Menu

Doctor office vent

Loowit

This is a (long) JAWM vent.  I have had a rough week and don't need a debate or getting told I overreacted.

DS has been seeing the same Allergist/Asthma doctor since he was an infant.  They have a great relationship and have been through a lot together.  He loves her, but she is leaving her practice.  The office she is with also decided to combine with another allergy/asthma clinic and moved to a new building.  DS has problems with changes so it took me a good week of explaining why he was seeing a new doctor today and that it would be okay.  The new office had some of the same decoration (paintings, furniture) so that was a help for his adjustment.

When we got there I just had a bad feeling off the bat.  It was an all new office staff, not only had I never met them, but they were all new to the job from what I overheard.  There where two other families in the waiting room when I arrived.  One was there for an allergy shot and the other was a regular appointment from what I could tell.  When we had been there about 15 minutes I heard the mom of the appointment kid ask how much longer it would be, not a good sign.  It took them another 10 minutes to get that kid back.  Allergy shot kid was taken care of and sent home.  DS and I continued to wait.  When it was half an hour past his appointment time I was about to ask how much longer when they came and took us back.  It was a student nurse, no big deal to me and she was good working with DS.  She did his spirometry and took his vitals and put us in a room to wait.  She told us a nurse would be right with us.  Twenty minutes later a nurse showed up and took his history, med list, and so on and told us that she would let us know if the doctor was going to be running late, then left us there.

We waited and waited.  When it got to be 90 minutes past his scheduled appointment I was fed up and left.  I told the nurse on the way out we couldn't wait any longer.  She halfheartedly apologized.  I was furious at the wait.  The thing that really got to me was that no other patients checked in in the time we were waiting, and no one was leaving.  It was just dead.  The only other person I saw arrive, and the office staff spent a lot of time schmoozing with, was a drug rep.  We had a clear view of the front of the office/waiting room from our exam room since it was a glass window without any privacy.

This office is almost an hour drive one way and we made the drive the last few years (doctor used to come to our town once a week for appointments, but stopped).  It is a big chunk of our day to put in.  We did at least get a nice lunch out with DH that almost didn't happened due to his afternoon meetings for work.

DH thinks that I should send them a bill for my time.  Not sure that would work, I don't make money as a stay at home mom, even though I know that my time is worth something. But my biggest concern is that now I am left with not knowing what to do for a new doctor for DS.  This clinic is the one he is working with for his allergy shots that he is halfway through.  Not sure how I would pick up with a new doctor.  My brother recommended a local doctor that he goes to and really likes, and assuming he takes DS's insurance it might be an option.  For now I have an appointment with his primary care doctor in two week to discuss options.

This has just been a very rough week for me and it is not looking better toward the end of the week.  DS has another doctor appointment tomorrow for a different issue and his allergy shot, and Monday was an all day appointment at the Autism clinic for an evaluation.  On top of all this we found out that other DS's labs that I was fully expecting to be nothing turned out to likely be something for a rare, but hopefully not too serious, genetic condition.  And DD leaves for a 8 day horse trek on Saturday, and she is have mini-panic attacks about going. 

You didn't over-react at all.  I used to  think waits didn't bother me until the last one was more than 2 hours past the appt time.  We waited and saw the doctor, but it took all of 5 - maybe 10 - minutes to say all was well and cost a bit ($300+).  We should have left.  We actually did leave before they got around to getting me next year's appt (after waiting an additional 20 minutes with no one showing up).  I'm still undecided if I'm even going to bother going next year.  Right now it's very doubtful to be honest.

But in your situation, things need to continue so I'll send along best wishes that your primary care doctor will have decent options.   :grouphug:

• Like 1

I don't think you overreacted at all.  If they had been really busy and overwhelmed trying to combine the patients from the two offices, I could understand being a little late.  Things happen and I'd rather have to wait than be the one experiencing an emergency.  However, you said there were no other people.  That long a wait in an almost empty office isn't acceptable.  

I'd call and speak to the office manager.  

• Like 1

I once had a doctor, in pregnancy, who was a routine two hour wait. For complicated reasons, changing doctors wasn't an option. I tried just showing up later, but when I didn't arrive at my appointment time they cancelled my appointment altogether. So they fully expected me to show up every two weeks near the end, and sit in a waiting room for at least two hours instead of delaying arrival or just plain scheduling their consistently-late appointments better!

Good luck

I wonder if the doctor was even there.  I ran into two different occasions where I waited over two hours and it turns out the doctor had to step out in both instances.  Instead of rescheduling me, they just kept quiet and let me sit forever.  I walked out on one appointment but sat waiting for the other (I should have walked out on that one, too).  I also have a friend who is a P.A.  She admitted to me once that because of an issue with her child she ended up coming in to work over 5 hours late.  Instead of rescheduling her patient appointments that morning, they processed everyone in and just had them sit...for hours...and never once said that she wasn't even there yet.  The front office just kept stalling them.  Stupid.

Hugs OP.  Hope you find a better situation.  I do think you should write a letter.  Something in writing will usually have more clout.

• Like 1

I also have a friend who is a P.A.  She admitted to me once that because of an issue with her child she ended up coming in to work over 5 hours late.  Instead of rescheduling her patient appointments that morning, they processed everyone in and just had them sit...for hours...and never once said that she wasn't even there yet.  The front office just kept stalling them.  Stupid.

Ok, this is just... wrong.  I have more words coming to mind, but it's best if I don't use them.

I imagine all those who waited got rushed through when they actually got seen too - sort of like my experience, but my wait was only 2 hours and 15 minutes.

This is making me think I need to set a waiting limit of about an hour before I leave.  The mere thought that it could stretch out to 5 hours... Who allows time for that?

• Like 3

This has totally happened to me and at the allergist also.  My son and I had concurrent appts with the doctor. We waited 30 min to go back, saw the nurse for maybe five minutes, then waited 30 minutes, saw nurse again, and then about an hour later finally saw the doctor for five minutes.  Then we had to wait for the nurse again--about 30 minutes.  I poked my head out a couple times and asked when we would see the doctor. I have not been back since then. I think all told we were there over two hours. I get it that they occasionally have emergencies with it being an allergy doctor and all, but I think I deserved to know what all the delays were about. Bravo to you for leaving!!

Thanks all.  I am feeling better about it today.  However, I figured out this morning when I went to order prescription refills that he is out of refills on two of his meds.  I am hoping they will give him at least one refill without seeing him.  That would tide us over until I can get him to a new doctor.