Menu

Ugh. Just bought jeans.

Moxie

I've had the same problem with Levi 529's - different washes can be almost a size different (I.e. a 10 in a medium blue can fit about the same as a 12 in a dark blue, or a 10 petite in one is larger in the waist/hips than a regular 10 in another). And jeans that are the same size and color still fit differently - I end up trying on pretty much every color in a three size range, and then every single pair in the colors/sizes that mostly fit. And end up with exactly *one* pair that truly fits. I've read that different dyes shrink the fabric differently (thus why different colors in the same size and cut fit differently), but that doesn't explain the variation in the same size and color. It's really ridiculous.

• Like 1

That is so unacceptable!

That is part of why I only order from Lands End or LL Bean or Talbots. If I can't try them on then I NEED to know they will be true to their stated measurements.  I have had good luck with that from those brands.

Now, sometimes a different pant from the same manufacturer has a different inseam, and it annoys me, but I understand. For example a pair of boot cut jeans in petite might have a different inseam from a pair of boot cut khaki pants in petite.  I feel like they should have some consistency in inseam across the brand, but that is clearly a losing battle. But the same style in different colours...yes it should be exactly the same!

FWIW, I bought 3 pairs of jeans a year ago from Lands End and all three fit exactly like they said they would.  Two were boot cut in different colours and they fit exactly the same. The third was a skinny  jean in 'extra petite' or 'extra short' or something, and those fit perfectly as well. The extra short meant that for the first time I can wear jeans with flats and not have them scuff on the floor.

And, yes, I am very short.

• Like 1

This must be why there were two racks of women's jeans at the Goodwill.  I never go there, grosses me out - but I have to change my tune.

Found a pie plate for 0.99 and the stop after Goodwill was town, 30 mins away to buy the exact pie plate for $8 more.  :)

:iagree: Op...I have to remind myself to try on every pair before removing the tags.  I've even got to the point of purchasing 3 or 4 if I need 2 because I expect the variance in fit and size.  When I get stuck returning, I always mention my frustration with the differences in sizes.

I also agree that Old Navy is the worst for me, but I like their jeans.

I remember seeing an investigative report on this eons ago.  They measured the waistbands of supposedly identical jeans in the store and the variance was as much as 1.5".   They said one reason is that since woman are more accepting of trying stuff on in the store, they don't worry so much about size when making the clothes.  They cut many layers of fabric at once.  So, for men's they might cut 7 at once.  For women's they might cut 30.   That bottom piece of fabric of 30 won't be the same size as the top one.  

Yes, you have to try on everything before you bring it home.  It is frustrating but not really a new problem.  Even when I was a kid my mother would make me try everything on.  Different dyes can have an effect on the fabric as can different factories. 

I have been wearing the same style of Levi's for the past 35 years (501s).  I've found that since the mid 90s or so, that individual pairs of the same size and bought at the same time can vary enormously.  The other thing I've found is that the actually seem to change the cut--even though 501s are called "the original" or some such thing--to go with the fashion of the times.