Menu

Why did I do that?! (ELTL)

Mommy to monkeys

I've seen ELTL mentioned many many times in the past year or so on the forums but hadn't paid much attention to it. Must be just another English program.

Today I made the mistake of looking at samples.

Nooooooooo! I love it. Yet another program that I want to try even though what I'm using is perfectly ok.

(If everyone could stop writing awesome curriculum that tempts me, that would be awesome.)

In all seriousness, though, this looks like a really well done and user friendly program. Concise, 3 days a week, great selections, no busy work. What am I missing? Can someone convince me that I shouldn't use this with my middle two kids next year? Please. Or tell me I'm right and I'll love it and want to draw hearts all over it. 

• Like 1

I think it's amazing.   :leaving:    I only wish I'd seen it before using LLATL last year...I have no idea why I didn't take a closer look at this first!  

One common complaint that I've seen is that their DC aren't retaining what they are learning.  However, we review the grammar definitions and other memory work 3x per week (when we work on poetry memorization)...I wonder if some families skip this part.

• Like 2

I know!  I keep looking at it.  But the reason I'm not using it is because it's new.  I don't want to give up what is working for us for something without a track record.  

Yes. This exactly. I don't WANT (or do I?)  to quit using what we're using in case there's something in this that doesn't "work" long term. Kinks to be worked out. But I can foresee regretting NOT using it a few years from now when it proves to be effective. I'm so wishy washy. 

I think it's amazing.   :leaving:    I only wish I'd seen it before using LLATL last year...I have no idea why I didn't take a closer look at this first!  

One common complaint that I've seen is that their DC aren't retaining what they are learning.  However, we review the grammar definitions and other memory work 3x per week (when we work on poetry memorization)...I wonder if some families skip this part.

The LLATL comparison/contrast is a good one. I've always like the idea of LLATL but have been unimpressed with the samples of what's actually in there. This. just. looks. perfect.

As far as retention, I'd be very curious to see how it's going for children who've used it for a couple years or more AS INTENDED with memory work and all. 

As far as retention, I'd be very curious to see how it's going for children who've used it for a couple years or more AS INTENDED with memory work and all. 

I don't know of anyone who's used it that long.  The memory work repeats somewhat from year to year though, so it seems like it should be a successful program to me.  I love that the younger grades learn things like months of the year or their address and phone number.  The grammar memory has been things like the definition of a noun, pronoun, verb, list of helping verbs, etc.  I have 3 DC using it and some have the same things, but each level goes in a slightly different order and speed.  We do the memory together and they just join in with the definitions they have written in their index card notebooks.

• Like 1

I don't know of anyone who's used it that long.  The memory work repeats somewhat from year to year though, so it seems like it should be a successful program to me.  I love that the younger grades learn things like months of the year or their address and phone number.  The grammar memory has been things like the definition of a noun, pronoun, verb, list of helping verbs, etc.  I have 3 DC using it and some have the same things, but each level goes in a slightly different order and speed.  We do the memory together and they just join in with the definitions they have written in their index card notebooks.

I like the repetition aspect. And I see that you have lots of kids with a toddler in the mix. This gives me hope that I may actually be able to pull it off. Do you use the workbook?

I like the repetition aspect. And I see that you have lots of kids with a toddler in the mix. This gives me hope that I may actually be able to pull it off. Do you use the workbook?

I typed up the first term of Levels 2 and 4, but when I got to level 5, I bought the PDF workbook.  I didn't feel up to typing it all out since the passages were much longer.   :blush: The workbooks are really just a time saver.  There are lots of free online programs for making your own handwriting pages (for the upper levels, the kids pick their own passages), and the grammar lessons can be typed up in any word processing program.  My oldest just does her copywork in a journal from Dollar General.   The other two are using Print to Cursive Proverbs from SCM in place of the copywork.  Once they learn cursive, they'll go back to handwriting pages or a copywork journal.   

I'd like to look at the samples, but the process is much messier than what I'm willing to deal with. :glare:

Take a look at the samples that are up at Amazon.

I typed up the first term of Levels 2 and 4, but when I got to level 5, I bought the PDF workbook.  I didn't feel up to typing it all out since the passages were much longer.   :blush: The workbooks are really just a time saver.  There are lots of free online programs for making your own handwriting pages (for the upper levels, the kids pick their own passages), and the grammar lessons can be typed up in any word processing program.  My oldest just does her copywork in a journal from Dollar General.   The other two are using Print to Cursive Proverbs from SCM in place of the copywork.  Once they learn cursive, they'll go back to handwriting pages or a copywork journal.

