Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW40: Ominous October

Robin M

Dd and I are also going to read the Sue Grafton's together in order. In order is important to her too. :lol:

I've thought the series holds up well, and I'm so impressed that she has kept them set in the 80s, with all that old fashioned technology!  Pay phones and index cards and typewriters -- how tedious! I keep thinking I'll luck out and find X on the new releases shelf at the library, but should probably suck it up and just put it on hold, or just wait for Christmas as my ds has given me the last 2 as Christmas gifts!

I've also been thinking I should revisit the Tony Hillerman books set on the Navajo reservation. I loved them when I was in my 20s and have kept the few I own.  I see his daughter is continuing the series, but haven't had the heart to try one. 

• Like 9

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love Good Omens! Glad to hear it is bringing joy (& snickers) to others!

So, if Good Omens brings Snickers, I'd like to know which book brings Almond Joy.

And some bookish items ~

33 Impossibly Cute Ways To Cover Your Body In Books

and an older post

35 Impossibly Clever Pieces Of Jewelry Inspired By Books

I see Ferdinand!

A few of us have mentioned enjoying Kristen Ashley books in the past.  I see a couple of her Kindle titles are currently 99 cents each.

Fire Inside: A Chaos Novel by Kristen Ashley

and
Lacybourne Manor by Kristen Ashley

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

I've thought the series holds up well, and I'm so impressed that she has kept them set in the 80s, with all that old fashioned technology! Pay phones and index cards and typewriters -- how tedious! I keep thinking I'll luck out and find X on the new releases shelf at the library, but should probably suck it up and just put it on hold, or just wait for Christmas as my ds has given me the last 2 as Christmas gifts!

I've also been thinking I should revisit the Tony Hillerman books set on the Navajo reservation. I loved them when I was in my 20s and have kept the few I own. I see his daughter is continuing the series, but haven't had the heart to try one.

The phone messages all over the place boggled my mind today while reading A. She has an answering service. Her cheap hotel in LA was $11. I am also glad she has kept them in the 80's but it seems odd to read them and feel nostalgic.

X was good. ;) I thought a couple were not quite up to the normal standards, around S I think. So was happy to read a really good one. I think you should probably wait for Christmas. Just think how happy your son will be if you read his gift on Christmas Day because you can't resist! :lol:

I read Hillerman back in my 20's also. I can't remember much about the characters at all but have considered the new ones also. I stopped reading that series somewhere along the way. I think I just didn't have time with dc's. I have a feeling a complete reread would be required for me to enjoy the new ones.....maybe I will get dd to try those next. :lol:

ETA: I just checked my overdrive and they do have several Hillerman's including the first one. Maybe I will try....but not during Spooky month!

• Like 9

I got X when it came out. I got on the library hold list over the summer. I was only able to read a couple chapters before it was due back. But it pulled me in and im aggravated with myself that I didn't make better use of my time. now I'm just waiting for it again.

I, too, love that Sue Grafton kept Kinsey in the 80s with the 80s technology...she makes a point of saying her office is near the library and courts so she doesn't have to go far to research. :-)

I finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. It was depressing, and kind of creepy. Probably not creepy enough for a spook tabular, though.

• Like 11

I just finished reading Don't Let Go by Sharla Lovelace; this is the first book I've read by this author, but I'd happily read more.

"Noah Ryan and Jules Doucette had spent every moment of their lives together, first as childhood best friends and later as young lovers. The two had their future all planned out—until one unspeakable decision tore them apart.

Twenty-six years later, Jules is living her life by someone else’s plan. She’s running her mother’s store, living in her mother’s house, following her mother’s rules, and keeping the secrets her mother made her bury.

Then Noah comes home, and any sense of order and structure flies out the window. Noah’s return does more than just stir up old memories—it also forces Jules to see her life in a whole new way and uncover secrets even she didn’t know were hidden. But can the power of first love triumph over years of pain and lies?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

This one is for Stacia and other film buffs, courtesy of my husband: "Suffrajitsu".

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34425615

Fascinating! Thanks. (A friend & I had already talked about wanting to see this movie. I'm forwarding the article to her & a few other friends too....)

