Menu

Ugh - dd wants a pet rabbit - please advise

I thought about getting a rabbit...I have decided against it...but I have funny story, when I was doing research on rabbits, I got several books at the library on rabbit care....but with all this talk of rabbits, I decided to re-read Watership Down. When I went to circulation to check out my books, the librarian kindly told me that Watership Down was a novel, not a book on rabbit care! I about died! Of course I knew this, but it was so funny I laughed about it for days.:lol:

We love our rabbit!!!

We have had lots and lots of them throughout the years...but the one we have now is awesome!!!

OK...advice

GET A MALE...not a female...they are moody. The males are lovable and fun...but only get ONE male, otherwise they will get aggressive.

Get the rabbit toys...they love to throw stuff. They love table scraps as long as it is not meat or iceberg lettuce. Carrots, veggies, apple peels, even pizza crusts.

They like to play..but watch out for your electric cords.

Ours is corner trained, but I have heard they can be litter trained.

I love our rabbit. He is so cute and funny...and he lives in a CAGE! Unlike the cats, we are not met with mystery fluid (or spit up hairballs) when you don't expect it.

Enjoy!

Faithe

Dd begged and begged for rabbits so we finally got 2 supposedly female Netherland Dwarf bunnies for her 8th birthday. I'm sure you know what's coming- one was a male- had to get it fixed. Aside from that, what she wanted was a cuddly pet, and these two were fearful and shy. Dh and I didn't want rabbits with the run of the house, so we kept them in a cage in the garage, bringing them into the kitchen just for "pet time". They peed and pooped everywhere and bit through the mouse cord. Eventually, we built a 4'x8' pen outside for them. They are not friendly and are not the kind of pet dd had in mind. Maybe others have had more success with rabbits as pets. I do have to say they are extremely hardy- we've had them 4 years and they've survived everything so far.

Lawana

Rabbits that are properly cared for can live up to 10 years. They are not good pets for young children because they require a lot of care and, unlike most companion animals, they are prey and they respond very differently than cats, dogs, etc.

We have two rabbits. We love them dearly and they are fantastic companions. Rabbits require a lot of socialization and they can easily become bored and frustrated if confined to a cage all day.

I would suggest that you read more about rabbits at the House Rabbit Society website. They have a lot of fantastic information about caring for rabbits.

What I usually tell people when they ask about getting rabbits as "pets" is that rabbits are good companions but they are not good "pets" for people who want to have a cuddly animal that they can play with when they feel like it but stick in a cage when they don't. Rabbits are individuals, just like people, and imo they deserve an environment that allows them to do the things that rabbits like to do and pursue their natural inclinations.

Tara

We have a precious bunny that lives in our basement. He is so sweet! He is a long haired rabbit--a Jersey Wooly. We all love him, and he loves to come to the classroom with us for school.

He is no trouble. We use cedar shavings in his cage. He has a water bottle and a salt wheel. Truly one of our easiest-to-care-for pets.

We used to live near friend who had lots of cats and they got on very well with their bunny. I thought the bunny was so cute...Then one day I was sitting on the couch and I thought, "Oh, no! I have just wet my pants." I was very freaked out until it was pointed out that the rabbit liked to pee on the couch. That turned me off rabbits. But I would like to have some of their poop for my garden!16_11_4.gif

I love them and they are so darn cute, but I'd have to say I don't know if I'd go there again. We did have one that would share the litter box with our cat (this was about 20 years ago). She was cool. She'd also sleep up on our bed alongside our cat too. It was sweet.

Others we've had have wound up being moved into big pens outside. I find them to be really smelly in a cage, and you have to clean it a lot to keep the odor down.

They are hard to resist though, with their little cute bunny selves!!

We have three rabbits- in separate cages- 2 dogs (one is a 8 week old puppy), 2 chickens, and fish. And we rent.

I am a sucker for baby animals and a friend was selling off some baby Mini Rex rabbits. I bought two, and yes, they ended up being a male and female. My husband, not to be outdone, noticed in the newspaper that someone was giving away two lop eared rabbits- ex circus petting animals. So, we had 4 for a while, but then one died.

I would recommend the larger, lop eared variety, to smaller varieties, because they are less skitish and just more cuddly. Our lop eared is just the most beautiful rabbit- she comes when called, she sits like a pudding in your arms, she has a very distinct personality and presence.

The two mini rexes are great- and the boy is fairly friendly and a sweetheart- but they are far less friendly than the larger lop eared. The girl is fairly wild and will occasionaly nip. We try to pet them every day, and I would say, if you get a big, friendly breed, and you pet them a lot, and train them (they are even house trainable because they tend to toilet in the one place), you will have a very wonderful pet.

But, it is work. We let one rabbit out of their cage each day. If we let two out together, there is either massive rape, which is traumatising to the female, or, the two females fight and fur flies. So, one gets freedom each day, and then they are put back into their cage at night.

I have had many pets,although I never had rabbits as a child, and I love the rabbits very dearly and I think that I might even keep rabbits once the kids are grown and gone. However, I will definitely go for the larger breeds.

