Menu

The thread you've all been waiting for...

Liz CA

I need two (2!!) delicious Thanksgiving dishes that can travel for 2.5 hours and still taste and look fantastic.

I have no creativity left. All I can think of is deviled eggs which I love but are not necessarily Thanksgiving-nish AND I need two dishes. Egg white  + Egg yolk = 2 ???  :lol: :lol:

Salad that you put together last minute, so all the additions are in separate bags or containers, kept in a cooler.

Dessert platter - cookies, fudge, etc.... Keep each kind in their own container until served.

Appetizer - cream cheese, crab meat, cocktail sauce, served with crackers; or brie and crackers

• Like 2

Relish tray to be assembled when you arrive

Pies

Rolls

This is from Woman's Day Magazine:

Thanksgiving Recipes That Travel Well:

1. Cranberry Sauce

2. Cheddar-Nut Cheese Spread

3. Wild Rice & Orzo

4. Mashed Potato Casserole

5. Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Apples

6. Green Bean Casserole

7. Roasted Veggies

8. Cheesy Mixed Vegetables

9. Pecan Pumpkin Pie

10. Lemon Cheesecake

• Like 1

Corn Pie . This stuff is so tasty that the person taht gave me the recipe ended up changing her email to cornpie, lol! Seriously, every time I bring this somewhere at least 3 people ask me for the recipe. And it's easy. And it can be served warm or at room temperature. Oh, and despite the name it is a side dish, not a dessert.

1 can corn (drained)

1 can creamed corn

1 box Jiffy corn muffin/bread mix

1 8oz container sour cream

2 sticks of softened butter

2 graham cracker crusts

Mixe everything up, pour into the two crusts. Bake at about 350 for about 1 hour, until middle is somewhat set. Will firm a bit more as it cools, but not a ton. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I am always THRILLED when people want to bring deviled edges to Thanksgiving at our place. Yum.

I would also second the salad suggestion. I always like something green on the table, and it is easy to travel with if you put it together when you arrive.

But, I have to say that Corn Pie Katie mentioned looks amazing. That may be making an inaugural appearance on our table this year:-)

• Like 1

Autumn Butternut Casserole:

Sauté 6 c sliced apples in 1 1/2 Tbs butter, sprinkle w/ 1/4 c sugar. When soft, spread in bottom of casserole dish.

Season 3 c of cooked, mashed squash with 4 Tbs butter, 1 Tbs brown sugar, salt & pepper. Spread evenly over apples.

Mix 1 1/3 c coarsely crushed corn flakes, 1/2 c chopped pecans, 1/2 c brown sugar and 2 Tbs melted butter. Sprinkle over squash. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until heated through.

You can make everything ahead of time, put the apples and squash in the dish and the cornflake mixture in another container. Then when you get to where you are going, sprinkle the cornflake mixture and bake it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Apple Crisp, and I'm sure my recipe is somewhere on these boards.

What I do to make it travel is prepeel and slice the apples, toss them with a little lemon juice to keep them from browning, premix the topping, and bring it all in the baking pan, along with my own personal stick of butter with which to butter the pan.

When I arrive I put everything in the fridge.

After we sit down at dinner and pray, I get up and butter the pan, pour in the apples, and pour the topping on top.  Then I put it in the oven with the timer on.  (By then I have full use of the kitchen because everyone is gone.  See how easy???)  It comes out of the oven about 10 minutes before it's time for dessert, so it's served warm and smelling wonderfully.

For the other, I usually make clam dip, which can be made in advance and transported in a large wide mouthed canning jar.  Good with wheat thins or potato chips.  Easy peasy.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

Apple crisp recipe is here:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/226659-apple-crisp-recipe/

Clam dip is:

8 oz cream cheese (must be full fat)

1 can of minced clams, drained, juice reserved

3 T clam juice

2 t lemon juice

2 t Worchteshire sauce

1/4 t white pepper

Garlic powder

Put all ingredients in a bowl.  Sprinkle liberally with garlic powder.  Mix with a fork.  Serve chilled.

• Like 1