Btw, I finished Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities tonight (as I read the somewhat soggy pages after spilling water all over my book :blushing: ). It's very poetic prose, like reading little gems & polished stones from a beautiful kaleidoscope. Imo, this book makes more sense & may have more beauty if you read it after reading Marco Polo's book; I think by reading Polo followed by Calvino, you get a lovely juxtaposition of described cities, real & imagined, ugly & beautiful, familiar & esoteric.

There has always been debate over whether or not Polo made his trek or if he was just a good storyteller (aided by his prison cellmate/scribe, a writer of adventure tales). I am wondering if Invisible Cities is Calvino's vote on the controversy. Invisible Cities describes many cities, yet, ultimately describes one city... Venice. So, is Calvino saying that Polo's account was the product of a good storyteller, one who was just presenting different facets of his home city, perhaps someone who never traveled very far at all yet could spin a good yarn?

(For those that have read Invisible Cities, do you think this? Or not?)

I think this book would make fascinating, if unusual, reading for college students going into urban planning & development.

Unique & worth reading, especially if you have read Marco Polo's book.

ETA: Completing Invisible Cities means I have completed 52 books so far this year!

• Like 12

While I have read Invisible Cities, I have not read Marco Polo.  What I wanted to comment on though was Stacia's note regarding future urban planners.  In addition to reading Invisible Cities, they might also want to read another of Calvino's novels, The Baron in the Trees, in which a young man takes up residency in the treetops!

Both my husband and I love Calvino which is quite interesting since otherwise he and I have different tastes in reading. Difficult Loves is currently residing in the dusty stacks.

• Like 9

Some might be interested in this free Audible offering ~

ETA: Especially if you have 13 hours and 26 minutes at your disposal!

FREE: Locke & Key by Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez, Haley Joel Osment and Tatiana Maslany (Oct 5, 2015)Original recording

Based on the best-selling, award-winning graphic novel series Locke & Key - written by acclaimed suspense novelist Joe Hill (NOS4A2, Horns) and illustrated by Gabriel Rodriguez - this multicast, fully dramatized audio production brings the images and words to life.

A brutal and tragic event drives the Locke family from their home in California to the relative safety of their ancestral estate in Lovecraft, Massachusetts, an old house with powerful keys and fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them. As siblings Tyler, Kinsey, and Bode Locke discover the secrets of the old house, they also find that it's home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all....

Featuring performances by Haley Joel Osment (Entourage, The Sixth Sense), Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black), Kate Mulgrew (Orange Is the New Black, Star Trek: Voyager), Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez, and Stephen King (The Stand, 11-22-63), as well as a cast of more than 50 voice actors, this audio production preserves the heart-stopping impact of the graphic novel's astounding artwork through the use of richly imagined sound design and a powerful original score.

Locke & Key is FREE until November 4, 2015.

*Locke & Key contains explicit language and adult situations.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Just got a notice that The Man in the Brown Suit ebook I had on hold is in. Because I don't have enough to read.

Take solace in the knowledge that you're not alone.  I have six holds waiting at one library and two at another.  (The danger is that books on hold can reproduce overnight like dustbunnies!)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

So today is my birthday and I had a wonderful weekend with my family. College girl was home to visit and Saturday morning I had to take my son to a chess tournament. I had forgotten that they were supposed to bring their own chess clock so I went on a quick search for one nearby. Barnes and Noble was right down the road so that was my destination. Well no luck on the chess clock but I did get to spend two hours alone wandering around the store, sipping Salted Caramel Mocha and browsing happily from section to section. I did purchase a Zentangle set for myself and lots of great stuff from the half price section - Happy Birthday to Me - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Happy belated birthday. Glad you had fun browsing Barnes and Noble.

• Like 8

Hmmm! Just did 61 likes. Mayhaps the like gremlin doesn't exist for iPad.

Congratulations Melissa on your 104 and Stacia on your 52. You both have filled my wishlists with a diverse selection of books.

I'm afraid I didn't appreciate Invisible Cities as much as I should have. I enjoyed the conversations between Polo and Kublai Kahn more than anything else. Have to admit I started skipping the different cities portion. Guess even though it is a small book, It has to be read in even smaller doses to get it. I'll have to check out Baron in the Trees.

karenI: thank you for the link to Locke and Key. Even though I'm tempted, I just cant listen to those stories. Read them yes, but listen. Gives me nightmares.

