Menu

Books with Monsters/Dragons that are not scary?

nature girl

My DD6 LOVES scary(ish) books, but she also has mild anxiety, so I learned early on that I need to pre-read any of the books we pick out to make sure they're more silly than scary, or if the monsters do start out seeming scary, they turn out to either learn kindness or to be so foolish that they're easily vanquished (a la Quillow, one of DD's favorites.)

Can any of you recommend books at a 1st or 2nd grade interest level (for me to read) that might seem scary enough at first to catch her attention, but won't make her insist on sleeping in our bed at night?

I'd also love to hear recommended books at a K-2nd grade reading level, which I'm sure would be fantastic motivation to get her reading. 

The Dragon books by Dav Pilkey are more funny than scary.

Peggy Parish wrote a book about monsters (No More Monsters for Me!), which is an easy-reader about a girl who takes home a baby monster which grows in her basement. It's more silly than scary, although there is some of the "I'm going to get in trouble" peril that makes my ASD kiddo anxious. 

• Like 1

+1 for the Patricia Wrede Enchanted Forest Chronicles and My Father's Dragon. I think the Wrede might be a LITTLE over her head right now, but I think she will get enough to make it fun, and reading about a strong spunky princess is awesome. She can always reread them in a few years to get more out of them :D

• Like 2

Another vote for My Father's Dragon--the kids and I both love it! 

For her to read on her own:

My kids loved Tedd Arnold's series about Huggly, the Monster Under the Bed.  They're not scary, more silly (though the monsters nearly get caught in every book)--but the reading level of those books ranges from mid-1st to mid-2nd, if I remember correctly, which would be perfect.  A lot of the Magic Tree House books also involve mythical animals--a sea serpent helps them in the Viking book, Pegasus saves them in the Olympics book...  DD still loves these because there's the perfect hint of danger without being truly scary.  Those, of course, are more 2nd-3rd grade reading level (with the later books being longer and more complex).

• Like 1

Oh, fond memories of Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon! Dd loved that book:)

More picture-type books but two Julia Donaldson books:

Room on the Broom and Zog

Zog is a personal favorite as the dragon wants to rescue a princess buy the princess is insistent that she is perfectly capable of rescuingherself. She wants to be a doctor alongside her knight in shining armor--but does consent to let Zog be a dragon ambulance.

Not your Ordinary Dragon is good as well, and definitely The Reluctant Dragon. I have to say, be prepared to look lively reading this one! Challenging to read aloud:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want you to say thank you yet again for all these wonderful suggestions! We've had such a fun couple of weeks reading through them (or at least through those that were available from my library...I'm guessing that someone within our ILL system has been enjoying this thread too, because several of the books have been checked out since the thread began, and the last two recommendations were checked out within a couple of days of the recommendations here. :) )

I especially want to thank the ladies who reminded me of My Father's Dragon. I'd read it to DD when she was just barely 3, and she just finished reading it to me. There was something so poignant but wonderful and powerful listening to her read it that I can't even quite put into words, but that I'm sure you all understand... <3

• Like 5