Menu

Buying sheets

Night Elf

How do you buy good quality sheets? It seems that every set I look at on Amazon has bad reviews. I found a jersey cotton set which is what I have on my bed already and some complained the sheets shrunk and were a tight fit even after buying a larger size, i.e. buying a king set for a queen bed.

I have a cheap set that I got at Target and it's fine. Maybe I should just buy those again, but I thought it would be nice to spend some money and get a really good quality material.

I bought my dd a nice set of sheets for her dorm bed - they came back with her this weekend full of pills on both the fitted and flat sheets.  She asked if we could just buy a new set like the ones she has at home - the cheapest ones from Target & a much lower thread count.  We bought those today, yes it saves us money, but it's so disappointing when you pay a little extra for luxury & you get screwed.  

Costco has excellent shorts at great prices . 40.00 for queen set with 4pillowcases. Charisma brand .

Kirkland beans are more expensive but I haven't tried them yet.

As our kids were getting married or the older married ones needed new sheets they were great gifts. All four married couples put them on their Christmas list as they need them. There is a set wrapped for Christmas gift giving this year.

• Like 1

We have these sheets from Macy's for our queen bed, and I've been very satisfied with them. I even bought twin sheets for the girls' beds because I liked them so much after using ours for awhile. We've had them for two years now, in rotation with another set of sheets, and they're still in great shape. They're super smooth, and I prefer them over the other sheets we own. There's also a regular-depth option that may be a little cheaper if you don't need deep-pocket sheets. 

That said, I hear great things about the Costco sheets. I haven't tried them because for some reason our local Costco only seems to sell King sets and we have a queen bed  :glare:  But everyone seems to like them and consider them a great value. 

ETA: Huh, I guess not everyone loves them! It looks like a lot of the newer reviews on the Costco site are complaining that the newest sheets are less comfortable and a lot thinner than older sets. That's a real shame :(

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

We just ordered some flannel sheets from JCPenney on a Thanksgiving week sale. They have reviews on their website too, and many of the reviews said how thick and well made they were. We'll see what we think when they arrive. Maybe look for some highly reviewed sheets on a department store website? 

Erica in OR

I did read article on consumer reports which talks about sheets and thread count. I found it interesting that higher thread counts are not necessarily better since sometimes they use weaker threads to get higher thread counts or something like that. Well anyway, we bought 400 or 500 thread count at costco and the sheets ended ripped at the bottom near where our feet are. I also read that in the 1950s and 1960s that thread counts were about 160 and I recall my grandmother's sheets being great.

• Like 1

I did read article on consumer reports which talks about sheets and thread count. I found it interesting that higher thread counts are not necessarily better since sometimes they use weaker threads to get higher thread counts or something like that. Well anyway, we bought 400 or 500 thread count at costco and the sheets ended ripped at the bottom near where our feet are. I also read that in the 1950s and 1960s that thread counts were about 160 and I recall my grandmother's sheets being great.

Yes.

Thread count as used by most sheet manufacturers today is very much a "buyer beware" thing.  The sheets aren't any softer than 200 count (or even less) sheets were years ago, and they don't hold up.

My next sheets I think will be the 280 thread count pima cotton percale sheets from LL Bean.  They're spendy ($148 for a queen set), but percale sheets are what I grew up with.  They soften up over time and last forever, unlike most sheets today which last for a year or so and then rip.

Edited by Pawz4me

I got some sheets at Target that I love.  I forget the brand, but they don't come as sets.  You buy the fitted, top, and pillowcases separately.  They are some kind of brushed cotton. Very soft.  About $20 per sheet,  I think.  $10 for the pillowcases?

I've never been impressed with the feel of uber expensive sheets.  I mean, they've felt fine, but never way better than anything else.  Certainly nothing that makes me want to spend 4-5 times what's typical.

ETA: these were king sized

Edited by TammyS

I like the most expensive sheets from Ikea (still very cheap compared to other sheets), they're really smooth and kind of crisp.

I also have a couple sets of sheets from Amazon that are decent.

These from Amazon Pinzon Hemstitch 400-Thread-Count Egyptian Cotton Sateen Sheet Set, Full, Smokey Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NY4RW0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_i6Mwwb2356Z4A

Edited by kitten18