Hugs Butter and Kathy. - hope you both feel better soon.

Hope your staying dry as possible Jane!

• Like 8

Robin, like you, I enjoyed the conversational part of Invisible Cities most. It's almost as if each city description was a meld of poetry & short story with a little bit of philosophy tossed in. They were lovely, but neither poetry nor short stories are favorite forms of mine. As I read, I tried to appreciate each one as a separate gem.

• Like 7

PSA: If you are sick and getting sicker, don't try to tell yourself that you are really getting better, not worse.  Go to the doctor.  My severe bronchitis was turning into walking pneumonia.  I am on cough syrup with codeine, antibiotics, and steroids now and after less than 24 hours I am feeling so much better.

So I had a first happen today.  I review pretty much every book I read on my blog.  I've been doing that for almost 2 full years for a total of almost 150 book reviews.  For the last few months I've been tweeting links to my reviews as well and, if they are on Twitter, I tag the author in my tweet.  I've had a few authors retweet my tweets which is really cool.  This morning I woke up to a comment on my blog from Tony James Slater, the author of Kamikaze Kangaroos!  He thanked me for my review and apologized for the bad language and said he is working on cutting it down in real life and in his books.  He also warned his book from when he was in Ecuador is really full of bad language.  So that was really cool.

Today Rick Riordan's newest book was released.  Magnus Chase and the Sword of Asgard.  It's his first in his Norse god series (trilogy I think it will be).  I get tired of his writing (and Heroes of Olympus was about 2 books too long), but I can't seem to not read what he writes.  I'll read that one after I finish Scorch Trials (which I just started yesterday).

• Like 13

Today Rick Riordan's newest book was released.  Magnus Chase and the Sword of Asgard.  It's his first in his Norse god series (trilogy I think it will be).  I get tired of his writing (and Heroes of Olympus was about 2 books too long), but I can't seem to not read what he writes.  I'll read that one after I finish Scorch Trials (which I just started yesterday).

My girls are beyond excited  Rick Riordan is almost all Morgan will read on her own.  Over and over and over. We've had this book on hold for about 6 months now.

• Like 8

:grouphug: :grouphug:  Heather! Take care of yourself. Glad you went to the doctor. Sounds like you have something similar to my friend here who was so sick & (thankfully) went to the doctor yesterday too.

Hope you feel better soon.

(And that's so cool about the author contacting you about his profanity, lol.)

• Like 8

Speaking of Dame Agatha - I feel like we've done this already, but can I get a short list of your very favorite book of hers? Or similar mysteries - no sex, not gory or violent - that a 13 year old would like?  Shannon has read all my favorites - And Then There Were None, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Murder on the Orient Express - and is asking for more. I gave her The Man in the Brown Suit, but it's not one of my favorites, although I liked it fine.  I feel like AC had two categories of mysteries - the really unique and truly surprising kind, and then the "English Country House" kind (even if they didn't take place in an English country house, or even in England), where you just look at the cast of characters, and the most improbable one is the murderer, however implausible.  I felt like Brown Suit was more in that category, as were a lot of Georgette Heyer book mysteries, though I do like them.  I have some of those in a box I'll pull out for Shannon, but wanted to see if people had a favorite Agatha novel she hasn't read yet.

• Like 9

Speaking of Dame Agatha - I feel like we've done this already, but can I get a short list of your very favorite book of hers? Or similar mysteries - no sex, not gory or violent - that a 13 year old would like? 

Has she read the Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley? The first one is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. Love this series. My ds loves this series too.

I haven't read AG since I was in my 20s. I was a Hercule fan, not a Miss Marple fan. I remember my favorite book being Curtain (Hercule's last case), but I don't remember much about it or if it would be appropriate or not.

• Like 11

Has she read the Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley? The first one is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. Love this series. My ds loves this series too.

I haven't read AG since I was in my 20s. I was a Hercule fan, not a Miss Marple fan. I remember my favorite book being Curtain (Hercule's last case), but I don't remember much about it or if it would be appropriate or not.

