Menu

Since I'm on a kick: What crafty/design/home projects are you working on?

Jenny in Florida

We moved into the new rental house at the beginning of June and have been combining regular unpacking and settling in with doing some decorating/design projects. Because we're renting, these projects do not extend to actually renovating the house in any way. But being in the mindset has sent me off onto a kick of watching assorted home improvement and renovation shows on HGTV and DIY Network and such. I seem to have a pretty much unlimited appetite for this topic, and so I figured I'd ask here to see what other folks are doing?

The most significant project I've done so far is recovering the cushions on our dining room chairs. The table and chairs actually came to us from my in-laws, who bought the set a good 25 years before we inherited them. The cushions were originally gold, made of some kind of velour or crushed velvet. They were looking very dated and had lost most of their squishiness. We initially planned to replace the chairs when we moved, but we couldn't find anything we liked (even on sale) for less than $100 per chair and would still have needed to buy cushions in addition (total of $700+). So, I hit JoAnn fabric with a good coupon and brought home some upholstery fabric and some new foam. For $300, we added two inches of fresh foam on top of the existing old stuff and put on the new fabric, and the chairs are now significantly more attractive and much more comfortable. I'm a little bit proud of them, actually.

I also salvaged my desk, which was not expensive or high quality to begin with. I think I paid about $150 at Office Max five or six years ago. The paper-thin veneer had peeled off much of the top and the drawer on the front. My husband tried to talk me into buying a new desk when I saw one I really liked at World Market, but we were already spending more than I've ever spent at once on furniture for the living room. Plus, I like my desk. I had already decided that I would be putting the Ikea coffee table we were in the process of replacing in my office. The table is grey. So, I opted to paint just the top of the desk and the drawer front to match the table, leaving the rest in its existing light-"wood" finish. I had the folks at the local hardware store match the color of the desk and spent $20 on paint. I also replaced the boring brass-toned handle on the drawer with a pretty pewter-toned, deco-style drawer pull I found on Etsy for $8. All told, I spent about $30 and kept the desk I already liked instead of buying $300 to replace it.

I bought a very simple, plain black, loveseat-sized futon on sale at Target to put in my office, which I wanted to dress up with some cute throw pillows. I found some I loved at Pier One, but was not willing to pay $20 a pillow. So, JoAnn coupon in hand again, I found some similar fabric, pulled the stuffing out of an old bed pillow and sewed my own. 

The most recent project was printing, matting and framing some vintage advertising posters from this site: freevintageposters.com I bought frames from Old Time Pottery. We chose a couple of the old patent medicine ads for the master bathroom and a few of the hot air balloon posters for the second bath. Old Time Pottery had basic white mats in the appropriate size for .79, but nothing in the color I wanted. I decided to try painting the mats, myself, and pulled out some dollar store watercolor kits I had bought for a homeschool group project a few years ago. Because I was going for a vintage vibe, I didn't worry about making the color coverage perfect and smooth, allowing for variation and brush strokes. They turned out really cute! I think, not counting the cost of the ink to print them, that I framed all six pieces for under $15.

So, what have you all been up to? Anything fun? Any great bargain finds that you're eager to brag about?

• Like 6

I'm trying to figure out a better way to hang wall maps that doesn't involve framing them because I want to still be able to roll them up and transport them easily.  I'm thinking of gluing dowels onto the top and bottom and then attaching a string so I can hook them on a nail easily. 

• Like 2

An oversized queen size quilt for our bed and a throw quilt for our couch. When those are done, a new autumn themed taclecloth and three small quilts which are going to Africa with us as gifts.

I am also working on collecting supplies for three crafting projects at a community center while we are there. The ladies who attend will have finished projects they can sell in the market to help them feed their children. I am trying to drum up support from local women's groups to help fund supplies for significant period until the ladies can get their business self supporting.

So lots of sewing and crafting in my future.

• Like 1

I recently moved around some bookcases and am making the former classroom into a library. It also has a heavy bag in it (only room in the house where it works), so it's kind of a library/workout room. I need a small comfy chair, which I'll probably try to find second hand. I have a blue/ green color scheme happening in there. 

