Menu

Explain Bratayleys and Shaytards to me, please

Annie G

A story about Caleb Logan of the Bratayleys popped up today- he passed away Friday.  So I have never heard of this thing where people vlog their life and people actually watch and they make a lot of money. Like, kids love watching this stuff. Explain this to me. I watched one episode of each- the last Bratayleys that was posted and a recent Shaytard episode. Granted, I am 54, but I don't understand the appeal. Explain it to me. Do your kids watch? Do you?  

I feel for any family who suddenly loses a child- awful stuff to go through!

voyerism with willing subjects. . . .

and apparently, now they're finding out the downside of selling their life.  people are questioning death by natural causes in a 17yo . . .

the lizzie bennet diaries was enough vlog for me.  .. . . (and if teen girls watch it, and learn from lydia's disaster, that would be worth something.)

I have no idea who you are talking about but when that story broke about those people who were vloggers and their pregnancy video went viral and then they miscarried and then they were weird... Sam and Nina I think. Anyway, I went looking at some of their old videos from before they were "famous" and I found it mind numbingly dull. She carries around a camera pointed at herself while she goes to the park with the kids or goes shopping at Walmart or cooks dinner. I was blown away at how not interesting it was. Maybe those people you're posting about are more interesting, but I don't understand the concept at all.

and apparently, now they're finding out the downside of selling their life.  people are questioning death by natural causes in a 17yo . . .

13 :(

I don't understand the appeal, but I don't really see it any different if it's on youtube or some reality show on "regular" TV.  Obviously a lot of people like "reality" TV.

There was a tv show a long time ago called Shalom in the Home or something where a rabbi came in and helped couples/families through differences. There was one family who had a whole slew of issues but the one I remember the most was that he would not stop videoing his son. As soon as they woke up, the kid was in front of a camera. It was before vlogging became a thing. And the rabbi pleaded with him to stop because he was missing out on so much by not being all there.

I feel so sorry for the parents who are videoing everything and for the families who are growing up with this mentality. I can't put it into words but this shift into narcissism (not NPD), however slight, doesn't seem healthy.

I haven't watched family YouTube channels before, but I have stumbled upon a particular maker after searching for something, decided I really liked them, and subscribed to their vlog channels (not topic specific, but personal stuff).   IDK why.  I guess for the same reason I waste time on this message board - it's entertainment I enjoy.

What's to understand other than that people have different tastes in what they find entertaining? 

I knew about vloggers who do things like tutorials about makeup or fashion and things like that. Each episode kind of tells a story.  I had never heard of these families and thought they were doing kind of the same thing- like an episode.  I guess I thought it was like a web version of a sitcom or something.

I've watched the Duggars so I'm in no position to judge what people find entertaining.  I saw some comments online about how many little kids watch these two shows daily and how upset they were going to be without them. So I wondered what the appeal was to little kids.  

I'm showing my old fogeyness here...the names of the blogs probably bugged me. I read Bratayley was a combo of brat and Hayley, their older daughter. And Shaytard was...well, the guy's name is Shay and I guess someone called him a (excuse my use of this word) retard so he combined it.  

I don't understand the appeal, but I don't really see it any different if it's on youtube or some reality show on "regular" TV.  Obviously a lot of people like "reality" TV.

I don't see much difference either - but then I don't understand why someone would want to sell their daily personal life for public consumption.

• Like 2

I don't see much difference either - but then I don't understand why someone would want to sell their daily personal life for public consumption.

Honestly, I don't think it is about money. Not 100%. If you read the comments, there are always fangirls going on about how pretty X looks, what a fun family they are, wish we could be like you, etc. It is a huge ego trip.

And Shaytard was...well, the guy's name is Shay and I guess someone called him a (excuse my use of this word) retard so he combined it.  

No, not according to an interview with him I read (I had never heard of them before this thread).  On the first(?) episode he danced around in his wife's unitard making him a Shaytard.  Hindsight being 20/20 he wishes he had not used "tard" at all.

• Like 1

No, not according to an interview with him I read (I had never heard of them before this thread).  On the first(?) episode he danced around in his wife's unitard making him a Shaytard.  Hindsight being 20/20 he wishes he had not used "tard" at all.

I'm glad to hear that! I read the other version online so I'm really glad to know there's a less offensive origin to the name. 

On the one episode I saw the guy seems to be a really nice, fun guy.  

I don't understand the appeal, but I don't really see it any different if it's on youtube or some reality show on "regular" TV. Obviously a lot of people like "reality" TV.

The difference for children might be that reality TV has more oversight? I'm not sure but I thought regulations were being changed or improved for children on reality TV.