She and I both really liked the first one, but I didn't like the second one so much and we fizzled out with the series. What I didn't like about the subsequent novels was that there didn't seem to be any development with the characters & the relationships - at the beginning of book 2, you were right back where you started with the sister feuding, despite the bonding they had done in the first book.  I don't know, it just felt like it was going to be really formulaic. I could be wrong. But it drives me nuts when somebody comes up with a great idea for a first book, and then just repeats it with small variations for a whole series, and that's what I felt like was happening with those books. The first one was awesome.

I felt the same way about the Jasper Fforde series that started with The Eyre Affair.  The first one was great, but it fizzled for me.

Curtain is a good suggestion. I don't really remember the plots of most of the books either, I think I read them all in junior high.

• Like 9

and then the "English Country House" kind (even if they didn't take place in an English country house, or even in England), where you just look at the cast of characters, and the most improbable one is the murderer, however implausible.

:D, that's exactly what I always think when people talk about Agatha Christie. I guess I never read the unique ones. I'll be :bigear: to people's favorites and give AG a second chance.

• Like 7

You know, I'd give Alan Bradley's books another try. I don't like series books & yet I've read the first six. (There are now seven total.)

The second book was my least favorite &, imo, the weakest of all of them. I loved the third one. The series gets better as it goes along (w/ the exception of the 2nd one), imo.

There is actually character development & story development over the longer term. The series was originally slated for six books & I have to say that I loved how it all led up to & culminated in that sixth book. That one is definitely more serious & sober in tone, but he did a wonderful job of wrapping things up (so if the series had stopped there, you'd be satisfied), but also did a great job in providing a new window for new possible directions (which is what the 7th book is, I guess).

• Like 9

Speaking of Dame Agatha - I feel like we've done this already, but can I get a short list of your very favorite book of hers? Or similar mysteries - no sex, not gory or violent - that a 13 year old would like?  Shannon has read all my favorites - And Then There Were None, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Murder on the Orient Express - and is asking for more. I gave her The Man in the Brown Suit, but it's not one of my favorites, although I liked it fine.  I feel like AC had two categories of mysteries - the really unique and truly surprising kind, and then the "English Country House" kind (even if they didn't take place in an English country house, or even in England), where you just look at the cast of characters, and the most improbably one is the murderer, however implausible.  I felt like Brown Suit was more in that category, as were a lot of Georgette Heyer book mysteries, though I do like them.  I have some of those in a box I'll pull out for Shannon, but wanted to see if people had a favorite Agatha novel she hasn't read yet.

There was an article that I saw recently which noted that while Christie knew her poisons, she did not subject her readers to the real gore of death by toxins.  Similarly, I don't recall ever reading a scene involving sex or graphic violence. 

I now read Christie differently having learned that her second husband was an archaeologist.  It was my son who pointed this out along with her famous quote:

An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her.

Now I look for Christie books with archaeologists as characters or books that have exotic settings.

I'll admit though that she wrote so many books that it is hard to remember which plot goes with which catchy title.

• Like 11

the "English Country House" kind (even if they didn't take place in an English country house, or even in England), where you just look at the cast of characters, and the most improbable one is the murderer, however implausible.

I don't know why, but now I'm giggling because this is what I picture...

• Like 10

She and I both really liked the first one, but I didn't like the second one so much and we fizzled out with the series. What I didn't like about the subsequent novels was that there didn't seem to be any development with the characters & the relationships - at the beginning of book 2, you were right back where you started with the sister feuding, despite the bonding they had done in the first book.  I don't know, it just felt like it was going to be really formulaic. I could be wrong. But it drives me nuts when somebody comes up with a great idea for a first book, and then just repeats it with small variations for a whole series, and that's what I felt like was happening with those books. The first one was awesome.

Another who gave up after the second book. I was so disappointed.

• Like 8

Rose, Dd is out right now so I will ask her for ideas when she gets in. Her favourite Christie series was Tommy and Tuppence when she started reading Christie. She also really liked The Inspector Battle ones starting withhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16361.The_Secret_of_Chimneys?ac=1. Why didn't they ask Evans is a really good one. I tried to read ahead of her and the only one I remember not letting her read at 12/13 was one of the Egyptian ones and can't remember why. Her favourite Poirot was Death in the Clouds.

