Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW42: poe's tell-tale heart

Robin M

Ds found this on the library's 'new' shelf this afternoon & is enjoying it already:

9781594748011.jpg

:lol:

The Big Bad Book of Bill Murray

ETA: And dd found this book & is perfectly happy with learning the history of spoons, forks, that it's not a 'formal' dinner unless you have at least eight courses (& a butler), etc....

9780684847320.jpg

The Art of the Table

• Like 8

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ds found this on the library's 'new' shelf this afternoon & is enjoying it already:

9781594748011.jpg

The Big Bad Book of Bill Murray

:lol:  :lol:

Ds took Psychology over the summer for a dual enrollment class. One of the extra credit options was to watch What About Bob? and analyze the characters. He said it was a fun assignment.

• Like 9

Some of you may be familiar with Arthur Ransome who wrote the Swallows and Amazons books.  Here are some free Kindle offerings of his work ~

for families:

Old Peter's Russian Tales by Arthur Ransome and Dmitrii Isidorovich Mitrokhin

for adults:

Russia in 1919 by Arthur Ransome The Crisis in Russia by Arthur Ransome

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Well, after almost 10 months of writing down every book I read (a first for me!), I fell off the wagon for a month and didn't do anything but read the books.    I'm climbing back on today by telling you all the last books I read :

Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta-- reread, when I first read this bought it via Fishpond.com from Australia because I could not wait for the US version, after being left hanging at the end of the previous book, Froi of the Exiles (which I did not reread this time)

Penric's Demon by Lois McMaster Bujold -- bought this and read it because two of her Chalion series are in my top books list

and then of course had to reread them, even though this novella is only set in the same world and has none of the same characters:

The Curse of Chalion

Paladin of Souls

• Like 9

I finished Rimrunner by Cherryh. I began it because it is a ship book and I have always liked ship books, lots of different types of ship books. Scifi often combines ships with anthrology and natural history another two intersts of mine. This particular scifi book was more of a surviving the military book with accompanying bad language. Not my cup of tea. But the writing managed to grip me and it turned out to be an easy world to escape into. Not necessarily one I WANTED to escape into, but one I could drop into completely and fast.

Nan, who is hoping for more animal encounter stories

• Like 9

A couple of interesting posts from the Tor.com site.

Five Reasons Not To Piss Off the Fair Folk by Sylvia Spruck Wrigley

I particularly like reason number two: "Many parents have reported putting their pre-pubescent teenager to bed one evening ...."

and

17 Bewitching Books for Halloween! by Stubby the Rocket

This contains an interesting list of books for both young people and adults.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Maybe someone here who reads paranormal can help me out.  I've lost track of a series I was reading a few years ago and can't seem to place it.  At the time I was up to date, so it's possible that the author never continued writing, but I'm hoping that's not the case.  My memory is a little vague so bare with me, but the story was about a female lead and two men.  It was somewhat of a who will the girl end up with type of a story.  There was a bar that was the gateway to faerie, and I think that the one character had something to do with souls, maybe collecting them?  

You posted this last week, Melissa. 

Could it be the Trickster series?  Book one is

Trick of the Light by Rob Thurman.

and

Mel, I think it is Patricia Briggs Mercedes Thompson series. The bar owner was fae - uncle mike. Maybe not. Could be faith Hunter or Larissa ione as well.

Were either of us right?  You have me curious now!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Were either of us right?  You have me curious now!

Regards,

Kareni

I'm sure it's not the Mercy Thompson series.  I've read all of those.  

The Trick of Light doesn't seem like it is the right story, but I downloaded a sample that I will try it read just to make sure.

Sadly I don't remember enough of the series.  I know the main character is a female, and there are two males characters.  The bar is the place where you enter faerie and an "in between" for human and fae.  I remember that you don't dance with the characters from the clock, because you'd never stop. There is something about drinking or eating the food. I remember things of that nature, which really don't help distinguish which story it might be.  I usually remember most everything I've read so this is an exception.  It's very frustrating!

• Like 9

Sadly I don't remember enough of the series.  I know the main character is a female, and there are two males characters.  The bar is the place where you enter faerie and an "in between" for human and fae.  I remember that you don't dance with the characters from the clock, because you'd never stop. There is something about drinking or eating the food. I remember things of that nature, which really don't help distinguish which story it might be.  I usually remember most everything I've read so this is an exception.  It's very frustrating!

Well, it sounds more and more interesting.  I hope you find it, because now I'm interested too!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I finished Hyde by Daniel Levine today.

Levine's version expands Stevenson's novella quite a bit. It is very well fitted to the original, imo. Hyde is a dark, destructive tale &, ultimately, a very sad one too.