I haven't heard of that for children on vlogs.

Honestly, I don't think it is about money. Not 100%. If you read the comments, there are always fangirls going on about how pretty X looks, what a fun family they are, wish we could be like you, etc. It is a huge ego trip.

Well, I would say plenty of these families are making a pretty penny with their youtube channels. 

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity/the-25-highest-earning-youtube-stars/

Meh - I hate all reality programs featuring kids.  On the other hand, at least the parents filming have full control of what picture is painted online of their family.  I don't get why people watch or why people do it at all though. 

The difference for children might be that reality TV has more oversight? I'm not sure but I thought regulations were being changed or improved for children on reality TV.

I haven't heard of that for children on vlogs.

I have friends (real, live, personal ones lol) who were featured in a one-off reality TV episode about preppers.  It was an interesting experience.  Among other things, they had the dad and a friend "kidnap" the kids from a water park.  They also did up their garage with weapons and ammo on display - with little kids in the house.  There was also a processing and cooking of a pig a friend had hunted and an on-camera argument between the parents about it.  The reality of that "reality" is the kids knew at all times their dad was kidnapping them.  It was not traumatic.  It is also not something the parents ever would have done on their own.  The producers insisted.  They also would never leave weapons and ammo in the garage.  Totally not safe.  Their weapons and ammo are locked up in a safe.  The pig was just weird, but that and the argument were also required by the producers.  In real reality their family doesn't generally eat pork.  They just don't like the taste.  They did make a lot of money doing the special, but it was also a lot of work, including for the children.

vlogs are run by parents.  I would *hope* the parents would have a brain making youtube videos with their kids.  Oversight and regulation would likely be a no go since it is, literally, parents taking videos of their kids and putting them on-line.  It's a bit different from having a production company create the videos for you.

I watch several vloggers. It is no different than reality tv IMO. I actually know a couple of them IRL, so maybe that is why it doesn't seem so weird to me. BUT, I think sometimes, because they put so much of their lives out there, that people stop remembering that they are real people with real lives. They tend to start having their lives picked apart by people. Most vloggers I know of are very particular about what they do and don't show. Many don't use their real last names (Bratayleys isn't their last name...its a nickname for their daughter), blur out addresses and they try to keep details out of their vlogs that would identify where their kids go to school or have activities.

I have friends (real, live, personal ones lol) who were featured in a one-off reality TV episode about preppers. It was an interesting experience. Among other things, they had the dad and a friend "kidnap" the kids from a water park. They also did up their garage with weapons and ammo on display - with little kids in the house. There was also a processing and cooking of a pig a friend had hunted and an on-camera argument between the parents about it. The reality of that "reality" is the kids knew at all times their dad was kidnapping them. It was not traumatic. It is also not something the parents ever would have done on their own. The producers insisted. They also would never leave weapons and ammo in the garage. Totally not safe. Their weapons and ammo are locked up in a safe. The pig was just weird, but that and the argument were also required by the producers. In real reality their family doesn't generally eat pork. They just don't like the taste. They did make a lot of money doing the special, but it was also a lot of work, including for the children.

vlogs are run by parents. I would *hope* the parents would have a brain making youtube videos with their kids. Oversight and regulation would likely be a no go since it is, literally, parents taking videos of their kids and putting them on-line. It's a bit different from having a production company create the videos for you.

I'm not sure if you think then vlogs are better for kids bc there is no oversight?

so - they're "selling" their daily life for the ego trip. they're still selling - even if it's more than greenbacks they're getting in return.  (and they *are* earning dollars off this.)

I'm not sure if you think then vlogs are better for kids bc there is no oversight?

No, neither is "better."  I think oversight would be pretty weird because it's parents putting up the videos.  I have some videos of my kids doing random things up on youtube (for family to see).  If you regulate vlogs which are created and put up by parents then why wouldn't you regulate random videos which are created and put up by parents.  Last I checked parents get final say when they aren't actually abusing their kids.

No, neither is "better." I think oversight would be pretty weird because it's parents putting up the videos. I have some videos of my kids doing random things up on youtube (for family to see). If you regulate vlogs which are created and put up by parents then why wouldn't you regulate random videos which are created and put up by parents. Last I checked parents get final say when they aren't actually abusing their kids.

We/society doesn't know the effects reality TV or vlogging or (blogging for that matter) about children has on them in the short or long term. It is too new a phenomena.

We/society doesn't know the effects reality TV or vlogging or (blogging for that matter) about children has on them in the short or long term. It is too new a phenomena.

