• Buddhist
    • Jewish
    • Athiest
    • Christian-Protestant
    • Christian- Orthodox
    • Christian- Catholic
    • Christian- Jehovah's Witness
    • Christian- Latter Day Saints (Mormon)

Hmm. I don't think Mormons are technically Protestants. They are Restorationists, and Restorationists are considered neither Protestant, Catholic, or Orthodox.

I think.

PariSarah? Oh, PariSarah? What say the scholars?

Right. They are not considered Protestants.

Thank you for posted this thread. When I said a few weeks ago that the vast majority of the posters (those who actually post) are Christian. I was told that I was wrong, maybe a 60/40 spilt. That did not sound right to me. So far, what are we running... 77/23?

Jenny: an agnostic Episcopalian of Jewish decent (on mother's side), who likes Buddhist teachings, but not a good enough personal to follow through with them. :lol:

Hmm. I don't think Mormons are technically Protestants. They are Restorationists, and Restorationists are considered neither Protestant, Catholic, or Orthodox.

--I think they were called primitivists back when I was learning church history. :) But, yes, they weren't part of the Protestant Reformation. Members of the Radical Reformation are also sometimes not considered Protestant. I'm not sure the distinction is useful to anyone but ecumenists (people who are working on the "problem" of church unity) and historians. Colloquially, "Protestant" refers to any non-Catholic, non-Orthodox, ecumenically-recognized church. There's enough cross-pollination going on in the histories of all modern denominations that it's hard to categorize them neatly.

I'm trying to phrase this as carefully as I can, but I want to note that some groups which trace their historical roots to Christianity are not currently part of even the most theologically generous ecumenical movements. Their claims to be Christian sound, to the ecumenical church, like a Christian's claim to be Jewish. Sure, my Jewish friends reply, your religion used to be a Jewish sect. But it's not anymore, so would you mind knocking off the "Judeo-Christian" language?

Figuring out how to navigate such problems is a difficult one--who but God gets to decide who's Jewish? or Christian?--but for my part, it is hard to accept groups with no institutional connection to the ecumenical church as Protestant churches. (Caveat lector: I am making no statement at all as to the faith or salvation of individuals within those churches. I am speaking only of their institutional manifestations.) So the designation of "Protestant" for such groups is highly contested.

Thank you. I actually learned something today. Restoratationists include the Mormons, the Anabaptists, and the Quakers and others. Previously I would have lumped these groups in with the "Martin Luther" group. I'm off to read more carefully what defines these as a group in and of themselves.

Going off to sample a new flavor of frozen dessert. See y'all a bit later.

Not yet willing to claim the Restorationist are seperate from the Protestants since many of these new divisions originated through the first and second great awakenings. I think for me, academically speaking, they are still a subset of the Protestants, even though believers on both sides say otherwise. Thanks for the good conversation folks. It was a pleasant day. bye

I said "other" though I would normally say "Christian, Protestant" as in Christian but not Catholic. However the separation of Jehovah's Witness and LDS made me question that answer. There are some points on which we agree with Jehovah's Witnesses and others on which we very much disagree. Though I've heard and read some on LDS, I really don't understand their theology at all, but I've been told by LDS members that they categorize themselves as Christian and that they do not believe in the trinity.

We are:

Christian

Non-denominational

Non-trinitarian (but not Unitarian or Oneness)

Pentecostal/charismatic (but not the snake handlin' or holy rollin' type--no offense intended to any who may be)

I really have trouble when people want to pin me down and put me in some religious category. Other than just Christian, I am not sure what to say. I don't think there is any one more specific category we fit into. People always seem to need to pin down exactly what we are and make it all neat and tidy so they feel they have a handle on things and know what to expect from us. It's a rather foreign way of thinking to me.

That said - your flavour of ice cream sounds delicious! :D (blood oranges and all - though they're kinda creepy looking...I bought some once and dd11 was interested until I made the mistake of telling her what they were called... she wouldn't touch them. :tongue_smilie: )

My 11yodd did the same thing about a year ago, except her eyes welled up with tears and she ran out of the room! She thought I was playing some really cruel trick on her.:lol:

Okay, that was totally OT, but I had to say it:D

I don't want any preaching or arguing, or even some of us judging behind the scenes based on answers.

