Menu

Fluid in middle ear - any natural remedies?

mathnerd

DS has been diagnosed with fluid in his middle ear (blocked ears). He has been prescribed allergy medication and if it does not help, we have a referral to see an ENT. He has taken the medication for a few weeks and we see no improvement. We will followup with the ENT soon. I am hoping that I can help him with some home remedy for it in the meanwhile. I am having him sleep with his head raised, used ear drops, used a hair dryer on really low setting to dry out his ear after showers. Any other things that I could try? TIA!

If he's old enough, have him chew gum and make yawning motions (wide jaw) with his mouth.  These motions "massage" the inner ear and sometimes will help to get things moving.  I also find it's soothing to put a drop or two of olive oil in the ear.  Gives a bit of counter-pressure to help the ear drum push it back into place.

• Like 2

Putting stuff IN the ears will not work.  The fluid is trapped behind the eardrum and the Eustachian tube is swollen for some reason and not allowing the ear to drain normally.   If medication does not open the Eustachian tube, then placing PE tubes in the ear drum is usually the next course of action

Does he have braces? My dd suddenly had fluid in her inner ear that lasted for a few weeks. When we went to the orthodontist, her bite had been overcorrected, so she had to start wearing her rubber bands the opposite direction. Her ears were clear within two days. Orthodontist said that it definitely could have been her jaw alignment closing off her tubes and allowing fluid to build up. 

• Like 1

You can try filling a sink or bowl with very hot but not boiling water, putting your face over it, and covering your head and the sink/bowl with a big towel. Putting some eucalyptus essential oil in the water can make it feel like it's opening up too.  It's important to keep your nose down over the water.  Part of the reason this works better than a steamy shower is that gravity carries out the sinus drainage. 

A neti pot can also help if the child is old enough to not inhale the water.

Personally I would combine that with an anti-inflammatory and real Sudafed (the kind you have to sign for behind the pharmacy counter, not that worthless other kind).  Relieving swelling of the tubes and the congestion that blocks them will both help a lot.

Health food stores that sell essential oils oftentimes stock little inhalers filled with oils that help sinus issues.  They're shaped like a lipstick and have a couple holes in the top of the tube that you hold up to your nose to smell.  At the bottom of the tube is a pad with a few drops of oils such as eucalyptus and other things that smell a little like Vicks vaporub.  Don't use essential oils for kids under three.  I've heard a few anecdotal horror stories, and I don't know if safety studies have been done. If you have a bit more money you can get a cold diffuser that basically pushes the oil into the air.  Again, don't use with pets or kids under 3 around.

If you're sure the eardrum is intact you can also put a couple of drops of peroxide in the affected ear.  Keep head tilted to the side until you stop hearing it bubble, drain into a washcloth, and repeat until the bubbling stops.  This won't move fluid behind the eardrum, but it will loosen any wax build up that can irritate a painful ear, and if there's an external ear infection it can help.

• Like 1

I can't seem to ETA without the page crashing, but if it's allergies you should try Benadryl and Tylenol or Advil on a morning when he doesn't have much to do.

In the morning because there's a paradoxical effect on some kids, where it makes them hyper.

When there's not much to do in case it knocks him out.

If it knocks him out you can give him a nightly dose of benadryl every night, and claritan or some non-drowsy med in the mornings.  Get a doctor's recommendation on that though in case there are other issues I'm not aware of.

• Like 1

This works for me occasionally:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

How old is your DS? 

We tried several approaches for our son's middle ear glue, including prescription antihistamines, chiropractor visits, and various ear positioning/massaging techniques. Unfortunately, none significantly relieved his middle ear pressure, and he was recommended ear tubes as a way to preserve his hearing. (He also has a non-related hearing deficit.)

Friends have had great success with their son and chiro, though.

• Like 1

If you do some youtube looking, there are massages that might help. Look for chiros or cst's who make videos. Here's one that looks similar to what we were taught when my son struggled.

That said, we got the kid cleared up when was facing tubes with things like this. Then, 1.5 years later, he developed mastoiditis. He had surgery, a week long hospital stay, IV antibiotics. And I wished I had done tubes 1.5 years before! Sometimes ears just don't drain right. If this is an older child not prone to infections generally, disregard.

• Like 2

If he's old enough, have him chew gum and make yawning motions (wide jaw) with his mouth.  These motions "massage" the inner ear and sometimes will help to get things moving.  I also find it's soothing to put a drop or two of olive oil in the ear.  Gives a bit of counter-pressure to help the ear drum push it back into place.

This is what our Urgent Care doctor recommends.  I feel very fortunate to have a UC that differentiates between fluid being present and an active infection!