Menu

Anyone have a green painted house?

Scarlett

Do you love the color? If so what color is it and what is the color of your roof and trim if any?

I have an odd A frame.....looks like an A frame with a trailer connected to each end. :/. It doesn't look as bad as that sounds. Anyway we put a dark brown roof on with some green specks in it....but they aren't very noticeable.....I want to paint it green. And I see green houses I love but then I get overwhelmed by samples. I can tell you what I dont want. I don't want light green and I don't want hunter green. I think I want a darkish sage color.

But I need help.

There is a house in our area that is the medium-dark sage color you described. It has black shutters on it and it looks beautiful. It's a very modern color that also looks classic. The house is a ranch style, so definitely not an a-frame, but I still think the color could work. Be careful you get a sample of the color you like and paint it on a big board so you can see how it looks outside in both the sun and the shade. We once chose a "perfect" color, only to see it was totally washed-out and faded looking when we saw it outside. Paint sample cards from the store may still look pretty when you see them outdoors, but the actual paint on a big board will give you a much better indication of how it will really look on the house.

• Like 1

We have a sage green house.  I LOVE the color.  Our house was built in 1915.  The doors are a dark red.  We just had the roof done in slate gray architectural roofing.  The trim is a creamy off white.  I HIGHLY recommend painting samples on a few parts of the house and watch it through a few days with the sun coming up and down, etc.  The shade we ended up picking was not the one I would have just picked off the shelf.  Depending on the lighting of your house, darker might look too dark, etc.  I'd keep an open mind to the shade. 

• Like 6

We have a sage green house. I LOVE the color. Our house was built in 1915. The doors are a dark red. We just had the roof done in slate gray architectural roofing. The trim is a creamy off white. I HIGHLY recommend painting samples on a few parts of the house and watch it through a few days with the sun coming up and down, etc. The shade we ended up picking was not the one I would have just picked off the shelf. Depending on the lighting of your house, darker might look too dark, etc. I'd keep an open mind to the shade.

Do you know the color of it?

Love the way that sounds with the red door! We plan to do an off white but not beige trim.

Trying to attach a photo!  I might be able to dig up the paint name later.  :)  Our stairs are painted a darker green.  It actually looks a little washed out in this picture, but it's very overcast today.  The green pops more on sunny days.

• Like 6

Trying to attach a photo! I might be able to dig up the paint name later. :) Our stairs are painted a darker green. It actually looks a little washed out in this picture, but it's very overcast today. The green pops more on sunny days.

attachicon.gifhouse_small.jpg

I swear I responded to this yesterday....not only is my post not here but I couldn't find the thread. It wasn't in my list of threads and i couldn't find it by s arching. I had to go through the chat forum until imfound it on like page three. So aggravating.

Anyway! I love the green with the red door! I am going to talk to dh about that. I like the color of your steps too.....he plans to build /pour concret steps at our front door so that contrast will be nice.

Any luck finding the color?

• Like 1

I swear I responded to this yesterday....not only is my post not here but I couldn't find the thread. It wasn't in my list of threads and i couldn't find it by s arching. I had to go through the chat forum until imfound it on like page three. So aggravating.

Anyway! I love the green with the red door! I am going to talk to dh about that. I like the color of your steps too.....he plans to build /pour concret steps at our front door so that contrast will be nice.

Any luck finding the color?

Not yet, I need to go kick around our million paint cans! I am pretty sure it is Sherwin Williams. I will try and get down there!

• Like 1

My mom's house is pale green stucco with a light gray gravel roof.  But the roof is really flat so you can't see if when you're standing in front of the house.  The trim is even paler green.  I don't like the fact that there's no real contrast.  I would have gone with something darker than the stucco, myself.

• Like 1

I just (had our house) painted our house green with white trim, and it is really beautiful. I used Sherwin Williams paints -- Dried Thyme walls and Westhighland White trim. Our house has a LOT of trim, so that might make a difference. We have a dark grey roof, but I think the color would look fine with brown or black roof, too. If you have very little trim, I might have looked for a slightly lighter green. 

