Menu

Ack! Birthday party anxiety

ThursdayNext

I need to be calmed down about my daughter's birthday party. We had planned for an outdoor party with chili in the backyard and now there is 90% chance of rain. :(

There are 18 children and 14 or so adults coming. We cannot fit so many in our house.

Ack!

I didn't expect everyone to say yes to the invite. And when I gave to option of dropping off or coming with the family, I expected some would be happy just to drop a kid off. Nope. I guess they all like us. I don't know what I got myself into. And I'm an introvert with a usually manageable level of social anxiety.

We cannot throw money at the problem by renting a place or enormous tent. If anyone can calm me down I would be so so grateful.

Figure out if you can move furniture and make one or two rooms a play area. Carpeted floor, play tunnels and a box of dress ups is great party entertainment. That's what I did for a 7 year old 11 years ago. I think I had art supplies out too. The parents backed themselves into a corner. The adults know you can't control weather. They made themselves as small as possible and let the kids have fun.

ETA I think dealing with rescheduling is much harder.

• Like 3

Do you have a family member with a bigger house that you can offer to clean before and after?(as an incentive/thank you)  I have had parties with that many in a modestly sized house.  Depending on the ages, you can do a movie/snack afternoon to keep down the running around.  I would also plan centers with a craft .  I have done cookie decorating stations, (Do consider children with allergies here)  There are all sorts of indoor games(not running about).  Just search pinterest.  I also did a Minute to Win It Party theme one year.  It was fun!  Those games are indoor, easy prep games.  For a prize, I printed off million dollar bills and wrapped them around Hershey bars.  Should go well with all those adults to help!:) Put them to work.

Figure out if you can move furniture and make one or two rooms a play area. Carpeted floor, play tunnels and a box of dress ups is great party entertainment. That's what I did for a 7 year old 11 years ago. I think I had art supplies out too. The parents backed themselves into a corner. The adults know you can't control weather. They made themselves as small as possible and let the kids have fun.

ETA I think dealing with rescheduling is much harder.

This we can do. Rearranging furniture would probably help a lot.

Do you have a garage available? Or a nearby park pavilion?

We have a garage, but it is full of junk. And it has been raining all week, so a park won't work.

The last time we had a big group over it was 22 people and we felt our house was as full it could be. Crowds give me such a sick feeling in my stomach and I have no idea why I did this. Well, besides trying to make my daughter happy.

Now the little brother is running a fever of 102.5. Is rescheduling the right thing to do, or see how he feels in the morning, or try to quarantine him in his room with the iPad and let the show go on?

Yes, reschedule. 24 hours fever free (without meds) is the medical standard for not exposing others. Even if he wakes up with no fever, it will be within that window.

• Like 2

I'd isolate the brother (maybe get your dh to isolate with him somewhere) rather than rescheduling. Rescheduling often means many of your guests won't be able to come to the new date. Especially as you get closer to Thanksgiving.

Another vote to reschedule. I wouldn't want my family to attend a party in a home where someone has a 102.5 degree fever.

Also, how would you take care of your son while also attending to the party? You would be exposing a lot of people to a lot of nasty germs, but even more importantly, you would have to neglect a child who is feeling awfully sick, and who would also be sad about missing the party.

Even worse -- what if your dd comes down with the same illness halfway through the party?

I don't see any option other than rescheduling.

Sorry things aren't turning out as planned! :grouphug:

I'm sorry your son is sick. :(

I'd reschedule. If you don't, at least let everyone know ahead of time that there is a high fever in the house (I know some don't view that fever as high, but my kids would be very sick with a fever that high), so they can decide accordingly. We have two with compromised immune systems in our family, and would need to avoid exposure. You never know who else might be the same - we don't always announce our immune status.

I hope he feels better soon!

• Like 1

Another vote to reschedule. I wouldn't want my family to attend a party in a home where someone has a 102.5 degree fever.

Also, how would you take care of your son while also attending to the party? You would be exposing a lot of people to a lot of nasty germs, but even more importantly, you would have to neglect a child who is feeling awfully sick, and who would also be sad about missing the party.

Even worse -- what if your dd comes down with the same illness halfway through the party?

I don't see any option other than rescheduling.

Sorry things aren't turning out as planned! :grouphug:

I'm sorry your son is sick, but I agree ^^^^. I would be very unhappy if I unknowingly took my kids to a party at a house where someone was ill.

• Like 1