Menu

Bad Kitty

Bear23

The cat that we adopted due to a natural disaster has reached her limits in living with us.  She was in a shelter where I volunteered. She was kept in a large cage away from other cats.  We fostered in hopes to find her a new home but stuff happens and she is now ours.  We have done four moves with this cat and at all places we have had issues with her spraying nearly everywhere.  This past month it's been peeing on us. That was the last straw.  It is totally behavioral and not medical. She does enjoy the outdoors but and husband and I are totally at odds about just letting her go outside.  We are in a quiet neighborhood but it's not country.  I am not comfortable leaving her out but he is.  Would she be happy stuck in a shelter in a cage. She doesn't even like other cats, had another cat when she came to our home.  or just let her be an outdoor cat where she can go into the small enclosed porch when she wants too?

Seriously, who wants to adopt a cat with a history of peeing all over the place?

She needs to be an outside cat. Some cats can actually be indoor outdoor, and stop spraying once they are allowed to go outdoors as that relieves the stress. I had one like that. Yes, there is a risk they will wander off and get hurt, but the other choice is euthanasia. I've also had a cat we had to do that with. He was a bottle fed orphan and just was never right, very nervous,etc. I would have tranferred him to being an outside cat but he was terrified to be outside. Basically, he was stressed out and miserable no matter what, and I did choose euthanasia. 

I'm sorry you are in this position. Often cats who are bottle fed end up like this, or those orphaned early. 

• Like 5

You could look at maybe antianxiety meds? Or try the outdoor access option. I don't see why it would be more dangerous in town than rurally--in a rural environment there are often more predators to which a cat is vulnerable. Unless it's been 4-foot de-clawed, it should be okay going outside.

• Like 3

I agree that you should just let her be an outdoor cat. With her history, she'll almost certainly be euthanized at a shelter, or spend the rest of her life in a cage. As long as you don't live in a place where you have six month dangerously-cold winters like we do here, I think letting her be an outdoor cat is the best of your options. She might have a slightly shorter life, but she'll most likely be happy.

• Like 5

I see two choices, euthanize or make her an outdoor cat. If the worry is that she will not live as long as an outdoor cat, then....that is longer than euthanizing her. It is worth trying. I am assuming she has been spayed and won't be making kittens. You can get a cat house that has a heating pad (made for this specific purpose) to keep her warm in the winter. My outdoor cat loves hers.

• Like 5

I am going to take her to a new vet tomorrow to double check to make sure she isn't sick.  I will looking into a heating pad for the porch.  This just be the best option, just wish she be like the other cat who don't care about anything except that she is fed and has a bed to sleep on all day long.

• Like 3

I am going to take her to a new vet tomorrow to double check to make sure she isn't sick.  I will looking into a heating pad for the porch.  This just be the best option, just wish she be like the other cat who don't care about anything except that she is fed and has a bed to sleep on all day long.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZJOH06?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

This is what I got. It has worked well. pretty sure you can also just order the pad. It is safer than just a regular heating pad.

• Like 3

There are several medications that can be given to cats for inappropriate elimination that have very good success rates.  So maybe ask your vet about those if (maybe that should be a big IF) kitty will tolerate taking a pill daily.  If not, I don't think letting her be an outside kitty is a terrible thing, and it's certainly preferable to euthanasia or living out her life in a cage.  Other than her safety, my biggest concern would be that she would bother the neighbors (pooping in flower beds, etc.).

• Like 2

Took Miss Kitty to the vet and she was a sick kitty.  She has since been put on antibiotics and is scheduled to have her teeth clean after her 2 wk check up.  Since that visit there have not been any issues.  Was also told to give the cats patee can food with water. This is better than dry cat food.  The cats seem to love this and out other cat hasn't need after the bathroom sink since we started feeding her this way.  After their morning can, I do put dry in there and do can again at night.  They seem to be happy. Also Miss Kitty hasn't been meowing like before and started to play with her toy nip balls and mice.

• Like 11

Took Miss Kitty to the vet and she was a sick kitty.  She has since been put on antibiotics and is scheduled to have her teeth clean after her 2 wk check up.  Since that visit there have not been any issues.  Was also told to give the cats patee can food with water. This is better than dry cat food.  The cats seem to love this and out other cat hasn't need after the bathroom sink since we started feeding her this way.  After their morning can, I do put dry in there and do can again at night.  They seem to be happy. Also Miss Kitty hasn't been meowing like before and started to play with her toy nip balls and mice.

That's a good update!  I'm glad they were able to find something that can be fixed.  :) 

• Like 1

Glad to hear things are improving!

For cats with health issues, high quality dry foods are much easier on their bodies than stuff like Purina. My elderly kitty started having kidney problems when she was around eleven. I started buying grain-free food from the pet store and supplementing with canned food, and it cleared the problem right up. Earthborne Holistics is a good brand that isn't outrageously expensive. 

Some cats just need to be outdoors.  It's ok.  Kitty may be very happy with this arrangement and it's better than euthanizing.

I have a cat who was an orphan out of a neighborhood feral mama cat whose aggressive tendencies toned way down once we started letting him outside. It wasn't as ideal as indoors, but it sure beat getting our ankles and my walls scratched up. A few hours a day/night outside made the inside hours so much better for us all.