The way I picked our color was to drive around a lot of neighborhoods with my paint deck in hand . . . and when I finally found a house with a green I loved that also had white trim and grey roof, I walked up to the house and held my paint deck up to the siding until I found the exact color. When the various contractors saw the color I picked, many of them thought it was too dark. When I'd sat in my car 30 ft from the house with my paint deck, I'd have chosen a color at least 2 shades lighter . . . it took being RIGHT at the siding with the paint deck to figure out the exact color. (Fortunately, in our community, the only high quality paint store is SW, so I knew I'd be able to find the exact color with the one paint deck. If your community also has a Benjamin Moore store within 10-20 miles, then I'd get a paint deck from them, too. . . . IME, serious paint contractors only buy paint from dedicated paint stores, so nearly all nice houses that use high quality paint/contractors are going to get their paint from those types of places.)

I love, love, love the colors. 

I'd chosen the white over a decade ago, and it's worked beautifully for me in 2 houses, dozens of rooms of all colors . . . so it was set from the get-go, as I do *all* trim, interior and exterior, as well as ceilings and closet walls, in that one shade of white. If you have a different white you love, then that might change things. I love that particular shade of white, and it's gone beautifully with every place I've used it. 

• Like 3

ps. If you go to the Sherwin Williams store (or presumably any other high quality paint store, not a big box), they'll cheerfully give you a paint deck, gratis. Just tell them you are "painting your whole house" and need a paint deck. I've done it twice, no questions asked.

• Like 2

My sister has a sagey-green house and I love it.  No idea what the color is, (was painted many years ago and the paint is peeling off the bricks, which I also love).  There's also a trailer along  a road I frequent that is a vivid, Crayola-green.  I don't know if I would ever have the nerve to do that, and it's a small trailer, so the impact is less than on a larger structure, but for some reason I love it.  I don't think I'd do Crayola green with brown shingles though.  

• Like 1

My sister has a sagey-green house and I love it.  No idea what the color is, (was painted many years ago and the paint is peeling off the bricks, which I also love).  There's also a trailer along  a road I frequent that is a vivid, Crayola-green.  I don't know if I would ever have the nerve to do that, and it's a small trailer, so the impact is less than on a larger structure, but for some reason I love it.  I don't think I'd do Crayola green with brown shingles though.  

I just (had our house) painted our house green with white trim, and it is really beautiful. I used Sherwin Williams paints -- Dried Thyme walls and Westhighland White trim. Our house has a LOT of trim, so that might make a difference. We have a dark grey roof, but I think the color would look fine with brown or black roof, too. If you have very little trim, I might have looked for a slightly lighter green. 

The way I picked our color was to drive around a lot of neighborhoods with my paint deck in hand . . . and when I finally found a house with a green I loved that also had white trim and grey roof, I walked up to the house and held my paint deck up to the siding until I found the exact color. When the various contractors saw the color I picked, many of them thought it was too dark. When I'd sat in my car 30 ft from the house with my paint deck, I'd have chosen a color at least 2 shades lighter . . . it took being RIGHT at the siding with the paint deck to figure out the exact color. (Fortunately, in our community, the only high quality paint store is SW, so I knew I'd be able to find the exact color with the one paint deck. If your community also has a Benjamin Moore store within 10-20 miles, then I'd get a paint deck from them, too. . . . IME, serious paint contractors only buy paint from dedicated paint stores, so nearly all nice houses that use high quality paint/contractors are going to get their paint from those types of places.)

I love, love, love the colors. 

I'd chosen the white over a decade ago, and it's worked beautifully for me in 2 houses, dozens of rooms of all colors . . . so it was set from the get-go, as I do *all* trim, interior and exterior, as well as ceilings and closet walls, in that one shade of white. If you have a different white you love, then that might change things. I love that particular shade of white, and it's gone beautifully with every place I've used it. 

That is a beautiful color but it looks very grey on my computer screen.  Do you think it is a grey green?  I am going to go get the paint deck. 

Ugh - ok I went and dug around in our paint cans and it looks like we custom mixed a sherwin williams paint to match a Benjamin Moore sample.  Our painters preferred the Sherwin William paint quality.  I have 3 benjamin moore samples we looked at here, so it is one of these.  All 3 are part of the historical collection and all are actually fairly close in color ...

