Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW42: poe's tell-tale heart

Robin M

Me too - and me neither.  Are you up for a Shakespeare/Winterson two-fer? Anybody else in?

Sure. When? I've got a couple of books piled up here so I'd prefer waiting a couple of weeks at least, but I'm definitely up for it. (ETA: Looks like my library will be getting a copy of Winterson's new book, but it's still on order at this point. Don't know when it would come in.)

And, I hesitate to recommend stuff to Nan (because I think our reading styles & likes are so different), but for some reason, I think Lighthousekeeping might be a story that you would like, Nan.

Nan, here is the book description from Goodreads:

"My mother called me Silver. I was born part precious metal, part pirate."

Orphaned and anchorless, Silver is taken in by blind Mr. Pew, the mysterious and miraculously old keeper of the Cape Wrath lighthouse. Pew tells Silver ancient tales of longing and rootlessness, of journeys that move through place and time, of passion and betrayal. His stories center on Babel Dark, a local nineteenth-century clergyman who lived two lives: a public one mired in darkness and a private one bathed in a beacon of light. Pew's stories are, for Silver, a map through her own particular darkness, into her own story and, finally, into love.

With Lighthousekeeping, Winterson begins a new cycle and a return to the lyrical intimacy of her earliest work. One of the most original and extraordinary writers of her generation, Winterson has created a modern fable about the transformative power of storytelling.

• Like 7

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ok with waiting a few  weeks, I've got quite a stack going too.  But I did put it on hold, along with Winterson's book which is also on order at my library.  So when you are ready, I'll be ready!  Let me know.

I just put both on hold too. I'll let you know when the books come in here.... (I imagine the Shakespeare version will be readily available by early next week; no clue how long it may be before getting Winterson's new book.)

• Like 5

I have various female adventurer books & keep meaning to gather them & do a themed reading. Maybe that will be one of my 2016 reading goals.

Any additional suggestions from anyone???  :bigear:

I haven't read it, but I've heard good things about this book. 

Our Hearts Were Young and Gay: An Unforgettable Comic Chronicle of Innocents Abroad in the 1920s by Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimbrough

Is a grand tour of Europe sufficiently adventurous?

Another book of which I've heard good things ~

Tracks: A Woman's Solo Trek Across 1700 Miles of Australian Outback by Robyn Davidson

“An unforgettably powerful book.â€â€”Cheryl Strayed, author of Wild

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Oooooooooo. You are my new Best Friend. (Don't ask what happened to the previous Best Friends.) I will look for the Skvorecky. There are a lot of Czech Texans. If you're ever driving through West, Texas (which is between here and Dallas and not actually in west Texas), swing by the Czech Stop for the universe's finest kolaches.

Dh is mostly writing a book rather than reading these days, but he is willing to put the laptop aside when something more interesting appears on his bedside table.

Envisioning death by barbecue...seems appropriate for Texas.

I haven't read it, but I've heard good things about this book. 

Our Hearts Were Young and Gay: An Unforgettable Comic Chronicle of Innocents Abroad in the 1920s by Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimbrough

Is a grand tour of Europe sufficiently adventurous?

This is a book that Nan once sent to me, one of her favs.  And it is a delight!

Me too - and me neither.  Are you up for a Shakespeare/Winterson two-fer? Anybody else in?

The only Winterson I have read is her first, Oranges are Not the Only Fruit. Scratching my head as to why I have not read any of her other books.  I'll join you on the Shakespeare/Winterson two-fer although I may be a few steps behind you. 

• Like 9

When I was looking at the improved Europa Editions website earlier this week, one book that caught my eye is The Pope's Daughter by Dario Fo. I thought it looked interesting, so I checked the library's website to see if they had it (no), but they did have some of his plays. (Apparently, Fo was the 1997 recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature. I had no idea.)

Out of curiosity, I picked one of the plays & read it this morning: Accidental Death of an Anarchist by Dario Fo, adapted by Richard Nelson. As Fo's original version had some locally specific politics (Italy), this version is one that was adapted for the American stage & added some American politics instead (in this case, some Ronald Reagan-era jabs). It was an over-the-top, almost slapstick style farce that was a quick, enjoyable read. If done right, I think seeing a stage version might be a hoot. Makes me wish I were in NYC right now, heading to a small theater to see a performance of this, followed by a stop for some great food nearby.

• Like 8

Pew? Silver? Is it related to Treasure Island?

