Menu

Favorite Early Readers?

Not sure what you consider early, so I'm going to err on the side of very early. DD enjoyed many of the ones listed above, but these as well.

Fly Guy

Brownie & Pearl

Cat the Cat

Little Lizard (and others by Melinda Melton Crow)

Gossie and friends books

There are several by Molly Coxe.

Holiday House's "I Like to Read" line is excellent. They read like actual picture books, which is what they are.

Here are the books DD read when she first started reading. They start out easy and then get progressively more difficult, give or take a couple here and there.

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/2013/06/lets-read-2012-13.html - Easiest.

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/p/lets-read.html - More like Henry and Mudge.

I really love the vintage I Can Read Science books from the 1960s and 70s like Seeds and More Seeds, Terry and the Caterpillar, etc.  The quality just seems so much higher than ones today - long, informational, but very simple text.  

Have to second this!  My son LOVES these books!  They are great, a few others to add to the I Can Read Science Books are:  Greg's Microscope, Daniel's Duck, Plenty of Fish, (There is one on Forests) they are about level 3 though.  

I love the Little Jewel Books from Rod and Staff too but they might be more level 3 too, along with Nate the Great books.  

Can't remember what we used after Bob Books (however, they were the best!)  After that I second Little Bear and Dr. Seuss books and Mr Putter and Tabby were favorites here.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks! Yes, I was asking about very early readers. Single sentence-ish with repetitive words.

We are having luck with a lot of freebies from around the internet.

Progressive Phonics | I See Sam | Hubbards Cupboard | Free Phonetic Readers | Readers by Teachers

I find that graded readers are working very, very well around here. We supplement with books from the library but the regular reading practice comes from a series of graded, decodable readers from Open Court Publishing and Reading A-Z (which has a bunch of printable books)

If you really don't want to print then you can buy a book of Decodables in black/white or in full color from publishers such as Harcourt or Open Court. We have Open Court Readings Full Color Decodables for K and 1st grade. By the end of 1st grade all of the main phonics have been introduced and practiced so that kids are comfortably reading multi-word sentences full of words like "afraid" "innkeeper" "silly" "thought" "caramel" "island", "window" etc--most of these words can be decoded by the child--especially if the decodables are used as practice/reinforcement to a thorough treatment of phonics. Because of that, we probably won't buy the 2nd and 3rd grade Decodables--which seem to contain faster, more sophisticated reviews of Phonics.

We got the the Open Court Reading 2000 edition offline for really cheap but you can still buy new books from both 2002 and 2005 editions direct from the publisher--about 15-20 dollars per set of 30-50 stories so its a good deal and you don't have to print out anything--just cut out, fold and staple the books. Buying new directly from the publisher you don't run the risk of getting books with pages missing or damaged.

• Like 1

Our kids' first read-alone books were Elephant and Piggie, too.  We followed those with some Fly Guy and Huggly, some Clifford and Little Critter.  My kids didn't love the Dick and Jane or Biscuit series, but some kids really enjoy them, and they definitely hit the spot with the repetition.  Usborne makes some phonics readers that weren't horrible, so we sprinkled some of those in, as well.

My absolute favorite for very early readers are the I See Sam readers.  You can get the 1st 2 sets free to print off.  www.iseesam.com or www.3rsplus.com have the higher sets to buy.  It can be used as a stand alone reading program as well, or just fun readers.

My oldest liked the first set of Mac and Tab readers from Primary Phonics. We also used the workbooks that go along with the readers when she needed more practice to really solidify blending because she got to a point where she was bored with CVC words, but didn't have a lot of flunency yet. We mostly use Phonics Pathways to teach and Primary Phonics for review as needed, but she loves them and we heard about them from an adult friend who was homeschooled and still remembers them fondly. The progressions are different, but we have been able to work around that pretty well and she can read most of the "I Can Read" books at the "My First" level that our library has. I've also been using the Scholastic Book Wizard to find stuff at her reading level that she might like. I found "Silly Sally" by Audery Wood which DD loves.

One set I don't see mentioned here is Dav Pilkey's Dragon books. We LOVED these with a passion. :) So sweet and funny and fun to read, I just wish there were more of them. (There are other dragon books in the series, with claymation figures, which are okay. But none are as good as the 5 written by Pilkey.)

• Like 1

Drat! How did we not know about these? They look cute.

One set I don't see mentioned here is Dav Pilkey's Dragon books. We LOVED these with a passion. :) So sweet and funny and fun to read, I just wish there were more of them. (There are other dragon books in the series, with claymation figures, which are okay. But none are as good as the 5 written by Pilkey.)