Menu

Women's Halloween costumes are so strange

Moxie

Take pretty much anything you can think of, add the word 'sexy' in front of it and you will find a Halloween costume. What woman wants to be Sexy Minnie Mouse, Sexy Banana or Sexy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?? I'll tell you--none of them!! Those costumes exist so boys will see them in catalogs and think "Hey, let's go to the Halloween party! Maybe a Sexy Watermelon will show up!" Let's give Halloween back to the kiddos!

• Like 12

What's even more frustrating is that it's hard to find non-sexy store costumes once you get past a child's large-and some girls are past that before their 10th birthday! I'm just glad my 10 yr old likes dressing as things that it's impossible to find in any costume catalog-so I don't have to worry about saying "no" to "sexy horned lizard" or "sexy cobra"! (and if you find one...I don't think I want to know!).

• Like 7

Last year i was a bit disturbed by the other things sold by the online store where I bought my 4-year's Cinderella shoes.  I remember complaining about it to my work buddy.   His theory is that since women's costumes all seem to have a 'sexy' theme, then the stores carry things like costume whips and you are midway down the slippery slope and gaining speed.  

TBH I think it is essentially an excuse for women to dress up in clothes that would normally be considered inappropriate and wear them in public.

I thought those were called yoga pants??

• Like 6

TBH I think it is essentially an excuse for women to dress up in clothes that would normally be considered inappropriate and wear them in public.

I think you're right. And I quite like it.

It's fun to be sexy in public, just occasionally, when everybody else is doing it too. I'm happy that our culture has some occasions that communicate that there are 'times and places' for a bit of showmanship... show-woman-ship?

What's even more frustrating is that it's hard to find non-sexy store costumes once you get past a child's large-and some girls are past that before their 10th birthday! I'm just glad my 10 yr old likes dressing as things that it's impossible to find in any costume catalog-so I don't have to worry about saying "no" to "sexy horned lizard" or "sexy cobra"! (and if you find one...I don't think I want to know!).

i'm glad I have boys.   

But ... there are no boy costumes in sizes larger than 10-12.

This. My niece is 13 and wears women's sizes- about a size 2 or 4 depending on the brand. She's been more or less the same size since she was 12. There are very few packaged costumes that are vaguely appropriate for her age or the weather. The pressure on girls to be sexy can be pretty difficult to handle.

Oy!!

You are right, you probably don't want to see some of the links that came up when I just had to see if there existed a sexy horned lizard costumeðŸ˜

Uh, especially since I searched on my phone and it corrected to 'sexy horny lizard!'

Ugh.

ETA: I did find a novelty horned lizard helmet though:)