At the end, Levine included some notes about Stevenson's original, as well as some of his own comments, including,

My interest was not in reconfiguring the premise but in returning to the original, exploring inconsistencies of character and crafting a psychological model to explain Jekyll's plunge into self-annihilation. The original, too, is a murder mystery; why does Hyde kill Sir Danvers Carew? The story says it is a coincidence. Yet the murder is witnessed by a maid in an upstairs window who recognizes Hyde, "who had once visited her master." Who is this master, and why should Hyde visit him? Questions yearn for answers. For nearly 130 years Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde has remained immovably on the fickle (and often unfair) shelves of classical literature, an endurance no doubt due to these suggestive ripples in its surface, the tantalizing hints of an underworld calling out for discovery.

And Levine certainly does scrutinize the hinted underworld. I think Stevenson would be pleased with this catastrophic, chilling contortion of his characters.

Readers, beware, though: there is plenty of trigger-worthy content in here related to child abuse (physical, sexual, psychological) & rape.

An ominous & truly terrifying tale.

• Like 9

I just went looking on a Goodreads list fot Mel's mysterious fae series and found the Connor Grey series by Mark Del Francohttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8273818.Unshapely_Things__Connor_Grey___1_. I checked the first one out on overdrive. Has anyone read them?

I haven't read it so please report back when you're finished.   :)

I have to go back to recording titles!

• Like 6

Kindle got charged and I finished The Death Cure.  It was the best of the three books.  There were things that bothered me and were just not well written.  The two major death scenes were really anticlimatic.  I expected much more out of the first one since my daughter cried and cried over it and then refused to pick the book back up for 2 or 3 weeks.  There were a couple twists and turns I wasn't at all expecting, though, so that made it more fun to read.

• Like 10

Nan, what are some of your favorite animal encounter stories?

Regards,

Kareni

Books, do you mean? I was thinking of the funny bat and alligator stories. : )

Off the to of my head - In the Shadow of the Rainbow (nonfiction) and The Music of Dolphins (children,s fiction). I feel like there are lots more that I am not thinking of.

Nan

• Like 8

Per the thread title, I found a few minutes to read The Tell-Tale Heart. Definitely creepier than I remembered!

I have managed to forget most of it, something I am SO happy about. It was eighth grade required reading. Eighth grade is a long time ago now. I guess this is something I am grateful about lol for once.

Nan

• Like 10

I have managed to forget most of it, something I am SO happy about. It was eighth grade required reading. Eighth grade is a long time ago now. I guess this is something I am grateful about lol for once.

Nan

When I read it around 8th grade my perception was that of a scary fantastical story, but as an adult I can imagine it as someone's actual mental state! Turns out this is much worse.

• Like 10

I know the main character is a female, and there are two males characters.  The bar is the place where you enter faerie and an "in between" for human and fae. 

A couple more possibilities to consider:

Jenn Bennett's Arcadia Bell series ~

Kindling the Moon (The Arcadia Bell Series Book 1)

and

Allison Pang's Abby Sinclair series ~

A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, Book 1)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I finished Barbarian Days this afternoon.  It is an uneven book, strong at the beginning with some meandering sections in the middle and a quiet close, but I still strongly recommend it for the beautiful prose and for the glimpse into an utterly fascinating life.

It puts me at 56 books for the year (61 started and 5 abandoned), but with my music obligations piling up (dare I say, building to a crescendo) through Christmas, I will be lucky if I can finish another 4 or 5 titles before the end of the year. In the meantime I'm staring down the barrel at ballet and opera gigs and holiday music concerts and Advent and Christmas Eve services. 

Nan, I'm thinking of all the animal books I have loved through the years. Have you ever read Enslaved by Ducks? My ds and I thought it was delightful when we read it a few years back.  (Ignore the first few reviews on Goodreads by curmudgeons who weren't charmed by it....)  The recent memoir I read The Shepherd's Life by James Rebank was also lovely.  I want to find the Osprey book that Jane read in the last few months. Of course there are all the James Herriot books which have been read and re-read in our house.

• Like 7

Sadie and anyone else who my have read Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St. Mary's series.......My library reserves are arriving out of order and it will be quite awhile before books two and three will be available. Book four is due soon and cannot be renewed. I picked up books five and six today. What should I do? I am leaning towards reading what I have in order. Will I regret it?

• Like 4

When I read it around 8th grade my perception was that of a scary fantastical story, but as an adult I can imagine it as someone's actual mental state! Turns out this is much worse.