Dashing off to babsit while the family goes to yet another family funeral. Be back...

Nan

Hmm, not exactly, but nice catch on the names.  Winterson's work is full of literary allusions, to books other than the one she's directly interacting with.  This book is loosely - very loosely - related to Jekyll & Hyde.  It is told by a girl in the present, but flashes back between now and the past.  RL Stevenson visited the town/Lighthouse in the past, and was, perhaps, "inspired" to create his J&H character by someone he met there.  I'll say no more . . . 

I'm sorry for your family's loss, Nan.  :grouphug:

• Like 7

Yesterday I finished Fiona Lowe's contemporary romance Montana Actually (A Medicine River Romance); it was a pleasant read that actually contained two romances. 

"City doctor Josh Stanton and his sports car don’t suit the country, but with his medical school debt about to bury him, Josh has to make the best out of a bad situation. Adjusting to his new job and life in the middle of nowhere isn’t easy, but at least the views of the mountains—and one distractingly attractive local—are stunning...

After eight years away, Katrina McCade is back in Bear Paw for a break from her life, bad choices—and men. But when a broad-shouldered stranger bursts into town, she finds herself unexpectedly saddled with the town’s sexy new doctor as a tenant. Katrina doesn’t need a man to make her happy, especially a disgruntled physician.  But try telling her body that…"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Pew? Silver? Is it related to Treasure Island?

Dashing off to babsit while the family goes to yet another family funeral. Be back...

Nan

:grouphug:  I'm sorry to hear that your family is having yet another loss....

Hmmm, I totally missed the Pew & Silver being related to Treasure Island. (But, I'm not a fan of Treasure Island; I really don't remember much about it at all. Guess that's a huge literary miss on my part! :mellow: )

Winterson seems to have many literary allusions in this work, the biggest one obviously being Jekyll & Hyde. But, the thing I really enjoyed about Winterson's tale (especially after traveling down the dark, dark paths of Hyde) is that she focuses more on the good/Jekyll parts. Sure, there are a few dark parts in here (otherwise it couldn't be an homage to Jekyll & Hyde), but in the end, the story goes with the good. It was a beautiful breath of fresh air.

• Like 7

Envisioning death by barbecue...seems appropriate for Texas.

Is this better or worse than the siccing armadillos I envisioned?

I'm sorry.  :grouphug:

• Like 6

I finished listening to An Appetite for Wonder, Part 1 of Richard Dawkins's biography, read by the author.  I really enjoyed it.  I know he has offended many on the left and the right, religious and non, for many reasons, but I've always had a soft spot for him. He does a lovely job reading his own books, we really enjoyed the audiobook of The Magic of Reality, too.

I like him too. I look forward to reading his books. I plan to read it with my eldest. 

And now I want to read the Gaiman book you posted above. 

I had to return Brave New World to the library as someone had it on hold. I stopped on page 205. So ds and I will have to wait to finish the book unless I can find it in ebook format that is available. 

I'm listening to Shirley Jackson's Raising Demons and laughing out loud. Motherhood/wife hood never really changes. My oldest ds is listening to it with me and even he finds it funny. Her first book Life Among Savages was also funny.   

• Like 9

I'm now starting Captain Sir Richard F. Burton's King Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance.

Translated from the original Sanskrit by the noted Victorian Orientalist, Sir Richard Burton, these ancient Indian folk tales influenced such later works as 1001 Arabian Nights and Boccaccio's Decameron. As revealing today as they were in their own time, these stories will entertain and delight modern readers while illuminating the life and customs of classical India. This reprint from the 1893 limited edition contains 34 black-and‑white illustrations, including the frontispiece designed especially for that edition.

I have a copy from the library but it can also be found for free through Project Gutenberg.

• Like 7

I just read The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman - it had been on hold forever.  It was a very powerful and refreshing retelling of Snow White/Sleeping Beauty. I really liked it and immediately handed it to Shannon to read. I'm eager to hear what she thinks of it.

Oooh, I'll have to check this out.

I didn't like Anansi Boys nearly as much as The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It simply didn't have that same mystical quality and I don't enjoy plot points based on miscommunication. (I always think I could just watch Three's Company instead.)

Perhaps a 3rd data point would be useful.

