Menu

Knitters.....should a Prayer Shawl be a triangle?

mumto2

A few years ago a close friend was diagnosed with cancer and I made her thishttp://www.debbiemacomber.com/knitters-club/free-patterns/alix%E2%80%99s-prayer-shawlPrayer Shawl when she started her chemo. It brought both of us great comfort. At that time I did some research that led me to believe that they were supposed to be triangular to represent the Trinity.

I am once again trying to support a close friend and thinking that a Prayer Shawl might be a good start. When I looked at ravelry many prayer shawls seem to be rectangular which would be easier because my kids will recognize the pattern and the implications. Right now not telling anyone about her illness. She is Christian....do I do a triangle or not???

Anyone have a favorite pattern?

While not knitted, I just crocheted this throw for a dear friend that started chemo. It is rectangular and would be very simple to make a knitted version. Lion Brand Homespun came together beautifully. It is soft and washable. She loves it and I love that I was able to make something useful for her as she faces the biggest battle of her life.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/waterfall-throw-crochet

• Like 1

Prayer shawls tend to be heavy, rectangular, and have pockets on both ends (oftentimes just the shawl tacked back on itself to moake those pockets). They definitely don't have to be triangles, and I csnt remember seeing any called prayer shawls that were :).

While not knitted, I just crocheted this throw for a dear friend that started chemo. It is rectangular and would be very simple to make a knitted version. Lion Brand Homespun came together beautifully. It is soft and washable. She loves it and I love that I was able to make something useful for her as she faces the biggest battle of her life.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/waterfall-throw-crochet

Your pattern looks lovely. I am not a happy crocheter (not sure that is a word) so need to knit. I am planning on a lighter weight yarn for tha sake of my hands....I haven't been knitting much lately.

I think I will pull out my blanket patterns and see what I have that might work. Bank holiday weekend here so shops are closed until Tuesday. I would love to get started and have an overflowing stash. I had some fluffy dk once upon a time.

Ideas are still very welcome so please post. I will admit a small part of me is wondering about quilting one now that rectangular is a possibility.

• Like 1

The shawls I knit are rectangular.  Although I have knit a number of them, I've met only one of the recipients.  She told me that in addition to using it as a shawl, she also sometimes used it as a coverlet while napping.  I had never thought of the extra bit of versatility of the rectangle.

That said, I have seen a number of patterns for triangular shawls.  You can make whatever you prefer.

If you are on Ravelry, search for prayer shawl patterns.  There are tons, and you can filter by knit/crochet, yarn weight, etc.  If you're not on Ravelry, it's free and it's a GREAT resource.

The shawls I knit are rectangular. Although I have knit a number of them, I've met only one of the recipients. She told me that in addition to using it as a shawl, she also sometimes used it as a coverlet while napping. I had never thought of the extra bit of versatility of the rectangle.

That said, I have seen a number of patterns for triangular shawls. You can make whatever you prefer.

If you are on Ravelry, search for prayer shawl patterns. There are tons, and you can filter by knit/crochet, yarn weight, etc. If you're not on Ravelry, it's free and it's a GREAT resource.

Roughly what size are the ones you are making? I might create my own.

I am on Ravelry but not great at searching. I signed up because of the long knitting thread on WTM last fall.

Roughly what size are the ones you are making? I might create my own.

I am on Ravelry but not great at searching. I signed up because of the long knitting thread on WTM last fall.

Here is what I make:

The Original Prayer Shawl - Knitting Pattern

It ends up being maybe 2.5 by 4 feet or thereabouts.  Then I put fringe on it, which makes it a little longer, closer to 5 feet.  I use 3 skeins of Lion Brand Homespun yarn and size 13 needles.

• Like 2

Here is what I make:

It ends up being maybe 2.5 by 4 feet or thereabouts.  Then I put fringe on it, which makes it a little longer, closer to 5 feet.  I use 3 skeins of Lion Brand Homespun yarn and size 13 needles.

Yes, I thought the original was a rectangle, though there are so many different patterns these days. I think any shawl made with care and thoughts/prayers for the recipient would qualify as a Prayer Shawl.

• Like 1

I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me figure out how I want to go about this. I think she is starting chemo late this week so I need to be able to work quickly. News matter what I do I won't make this week but late next week has potential with this pattern for me....depending on length. I finally decided to adjust a pattern I have made several times from the Mason Dixon knitting book....can't find my book so am quessing on stitch numbers but should be fine. The pattern is the Nina Shawlhttp://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nina-shawl. Can be adjusted to incorporate the three pattern easily and most importantly I think my friend will enjoy the colours.

• Like 4

Here is what I make:

Yes, this is the original design.

I have two books about knitting prayer shawls, and none of the patterns are triangular.  It's a nice idea though.

• Like 1

My friend made one for a dear friend of ours whose husband passed away unexpectedly.  It was rectangular.  It was a more open weave pattern so that she could use it in the summer.  All of her friends bought small charms that were added to the shawl.  We each included a note card to talk about the significance of the charm we chose with an affirmation we had in mind for her.  When she died of cancer last month, she had this shawl on her bed with her.  It was a treasure she used frequently in those nearly 10 years after the passing of her husband.

• Like 1