Ug. Definitely won,t be reading that then. Rereading as an adult, I am amazed at how much went over my head as a child. I got the plot just fine, including the implications and hidden bits, but I was less good at seeing things from the adult perspective. The Little House books are a good example. Reading those as Ma rather than Laura, they had a very different feel. For example, the cousin who was getting married at 15 (?or something), or Pa,s comment that the couple who had their horses stolen were fools to attempt the journey without a dog. Neither of those sentences carried much weight when I was a child. I guess they did subconsciously, because I never wanted to be Laura or go live out west, but they didn,t seem as ominous as they do now. It was fun reading those books for Ma,s story, but there are lots of things that I am sure I would find horrific now as a more empathetic adult.

Nan

• Like 9

I finished Barbarian Days this afternoon. It is an uneven book, strong at the beginning with some meandering sections in the middle and a quiet close, but I still strongly recommend it for the beautiful prose and for the glimpse into an utterly fascinating life.

It puts me at 56 books for the year (61 started and 5 abandoned), but with my music obligations piling up (dare I say, building to a crescendo) through Christmas, I will be lucky if I can finish another 4 or 5 titles before the end of the year. In the meantime I'm staring down the barrel at ballet and opera gigs and holiday music concerts and Advent and Christmas Eve services.

Nan, I'm thinking of all the animal books I have loved through the years. Have you ever read Enslaved by Ducks? My ds and I thought it was delightful when we read it a few years back. (Ignore the first few reviews on Goodreads by curmudgeons who weren't charmed by it....) The recent memoir I read The Shepherd's Life by James Rebank was also lovely. I want to find the Osprey book that Jane read in the last few months. Of course there are all the James Herriot books which have been read and re-read in our house.

I haven,t! Onto my reading list they go. I love the Herriot books. And The Incredible Journey.

I remember reading, way back, a book by a naturalist that had a funny scene where he tried to rescue an armadillo and it ate through his garage. Or something. I have no idea what the title was.

Nan

• Like 7

I am beyond furious. I am shaking with panic and rage

"JONAH! TAKE YOUR ARM OUT OF THE WATER AND PUT IT IN THE BOAT!"

He complies instantly. Then, baffled: "I'm sorry, Mom. I thought you meant get it in the water."

Yeah. That right there is why I don't live in Houston.

I nominate Pam as Thread Storyteller.

• Like 10

Some of you may be familiar with Arthur Ransome who wrote the Swallows and Amazons books. Here are some free Kindle offerings of his work ~

for families:

Old Peter's Russian Tales by Arthur Ransome and Dmitrii Isidorovich Mitrokhin

for adults:

Russia in 1919 by Arthur Ransome The Crisis in Russia by Arthur Ransome

Regards,

Kareni

So I learned while Middle Girl was devouring the S & A series that Ransome was not only spying on the Russians, but was quite possibly a double agent (he married Trotsky's private secretary). Besides him and Graham Greene, can anyone think of any other spy authors?

• Like 7

VC, you can never go wrong with Dracula! :thumbup1:

But that turned out to be incorrect. :D I spent some of our just-completed annual Flu Week* reading the battered paperback Stoker off Great Girl's shelf, and was surprised by how much faster-moving it was than the Victorian potboiler I remembered. Consulting the title page, I learned it had been abridged. Doesn't count.

*Vaccine doesn't seem any more effective this year than last year....

• Like 10

:party: I finished Wives and Daughters yesterday! According to Goodreads I started reading it in April. Now, it hasn't actually taken me that long to read it, because I kept putting it aside for other books, but it still took me quite a while. It really does end abruptly in an odd place, but you can tell where she was going with the story. I think the BBC did a good job imagining the ending.

MBL playoffs has lead to the Kansas City Library sending a message to the Toronto Library, using book titles:

https://twitter.com/KCLibrary/status/656619363257028608

and from the other side:

https://twitter.com/torontolibrary/status/656971851009282048

I couldn't care less about organized sports and I still enjoyed that. :)

I do remember it being about a man gone insane, but I read it in high school. I also think our teacher probably led us to that conclusion. In my memory it's the creepiest of all his short stories (of the ones I read anyway).

• Like 9

So I learned while Middle Girl was devouring the S & A series that Ransome was not only spying on the Russians, but was quite possibly a double agent (he married Trotsky's private secretary). Besides him and Graham Greene, can anyone think of any other spy authors?

Here's a list of five ~ Cloak and Typewriter: 5 Famous Authors Who Worked as Spies

The first is "Ernest Hemingway Worked for the KGB"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Here's a list of five ~ Cloak and Typewriter: 5 Famous Authors Who Worked as Spies

The first is "Ernest Hemingway Worked for the KGB"

Regards,

Kareni

Somerset Maugham and John LeCarre some to mind. 

Despite reading a couple of biographies of Hemingway, I don't recall ever hearing that he worked for the KGB!

• Like 7

Last night I finished Mellisa F. Olson's Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard); I've very much enjoyed this urban fantasy series of which this is the third entry.  You'd definitely want to read these in order.  In fact, I won't post the detailed blurb since it will give away critical information of what took place in book two.  Book one in the series is Dead Spots.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

This looks great. How sad is it?