This is helpful.

This is our first year using ELTL and I love it, my kids love it. I'm using levels 1, 3, and 5.

I don't use the grammar memory work yet, but I have written flashcards for it when we need it. So far they are not struggling with the grammar yet. When they do we will use the flashcards, and if necessary supplement from another grammar book for more practice,but so fast I haven't had to do that.

I use the workbook for level 1, but my level 3 & 5 kids write it in a composition book. They will do the grammar, copy work, and dictation all on the same page. Not a big deal here. They are also independent with this program, except I have started having then read the poem aloud to me and then we talk about it, otherwise they tend to skip the poetry bc they found the selections difficult to understand. And of course I do the picture study and dictation with them.

Another thing I love about ELTL is that the literature is in the public domain and much of it is in librivox too. I have my level 1 kid listening to her book chapter while following along in her book. This helps me because I have a 2, 4, and 5 year old at home that don't leave me alone for long enough periods of time to let me read aloud without many interruptions.

In conclusion, I puffy-heart ELTL and highly recommend it.

• Like 2

This is our first year using ELTL and I love it, my kids love it. I'm using levels 1, 3, and 5.

I don't use the grammar memory work yet, but I have written flashcards for it when we need it. So far they are not struggling with the grammar yet. When they do we will use the flashcards, and if necessary supplement from another grammar book for more practice,but so fast I haven't had to do that.

I use the workbook for level 1, but my level 3 & 5 kids write it in a composition book. They will do the grammar, copy work, and dictation all on the same page. Not a big deal here. They are also independent with this program, except I have started having then read the poem aloud to me and then we talk about it, otherwise they tend to skip the poetry bc they found the selections difficult to understand. And of course I do the picture study and dictation with them.

Another thing I love about ELTL is that the literature is in the public domain and much of it is in librivox too. I have my level 1 kid listening to her book chapter while following along in her book. This helps me because I have a 2, 4, and 5 year old at home that don't leave me alone for long enough periods of time to let me read aloud without many interruptions.

Would you mind sharing what you were using before switching to ELTL and how it compares?

Would you mind sharing what you were using before switching to ELTL and how it compares?

We were using Rod and Staff, and not getting around to dictation, copywork, or poetry very often on my own. Rod and Staff is great for grammar; lots of practice and repetition. For learning grammar it is excellent. But my kids hated it, and that's a big deal to me. I didn't want them to hate school. And R&S had no beauty or joy; it was drill and kill, and for what? So my kids could be expert grammarians? While grammar is still really important to me, I've learned to let go of that level of intensity for more poetry, literature, beauty, simplicity, and joy in learning. The grammar that is in ELTL is enough and I believe it is effective. It ties in the other important parts of language arts (composition, literature, poetry, art) into one book. I love that. With R&S, the other pieces were pieced together by me, and I was inconsistent.

• Like 3

I really like the idea of using librivox with it. That's how we did our brief stint with AO a few years ago and the kids liked listening and reading along. The more I stare at the samples, the more I think I puffy-heart ELTL too.

You made me look you know....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Sorry! Human nature, I suppose. ;)

For those of you using it, how did you determine placement?

Regarding placement, see her FAQ's here:  http://barefootmeandering.com/site/faq/

You can always contact the author regarding placement, she's more than helpful!  She did tell me that the program in 4th and 5th is a bit more rigorous, and that it's wiser to start one level below grade level, especially if you and your child are new to the program.  I'm sure it depends on what you have already done, but we were fairly new to homeschooling and I didn't think my dd's would be ready for it, so  I decided not to use it with my 4th and 5th graders, and opted for FLL 4, sometimes I wish I hadn't done that.  There's always next year, right?  But, I am using Level 1 with my 1st grader and it is quite gentle.  It actually works well with FLL 1 (with which I find myself turning pages quickly because it's so much repetition!).

• Like 1

I'm using it a grade level below, just because. I love the books so much that I wanted it to last longer and I didn't want them to miss out on the poetry and literature. Level 5 is pretty intense for my sixth grader. Long copy work and dictation passages,and the grammar will get more complicated soon. Level 3 for my 4th grader is light for dictation, but everything else seems age-appropriate. Level 1 for my 2nd grader is light for copywork, but the stories and poetry are appropriate. It's easy to add in extra writing in other subjects when needed.

