Menu

Because Waco needs further infamy...

Kerileanne99

I just do not understand.

Waco never seems to hit the news unless major violence or horrible explosions are involved...

Today NINE people are dead after rival biker gangs fight over a PARKING SpOT. With staff and customers of Twin Peaks locking themselves in the freezer to escape.

I am so sad for the situation and how violence affects everyone around them:(

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/17/us/texas-shooting/

• Like 1

Reports I've read said it was a biker recruitment &/or set-up between rival gangs, the police anticipated problems & had been staking out the area for awhile. So, not over a parking spot, but something planned ahead of time, it seems.

I just looked up the address, and the place is at the very far south end of town, hardly even in "Waco proper". As Waco is a "family town" for us, I'm following this story.

Waco truly is not an unpleasant place to live.

It is right off the i35 freeway at the HWY 6 junction. Not downtown Waco no, but I wouldn't consider it far removed either. It is right in the center of all the new stores and shopping area in Waco. That shopping center is the largest in a Waco and is home to all the major shopping in the town...including many popular student places. We shopped there on Saturday.

To throw even more "fun" into the mix many of the bikers fled one to two counties north and south of Waco. There have already been reports of biker gang activity in a town in the county where I am currently on duty. (Is that convoluted enough?) LE activity is heightened where I work.

To throw even more "fun" into the mix many of the bikers fled one to two counties north and south of Waco. There have already been reports of biker gang activity in a town in the county where I am currently on duty. (Is that convoluted enough?) LE activity is heightened where I work.

Yes, please be careful:(

Local reports say more violence is expected and that bikers are traveling from further away...which means up and down the I35 corridor.

Local reports say more violence is expected and that bikers are traveling from further away...which means up and down the I35 corridor.

Maybe the US military shouldn't wait until July for the Jade Helm 15 exercises in Texas. :leaving:

• Like 2

biker gangs are still big here in Canada; big in pot, crystal meth & prostitution.

The charity rides etc by actual biker gang participants (not just people who like motorcycles but actual gang members or pledges wearing regalia) drive me nuts. If you know how to read the patches, it's horrific what they're claiming to have done & they're just riding through town with people smiling and fawning over them.....

• Like 2

When I read about that yesterday, I told DD, "we bought your textbook for Algebra 1 on ebay from a very nice lady in Waco".   I have driven thru Waco countless times. Apparently a war between Biker gangs who frequented that restaurant,  Sad

This morning 192 gang members were arrested for organized crime activities.   Also, apparently the restaurant owner had been refusing to cooperate with the police even though the gang meeting was know to the restaurant management ahead of time. 

eta:  spelling

Wow, I didn't realize biker gangs were still a thing! 

Their mothers must be so proud...  :banghead:  &  :grouphug:  as needed.

We enjoyed eating at a small restaurant in Waco on one of our trips eons ago (2004 or 2006).  Was it Tom's?  Is there a Tom's there?  My memory is fuzzy except for remembering that it was really good and the owner/cook came out to chat with us - sharing some good memories.

I think the city should consider rebranding with a new name.

I am only 1/2 kidding.

My dad went to Baylor and my mom's hometown was Waco. Once upon a time we would refer to it as "Whacko", insinuating that her family and friends were weird (they are not any weirder than any other typical family- it was just in fun). We don't do that anymore. It's no longer funny.

• Like 1

biker gangs are still big here in Canada; big in pot, crystal meth & prostitution.

The charity rides etc by actual biker gang participants (not just people who like motorcycles but actual gang members or pledges wearing regalia) drive me nuts. If you know how to read the patches, it's horrific what they're claiming to have done & they're just riding through town with people smiling and fawning over them.....

:iagree:

As far as criminal gangs go, the biker gangs seem to have done a pretty good job "branding" themselves and flying under the radar of normal folks (which is not altogether a bad thing.)  Their money making enterprises don't involve normal people, and they do tend to blend with motorcyclists (whole 'nuther animal) at charity events.  But, yeah, biker gangs are scary. 

I'm so glad that we moved to an area with lots of motorcyclists and zero active gangs.

My dad went to Baylor and my mom's hometown was Waco. Once upon a time we would refer to it as "Whacko", insinuating that her family and friends were weird (they are not any weirder than any other typical family- it was just in fun). We don't do that anymore. It's no longer funny.

See, rebranding would fix that problem. ;)

Pronounciation matters. My husband works with a person whose nickname is pronounced "naah zee". It puts people off when they see "Nazi" written out the first time though.

• Like 1

Not as far south as I was thinking. Definitely "in town". Definitely not "bad" area. Right near the Panera Bread, too.

DH was born in Waco. His immediate and extended family owned and ran a restaurant on "The Circle" for nearly fifty years.

Which restaurant?  We are Baylor alumni :)

HGTV Fixer Upper, popular show!

Thanks!  I could have looked it up, of course, but was lazy, and already was here at WTM.

We don't watch TV, so I would not have guessed.  Given that you mention Waco, I would have guessed a religious team of some type.

Which restaurant?  We are Baylor alumni :)

The restaurant still exists, but now in different format.  Our families sold it during the mid-to-late 1980s.  The Circle Elite.  Last time we were there, the management still had old photographs of my F-I-L and his brothers hanging on the wall for display. 

• Like 1

George's...  Although they are known for their giant glass of beer, the food is really good.  We normally eat there with our son when we take him and/or pick him up.

My son and I talked about the same thing.  Waco is really a pretty normal town.  My son has never felt unsafe.  I'm just sorry the bad stuff makes the national news.

Actually it was Tom's - I just looked it up.  Tom's Smokehouse.  Since there aren't more reviews, I'm wondering if it's still there...  We ate BBQ.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g56833-d4628251-Reviews-Tom_s_Smoke_House-Waco_Texas.html

Really? You've never heard of the Bandidos? I'm somewhat surprised!

I've never heard of them either. Hells Angels are the only motorcycle gang that I've ever heard of and I have no idea if they're even still around or if they're linked with violence without looking it up. 

• Like 2

I've never heard of them either. Hells Angels are the only motorcycle gang that I've ever heard of and I have no idea if they're even still around or if they're linked with violence without looking it up. 

^Ditto this for me, too.

Maybe they're better known in TX because they started there( I think). There was a nice, big house in my neighborhood where I grew up that was owned by Bandidos. This was probably about 1971 or 2, the kids invited us inside to play once, and my parents were livid. All I knew was that they owned alot of motorcycles. I associated Bandido with the Fritos character back then.

I moved to Texas in 1956 and have not heard of this group. It may just depend upon where in the state one lives. I have lived only in Houston, Austin, New Braunfels, and Dallas.