There was one pretty sad scene towards the end of the book. I can PM you details if you want.

There are some skirmishes with poachers but the content is more about figuring out how they are getting on the reserve and who is helping them in the group, not so much about actual poaching.

• Like 7

Have now started Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson per Rose's suggestion as part of my 3-fer reading for Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. Really enjoying it so far. The story is so engaging & Winterson is a very lovely writer.

I'm glad you are liking it, and that you liked Hyde.  It also has a couple of disturbing scenes, but if you got through Hyde ok, you will be fine.  I really like Winterson's writing, at one point I had read all of her stuff, but she's gotten ahead of me now.

• Like 8

I finished listening to An Appetite for Wonder, Part 1 of Richard Dawkins's biography, read by the author.  I really enjoyed it.  I know he has offended many on the left and the right, religious and non, for many reasons, but I've always had a soft spot for him. He does a lovely job reading his own books, we really enjoyed the audiobook of The Magic of Reality, too.

• Like 8

Note to VC: We had planned on reading HaĂ…Â¡ek's classic, The Good Soldier Å vejk, this year. It has been gathering dust on my husband's bedside table, but I can steal it from him.

Before year's end I also want to read Josef Skvorecky's novel The Miracle Game with the plan of sending it to VC's husband who apparently shares my fascination with Eastern European literature. For VC I may recommend another of Skvorecky's books, The Bride of Texas, based on documented lives of Czech soldiers who fought in the American Civil War. I have not read this one but I know of your fondness for Texas history.

Oooooooooo. You are my new Best Friend. (Don't ask what happened to the previous Best Friends.) I will look for the Skvorecky. There are a lot of Czech Texans. If you're ever driving through West, Texas (which is between here and Dallas and not actually in west Texas), swing by the Czech Stop for the universe's finest kolaches.

Dh is mostly writing a book rather than reading these days, but he is willing to put the laptop aside when something more interesting appears on his bedside table.

• Like 7

I'm happy because when I ran by the library today, I was able to pick up a copy of Beryl Markham's West with the Night for 75 cents from the used book sale. Yipee! I've had that book on my 'want to read' list for a long time.

I have various female adventurer books & keep meaning to gather them & do a themed reading. Maybe that will be one of my 2016 reading goals.

I have books like West with the Night, Congo Solo, North to the Orient, Two Women in the Klondike, & a couple of others I can't think of right now.

Two I've read in the past that would fit into the category are Passionate Nomad and Pink Boots and a Machete. May have to revisit those too.

Any additional suggestions from anyone???  :bigear:

• Like 9

Well, I'm disappointed. I was listening to The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, first of the Kingkiller Chronicles.  I was really enjoying it, too, I was 5+ hours in, but I just had to stop.  He's telling his life story, and I don't know if I'm just feeling fragile at the moment, but I can't take another detailed description of a 12 year old getting the shi$t beaten out of him.  

I see a few of you read this book and gave it five stars, which makes me want to persist, but maybe not now.  Or maybe reading rather than listening, so I can control how much I dwell on these bits.

• Like 7

Just finished Lighthousekeeping. What a lovely, beautiful book. I think Pew enters my list of favorite book characters. Highly recommended.

From The Guardian article I linked:

Utterly skewwhiff, deeply and gloriously odd, the opening chapters of Lighthousekeeping tell a fable in Biblical rhythms that combine the flavour of a DalĂƒÂ­ dream sequence with a feral fairy tale, only to create something entirely new. This writer really can forge her own myths.

With an opening of "My mother called me Silver. I was born part precious metal part pirate," how could I not fall immediately into it?

Thanks, Rose, for recommending this one to me. It was a great read.

• Like 8

Stacia, I'm so glad you liked it! I bet you would like other Jeanette Winterson books too.  I see she has a new one out, a retelling of Shakespeare's A Winter's Tale.  That looks most intriguing!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/books/review/the-gap-of-time-by-jeanette-winterson.html?emc=edit_bk_20151023&nl=bookreview&nlid=72406955&ref=headline&_r=0

• Like 8

Stacia, I'm so glad you liked it! I bet you would like other Jeanette Winterson books too.  I see she has a new one out, a retelling of Shakespeare's A Winter's Tale.  That looks most intriguing!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/books/review/the-gap-of-time-by-jeanette-winterson.html?emc=edit_bk_20151023&nl=bookreview&nlid=72406955&ref=headline&_r=0

I agree. I would need to read the Shakespeare work first! (I've never read that one.)

ETA: And I didn't just like Lighthousekeeping. I loved it. Really loved it.  :)  Thanks again.

• Like 7