I'm only responding to you saying reality TV has regulation and oversight for children on the shows while vlogs do not.  Fact is, when it is parents putting stuff up, they really do get to decide what they do or don't show and so adding regulation or oversight to what *parents* post of their own children is weird.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the effects on children.  (I have been blogging about my kids consistently for nearly 10 years.  They love it.  I do not and have never, however, posted anything embarrassing or that they didn't want me to post.  My oldest often goes back and looks at old posts on my blog and shares them with her friends.)

I'm only responding to you saying reality TV has regulation and oversight for children on the shows while vlogs do not. Fact is, when it is parents putting stuff up, they really do get to decide what they do or don't show and so adding regulation or oversight to what *parents* post of their own children is weird.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the effects on children. (I have been blogging about my kids consistently for nearly 10 years. They love it. I do not and have never, however, posted anything embarrassing or that they didn't want me to post. My oldest often goes back and looks at old posts on my blog and shares them with her friends.)

But I'm taking about situations like these families where the family is making a business out of vlogging. It seems to me, it could be very exploitative of the children.

But I'm taking about situations like these families where the family is making a business out of vlogging. It seems to me, it could be very exploitative of the children.

Absolutely.  I don't disagree.  But when you are talking regulation, it's a sticky issue when it's filmed and uploading 100% by the parents.  Parents are supposed to have the best interest of their kids at heart.  Whether they do or not, who knows.  Unless abuse could be proven, I just don't see how regulation and oversight would be possible since that's infringing on parental rights.

Oh, my gosh, I just watched several minutes of a couple episodes of both Bratayley and Shaytard and I want to poke my eyes out.  The videos are literally just random stuff the family does.  Random conversations.  Complete with shaky, handheld camera.  And they go on for 15-30 minutes each every single day.  I really, really don't get the appeal or enjoyment of watching them*.  Clearly people watch.  A lot of people.  The kids seem to either like or not care that the camera is on, though.

I will say, though, if I had just lost my 13 year old son I'd be SO glad I videoed our day to day life for years just because I'd have those videos of him.  Without the vlogging, that random stuff - so much of his life - wouldn't have been filmed.

*The only thing I can come up with is they are just another normal, happy family.  But I still can't figure out the appeal of watching another normal family going about their day to day lives.

• Like 1

I just read that his memorial service was live-streamed...

I'm just... not sure... how I feel about that...

I'm pretty sure I know how I feel about it.
  • Like 1

I don't think it's any different from all of the televised memorial services and funerals of more famous people.  Good or bad, it's the same principle.

They live stream people's memorial services and funerals? Don't think I know that was a thing except for former presidents. Learn something new every day here. 

I think I am realizing that I have crossed over into old fogey land.  I didn't like it when my younger kids wanted to play video games instead of being outside all day long like my older kids. When I learned that people watch recordings of other people's video games it seemed like one more level of living a passive life...instead of playing it myself, I'll just watch others play it. (Yeah, I know people find it entertaining)  And now people are watching other people live a life.  I guess we've always done that but this somehow seems different- people comment on how much they'd like to be the Bratayley kids or would love to be a member of the Shaytards.  

I guess it was the same as when I was watching the Brady Bunch.  Nope, it's not different. But I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around it. My old fogey is showing...excuse me while I tuck that back in. 

• Like 2

They live stream people's memorial services and funerals? Don't think I know that was a thing except for former presidents. Learn something new every day here. 

I think I am realizing that I have crossed over into old fogey land.  I didn't like it when my younger kids wanted to play video games instead of being outside all day long like my older kids. When I learned that people watch recordings of other people's video games it seemed like one more level of living a passive life...instead of playing it myself, I'll just watch others play it. (Yeah, I know people find it entertaining)  And now people are watching other people live a life.  I guess we've always done that but this somehow seems different- people comment on how much they'd like to be the Bratayley kids or would love to be a member of the Shaytards.  

I guess it was the same as when I was watching the Brady Bunch.  Nope, it's not different. But I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around it. My old fogey is showing...excuse me while I tuck that back in. 

Lol.  I feel old in that I don't enjoy a lot of things the way my kids do, but my struggle is more with having to listen to all of it than with "getting" it.  But I also think my kids are appropriately balanced, so I haven't felt much of a need to question it.

• Like 1

I try to protect my dc electronic "footprint."

It's kind of disturbing that people would post VLOGs about their dc. Imagining getting to adulthood and there is all this information out there about you and you had no choice about it.

I have posted pics of my kids on fb, so I haven't kept them offline totally. I also limit what I say about them. I have said a lot here, but I think one would really need to dig what I've said with the names of my dc.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of a vlog available publicly that includes children.