Menu

Favorite schmancy kitchen gadgets and utensils?

Slache

We really like our immersion blender... ours was ~$20 and is great for pureeing soup and making Mayo.

When we baked... our Kitchenaide was great for mixing recipes and kneading dough. We even have the ice cream kit which we use for making sorbets. It is a lot less useful now that we are gluten free but was an expensive but worthwhile tool.

• Like 3

Nothing fancy here. Things I couldn't do without, most of which are available inexpensively at a restaurant supply store are:

stainless steel bowls

whisks

immersion blender

chinois

ramequins

silpat

half sheet trays

KitchenAid

lemon squeezer (for limes I usually use the Mexican variety)

and more expensive and I could do without but it makes my life easier is a good mandoline.  I guess the KitchenAid would go into that category as well, but I think one is pretty much indispensable in a kitchen. As is a food processor. And good knives (which are not necessarily expensive).

eta  and a microplane. How could I forget my microplane?!

Nothing fancy here. Things I couldn't do without, most of which are available inexpensively at a restaurant supply store are:

stainless steel bowls

whisks

immersion blender

chinois

ramequins

silpat

half sheet trays

KitchenAid

lemon squeezer (for limes I usually use the Mexican variety)

and more expensive and I could do without but it makes my life easier is a good mandoline. I guess the KitchenAid would go into that category as well, but I think one is pretty much indispensable in a kitchen. As is a food processor. And good knives (which are not necessarily expensive).

Oooh. I need to Google those when I get back on the computer.

I bought this bamboo pot scraper to replace my chewed up nylon pot scraper.

You can pretty much take anything else from my kitchen and I would neither notice, nor care.  But move my scraper an inch to the left - or worse, let it linger in the sink where it may meet ugly demise in the disposal - then you'll be meetin' my hairy eyeball pretty durn quick.

Santa brings new scrapers every year - to everyone in my house! :hurray:

• Like 2

Not an appliance but I love the magnetic strip by IKEA for knives. I like the RADA knives by Lehman's. I appreciate the bodum coffee press - you can take it to hotel rooms and brew your own excellent coffee.

Fave appliance: Toaster Oven big enough for a 9 x 13 pan and a whole chicken.

Spiral pineapple slicer thing.  I have a cheap plastic one that is still going strong, but after it dies I will get this one. I love pineapple in the summer!  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WTGR90/

This!  I'm not a gadget person but this really works great. Someone indicated to me once, "Just use a good knife!" but really, this does the job better in less than half the time. We never used to buy/eat fresh pineapple but now we do because this makes it so easy. 

I didn't know if I'd like the mango pitter as much and didn't want to spend the $12+ to see, but then found one in a thrift store for $1 and purchased it.  I like it, too!  It's maybe not quite as ooh-ahh as the pineapple thing, but close. 

In general I don't have a lot of room for specialized gadgets--but that pineapple slicer looks cool and we actually eat a fair amount of pineapple! Put it on my wish list. Things I use a lot and love:

Kitchenaid mixer

Pampered Chef mixer bowl with the handle and lid

Pampered Chef garlic press

Digital meat thermometer--this has made me a better cook. No more dry, overcooked meat.

I love my cookie scoops.  I also have a 1/2 cup version which is great for muffins and cupcakes.

I love my immersion blender too.  Mine is a Cuisinart that was $30.  

I love my kitchen shears (Kitchen Aid brand, I think). I use them for everything!  Especially good for spatchcocking a chicken and snipping herbs.

I have this weird egg timer thinghttp://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Egg-Rite-Timer/dp/B00004UE75/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434418495&sr=8-1&keywords=norpro+egg+timer that you put in the water when you boil eggs.  I love it as it makes perfect soft boiled eggs every time.