Menu

Which is better: treadmill or exercise bike?

Renai

Which is better for at-home fitness?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Treadmill or Exercise Bike?

• Treadmill
    • Exercise bike
    • Obligatory other

Other:  migrate to a warmer climate in the winter and exercise outside there.  Move back home in the summer and exercise outside there.  (I was all in favor of moving to Florida a couple days ago when the temperature dropped to 25 degrees.  I'm a cold weather wimp too.)

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

If you go with the bike, definitely try them in the store. I bought an Exerpeutic folding bike on Amazon and if the seat were a half inch higher I wouldn't be able to use it. I wish I could lower the seat a little bit but I have it the lowest I can go. I know you said you dislike running, but have you ever tried a rebounder or mini trampoline? I can't run at all on pavement for the same reason - I hate the way my guts feel, lol. I do ok on the mini trampoline though. I had to start slow, but now I can do about 30 minutes. I got mine on sale for $25 a few years ago.

• Like 1

I voted treadmill because it is the one I will (and do) actually use. It does get boring--I am able to read while walking or jogging on it. Being able to watch tv would work too (ours is in our bedroom with no tv so I read). Injury-wise, a bike could be better. My dd is on rest with a foot issue--she can't run at the moment, but using a bike or elliptical would be okay.

• Like 1

I've had a treadmill and exercise bike. Now I own a heavy punching bag on a stand. Not sure it's great for an apartment though. I love it as I cannot exercise in the cold. I use it for cardio and an all over workout.

My treadmill was big, easy to fold up, however. It was hard on the knees and fairly noisy even though I had a fairly decent model. I didn't have a table then, but might use it more now. The exercise bike wasn't as fun and I don't feel like I got enough of a workout on it.

I would try a gym membership for a month - is there one you can join for a month? - and see which equipment suits you best.

I agree with this suggestion to get a gym membership for a month and try out different machines. Different people like different machines. Any machine you don't like will end up not getting used. I also suggest putting whatever you get in front of the TV or making sure you can read while exercising or listen to something while exercising. Sitting in one place is boring. Following through on exercise will be more successful if you have something to ease the boredom. At least in my experience.

Best of luck picking the right machine for you!

• Like 1

Renai -- add me to the elliptical list. Treadmill would kill my knees.  That said, a good one is probably important... I always used the elliptical at the gym, so I can't speak for any models you might be able to squeeze into your space.   Mostly though, I'd say try out lots of options and choose what you like and can easily access in your house.  We'd have to fold away any equipment in our home too, and that's a deal breaker for me... that extra step means I'd never use it, regardless of what "it" is.  I am much better off paying for a gym membership* and then being motivated (because of the payment) to get out of the house before breakfast.  

*Not that I have a gym membership right now.  :leaving: 

• Like 1

I agree with this suggestion to get a gym membership for a month and try out different machines. Different people like different machines. Any machine you don't like will end up not getting used. I also suggest putting whatever you get in front of the TV or making sure you can read while exercising or listen to something while exercising. Sitting in one place is boring. Following through on exercise will be more successful if you have something to ease the boredom. At least in my experience.

Best of luck picking the right machine for you!

Yes, my plan was to be able to do something in front of the tv, lol!

I think I may be leaning toward a gym membership. In discussing it with dh (who would be gifting it) he reminded me of the city gym. It's close to where I work and has childcare.

ETA: it would be short term, because I really like being home.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2

I prefer the Nordic Track too, but they take a lot of space and don't fold down very small.

A rower is small and can slide underneath a couch or bed for storage.

Amongst the two you mentioned, treadmills are more versatile - you can walk on them.

I hate ellipticals.  The gate is always wrong for me and they make my knees hurt more than running.

• Like 2

I voted bike because they're smaller (at least from what I've seen).  And easy to watch TV on.  And I found out after running outside, I hate treadmills.  :lol:  :lol:  (but I had the exercise bike before that - we bought it because *space*)

I like to run outside, but if I have to do something cardio inside (which I don't do, like, ever, even though I should), I do the exercise bike.  

• Like 1

I've found it easier to just hang the clothes right in the closet. While both the bike and treadmill offer attractive, quick, easy clothes hanging options it just creates more work later on. ;)

Lol! :lol:  If anything, it would need to be folded up out of the way, never to be seen from its dark corner again. I don't have the floor space to keep out equipment to hang clothes on.

I hate running. It feels like my insides are going to fall out. I blame Gymnast. Also, it is cold more months than warm here, and I am way too much of a baby to go out in the cold. :D

I was going to vote treadmill, but if you really hate running then an elliptical is great as it removes the pounding of running and can be more intense than walking. I'd pick treadmill and elliptical over the bike as they are weight-bearing, which is really important to maintain bone density especially for women. You also engage more core body muscles in the walking/running type of activities than biking.

• Like 1

I voted for treadmill. I hate to run but treadmills don't bother me. I love to ride bikes but find a stationary bike is so unnatural and uncomfortable. I'm also one of the those that does not like elliptical machines. The movement is so unnatural and my body gets discombobulated. I really don't recommend a Gazelle. We received one as a hand me down. It's a whole lotta swinging your legs around for nothing.

I asked for a rowing machine for Christmas. I read that it was one of the best full body workouts you can get and you can get them pretty inexpensively. I think I want step machine, too.

I guess it really all boils down to personal preference.

• Like 1