Flavia fans here too. Agree with the second not being quite as good.

Heather :grouphug: Glad you went to the Dr.

• Like 9

PSA: If you are sick and getting sicker, don't try to tell yourself that you are really getting better, not worse.  Go to the doctor.  My severe bronchitis was turning into walking pneumonia.  I am on cough syrup with codeine, antibiotics, and steroids now and after less than 24 hours I am feeling so much better.

This was me last January (except I didn't need cough syrup). I had never had pneumonia before--note to self: crackling lungs is not a normal sound! Antibiotics helped right away, but it was several weeks before I could really handle stairs without gasping again. Hope you're back to normal soon.

So I had a first happen today.  I review pretty much every book I read on my blog.  I've been doing that for almost 2 full years for a total of almost 150 book reviews.  For the last few months I've been tweeting links to my reviews as well and, if they are on Twitter, I tag the author in my tweet.  I've had a few authors retweet my tweets which is really cool.  This morning I woke up to a comment on my blog from Tony James Slater, the author of Kamikaze Kangaroos!  He thanked me for my review and apologized for the bad language and said he is working on cutting it down in real life and in his books.  He also warned his book from when he was in Ecuador is really full of bad language.  So that was really cool.

Thanks for the heads-up--just put it on hold. A 3-book series would be good; we enjoyed the 3-book Kane Chronicles but just trying to listen to the last few Heroes of Olympus books in the car was tedious. I don't think we even finished and we didn't really care!

• Like 11

:grouphug: Heather :grouphug:  Now that you have some serious meds, I hope you recover quickly. But don't push it. If you need to rest, rest.

Belated Happy Birthday wishes,  Shawne.

Jane and anyone else in the area I hope you are able to stay dry.

So, speaking of Agatha Christie, any Doctor Who fans here? Especially the 10th Doctor? :D

• Like 13

Speaking of Dame Agatha - I feel like we've done this already, but can I get a short list of your very favorite book of hers? Or similar mysteries - no sex, not gory or violent - that a 13 year old would like?

I read many Agatha Christie novels when I was your daughter's age, but I no longer remember titles that I could recommend.  (Ah, the ageing brain.)

This recent post on another site in which a poster asks for titles for her 90 year old mother who likes cozy mysteries might be of some interest. 

The Rec League: Reading Material for Mom

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Yesterday I finished Jennifer Ashley's paranormal romance  Bad Wolf (Shifters Unbound).  I enjoyed it.  It's 7.5 (yes, you read that right) in the Shifters Unbound series.  While it could be read independently, I'd recommend reading the other books in the series first for greater understanding.

"Broderick is stuck looking after some Collar-less Shifters who are driving him crazy, but he’s putting up with them for Joanna, the human woman he, for some reason, wants to impress. The new Shifters are bringing danger to Broderick’s family, though, and he’ll need Joanna’s help to protect them."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Thanks for the reminder! We picked up the Greek Heroes book and that's been keeping DS busy because he's read all the other Riordan books. I'll check the store this afternoon.

• Like 7

Eliana and I are fans of Nancy Bond although heretofore I had only read A String in the Harp (three times!) and Country of Broken Stone. Moments ago I finished Another Shore which raises an interesting question in my mind on classification of books.

Before that discussion, let's talk about Another Shore.

In 2013, Eliana wrote:

Another Shore is the most perfectly done time slip novel I have ever read. It also eschews romanticism and easy answers, and show complex people and relationships in equally complex contexts.

Time slips are tricky in my mind. I have to agree that Bond does it well in Another Shore. Seventeen year old Lyn Paget has a summer job at the reconstructed Fort Louisbourg in Nova Scotia (think French version of Williamsburg). Suddenly she finds herself in 1744. She is no longer Lyn Paget but Elisabeth Bernard--few seem to realize that she is not Elisabeth. And life as she knows it is about to become difficult on so many levels.