• Like 1

I can totally see why others love it.  It really does look great and fills the need for many.

However, this thread has actually helped me to decide that I don't want to switch, and that what we're doing really does work for us.

I already have our grammar scheduled for 3 days a week (R&S) by not doing any of the review or writing exercises.  It only takes us minutes to go over the lesson and do a few practice exercises to show comprehension.  We were already doing flash card review for memory.

Dictation gets done because I keep the dictation book with the grammar book and commit to doing it every time we do grammar.

With ELTL, you'd have to add handwriting in the early years, and Pentime fits the bill for us.  Plus, I even love Pentime later for copywork.

As far as picture study, literature and poetry: we do those together as a family.  I really think that for my kids, it would lose the fun to switch it from cozy-on-the-couch as a group to doing it as a lesson in their school book.

Writing we do with our history and science already.  then add something more formal in 7th.

I'm only saying all this because I keep looking longingly at ELTL for the sake of streamlining. I realize that I actually love pulling from different resources. So in case someone else is on the fence like I was, I just wanted to throw it out there that for me, the grass isn't necessarily greener.  

However, I still would highly recommend it to someone as an excellent curriculum for those wanting a blend between CM and classical.  I truly think it looks great, and I'm glad it works so well for those who use it!  I'd love to see it take off and last long term in the homeschool market.

• Like 4

I can totally see why others love it.  It really does look great and fills the need for many.

However, this thread has actually helped me to decide that I don't want to switch, and that what we're doing really does work for us.

The realization that something ISN'T for you is every bit as important as finding something does. 

• Like 4

I love ELTL! My son either reads the stories to me or we popcorn read by page. It's created great memories for us. We rented the books from the library but then started buying them because they are classics and the memories of reading (like Oz and Peter Pan) them are so wonderful. We schedule it five days a week because the library needed them back and we can't wait to read the next chapter. We school four weeks on and one week off so all of the stories except Oz fit before break. Oz we schooled five weeks and then took a break. If the story finishes early in the four weeks I pull out WWE and do a lesson or two a day to fill till break.

I started with ELTL 1 last year doing Gutenburg copies on the Kindle but my sons face was turning red while reading so we stopped. We did a couple with Librivox, like Five Children and It because the reader makes it come alive so well.

I love the art appreciation, poems, and fables. They lead us into discussing behaviors and the world around us each morning. ELTL 1 is extremely light but ELTL 2 picks up (if you are keeping up with the memory work). I suggest taking a spiral notebook and copying in the memory work as you come to it to have it handy. We don't use the workbooks because I'm cheap. I copy one story worth at a time into a spiral notebook. One lesson per page. I use a highlighter on the lesson that also is the copywork.

We find story editions that, obviously are unabridged, have attractive pictures. Public domain editions are usually just the words and sometimes the print was too small to really enjoy it. I can't wait to start ELTL 1 with my next son. The stories are so great.

• Like 3

I'd looked at this in the last but hadn't really given it full consideration. This post made me take a 2nd look and now I think we might try it next year, possibly just for my (will be) 2nd grader but maybe for both. It contains things we've neglected this year (like poetry and picture study) that I want to do and just haven't done. I'd love to hear from others who have tried it.

• Like 2

I'm thoroughly confused. My boys are in 1st and K. We've been doing FLL 1 and I was planning on starting WWE with my 1st grader after the holidays. But then I saw ELTL...

I love that it includes picture study, literature, fables, poetry and Scripture in the lessons. It sounds so rich and enjoyable! And narration and copywork need more attention over here. But I know FLL is supposed to be great. What do I do? At the very least, I have decided to schedule in more great literature, poetry, etc and get going on copywork and narration. But should I use ELTL to do this? I hate to miss out on any curriculum, so I'm torn between FLL/WWE and ELTL. Advice???

Just to play devil's advocate....  Are you an all-in-one LA person?  Once every 4 or 5 years or so I think it sounds like a great idea.  But when I've tried all-in-ones I haven't lasted long.  It won't be enough grammar, or spelling, or I'd rather they read something else at the moment for whatever reason, or I don't like the required book in the first place, or whatever.  I'd rather address goals for each part separately and have flexibility to adjust each one separately if needed.  So that might be something to think about.   

• Like 4

You're not even formally schooling yet? By the time you get there there will be a third awesome looking curriculum. Then you'll be in serious trouble!

We're formally doing 1st and K with my oldest 2 boys. I don't have to file with the state yet, if that's what you mean.

