Menu

Keen sandals stink

Plink

Really, they smell just awful!  My only guess is that the rubber insole doesn't breathe enough because this is the only pair of shoes I've ever had trouble with.

Anyone know of a solution other than buying new sandals to replace perfectly good (expensive) shoes?

They can be washed in the washer as long as you don't have the leather ones. Do that often, and also wash your feet with vinegar and put baking soda on the shoe soles overnight. 

Yes, they stink. There are no two ways about it. But I think they're worth it anyway.  :)

• Like 3

My flip flops smelled terrible. I've never had that problem with shoes before. Anyway I read that putting them in the freezer would help. I tried it overnight and it seemed to work. I don't know if the smell will come back since it's just been one day since I did it.

It really upset my DH when he spent good $ on a pair of Keens, only to find out how much they stink...he couldn't bear it.  His hunter-friends (who hike for miles at the time, and whose boots tend to REEK)  told him about a moisture wicking toe type sock that controls the moisture, therefore cutting the stench.  He's not here for me to ask, but they are low socks that are barely, or not at all visible above the shoe.  he says you don't feel the toe part of it and it even makes the shoe more comfy too.  Since using them, his back to being real happy with his Keens.

I am disappointed by the stink too. I asked before my purchase if they would stink and was told no. The shoes "say" they have an anti-stink coating or something like that, but it doesn't help. Dd's feet are dirty when she wears her Keens. They are comfortable shoes, but I don't think I will buy them again because of this. Our other shoes don't have this problem.

I tried washing my dd's and the stink always came back. Seriously, a 3 year old had the stinkiest feet/shoes in the whole family! I switched her to TeVA and problem was solved.

This is us, except it was the 18-month-old! 

Frequent washing did the trick for us. Alternating days (so that the shoes could dry out after use) worked, too.

I tend toward foot odor in general. Any shoe that I wear for an extended period without socks end up very icky. I think foot odor is genetic. 

This is us, except it was the 18-month-old!

Frequent washing did the trick for us. Alternating days (so that the shoes could dry out after use) worked, too.

I tend toward foot odor in general. Any shoe that I wear for an extended period without socks end up very icky. I think foot odor is genetic.

This is true in my family. My DH, his mother, and both my kids have the sweatiest feet! My kids couldn't wear footed pajamas without wigging out. Even as babies, synthetic shoes were not an option. They all get positively hateful when their feet are hot. I've cut the feet off many pjs. I throw my son's sandals away at the end of the season. You don't want to be in the zip code if he wears crocks.

• 7 years later...

I have 4 pair of keen sandals that I wear every day. I am frequently in the water. Only one pair of my sandals stink. It is the newest pair. I’ve tried almost every remedy. Nada. Wondering if the leather is the culprit.