Kittery Point Green

Saybrook Sage

Kennebunkport Green

So there's 3 to check out if that is remotely helpful!  :001_huh:   Sorry I don't have better info about our exact color.  I know we painted all 3 of these on our garage and it really looked different up than on the samples.  So it was very helpful to paint a few patches and ponder for a few days.

• Like 1

Ugh - ok I went and dug around in our paint cans and it looks like we custom mixed a sherwin williams paint to match a Benjamin Moore sample.  Our painters preferred the Sherwin William paint quality.  I have 3 benjamin moore samples we looked at here, so it is one of these.  All 3 are part of the historical collection and all are actually fairly close in color ...

Kittery Point Green

Saybrook Sage

Kennebunkport Green

So there's 3 to check out if that is remotely helpful!  :001_huh:   Sorry I don't have better info about our exact color.  I know we painted all 3 of these on our garage and it really looked different up than on the samples.  So it was very helpful to paint a few patches and ponder for a few days.

Yes it is very helpful!  Thank you so much.  

• Like 1

That is a beautiful color but it looks very grey on my computer screen.  Do you think it is a grey green?  I am going to go get the paint deck. 

On the house, it doesn't look grey. It looks like a muted deep leafy green. Check it out in person. SW sells "tester" quarts -- under $10 -- so you can buy it and paint a big old board or even a swath on your actual house if you are definitely painting soon.

Here's a pic of the back deck, while the house was still very much under construction, but it gives you a good idea of how the color (and trim) looked. (The doors will soon be stained a deep cherry-wood type stain. That beige is just the primer that the doors came with.)

Sorry it's so small. My brain isnt working well today.

post-1567-0-41284800-1431455055_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

On the house, it doesn't look grey. It looks like a muted deep leafy green. Check it out in person. SW sells "tester" quarts -- under $10 -- so you can buy it and paint a big old board or even a swath on your actual house if you are definitely painting soon.

Here's a pic of the back deck, while the house was still very much under construction, but it gives you a good idea of how the color (and trim) looked. (The doors will soon be stained a deep cherry-wood type stain. That beige is just the primer that the doors came with.)

Sorry it's so small. My brain isnt working well today.

attachicon.gifdried thyme2.jpg

I was able to click on it and make it big.  :)  Ok, so that looks MUCH closer to what I have in mind.  Very pretty color and it does look good with that white trim.  

I am going to buy several samples but I don't want to have to buy 10!  :)  Thanks everyone for helping me to narrow it down.  

• Like 1

Ours is a light sage green with ivory trim. I don't remember the color names, but they were part of Sherwin-William's "Historic" line. Anyway, we've had several complements on it. I'm still very happy with it 7-ish years later.

I neeeeeed the color name.  :)  

I love green houses but there is a house nearby that is sinus infection green and it clashes with the grass/lawn.

Watch out for that shade of green.

:ack2: :zombie:

That makes "the Skittles house" sound positively charming in comparison! :laugh:

• Like 3

Did you see that is the same color strip as my Dried Thyme? Yours is just one shade darker in the same color! Great color!! I love the Dried Thyme, and I'm sure yours is lovely, too. 

• Like 1

Did you see that is the same color strip as my Dried Thyme? Yours is just one shade darker in the same color! Great color!! I love the Dried Thyme, and I'm sure yours is lovely, too.

I thought it looked familiar! They are both great colors.

• Like 1

One suggestion to Not do.....

There is a house in our neighborhood that is sage green with rust colored trim.  It is just ....Yuck.  I am sure the colors looked good together on a palette somewhere, but the rust trim on green house, does not look good. 

• Like 1

There is a house here in town that is a darker green with tan accents and looks very nice. I would be okay with that. But, many years ago dh's father painted their house mint green - really minty - because the paint was on sale. They had pink shutters at the time, and I have to say that I did not like it because it looked like a large playhouse or Barbie home or something. It was NOT attractive. When they placed the house up for sale, the realtor told him he would not get a good price unless he painted it again. They went tan with dark blue shutters. Much, much better, LOL!

I think it all depends on the exact shade combined with the roof and trim color.

• Like 1