Menu

Well, isn't THIS a lovely aspect of being 47...

Susan Wise Bauer

Ingredients

½ cup Magnesium Chloride Flakes

½ cup distilled water

A glass bowl or glass measuring cup

A glass spray bottle (plastic will work too)

Boil the distilled water. It is important to use distilled to extend the shelf life of the mixture.

Put the Magnesium Chloride Flakes in the glass bowl or measuring cup and the pour the boiling water over it.

Stir well until completely dissolved.

Let cool completely and store in the spray bottle.

Can be stored at room temperature for at least six months.

Spray on arms, legs, and stomach daily.

Use 10-20 sprays per day. It will tingle on the skin the first few times it is used, and this is normal. It should fade after a few applications.

• Like 1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alteril was a huge fail for Dh! Made him dizzy and restless and generally feeling weird. He slept from 11-2 and that was it.

So we know that Ambien, Trazadone and Alteril do NOT work for him. All cause bad side effects and none help him to sleep. Basic melatonin doesn't seem to have much effect. Benadryl does help him go to sleep, but not stay asleep.

Clonazepam does help and he usually gets 4-5 hrs if he takes it, but it is intended for short term use and doesn't solve the problem. He will likely take it tonight and tomorrow so he can feel close to normal and functional. His doc is supposed to call today or tomorrow with a new plan. Dh willl continue to have some acupunture sonce he can do that relatively inexpensively and anything to help with stress is good.

That sounds terrible. I'm sorry he's having such a rough time.

Has he ever had a sleep study?

That sounds terrible. I'm sorry he's having such a rough time.

Has he ever had a sleep study?

We are trying to get him into one. His neurologist referred him yesterday. There is a long wait, but we have a friend who is high enough up in the food chain there to possibly pull some strings to get an earlier appt.

Meanwhile, he did get decent sleep last night, on the clonazepam. He would rather not take it, but at some point, he just needs to sleep.

Last spring (at 47) that hit me as well.  I was painting the ceiling and I just started getting up and reading online, dancing, listening to worship music, praying.  It turned into one of the most insane, fun stretches of my life.  I had some of the most intense times with God I have ever had in my life.  I read Rabbi Ben Ezra by Robert Browning and wept like I never had (that is sooo not like me). I was sort of manic and spent a lot of money I didn't have. Found my lead foot.  Danced and lost weight!  Started working out.  Anyway, I am getting intermittent hot flashes not and am sleeping better, but it looks like this peri-menopause thing is sort of an on-and-off roller coaster.  No advice except that I concluded it can be a lot of fun if you let it and don't let it get out of hand (don't become a tart and run away from home).  Have you listened to Martina McBride's When God Fearing Women Get the Blues?  Perfect.

Watch the video. You're welcome. ;O)

ETA (again):  I forgot.  I listened to this guitarist at like 4 AM every night when I just had to go back to sleep and he just put me out.  Like head-clonking -on-the-desk  out.  Every time.  It was like David and Saul. It was a great relief.  So, after I had my couple hours of poetry and music and whatever I'd listen to him and pass out.  

• Like 4

I had insomnia as a teen.  I used to get angry and restless, but learned to be peaceful and also to sleep directly under the AC in the summer. 

One of my children has this as a teen now.  I did get amber glasses to view screens in the evening.  Lavender oil on the feet, magnesium supplement in the evening as well and right now we are trying L-thyanine too.

BTDT:  The thing that worked best was to actually get out of bed and do something.  I decided I could toss and turn or I could do something productive because I obviously wasn't going to get back to sleep.  I'd empty the dishwasher, dust, sometimes just sit in a chair and read/pray...but I did something active.  It never failed that when I went back to bed, I went back to sleep.  

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/cant-sleep-when-to-get-out-of-bed

Last spring (at 47) that hit me as well. I was painting the ceiling and I just started getting up and reading online, dancing, listening to worship music, praying. It turned into one of the most insane, fun stretches of my life. I had some of the most intense times with God I have ever had in my life. I read Rabbi Ben Ezra by Robert Browning and wept like I never had (that is sooo not like me). I was sort of manic and spent a lot of money I didn't have. Found my lead foot. Danced and lost weight! Started working out. Anyway, I am getting intermittent hot flashes not and am sleeping better, but it looks like this peri-menopause thing is sort of an on-and-off roller coaster. No advice except that I concluded it can be a lot of fun if you let it and don't let it get out of hand (don't become a tart and run away from home). Have you listened to Martina McBride's When God Fearing Women Get the Blues? Perfect.

Watch the video. You're welcome. ;O)

ETA (again): I forgot. I listened to this guitarist at like 4 AM every night when I just had to go back to sleep and he just put me out. Like head-clonking -on-the-desk out. Every time. It was like David and Saul. It was a great relief. So, after I had my couple hours of poetry and music and whatever I'd listen to him and pass out.

I love this post!

"don't become a tart and run away from home"

LOL!!!!!