Bond introduces us to a lengthy list of characters which is how it should be as an immediate family, other relatives and employees of the family bakery all live under the same roof. Lyn finds she does not have freedom as a young woman to wander; young children are working and not playing from an early age; and that one is only alone in the privy. Otherwise whatever one does or says is seen and heard by all.

Eventually she encounters others who have experienced this one way time slip. Will they ever be able to return to the modern world?

The story plays out with 18th century realism. There are horrible diseases and a lack of medicine. Marriages are arranged to the mutual benefit of families and businesses. A seventeen year old girl who is accustomed to speaking her mind must live with the consequences of doing so in another culture.

But Bond also brings up modern problems as well. Lyn is the daughter of a single parent, a girl whose father was not a part of her life. She was raised to be independent but is thrust into a society where survival depends on interdependence. And one can be lonely in either world, either by oneself or surrounded by family.

This is a good book.

But let me now quote the next sentence that Eliana wrote back in 2013:

For those cautious about the content of what they had their teen readers, I do recommend pre-reading.

Another Shore is shelved with Juvenile Fiction at my library. This was published in 1988 and I am now wondering if the library had a Young Adult section at the time it was purchased by the system. Frankly I think this would be a fine teen novel but, as Eliana said, there might be some discomfort to certain parents given sexual content. I don't think that I would hand this book to the average 13 year old. If I had a fifteen year old daughter who was an avid reader and someone with whom I had open and frank discussions, I might go there. But I will say that my eyebrows went up as I read the book thinking "This lives on the Juvenile Fiction shelf?"

Young Adult books have become quite popular with not so young adults who seem to appreciate their often dark themes. Another Shore is not dark. Another Shore is far more complex than many of the young adult books that I read when my son was in high school. I am not sure where it fits in the modern library.

Nancy Bond crafts a good tale. I will read more of her works.

• Like 11

I finished The Museum at Purgatory by Nick Bantock.

I thought it would be something for my spooky reading, though it turned out to not be spooky at all (imo). Probably at the most extreme case, it might be odd in a few spots (some of the art displayed in the book). It kind of presents itself as a museum guide, a museum in Purgatory. The chapters each outline a particular person & his/her collection that is on display in the museum. Really, the purpose of looking at each display individually is to see each of these people as they looked back/examined their lives, what led them to collect or create the items or types of items they have displayed, & figure out what that means as far as their personalities, each person's past life, & each person's future. (Will s/he go to one of the utopian or dystopian places upon leaving Purgatory?) I guess it's more a philosophical/life/art musing more than anything else. The last chapter is 'autobiographical' by the museum curator himself (who had amnesia upon arriving in Purgatory) so his leading you through various rooms at the museum also leads to him finding out about himself.

So, it's unique, has some funky & cool art, & is probably a great little book for those who want 'spooky' October reading but who don't 'do spooky'. :lol:  Jane, one of the chapters is about an archaeologist. You might find it interesting (along with some of the 'artifacts' pictured in the book). Do you want me to send it your way?

• Like 9

So, it's unique, has some funky & cool art, & is probably a great little book for those who want 'spooky' October reading but who don't 'do spooky'. :lol:  Jane, one of the chapters is about an archaeologist. You might find it interesting (along with some of the 'artifacts' pictured in the book). Do you want me to send it your way?

No thanks. While I enjoyed Griffin and Sabine at the time, I think I have had enough Nick Bantock.  You are kind to think of me.

• Like 6

I'm a brand new Dr. Who watcher. Just started in Season 1. But I'm loving it so far! I'll look forward to the Agatha episode.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll grab those for Shannon.

I've never seen a Dr. Who, but planning to start after Christmas--I'm thinking seasons 1 and 2 will be under the tree for the girls. (Oops. Not book related at all)

• Like 8

Eliana and I are fans of Nancy Bond although heretofore I had only read A String in the Harp (three times!) and Country of Broken Stone. Moments ago I finished Another Shore which raises an interesting question in my mind on classification of books.

Before that discussion, let's talk about Another Shore.

In 2013, Eliana wrote:

Time slips are tricky in my mind. I have to agree that Bond does it well in Another Shore. Seventeen year old Lyn Paget has a summer job at the reconstructed Fort Louisbourg in Nova Scotia (think French version of Williamsburg). Suddenly she finds herself in 1744. She is no longer Lyn Paget but Elisabeth Bernard--few seem to realize that she is not Elisabeth. And life as she knows it is about to become difficult on so many levels.