• Like 8

I finished reading Catch Me If You Can by Frank W. Abagnale, Jr. this afternoon.  Part of me thinks "there is absolutely no way things happened the way you claim!" but then he served time in jail in three countries so clearly, if inflated, he's basically telling the truth.  It's amazing what one can get away with a little social engineering.  Act like you know what you are doing or are who you say you are and people believe you and let you do what you want.

In other news, it seems like everything has been all bad since I got sick, but today there is excellent news.  My husband and older two kids have been in Orlando for ATA Fall Nationals (taekwondo) this week.  Today the kids competed.  Ani came in fourth in both forms and combat sparring and Cameron came in fourth or fifth in forms and FIRST in regular sparring!  My son now holds a national title in taekwondo!  That's crazy and awesome.  This is the first time they have competed in a tournament outside of our zero stress intraschool tournament twice a year.  They weren't originally going to compete, but some instructors here asked them to.  I'm so proud of them both.

• Like 10

I adore Our Hearts Were Young and Gay. I read it first as a teen and have reread it periodically since. Great fun!

I will have to investigate that Lighthousekeeping book, Stacia. What an intriguing beginning! I want to look at that Sanskrit book, too.

Butter, how exciting about your children!

Nan

• Like 9

I didn't like Anansi Boys nearly as much as The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It simply didn't have that same mystical quality and I don't enjoy plot points based on miscommunication. (I always think I could just watch Three's Company instead.)

Have you read Neverwhere?  That one has a mystical feel to it. He says he wanted to write an Alice in Wonderland/Wizard of Oz book for adults. He did just that. 

• Like 8

My husband and older two kids have been in Orlando for ATA Fall Nationals (taekwondo) this week.  Today the kids competed.  Ani came in fourth in both forms and combat sparring and Cameron came in fourth or fifth in forms and FIRST in regular sparring!  My son now holds a national title in taekwondo!  That's crazy and awesome.  This is the first time they have competed in a tournament outside of our zero stress intraschool tournament twice a year.  They weren't originally going to compete, but some instructors here asked them to.  I'm so proud of them both.

How very exciting for both of your children.  Congratulations!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I finished Solaris by Stanislaw Lem.  It was also quite good, kind of along the lines of Roadside Picnic, only this time we go to the alien rather than the aliens coming to us. But it has that similar mind-bending question: why do we assume that life in the universe will be recognizable/contactable by us? It might end up being so different that no communication is possible. Or its attempts at communication might completely blow our minds.  Anyway, another good entry into the alien-contact theme I've been following this year.

• Like 9

Have you read Neverwhere?  That one has a mystical feel to it. He says he wanted to write an Alice in Wonderland/Wizard of Oz book for adults. He did just that. 

I hadn't even heard of it. I will definitely check it out! I have to admit to not liking Alice in Wonderland (heresy, I know) but this still sounds promising. Thank you!

• Like 6

Friends, I need a book suggestion for my local book club.

We need something readily available through the library & in audio format, something that is relatively happy/pleasant (w/out too much angst, sadness, or terror). Overall, something fun, upbeat, & not too long.

Any ideas?

• Like 5

We need something readily available through the library & in audio format, something that is relatively happy/pleasant (w/out too much angst, sadness, or terror). Overall, something fun, upbeat, & not too long.

Would Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time  work for your group?  It's been a while since I read it, but I don't recall it being too sad or angsty.  It's some 225 pages long, and it's definitely widely available.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Any ideas?

If the book club is made up of women who have kids then I vote for Shirley Jackson's Life Among the Savages and/or Raising Demons

Not that I'm loving them or anything.

• Like 6

Still working on Hyde by Daniel Levine.

Oooh, glad to hear this!  I just now came upon the thread here.  Picked up Hyde the day before yesterday at the library!

I did not read all of the posts yet.  Has anyone read Beacon 23 (available as individuals in a 5-part series or an omnibus) by Hugh Howey??  It's on Kindle Unlimited so that's up next for me.

This month I've read Brave New World and Atwood's The Heart Goes Last.  It's fascinating to me how often sexual themes come up in utopian/dystopian works.  I was mainly disappointed in BNW because I never got a clear sense of WHY it would be utopian in some way for there to be no families and for everyone to "belong" to everyone else--mainly, sexually.  And then to skip on to Atwood's book and find the characters mostly unlikable and always preoccupied with sex.  Hmm.  It just seems like the horny in power get to decide these rules.  LOL :P

Anyway, I'm on The Lake House by Kate Morton and start Howey's series after this.

• Like 8

:lol:

• Like 4