In my bedroom I bought a new desk from IKEA. It's the long LINNMON table in white. I also bought my first BILLY bookcase. It's the narrow 16" one. They're all in white. 

I'm also trying to figure out how to do the storage in my laundry/mudroom. I put together a design last night to build a simple bench to house the shoes, tools, and recycling that go back there. 

I'm trying to settle on furniture arrangement in all of my rooms and focus on making the furniture match the space. I'm in a small bungalow with limited wall space, lots of nice windows make up for that. 

I'm also on a kick to make sure all of my furniture can be moved by two people- mainly me and ds. The only exception is my dining table that was a hand me down from my parents. I may live here a few more years (unless the perfect opportunity to move presents itself). After that I'll probably move closer to town for a job or school. 

• Like 1

I recently moved around some bookcases and am making the former classroom into a library. It also has a heavy bag in it (only room in the house where it works), so it's kind of a library/workout room. I need a small comfy chair, which I'll probably try to find second hand. I have a blue/ green color scheme happening in there. 

The above is kind of funny: We devoted one of the bedrooms here to a "library," too, primarily because my husband wasn't excited about putting our assortment of cheap, assemble-them-ourselves bookcases from Target and Office Max in the living next to the nice, new furniture we just bought. That room also houses the exercise bike we bought for him three years ago that he has rarely used because it was in such an inconvenient place in the old house. And I just said the other day that we need a comfy chair in there. 

The room doesn't have a "color scheme" as yet, but my husband is into the idea of hanging in there a bunch of old sci-fi and horror movie posters from the site I linked earlier. We have a couple of framed posters already that would make sense to hang in there if we do go with the old-movie theme. So, I will probably try to stick with funky, red accessories to match those.

• Like 1

not exactly crafty or design oriented...but trying to decide between getting a fence or our new dog or re-doing the kitchen.  I was going to put off the kitchen re-do for another year or so, but our double wall oven gave up the ghost last month.   Those suckers are $2K new!!  Of course, the builders put in the smallest size double oven available, and they're hard to find used too.   In addition, our cabinets are in pretty bad shape and we hope to move within the next 2-4yrs anyway.  I don't think the house will sell with them in.

I'm trying to figure out a better way to hang wall maps that doesn't involve framing them because I want to still be able to roll them up and transport them easily.  I'm thinking of gluing dowels onto the top and bottom and then attaching a string so I can hook them on a nail easily. 

That sounds like a great solution.

• Like 1

Well, it has nothing to do with home design, except that I have to figure out where in my home to put it.  But it is crafty.  I just finished this yesterday:

IMG_6808.JPG

The colors (which are actually lighter than the picture shows - what looks orange in the picture is actually pink) don't really go with the rest of the house, except maybe the kids' playroom.  So that may be where this ends up once I get it framed, lol!

• Like 6

Well, it has nothing to do with home design, except that I have to figure out where in my home to put it.  But it is crafty.  I just finished this yesterday:

IMG_6808.JPG

The colors (which are actually lighter than the picture shows - what looks orange in the picture is actually pink) don't really go with the rest of the house, except maybe the kids' playroom.  So that may be where this ends up once I get it framed, lol!

Gorgeous!

IMG_6808.JPG

oh it's beautiful!! I love quilling.

I use adhesive-backed Velcro.  There is some that is meant to be used on walls. 

• Like 1

I've been redoing our "school room". Got rid of the desks, took down all the elementary stuff and projects we made, sniff, and reorganizing .....dh put up a huge fake whiteboard and so far has framed two sides. I got online an inexpensive, much smaller than I expected table and two chairs. Then my neighbor gave me their old huge chalkboard I had been coveting, that I now have no idea what to do with. Also moved ds computer into the living room......or is it family room? I always get them mixed up.

We've been doing more home improvement / repair this summer. I stripped and restained our dining room table, stained a bathroom vanity, painted a number of rooms, repainted the baseboards (ugh!), and am currently sanding and refinishing another bathroom vanity. This bathroom is going to be little odd in that it has a butcher block countertop. It hasn't been too hard so far. In any case, I'm getting a little bored with the painting and staining gig, so I'm planning a quilt. Of course I need to whip the quilt out in two days to get it to the quilter's house on time for Christmas gifting. I make bad choices...