The part of your post I've quoted above almost kept me from responding with more than a vote. I do fear that judgment goes on in rather insidious ways. I fear this because I have lived it. But, anyway, here goes...

I profess no religion. Not anymore. I cannot, in good conscience, align myself with a single belief system. I have been there, wholly and utterly immersed. But, the day came when I realized that, for me, living under the principles of a single religion caused me to be judgmental, for I could not separate myself from the idea that if this was right then that was wrong. I know there are believers from all religions who are able to do this. I just wasn't among them. Thus, I walked away from religion but opened out in acceptance of all faiths. I embrace the divine - the ultimate good - in all believers. I am now an other. But, I actually feel more like an "all of the above". ;)

Though I've heard and read some on LDS, I really don't understand their theology at all, but I've been told by LDS members that they categorize themselves as Christian and that they do not believe in the trinity.

This is correct. We believe in God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost--we just don't believe that they are one in substance, according to the Trinitarian doctrine. We don't see that in the Bible, and we don't accept any of the post-Biblical creeds or councils, which is one reason why many people don't consider us Christian at all. This tends to confuse Mormons, who are sincere believers in Jesus Christ as the Savior of the world, exactly as described in the Bible.

Primitivists would be another good term to describe LDS beliefs; we believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church and that it needed to be restored--thus the Restorationist label.

I clicked protestant, but honestly, I didn't see the "other" so I picked the closest thing.

I attend a non-denominational Bible teaching church. We have Calvinist leanings, but aren't reformed in the sense of covenant theology. We are dispensationalists and don't really align with any denomination wholly.

This is correct. We believe in God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost--we just don't believe that they are one in substance, according to the Trinitarian doctrine. We don't see that in the Bible, and we don't accept any of the post-Biblical creeds or councils, which is one reason why many people don't consider us Christian at all. This tends to confuse Mormons, who are sincere believers in Jesus Christ as the Savior of the world, exactly as described in the Bible.

Primitivists would be another good term to describe LDS beliefs; we believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church and that it needed to be restored--thus the Restorationist label.

Maybe I'm LDS:lol: Okay, not really, but I agree with everything you've said here. However, I think I would likely disagree with some LDS teachings that are not included in the traditional Christian Bible but are included in The Book of Mormon (That's what it's called, right?) just as I would disagree with some of the teachings in apocryphal books and post-Biblical creeds. It's interesting, isn't it?

I didn't vote. We are in a non-denominational Christian Church. I don't consider us to be any of those listed, just plain Christian. Dh was raised in a WELS (Wisconsin Evangelical Luteran Synod Church) which his whole family is still members of, but we had issues with the fellowship doctrine & left. We are the black sheep in his family.

Phlox

Wow, same here. We just quit organized religion altogether, though. We call ourselves just plain Christians, but neither my husband nor I could handle the "can't-pray-with-other-Christians" doctrine from the WELS. He grew up in the church, moved 400 miles from home when he was in the 9th grade to attend their private high school. His parents wanted him to be a pastor. He never had the temperament for that.

That said, I hold my religious beliefs tightly and probably have some beliefs that others would find questionable.

We're the blacksheep, too, and get lectured from his family. Oh well. We're both pretty stubborn and let it roll off our backs.

Maybe I'm LDS:lol: Okay, not really, but I agree with everything you've said here. However, I think I would likely disagree with some LDS teachings that are not included in the traditional Christian Bible but are included in The Book of Mormon (That's what it's called, right?) just as I would disagree with some of the teachings in apocryphal books and post-Biblical creeds. It's interesting, isn't it?
Heh. Yes, it is interesting! Mormons actually have 4 books of scripture--the Book of Mormon is one, but it actually contains doctrine that matches up with what is in the Bible. Most of our more unique beliefs come from the book we call the Doctrine and Covenants, which is a collection of modern revelation.

I made so many categories of Christians for three reasons...

1. According to Wikipedia Christians are in the majority worldwide: According to the 2005 survey of Encyclopædia Britannica, the vast majority of religious and spiritual adherents follow Christianity (33% of world population), Islam (20%), Hinduism (13%), Chinese folk religion (6.3%) or Buddhism (5.9%). The irreligious and atheists make up about 14%, and about 4% follow indigenous tribal religions.