I have an old recording of flute and lyre music that would do the same as your guitarist, I bet! Off to dig it out, and to look up the lyrics if that song...

• Like 1

BTDT:  The thing that worked best was to actually get out of bed and do something.  I decided I could toss and turn or I could do something productive because I obviously wasn't going to get back to sleep. 

Yes, this. I had always been a good sleeper until perimenopause hit. Regular exercise helped with many of the other symptoms at that time (including hot flashes) but oddly enough had no effect on the insomnia. I would usually try to give myself about half an hour to get back to sleep. If I was still awake, I'd just get up. The more I stayed in bed and tried to force sleep, the harder it was to sleep.

If it's any consolation, this too shall pass. Unfortunately it can last for years, but once you come out on the other side your sleep pattern should (fingers crossed) go back to normal. Mine did, and in talking with friends they had the same experience.

• Like 1

Hi Susan,

I just made an "unpopular opinion" post here that may or may not be relevant to your situation. I have neither the time nor desire for online debating, I just wanted to draw your attention to some information that you might not be aware of and let you decide for yourself whether it might be helpful.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

• 11 months later...

...The thing where you wake up at 2:30 AM and don't. go. back. to. sleep.

This is driving me batty. I've always been an unconscious-when-head-hits-pillow sleeper, never used to wake up before 6 AM or so. And now...not.

Come on, Hive, I know SOME of you have lived through this. What did you do? I'm thinking maybe I should just give up and get up and work (or moderate the forums), but I'm really not loving that as a long term solution. Hot milk? Boring book? Warm bath? Ambien? Single-malt scotch??

SWB

check your adrenal function (which goes down with age.)  apparently, it's pretty typical . . . :glare:

you can read more on stopthethyroidmadness.com.  the best way to check it is the 24 hour cortisol test.  you get to spit in a test tube 4 times . . . .

That,s about when I started doing this.

Audiobooks are a life saver. I usually listen to Jane Austen. Terry Pratchett makes me giggle, which is not the effect I want.

I make sure I drink enough water during the day.

A brisk walk before bed instead of screen time helps a lot. I walk off the stress. There is a side effect - I can eat more cookies without gaining weight. It has to be right before bed, to work.

I drink a cup of real cocoa before bed every night. I mix a heaping teaspoon of good cocoa powder with a bit of boiling water into a paste, then add milk. You can add sugar to the paste if you like it sweet. I actually like it unsweet. I think the magnesium and milk help with sleep.

I need the room cold and some air moving past my face to stay asleep.

Other bodies, furred and unfurred, to cuddle up to help. : )

So (ideally) I walk, then make cocoa, then drink it reading my book in bed, then put on an audiobook and cuddle down to go to sleep with other sleepy beings.

Not napping does not seem to help. Happily.

My husband says excersize, more excersize, that this is the age when all hell breaks loose, and that this is the age when you set your lifestyle for the next twenty years.

Our lives started getting very complicated at that age, between older children and older parents.

Hugs

Nan

Since this thread has come back up, I'll say that using the blue light blocker setting on my smartphone from 9pm through 7am seems to have helped. I have young adult college kids who love to text me at midnight, and I don't want to discourage that, but with the new setting I find I can more easily fall back into sound sleep.

I have also been serving dinner earlier for other reasons, and I believe that being hydrated, exercised and not eating too late have helped tremendously.

That,s about when I started doing this.

Audiobooks are a life saver. I usually listen to Jane Austen. Terry Pratchett makes me giggle, which is not the effect I want.

I make sure I drink enough water during the day.

A brisk walk before bed instead of screen time helps a lot. I walk off the stress. There is a side effect - I can eat more cookies without gaining weight. It has to be right before bed, to work.

I drink a cup of real cocoa before bed every night. I mix a heaping teaspoon of good cocoa powder with a bit of boiling water into a paste, then add milk. You can add sugar to the paste if you like it sweet. I actually like it unsweet. I think the magnesium and milk help with sleep.

I need the room cold and some air moving past my face to stay asleep.

Other bodies, furred and unfurred, to cuddle up to help. : )

So (ideally) I walk, then make cocoa, then drink it reading my book in bed, then put on an audiobook and cuddle down to go to sleep with other sleepy beings.

Not napping does not seem to help. Happily.

My husband says excersize, more excersize, that this is the age when all hell breaks loose, and that this is the age when you set your lifestyle for the next twenty years.

Our lives started getting very complicated at that age, between older children and older parents.

Hugs

Nan

Nan, as always you share such wisdom. I am experiencing this "age where all hell breaks loose" and am facing demands I didn't anticipate. I have been slapped upside the head with the realization that proper self-care is vital to keeping this ship afloat, and for preserving the level of activity I hope to have when grandkids finally arrive and I want to do active things with them.

I also agree about the audiobooks, I fall asleep to some book or podcast or radio program regularly these days. Music without lyrics is also a good choice for me.