They are good pets, but it's important to get lots of information (and some experience) before getting a bunny. As others have said, they do not behave exactly like cats and dogs, and they each have distinct personalities. It's important to know that many rabbits don't really like being held, although they may like to have you join them on the floor for some petting. Some are very friendly and affectionate; others really aren't that good with people.

I strongly recommend you seek out a rabbit rescue in your area, and ask for more info. When you decide you're ready to adopt a bunny, the rescue people will be able to recommend a rabbit with the right temperament for you and your family.

I volunteer with a rabbit rescue, and worked there for a year caring for the rabbits six days a week. Feel free to ask for more info.

Our pet rabbits are very different. Oreo, the male, is an English spot mix. He's lazy, nervous about new situations and people, likes to cuddle with family members, chews on anything he can get his teeth on, and tends to leave little poops around the house when he's out of his cage. Lanah, the female, is a Lionhead/Holland Lop mix. She's curious, bossy and demanding, likes attention, is not afraid of anything, doesn't chew on things she shouldn't, and has excellent litter box habits. They absolutely adore each other.

Our rabbits live in a two-story cage. They door is open most of the time when ds and I are home to keep an eye on them. (We close doors to non-bunny-proofed areas.) In nice weather, we bring them out to play in our backyard (with our supervision).

Good luck!

Wendi

We have an elderly neutered male bunny that we adopted years ago as a companion for our now deceased spayed female bunny. Both were/are sweet little critters.

We never had problems with them being smelly. We splurged (during the relatively good years) on a 3 story Leith Petwerks condo home for rabbits. We put litter boxes filled with Feline Pine on 1st and 3rd floors. Their poop is practically odorless to humans and is hard small pellet. One of the advantages of vegetarianism.

With proper care, they can live a long time so consider it a ten year commitment. In his younger years, the male was somewhat of a nuisance. He had super strong digging tendencies and would knock the litter out of the box. Also he had goopy poop due to sensitivity to binders in bun chow. He was on a hay-only diet for sometime. One of his favorite activities is shredding discarded phone books.

I'm a non-traditional bunny owner and I know many do not agree with this approach, but we allow our bunny to roam free in the fenced in backyard. We don't have grass in our backyard and the bunny is free to nibble on the weeds. She has a safe place to run to when she feels threatened. No cage means it is a low-maintenece bunny to take care of. This has worked well for us.

Our first rabbit was a male and it was always trying to escape the yard and run off for an adventure. Our current bunny is a female and every spring she tries to dart into the house, run upstairs and make a nest under my bed. She was handled and petted a lot as a baby bunny and is very docile and loves to be held and cuddled.

Our bunny and cat get along very well. Bunnies are more playful and curious than I thought they were.

We got 2 mini-rexes earlier this summer when they were very small but old enough to leave their mother. We keep them outside in cages and bring them onto the porch for cuddle and play time several times a week.

The male was cuddled a lot by the woman who sold him to us and he still likes to cuddle everyone. He is very much a baby. The female will only let my oldest dd (the one who wanted bunnies) pick her up and hold her. She bites and kicks at everyone else. (Of course this child also has a cat that only purrs for her and no one else as well.)

They get along fine with the cats although the cats are a bit afraid of the rabbits. One was pretty sure they were kittens who would try to nurse and the other is just very unsure as to what these funny looking "cats" are.

Best advice--read up on rabbits and check out the house rabbit society website that was linked earlier in this thread. I found it very helpful.:001_smile:

Thanks for all the great info! We stopped by the pet store yesterday and while they are SO cute, I just don't think I'm up for it. I would be okay with having them outside in a hutch, but then I wonder why we have them to begin with and can't imagine that is a very good life for a bunny. I actually was very attracted to the hegdghogs, but it probably was the novelty factor. I'm more open to a small animal - maybe a hamster - that dd could keep in her room. Thoughts? BTW, we do have two golden retrievers and have had guinea pigs which dies last spring. While we loved our piggies, I didn't like the mess of the shavings, having to harangue the kids to get them to clean the cage, running out for shavings, etc. Basically, I want a really cute stuffed animal, but I want to try and come alongside my middle child animal lover and encourage her in her passions and individuality. I'd love your input!

If you do decide to get an animal companion, I encourage you to stop by your local Humane Society instead of going to a pet store. There are so many homeless companion animals in need of loving homes, and adopting from the Humane Society avoids supporting the commercial farming of companion animals (aka "puppy mills" or "rabbit farms," for example).

Tara

Following is just in fun, please take it as such, though it does taste good.

Do not go too cheap on the wine. A 7-10 dollar bottle works the best.

Rabbit stew recipe includes rabbit, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, and red wine.

Ingredients:

• 1 rabbit, about 3 pounds, cut up
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • dash pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 cups dry red wine
  • 2 cups diced carrots
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 4 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup water

Preparation:

Directions for rabbit stew.

Dredge rabbit pieces with 1/2 cup flour. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown rabbit pieces on all sides. Add celery, onion, salt, pepper, bay leaf, 4 cups water, and wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer rabbit stew for 2 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms; cook for about 25 to 30 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/3 cup water; stir until well blended and smooth. Stir flour mixture into the broth; cook and stir until thickened.

Rabbit stew recipe serves 4.