2. I am a Christian, and I posted the poll to satisfy my own curiousity, and selfishly served my own interests with the categories. :tongue_smilie:

When I posted the poll I was very much aware that some Non-trinitarian Christian groups were left out, but once again, followed my own curiousity in which were included.

3. It is obviuos that on the board the majority are Christians. I am glad I have sub-categories of Christian, look at how many protestants there are! Wow. Without sub-categories, we would not know this.

There could be another poll to more clearly define "other", having one category being, "I believe in God, but I do not believe organized religion is the way to Him." It could include some more categories. I decided to keep it down to one poll, but someone else could easily rectify this. I have not been checking other posts, forgive me if this has already been accomplished.

I said "other" though I would normally say "Christian, Protestant" as in Christian but not Catholic. However the separation of Jehovah's Witness and LDS made me question that answer. There are some points on which we agree with Jehovah's Witnesses and others on which we very much disagree. Though I've heard and read some on LDS, I really don't understand their theology at all, but I've been told by LDS members that they categorize themselves as Christian and that they do not believe in the trinity.

Would you PM me with specifics? I am interested in what you believe.

I voted other.

There is an internet term I've taken to: apathist

You know, I like that term. No offense to atheists in general, but in 9 cases out of 10 I find a person who calls themselves "atheist" is not taking a theological stance. They just haven't bothered to think it all through properly. I think next time I end up in one of those conversations, I might suggest the term "apathist" just to see what they think of it.

I'm a Western Taoist, non deitied, season based pagan. Probably more of the Western Taoist than the pagan, but I'm working on that.

:)

Rosie

No offense to atheists in general, but in 9 cases out of 10 I find a person who calls themselves "atheist" is not taking a theological stance. They just haven't bothered to think it all through properly.

I had to smile at this because I've heard atheists claim that 9 out of 10 agnostics (is this the same as apathists?) are really atheists who are just too afraid to take a stand.

On a different note, does anyone know a term or label for someone who does not believe in a personal God, but believes there is a divine force in every living thing and permeating the entire universe? Pantheism? Panentheism? Whatever you call it, that's me. Well, that's me this week. ;)

I had to smile at this because I've heard atheists claim that 9 out of 10 agnostics (is this the same as apathists?) are really atheists who are just too afraid to take a stand.

I haven't heard this statistic, but I tend to be of the same feeling. Either there is a god or there isn't. If there is, it is worth learning more. If there isn't, we need to take a hard look at exactly what that means. There was no middle ground for me, back then, nor is there now. I was an atheist, now I am a Christian.

Perhaps some of the agnostics here will share their perspective.
Not an agnostic, but an atheist. For me, it's purely an intellectual exercise. I was brought up going to church, but never "believed" and left the church in high single digits (*maybe* 10, but I'm pretty sure it was 9). I've come to the conclusion I just don't have the belief gene.

On a different note, does anyone know a term or label for someone who does not believe in a personal God, but believes there is a divine force in every living thing and permeating the entire universe? Pantheism? Panentheism? Whatever you call it, that's me. Well, that's me this week. ;)

I'll bite... I call myself an agnostic. I'm not yet ready to write off the possibility that there is some force or spirit behind all this. But, after exploring and really thinking about all the major faiths, and some of the smaller ones as well; I have not found one that speaks to me. I've never been able to buy that one faith is anymore valid than another. All seem like myths to live by, with fantastical stories often meant to scare followers into believing them. None offer me a plausible explanation of how this Universe came into being and why we are here, that rings true. Then again, maybe there is no explanation. All of this could all be a game, with the force or forces watching to see how the elements play out their parts/roles.

I've always respected the faiths of others, but dislike when they try to tell me I need to believe theirs. I know I won't find the answer in my lifetime, and who knows if man ever will. Wish-washy enough for ya? :lol:

Careful! You're sounding a bit Taoist! I do remember learning that there were two types of religion, those that place God/spiritual force above us, and those that place it alongside and part of everything. Beats me what the terms were though.

:)

Rosie