Menu

Toning up after weight loss - with bad knees

AimeeM

The doctor describes my bad knees as "trauma-induced arthritis" (sports; gymnastics on a competitive level to be specific), or something like that. I'm 30 and have been on daily NSAIDs for my knees since I was... 15 or 16, I think? He is sending me to an orthopedic surgeon and wants me to consider the possibility of knee replacements (both knees). Fun times. Regardless, that's somewhat off topic (but not by much, lol).

I recently wanted to lose 10-15 lbs. I've lost most of what I wanted to lose, but I'm having an awful time figuring out how to tone up those areas (and they NEED to be toned!) in a way that is "no-impact" for my knees. The doctor said that at this point he's fine recommending squats as a way for me to tone my bottom areas... but I can't physically DO traditional squats :p

I have Hip Hop Abs, and I love it. I'm not allowed to use it, though, without so many modifications that it makes it essentially worthless.

So, I'd like to tone up my thighs, my hip-area, and my bottom. I'd love to tone up my stomach, too, but after 3 c-sections and a complete hysterectomy, I think the area there that needs toned up is of the variety that may only respond to surgery.

Any suggestions?

I probably should have said that I need something I can do at home, if I want it to get done regularly ;) Swimming is a GREAT idea, but I wouldn't be able to get there regularly - between DS6's medical issues and DS3's "sensory seeking" behavior, I couldn't put them in the Y childcare.

There is an ab/butt toning exercise that I remember from an aerobic class where you lay on your stomach, knees bent, and lift your lower leg straight up a little, foot toward the ceiling.  That at least is not load bearing on your knees.  Maybe that would be a good way to start, and also of course crunches and sideways crunches.

There are a lot of exercises you can do on a Swiss ball (or exercise ball) that do not involve weight-bearing on your knees. Go to youtube and search for the muscle group you want to exercise and "Swiss ball" or "exercise ball" or "stability ball." You'll find a lot. 

So sorry to hear that about your knees and so young! Yikes!  I would also try youtube and "exercises for knees." Those will actually be exercises for strengthening the muscles around the knees without hurting your knees. 

The doctor describes my bad knees as "trauma-induced arthritis" (sports; gymnastics on a competitive level to be specific), or something like that. I'm 30 and have been on daily NSAIDs for my knees since I was... 15 or 16, I think? He is sending me to an orthopedic surgeon and wants me to consider the possibility of knee replacements (both knees). Fun times. Regardless, that's somewhat off topic (but not by much, lol).

I recently wanted to lose 10-15 lbs. I've lost most of what I wanted to lose, but I'm having an awful time figuring out how to tone up those areas (and they NEED to be toned!) in a way that is "no-impact" for my knees. The doctor said that at this point he's fine recommending squats as a way for me to tone my bottom areas... but I can't physically DO traditional squats :p

I have Hip Hop Abs, and I love it. I'm not allowed to use it, though, without so many modifications that it makes it essentially worthless.

So, I'd like to tone up my thighs, my hip-area, and my bottom. I'd love to tone up my stomach, too, but after 3 c-sections and a complete hysterectomy, I think the area there that needs toned up is of the variety that may only respond to surgery.

Any suggestions?

Callanetics are gentle exercises. The woman who presented them can be annoying but - for me - the exercises worked. I have been doing them for 25 yrs and they have proven to be effective yet gentle. Callan Pinckney offers a few alternatives for various joint issues. If you are interested you ought to be able to get a book or DVD inexpensively since it's nothing new.

Something like yoga or pilates or t-tapp.  And maybe tracy Anderson mat work (absolutely NOT her dance cardio) but she is often on all fours and I don't know if you can do that. But I find her stuff to be great at firming things up and creating nice lines.

There is TONS of free yoga and pilates on youtube.  There are entire channels like 'fitness blender' on youtube that have so, so many free workouts.  There is Classical Stretch. It airs on some PBS channels or you can buy the dvds, but I have seen workouts pop up on youtube if you want to give that a try

For yoga there is youtube and there is also this site:

https://www.doyogawithme.com/

But absolutely you can tone up with those things.

Ttapp is non impact but her dvds are very expensive and I don't think it is any better than a good pilates or yoga class.