Bond introduces us to a lengthy list of characters which is how it should be as an immediate family, other relatives and employees of the family bakery all live under the same roof. Lyn finds she does have freedom as a young woman to wander; young children are working and not playing from an early age; and that one is only alone in the privy. Otherwise whatever one does or says is seen and heard by all.

Eventually she encounters others who have experienced this one way time slip. Will they ever be able to return to the modern world?

The story plays out with 18th century realism. There are horrible diseases and a lack of medicine. Marriages are arranged to the mutual benefit of families and businesses. A seventeen year old girl who is accustomed to speaking her mind must live with the consequences of doing so in another culture.

But Bond also brings up modern problems as well. Lyn is the daughter of a single parent, a girl whose father was not a part of her life. She was raised to be independent but is thrust into a society where survival depends on interdependence. And one can be lonely in either world, either by oneself or surrounded by family.

This is a good book.

But let me now quote the next sentence that Eliana wrote back in 2013:

Another Shore is shelved with Juvenile Fiction at my library. This was published in 1988 and I am now wondering if the library had a Young Adult section at the time it was purchased by the system. Frankly I think this would be a fine teen novel but, as Eliana said, there might be some discomfort to certain parents given sexual content. I don't think that I would hand this book to the average 13 year old. If I had a fifteen year old daughter who was an avid reader and someone with whom I had open and frank discussions, I might go there. But I will say that my eyebrows went up as I read the book thinking "This lives on the Juvenile Fiction shelf?"

Young Adult books have become quite popular with not so young adults who seem to appreciate their often dark themes. Another Shore is not dark. Another Shore is far more complex than many of the young adult books that I read when my son was in high school. I am not sure where it fits in the modern library.

Nancy Bond crafts a good tale. I will read more of her works.

I just went on Goodreads to put Another Shore on my want to read list and discovered that it is number nine on their Children's Timeslip Listhttps://www.goodreads.com/list/show/72120.Timeslip_in_Children_s_Fiction#724935. The shelving of books can have some really blurred edges in libraries. Unfortunatly none of my libraries has it or any of the other Nancy Bond books.

• Like 7

So today is my birthday and I had a wonderful weekend with my family. 

Happy Belated Birthday Shawne!  :grouphug:

Negin, I read this book years ago and felt exactly the same - in a kick-in-the-gut sort of way.

Yes, it's certainly not one that I'll easily forget. 

• Like 8

I finished reading Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins to the boys last night.  Before I even finished it my 7 year old asked me if we could read the next book in the series next.  I'll call that a win!

Just a heads up, I had to stop the books for my 6 yr old later in the series. It ramps up the violence and graphic detail of death and fighting. I can't remember which book I stopped with due to it being too much for him. So you may want to pre-read just to be sure your little one will be okay with it.

Happy belated birthday, Shawne.  

• Like 8

You know, I'd give Alan Bradley's books another try. I don't like series books & yet I've read the first six. (There are now seven total.)

The second book was my least favorite &, imo, the weakest of all of them. I loved the third one. The series gets better as it goes along (w/ the exception of the 2nd one), imo.

There is actually character development & story development over the longer term. The series was originally slated for six books & I have to say that I loved how it all led up to & culminated in that sixth book. That one is definitely more serious & sober in tone, but he did a wonderful job of wrapping things up (so if the series had stopped there, you'd be satisfied), but also did a great job in providing a new window for new possible directions (which is what the 7th book is, I guess).

I second this!  I had the same feeling about the characters.  I remember writing that I was disappointed that the sisters' relationship wasn't better.  But the character development is subtle and slow, and in the end I was more than pleased.  The second book is definitely the worst.  However, after that they only get better with each book.  Aly is reading the second one now.

:grouphug: Heather :grouphug:  Now that you have some serious meds, I hope you recover quickly. But don't push it. If you need to rest, rest.

Belated Happy Birthday wishes,  Shawne.

Jane and anyone else in the area I hope you are able to stay dry.

