Menu

somehow I need to talk my kid out of wanting a Wii U

SparklyUnicorn

The 10 year old wants a Wii U for xmas.  It would be a sort of easy gift.  Just the one thing and I'm done.  But I think it's not a good gift for him.  We have three gaming systems.  He has his own computer.  He has tablets.  He has a 3DS.  He never looks at the gaming systems or the 3DS.  I know I could just not buy it, but he keeps saying he wants it.  I just know what will happen with it.  He'll play it all day when he gets it.  Then he will never look at it again.

It does not help that I have no clue what else to get him.

Total first world problem I know, but I wish I could convince him he wants something else.

I can't help. DS got a WiiU earlier this year with the Disney Infinity thingymajig which allows him to build worlds (I'm assuming like Minecraft) and he LOVES it. I don't know that he plays many "games" but he definitely spedns a fair bit of time creating random objects in space.

I can't help. DS got a WiiU earlier this year with the Disney Infinity thingymajig which allows him to build worlds (I'm assuming like Minecraft) and he LOVES it. I don't know that he plays many "games" but he definitely spedns a fair bit of time creating random objects in space.

Oh well that actually sounds cool and like something he would use. 

• Like 1

No "Wii-ing" in the house!

If he doesn't use the other two, could you guide him through selling them and using the money for the Wii? Takes it off your list of things to deal with then.

I don't feel like you really have to address not getting it for him head-on, either. Just a noncommittal,"hmmm, anything else?" Pass the bean dip, please.

Now, weekday to get him instead...

No "Wii-ing" in the house!

If he doesn't use the other two, could you guide him through selling them and using the money for the Wii? Takes it off your list of things to deal with then.

I don't feel like you really have to address not getting it for him head-on, either. Just a noncommittal,"hmmm, anything else?" Pass the bean dip, please.

Now, weekday to get him instead...

I would offer to help him sell the other two systems and then make up any difference or buy some cool games for Christmas. That will make him decide whether he really wants it.

• Like 1

Could you borrow one from someone.

In previous years my mom would temporarily give Youngest her WII as one of his birthday presents. He would get it for the month after his birthday. He would use it a bunch for the first two weeks, then when he was bored with it - it would go back to gramma. Then next year she would give it to him again. (She would also give him other things)

Youngest knows that his interest in things usually doesn't last and is perfectly fine with temporary gifts.

• Like 2

Could you borrow one from someone.

In previous years my mom would temporarily give Youngest her WII as one of his birthday presents. He would get it for the month after his birthday. He would use it a bunch for the first two weeks, then when he was bored with it - it would go back to gramma. Then next year she would give it to him again. (She would also give him other things)

Youngest knows that his interest in things usually doesn't last and is perfectly fine with temporary gifts.

That is brilliant and hilarious. 

The 10 year old wants a Wii U for xmas. It would be a sort of easy gift. Just the one thing and I'm done. But I think it's not a good gift for him. We have three gaming systems. He has his own computer. He has tablets. He has a 3DS. He never looks at the gaming systems or the 3DS. I know I could just not buy it, but he keeps saying he wants it. I just know what will happen with it. He'll play it all day when he gets it. Then he will never look at it again.

It does not help that I have no clue what else to get him.

Total first world problem I know, but I wish I could convince him he wants something else.

That is an excessive amount of gaming stuff. Seriously, you are allowed to just say, "No." Our son wanted a wii u, so he saved up money and gift cards until he was able to get one. And then we sold the wii that we had previously used. We would not allow him to buy another system unless he wanted to sell this one and there's no way we would just buy one for him.

I'm no help. One of mine is getting a gaming system, despite having multiple gaming systems just as you said. I was initially against it on this principle, but I am capitulating, mostly because I have no better idea and it doesn't make sense to get random unasked-for things when I could have just gotten the one thing that was asked for. The kid knows and accepts that this will encompass the whole Christmas budget for his share. *shrug*

P.S. I also have to admit that Rise of the Tomb Raider looks extremely awesome and, though I am not a gamer at all, I actually want to tey this game. It could potentially become a connection point with this kid and that is always a good thing.

That is brilliant and hilarious.

My Dh got the same remote controller helicopter for four years, and I mean the very same one. It didn't work properly anymore last year, wouldn't hold a charge.

I warned my mom about that, .., or else Dh would get it again this year. I did offer to pick out a new one she could give him.

Edited by Julie Smith

I'm a meanie wienie. I'd just say that it's not possible this year, but I do have a history of despising computer games and game systems that is well established in our family. We have a 1st gen Wii that rarely gets used now and no other game systems.  

Is there an "experience" you could give him - like a weekend at Great Wolf Lodge or something  similar? Is he too  young to go for a delay like that? Tickets to a basketball game if he likes sports might be another possibility. 

My kids play with the WiiU at Target because my DS9 can get addicted to gaming. Ask him why he wants it then. We buy most of the stuff on our kids wish list but they have to justify their choice.

DS9 wants the sphero BB2. He would have to share with DS10 since we can't justify one each. At least they can chase after the sphero which is what they did at the store :)