I know, I am already such a curriculum junkie. I'm in trouble... ;)

• Like 1

Just to play devil's advocate.... Are you an all-in-one LA person? Once every 4 or 5 years or so I think it sounds like a great idea. But when I've tried all-in-ones I haven't lasted long. It won't be enough grammar, or spelling, or I'd rather they read something else at the moment for whatever reason, or I don't like the required book in the first place, or whatever. I'd rather address goals for each part separately and have flexibility to adjust each one separately if needed. So that might be something to think about.

That is a good question. I would probably add in so much that it wouldn't be worth it ;)
  • Like 1

We're formally doing 1st and K with my oldest 2 boys. I don't have to file with the state yet, if that's what you mean.

I know, I am already such a curriculum junkie. I'm in trouble... ;)

I didn't know about the older 2. I know what you mean though. I could fill a library with everything I'd like to try. I need at least 7 kids.

• Like 2

I'm thoroughly confused. My boys are in 1st and K. We've been doing FLL 1 and I was planning on starting WWE with my 1st grader after the holidays. But then I saw ELTL...

I love that it includes picture study, literature, fables, poetry and Scripture in the lessons. It sounds so rich and enjoyable! And narration and copywork need more attention over here. But I know FLL is supposed to be great. What do I do? At the very least, I have decided to schedule in more great literature, poetry, etc and get going on copywork and narration. But should I use ELTL to do this? I hate to miss out on any curriculum, so I'm torn between FLL/WWE and ELTL. Advice???

This is me.

FLL/WWE is working out fine for us. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also, looking at ELTL's samples, it seems that ELTL 1 is a level BELOW FLL 1. The material in the ELTL 2 sample seems to be what we're doing now in FLL1.

For me it's also a money factor. I bought the old FLL 1/2 for $5 used and am using the WWE Instructor Text with SOTW 1. So I don't need to buy anything new for 2nd grade.

I do record the liturature lists from ELTL to use as read alouds. We just don't do any english lessons with them. ;)

• Like 2

This is me.

FLL/WWE is working out fine for us. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also, looking at ELTL's samples, it seems that ELTL 1 is a level BELOW FLL 1. The material in the ELTL 2 sample seems to be what we're doing now in FLL1.

For me it's also a money factor. I bought the old FLL 1/2 for $5 used and am using the WWE Instructor Text with SOTW 1. So I don't need to buy anything new for 2nd grade.

I do record the liturature lists from ELTL to use as read alouds. We just don't do any english lessons with them. ;)

I like this plan :)

Just to play devil's advocate....  Are you an all-in-one LA person?  Once every 4 or 5 years or so I think it sounds like a great idea.  But when I've tried all-in-ones I haven't lasted long.  It won't be enough grammar, or spelling, or I'd rather they read something else at the moment for whatever reason, or I don't like the required book in the first place, or whatever.  I'd rather address goals for each part separately and have flexibility to adjust each one separately if needed.  So that might be something to think about.   

Actually all-in-one is a plus for me. I'm much more consistent with less "things" to pull from. More things on my list is really stressful for me.

• Like 1

For those of you using it, how did you determine placement?

I went with a year behind...she suggests using it on grade level or one year behind.  So my 3rd grader is in level 2, my 5th grader is in level 4.  I wasn't sure about my 8th grader using it since level 5 was the highest level released...I think she may send you the first part of level 6 if you request it, and it's supposed to be out soon.  Somewhere I read that children should have completed levels 4 & 5 before high school, so we ended up going with level 5.  It's been a good fit for her, but I could see it being too easy for this grade if they've already done very much diagramming and writing (outlines, narrations, etc.).  

• Like 1

I went with a year behind...she suggests using it on grade level or one year behind.  So my 3rd grader is in level 2, my 5th grader is in level 4.  I wasn't sure about my 8th grader using it since level 5 was the highest level released...I think she may send you the first part of level 6 if you request it, and it's supposed to be out soon.  Somewhere I read that children should have completed levels 4 & 5 before high school, so we ended up going with level 5.  It's been a good fit for her, but I could see it being too easy for this grade if they've already done very much diagramming and writing (outlines, narrations, etc.).  

I did correspond with the author and am comfortable with her suggestion for my 8th grader (next year) to use level 6. I may add in an IEW theme book. We shall see. Even though the level is below his grade level, it's still way more writing than we've done. . .which is sad. Too much grammar. Not enough writing.