Menu

Our last official day of school was today

It started in the afternoon as usual and ended over dinner. Ds still has a few readings to finish and we have a few continuing ed projects for over the summer, however, this was our last official day. We'll  have a small ceremony in a few weeks at my parents and probably go out for steaks. 

My part isn't quite over as I have to finish grading and send off his final transcript. I start summer school on Monday and he registers for college in about two weeks. 

It feels bittersweet because we didn't get to do all the things I had hoped for, yet it is done, completed, and I am grateful we homeschooled high school. They were the most interesting years academically. 

I am proud of this young man I call my son. 

I wanted to share his graduation photo, although I'll  probably remove it in a few days.

post-1040-0-72061800-1432954195_thumb.jpg

• Like 38

It feels bittersweet because we didn't get to do all the things I had hoped for, yet it is done, completed, and I am grateful we homeschooled high school. They were the most interesting years academically. 

I am proud of this young man I call my son. 

Congratulations! I think I've felt like that with every one of mine. We did SO MUCH. And a lot of what we didn't do was because my high schooler wanted something different and so there were substitutions. I'm always so grateful at the end of the senior year and moreso when they start that first year of college for the quantity of time we had together. It's a treasure, this permission, ability, possibility to home educate our kids. 

My 4th just tonight went through commencement. Loved every minute. 

Hats off to you especially elegantlion for keeping on when the going got really tough for you all. 

• Like 4

Congratulations! So happy for you! I have been following your journey as a fellow mom of an only child (son) and as a mom who is going back to school (albeit more gradually than you did). I hope you will continue to update us, as time allows, on what he does and how your own college life is going.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

• Like 2

:party: I can't believe you are done. Weren't we reading Gilgamesh like just a year ago at most? :crying:

I am in awe of you both for accomplishing all that you have done while facing many challenges and I can't believe how much older he looks now as in I might not have recognized him.

Best wishes to you both on the next exciting stage of the journey.

• Like 1

I imagine it's always bittersweet, pride and a certain amount of relief mixed with niggling regrets about the stuff we didn't get around to or didn't do as well as we would have wished. My hope is that you can focus on all the wonderful things you and he have accomplished together and try to let go of the small things. 

Congratulations to both of you! 

• Like 1