We moved into our current house in late January and I had done nothing with my kids' rooms. Nothing on the walls, etc. All of my decor focus had been downstairs where I actually spend time. LOL So while they were at day camp a couple of weeks ago I pulled off surprise HGTV-ish room re-dos. It was SO fun!!

I'll edit with links to pics tomorrow. I can't figure out an easy way to do that on my phone.

Pics! 

DD7's room: 

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11694881_10206983289364450_8211645182014549202_n.jpg?oh=65090350b4c8e50678701ee72e6bf93a&oe=563AE3C2

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/10502295_10206983289524454_8873234842879683402_n.jpg?oh=ec2522d08e2365f651ab98da72ea9916&oe=5656E544

We have an antique white rocking chair that is having its seat reupholstered that will go in the corner under her hanging light. The spare school room chair is just a place holder. ;)

DS7's room: 

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11700934_10206985749665956_5182201366435370313_n.jpg?oh=0d3c86141251ff80f9f5199094fcaa74&oe=564D4FDF

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11745512_10206985749985964_3507299454274319013_n.jpg?oh=41f168ad9b3921a72a6d8417cbe11c91&oe=5638BE48

I had some issues constructing his robot. The red pencil cups sitting on top of his head were supposed to be ears. They're much cuter when held up to the sides of his head instead. But the magnets I had glued to them weren't strong enough to hold them there. So I need to try another method of attachment.  I think I'll have DH drill a small hole on the side of each and cable tie them on. 

DS8's room: 

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10981202_10206985416697632_7881731811295258005_n.jpg?oh=47168e280267897f4750e020d5787da0&oe=5643689B

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11781761_10206985416417625_4560740743073641522_n.jpg?oh=83ef49d05b0f9f11b7d571f19b00e805&oe=5648CFEA

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11745504_10206985416377624_3352385618806681858_n.jpg?oh=fe1c6abce13b94015cc511886ed54490&oe=5635718B

He's my busy one, can you tell? ;)

• Like 4

We moved into our current house in late January and I had done nothing with my kids' rooms. Nothing on the walls, etc. All of my decor focus had been downstairs where I actually spend time. LOL So while they were at day camp a couple of weeks ago I pulled off surprise HGTV-ish room re-dos. It was SO fun!!

I'll edit with links to pics tomorrow. I can't figure out an easy way to do that on my phone.

Yes, pictures, please!

I'm not doing anything in my house, but I recently repurposed this old entertainment center into a kitchen for my granddaughter. I'm very happy with how it turned out. She likes it, too!

Before: http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/KIMINID/media/image.jpg1_zpsygqudtbq.jpg.html?o=0

After: http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/KIMINID/media/image.jpg1_zpsqnuazsnz.jpg.html?o=1

• Like 4

I'm not doing anything in my house, but I recently repurposed this old entertainment center into a kitchen for my granddaughter. I'm very happy with how it turned out. She likes it, too!

Before: http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/KIMINID/media/image.jpg1_zpsygqudtbq.jpg.html?o=0

After: http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/KIMINID/media/image.jpg1_zpsqnuazsnz.jpg.html?o=1

I love DIY play kitchens! Well done!

• Like 1

I'm working on a sashiko table runner for my Mum - I was hoping to have it done for her b'day in September, but it looks more like Christmas.

Now you did it.  I just ordered a coaster kit.

I have always been looking for something to keep my hands busy, but the problem is I don't like the look of most things like crocheted items, cross stitch, etc.  So I can make something but then I just feel like throwing it away and it is not something I would ever keep in my house.  I really like the look of these designs though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! 

I'm starting with the coasters to learn and to see if I like it, but this runner looks so cute! 

http://aspoonfulofsugardesigns.com/2011/06/sashiko-table-runner/

• Like 1

Goodness!  Great ideas and execution!!!

We added "ship lap" to one wall of DD8's room.  I still need to paint it a dark gray.  We will then be adding a ballet barre, practice floor, mirror(s), etc.  I need to get on that this week.    :glare:

DD10 was the ship lap on her wall as well.  To mix things up, we will paint each board in a different, coordinating shade of purple/violet (probably 5 different shades).

• Like 1