Menu

Quick! What's for dinner starring boneless chicken thighs?

Ginevra

I don't know what I want to do with these. So tired of coming up with meals. Sigh. I have rice, noodles, terriyaki sauce, balsamic vinegar. Green peppers, jalapeños from my garden, onions, lemons. Chicken broth. I have cheese, but strive for no dairy.

Help out a bored cook.

I don't know what I want to do with these. So tired of coming up with meals. Sigh. I have rice, noodles, terriyaki sauce, balsamic vinegar. Green peppers, jalapeños from my garden, onions, lemons. Chicken broth. I have cheese, but strive for no dairy.

Help out a bored cook.

Fajitas?

• Like 2

I'd probably make chicken/ bell pepper/onion stir fry with teriyaki sauce and serve it over rice. But that's because I am SO. SICK. OF. COOKING. I am tired with having to plan and execute a menu. It's been 35 years. Honestly, can't I retire yet? 

Answer: Yes, I can. Dh will cook. And there won't be a green vegetable in sight.  Or any other color, now that you mention it. He'll eat them if I cook them but there's no way he would choose that on his own.  It would be pizza, tacos, and chili every single night.  Forever. 

• Like 5

Maybe...we just had enchilladas Monday, so...maybe.

I "see" giving me a modified side eye as you're saying this.

Or fajita rice bowls...cuz you said you had rice.

Sauté the chicken, peppers and onions. Make some rice. Chop up the jalapeños. Throw everything on the table.

• Like 1

I "see" giving me a modified side eye as you're saying this.

Or fajita rice bowls...cuz you said you had rice.

Sauté the chicken, peppers and onions. Make some rice. Chop up the jalapeños. Throw everything on the table.

I'm going for it. This is an idea that works for tonight. I even think I have a can of Mexi-corn i can heat up to add to the fun.

• Like 3

Look up avgolemono soup (if you have eggs). Most of the recipes I've seen use orzo, but I wouldn't balk at using rice. This would use chicken, lemon, and broth.

This baked lemon chicken sounds good, and you could do a side dish of a simply dressed pasta or serve the chicken over pasta or rice to soak up the sauce. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-chicken-breasts-recipe.html

• Like 1

I'd probably make chicken/ bell pepper/onion stir fry with teriyaki sauce and serve it over rice. But that's because I am SO. SICK. OF. COOKING. I am tired with having to plan and execute a menu. It's been 35 years. Honestly, can't I retire yet? 

Answer: Yes, I can. Dh will cook. And there won't be a green vegetable in sight.  Or any other color, now that you mention it. He'll eat them if I cook them but there's no way he would choose that on his own.  It would be pizza, tacos, and chili every single night.  Forever. 

At this point in my life, this would work for me. 

• Like 3

Help out a bored cook.

Any coconut milk? It would be curry or curried chicken rice here.

• Like 1

Answer: Yes, I can. Dh will cook. And there won't be a green vegetable in sight. Or any other color, now that you mention it. He'll eat them if I cook them but there's no way he would choose that on his own. It would be pizza, tacos, and chili every single night. Forever.

Exactly.

I am ready to just call Every Man for Himself but dd still needs some guidance. She's getting there. I am so over food prep, it's really becoming an issue. I really would do best to establish a meal plan and stick with it, no matter how bored everyone gets.

I confess to feeling the same way about the laundry. I always taught my kids to do their own but even just my dh's and the household stuff is an unfulfilling chore these days.

• Like 2

We like chicken thighs for hobbit chicken, which has nothing to do with hobbits, but that's what my kids call it. It's just chicken thighs with pesto on top. Somehow the pesto makes the chicken all juicy and tender during cooking. I'm too cheap to buy pine nuts, so I make my pesto with walnuts, real Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and basil, and I always have those ingredients on hand (although not dairy free).

• Like 1

I know this was from yesterday, but next time you're stuck - chicken cacciatore (lazy style). Put chicken thighs in the crock pot with some spaghetti sauce (or tomato sauce and basil, oregano, garlic), slice the green peppers and throw them in. Mushrooms if you have them. Salt and pepper. Cook on low all day and serve over egg noodles (or mashed potatoes). Everyone loves it here. 

• Like 3

We like chicken thighs for hobbit chicken, which has nothing to do with hobbits, but that's what my kids call it. It's just chicken thighs with pesto on top. Somehow the pesto makes the chicken all juicy and tender during cooking. I'm too cheap to buy pine nuts, so I make my pesto with walnuts, real Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and basil, and I always have those ingredients on hand (although not dairy free).

You can totally make pesto without cheese! (I love it with cheese, but I'm Orthodox, and so we are essentially vegan for 50% of the year.) Just bulk it up with extra nuts, or, if you have them, sun-dried oil packed tomatoes. Yum!!!!!

• Like 1

OH MY YES to pine nuts being crazy expensive. I haven't had any in a long time. I love them in salads, too.

How I make spiced chicken thighs: Add some, pepper, powdered garlic, cinnamon, ginger, and a pinch of cloves to some soy sauce, stir and pour over the chicken thighs in a baking dish. Bake for about 45 minutes, turning the pieces of chicken a couple of times during the baking to evenly coat with liquid. Serve with rice and spoon some liquid over rice for flavor, if desired. I never measure the spices, just kind of give a couple shakes of each.

Another variation is to pour a mixture of half vinegar, half soy sauce, with garlic powder and pepper, over the chicken for adobo style.

• Like 3