So, speaking of Agatha Christie, any Doctor Who fans here? Especially the 10th Doctor? :D

Huge Doctor Who fans!!  I love David Tennant but Matt Smith is my favorite Doctor.  

That's why Dd loves Death in the clouds!

I hadn't made the connection.  Thanks!  I'll put that on my list for Aly.

Aly has been sick since Thursday, me since Friday, and Skye since Saturday.  Aly is the worst off, poor thing.  Though she is doing a little better this evening.  Thankfully, I believe we just have colds.  

I finished Brave New World a few hours ago so hopefully tomorrow I'll have a clear enough head to discuss it, Stacia.  I didn't like it.  LOL!  

• Like 11

Rose, Dd is out right now so I will ask her for ideas when she gets in. Her favourite Christie series was Tommy and Tuppence when she started reading Christie. She also really liked The Inspector Battle ones starting withhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16361.The_Secret_of_Chimneys?ac=1. Why didn't they ask Evans is a really good one. I tried to read ahead of her and the only one I remember not letting her read at 12/13 was one of the Egyptian ones and can't remember why. Her favourite Poirot was Death in the Clouds.

Flavia fans here too. Agree with the second not being quite as good.

Heather :grouphug: Glad you went to the Dr.

I walked into the library today and almost the first thing I saw was Why Didn't They Ask Evans, on the paperbacks-for-a-buck shelf.  So we now own it! I'm happy, I've never even heard of this one. So thanks!

And I put the third Flavia book on hold - since the consensus seems to be that it was the worst, maybe we'll just skip it.  It was the one I abandoned.   I don't imagine it will be crucial to understanding the rest, right?

• Like 8

Just a heads up, I had to stop the books for my 6 yr old later in the series. It ramps up the violence and graphic detail of death and fighting. I can't remember which book I stopped with due to it being too much for him. So you may want to pre-read just to be sure your little one will be okay with it.

Thanks for the heads up.  My 7 year old loves watching Hunger Games and Divergent.  He's even snuck a few episodes of Supernatural with his sister.  He's not what I'd call sensitive.  The 9 year old is more sensitive than the 7 year old, however, so we'll see how it goes for him.

• Like 9

Thanks for the heads up.  My 7 year old loves watching Hunger Games and Divergent.  He's even snuck a few episodes of Supernatural with his sister.  He's not what I'd call sensitive.  The 9 year old is more sensitive than the 7 year old, however, so we'll see how it goes for him.

There was a scene that involved baby mice that was too much for me. I am a whimp when it comes to baby anything. 

• Like 9

Reporting back re: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard.

We have our copy! DS went to the bookstore with $20.00 and the book was $19.99 before tax. When it turned out he didn't have enough money, the employee gave him her discount and he was so appreciative.  :001_wub:

He loves to swim but is a little bummed he has to head to the pool instead of digging into the book right away.

• Like 11

Book fail, I think.

I started The Monstrumologist earlier this evening. While it seemed quick & easy to fall into, it wasn't long before it started getting gross. I enjoy spooky but am not a fan of gore or excessive grossness. I kept uneasily reading for a bit, wondering if I really, really wanted to keep reading, thinking surely things are going to get worse (and probably a lot worse over 400+ pages)....

Then, I looked on goodreads. Some of my goodreads friends have rated the book & one comment that all had in common is that there is a lot of gore (which was ok w/ most of the friends who had read it, they were just mentioning it as a caveat since it's technically a YA book). For example, karen's review starts out with...

okay, so monsters.

this reads like victorian teen fiction, only with more arterial spray.

Um, ok, yeah, her description makes me :lol:  (she writes pretty hilarious reviews a lot of the time) but also confirms that I think I'm going to stop now & hope I don't have nightmares from what I've already read. I will admit to being a wee bit curious about the story, but I also know there will probably be things that I can't un-see or un-read, so I have decided to remain happy in my ignorance of the book (I think). A quick peek at the list of reviews shows that quite a few people mention that there is a lot of gore in here.

Anyone (braver than me) want this? Let me know & I'll send it on to you in time for some spooky (or worse) Halloween reading. :zombie:

• Like 11