the online prices, but I always wondered what on earth was going on with Amazon prices like that. I always figured it was a software algorithm glitch. I can't believe people actually pay those inflated prices!

Or do outlets operate wholly independently from their main retailer?

Designers do have an outlet line and a non-outlet line. Some items at outlet has the label "made for outlet" or similar wording.

Bloomingdales Outlet and Nordstrom Rack does get things from Bloomingdales and Nordtrom respectively. Usually those are returns or overruns.

Not specifically Vera Bradley, but I have a friend who bargain shops and then resells things on eBay. She shops at clearance center type places. Recently she found football jerseys for a university several states away. She worked out a deal with the store and bought 15 or some ridiculous number for $10 each then sold them on eBay for $25 which was significantly below retail. She's always finding things like that, I don't have the patience to seek out the deals but it's a good side income for her.

• Like 1

I knew somebody who had an ebay store. She would go to all the Thrift stores and Goodwill stores and pick up name brand stuff to resell. I have found many expensive, name brand things at those stores for myself. I just saw a Vera Bradley purse at our Goodwill for 3.50 last week. I didn't buy it because I don't know anybody who likes them and I don't care for the trouble of trying to sell stuff.