Menu

Whoops. I screwed up.

Ginevra

And I hate that I screwed up in re: this particular person.

I have gotten emails a couple of times over the past month or two from some lady named "Donna" (don't have any close friends or family members named that) with the title "Rachel's Brunch." And the attachment clip indicated. You also need to know that I have a serious email management problem and get far too many junk e-mails, charity pleas, activity/event things I have no plans to attend and so on. So, not knowing who Donna was, nor what Rachel's Brunch was supposed to be, I assumed it was a charity benefit thing and deleted it unread.

But I found out today that "Donna" is my SIL's future DIL's mother and "Rachel's Brunch" is some sort of Bridal shower type thing. I can't retrieve it from my trash, either; it was back farther than current trash. So I had to email SIL what I did and could she please forward an email to me so I can properly RSVP. Darn. Already so annoying to deal with this SIL.

Oh, that doesn't sound so bad.  :)  They should not have just communicated by email with people they don't interact with often.  Any such email is likely to go into "junk" and be missed.  So it is their fault that they didn't contact you more directly.

At least you found out in time to fix the problem.

• Like 13

Focus on the positive side that you seen to have figured this out before not showing up at this "Rachel's" brunch!

Assuming it doesn't turn it to be an elaborate version if the "Rachel at card services" scam.

I hope the rsvp didn't ask you to bring a dish!

• Like 2

That's not so awful. I also feel that it's partially their fault. And I hate the fad of e-vites. I need a paper I can tack to the fridge. Too many emails get sent to my spam box.

BTW, I made a vow to start attacking my junk email by either unsubscribing or labeling unwanted messages as spam, and it made a huge difference over the course of just a week or two,.

• Like 3

Gone are the days when we get invitations in the mail, I guess, and have some reference points by which to figure out who is who and what events are important. Certainly makes life tougher.

I think you did great by figuring it out BEFORE the actual event, unless you didn't want to go in the first place. Then you just messed up twice! ;)

This could happen to anyone especially given the amount of junk/scams that come through email.  Luckily you caught it before the event and made good by asking for it to be resent.  I would think nothing of this if a guest asked me for the details again.  Even mailed invitations get lost sometimes.  It's a bit expected that there will be a few snafu's when hosting a party.

• Like 1

That is how I handle all email from names I don't recognize or if there isn't a clear purpose stated in the subject line.  That is also why I'm very careful to fill in the subject line so the receiver knows what the email is about.  I would put something like "Rachel lastname bridal shower".  Rachel's Brunch could be any charity or scam.

Obviously, I don't think you did anything wrong.  :001_smile:

• Like 2

very easy to do...esp. since this is a more distant soon-to-be relative. 

But, it is one reason I have 2 emails... one for known junk (charities, most online shopping, etc. etc.) and then my personal email.  It really does help me separate some of the wheat from the chaff. 

• Like 1

All I could think of was Rachel from Card Services. There's nothing wrong with your account right now...

Bummer that you had to rely on SIL though. So...are you going?

No, I am already attending a party that day. My friend's 40th.

I am happy it was discovered before the event, because then I would look like even more of a boob, but it's no credit to me. SIL sent me a note that Donna had not recieved an RSVP from me. So maybe it's kinda good that she's always in people's business, cause I'm guessing she asked Donna who had RSVP'd and that's how it was revealed.

• Like 1

That's not so awful. I also feel that it's partially their fault. And I hate the fad of e-vites. I need a paper I can tack to the fridge. Too many emails get sent to my spam box.

BTW, I made a vow to start attacking my junk email by either unsubscribing or labeling unwanted messages as spam, and it made a huge difference over the course of just a week or two,.

Me, too. I don't do them at all, though I think they make sense when in addition to a paper invitation.

I did do the major e-mail overhaul a few times in the past year or two, because DD got a thousand e-mails a week from colleges we've never heard of when she took the SAT (my email was the registered one. Now I know what not to do when DS starts taking tests for college.) There are things I have kept because I do actually want them...sometimes. I am on and DailyGood, Karma Tube, for example, because I do find them inspiring, when I do read a few. Also Trash is for Tossers, Plastic Manners, Project 333 and some company with a big name that is against GMO foods. I am an info addict. The promise of having posts and articles that I find worthwhile coming to my inbox is a draw I find irresistable!

My dh set up separate folders for me: all email from my sister goes in one folder, library notices, sports, everything else. It makes it easier to see if something important has come in.

Yeah. I have folders. Something like 52 folders, actually. I still have to sort things. Or - wait! Are you saying the emails come in and go directly to the folder? Like I could sign something up as me@yahoo.com/Inspiring, and then everything would come directly into that folder? Because that would be cool.

Yeah. I have folders. Something like 52 folders, actually. I still have to sort things. Or - wait! Are you saying the emails come in and go directly to the folder? Like I could sign something up as [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>/Inspiring, and then everything would come directly into that folder? Because that would be cool.

Yes, it filters the emails directly into the folders!  It is extremely helpful.