Menu

Peel and core and slice thinly 10 small apples. I used Gala and Pink Lady varieties. Toss with 2 tsp. lemon juice so they don't brown.

Mix:

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup rolled oats

1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar

2 tablespoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg

2 generous pinches ground ginger

Cut in and mix thoroughly with your hands:

1 stick of unsalted butter

Thoroughly butter a 9 X 13 inch metal baking pan

Pour in the apple slices

Top with the mixture, covering it completely

Bake for 30 minutes at 375, checking to see whether the apples are soft before taking it out

This is SO good. Everyone that tried it LOVES it. And it's a great way to use up Fall apples, and not as unhealthy as other good recipes that I have tried. You could probably cut back a bit on the sugar.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I love apple crisp. My mom used to make it every fall and so it reminds me of growing up and family. I decided that I need to make it at least once every fall and so I made it last weekend. We invited friends over because it was too good to enjoy just on our own. Oh, and my kids had it for breakfast the next day.

I don't peel the apples - just cut any 10 apples of any variety into chunks and put into ungreased baking pan - cut up a stick of butter into tablespoon size pieces and radomly place on top of apples - cover the top with uncooked oatmeal (the more oatmeal, the more "crisp"- and pour a 1/2 of maple syrup on top - Bake for 30 minutes at 375, checking to see whether the apples are soft before taking it out

Myra

Edited by Myra

• 3 weeks later...
Peel and core and slice thinly 10 small apples. I used Gala and Pink Lady varieties. Toss with 2 tsp. lemon juice so they don't brown.

Mix:

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup rolled oats

1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar

2 tablespoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg---used 2t

2 generous pinches ground ginger--used 1/2 t

Added 1/2 t allspice

Cut in and mix thoroughly with your hands:

1 stick of unsalted butter

Thoroughly butter a 9 X 13 inch metal baking pan

Pour in the apple slices

Top with the mixture, covering it completely

Bake for 30 minutes at 375, checking to see whether the apples are soft before taking it out

This is SO good. Everyone that tried it LOVES it. And it's a great way to use up Fall apples, and not as unhealthy as other good recipes that I have tried. You could probably cut back a bit on the sugar.

Tried this again with the above modifications, also baked at 400 because last time we had to crank it up to get it done. It's in the oven right now. Smells wonderful!

Tis the season:

JOC's Apple crisp

pare, cor, and slice into a 9" pie pan

4C tart apples (or use the same amount peaches, slightly sugared rhubarb or pitted cherries)

season with 2T lemon juice or kirsch

Make a pastry of

1/2 c all purp flour

1/2 cup packed br sugar

1/4 cup butter

1/2 teas salt if the butter is unsalted

1 teas cinn (optional)

(You can also use 1 1/2 C crushed gingersnaps instead of the flour)

Spread the crumbles over the apples and bake about 30 minutes at 375F

Faster than pie and cools to a solid "roof" to travel well. Good with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or sour cream. Good hot or warm or cold.

Just GOOD.

Have the left overs the next morning over cornflakes and milk. :001_smile:

Tried this again with the above modifications, also baked at 400 because last time we had to crank it up to get it done. It's in the oven right now. Smells wonderful!

Oh my gosh, it was SO good. The more spices I put in, the better it gets. It browned pretty heavily on top before the butter all melted, though. I think moving back to 375 would be best, but maybe cooking it for 40 minutes will be needed.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...