Menu

Do I risk AP exams with ds? (no proctor will test with an accommodation)

DS can get a medical accommodation for extended time in case of a bathroom break because he has a documented disability.  Basically, if he needs to go to the bathroom during the exam, he will probably fail because of the time it will take.  :(  He wants to take AP Bio and AP Human Geo next year.  The problem is that being a HS student, no one will test him with an accommodation.  Accommodations require a completely separate proctor, which is not something they are willing to allow for a HS student :(

Should we risk the AP Exams and hope for the best or consider them a non-option :crying:

Any thoughts?

You don't have to report AP scores.  Other than the testing fees, he wouldn't be out anything if he sat for the AP exam and then had a situation where he couldn't finish the test.

That being said, since you still have a lot of time, I would try to find another school that would accommodate him.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Wait, you mean there is no support whatsoever for Homeschooling kids with special documented needs that want to take the AP exam with accommodations?  Are you sure? Have the people who told you this actually looked up any laws in your state?  Have you looked up the laws in your state?  Sometimes schools don't follow the law, so if you haven't I would check.  Surely there is some way to make this happen?  Or does this strictly fall under school policy and no law applies?

I really hope someone with more knowledge than I have can post some helpful suggestions.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 4

Wait, you mean there is no support whatsoever for Homeschooling kids with special documented needs that want to take the AP exam with accommodations?  Are you sure? 

No there are no guarantees of equitable access to APs for anyone, let alone for kids with disabilities. That said, the only place we have found that will allow homeschoolers to test locally was willing to let ds test with extended time. We are paying a proctor fee (reasonable) for his individually proctored exam. 

My recommendation is to start talking to private schools and offer a proctor fee. PA Homeschoolers compiles a list of where their students test and if anyone has taken a class there and tested in your area, they can give referrals. There were no schools in my area on their list before this year, but now we've added one! I started searching this time last year and it took until late fall to get a commitment and even then, I thought at one point they were going to back out. It has been a huge effort, but I figure I'm paving the way for others to follow.

• Like 10

No there are no guarantees of equitable access to APs for anyone, let alone for kids with disabilities. That said, the only place we have found that will allow homeschoolers to test locally was willing to let ds test with extended time. We are paying a proctor fee (reasonable) for his individually proctored exam. 

My recommendation is to start talking to private schools and offer a proctor fee. PA Homeschoolers compiles a list of where their students test and if anyone has taken a class there and tested in your area, they can give referrals. There were no schools in my area on their list before this year, but now we've added one! I started searching this time last year and it took until late fall to get a commitment and even then, I thought at one point they were going to back out. It has been a huge effort, but I figure I'm paving the way for others to follow.

:hurray:   Wow.  Good for you!  And for those who follow afterwards.   :thumbup1:

• Like 1

Wait, you mean there is no support whatsoever for Homeschooling kids with special documented needs that want to take the AP exam with accommodations?  Are you sure? Have the people who told you this actually looked up any laws in your state?  Have you looked up the laws in your state?  Sometimes schools don't follow the law, so if you haven't I would check.  Surely there is some way to make this happen?  Or does this strictly fall under school policy and no law applies?

I really hope someone with more knowledge than I have can post some helpful suggestions.

We have a difficult school system.  Our local school that our kids would go to won't even let my non-accommodation child take an AP Exam that they are already giving to other students.  Silly, in my opinion.  We have had to work outside of our county.  The counselor out of county is wonderful but she said they couldn't accommodate.

I'm having trouble finding this list. Would you be able to give more details about how to find it or provide a link?

Thanks!

• Like 2

I would keep asking other school systems for help. Are you willing to drive to have him take the AP test somewhere they are willing to accommodate? Would you be willing to pay for an additional proctor for the school system?

I'm assuming he has accommodations in place through the College Board. Personally I'd drive a distance to make it happen. I assume you think accommodations are important or you wouldn't have asked. I suppose you have to weigh the options - test without accommodations or keep looking for some place willing to work with you. As others have said, you don't have to report the scores.

• Like 1

We had written documentation for an accommodation for our son for the ACT, and though the school originally agreed to a separate proctor for him - due to his leg issues he was supposed to have a 15 minute break between sections 1 and 2, 20 minutes between 2 and 3, and then 15 minutes between 3 and 4 so that he could walk because sitting for extended periods without taking Flexerol (which makes him sleepy and would severely compromise his ability to test) causes cramping and spasms.

But, when he got there, the school reneged on the deal. The college board did not care, and according to our lawyer is not as a private company required to provide the accommodation nor is the school because serving as proctors is not a requirement by state law. They don't have to accommodate anyone if they do not want to do so.

He was in a huge amount of pain by the end of the exam. The tears stood in the corners of his eyes so it was no surprise when he did poorly. Thankfully, all of the colleges he applied to were willing to disregard his senior year scores and go with his junior year ones which were much, much better.

I'm having trouble finding this list. Would you be able to give more details about how to find it or provide a link?

Thanks!

I don't think there is a link. But if you take a class or are considering taking a class, you can contact them and they will let you know what test sites have been accommodating to homeschoolers in your area. I emailed with Susan Richmond last year when we were considering which APs to enroll in. I was concerned that there would be no testing and I was trying to decide if the APs were worth it without the chance to test. She checked the list for me, in order to help me make out enrollment decisions.

I know in ds's classes, they have asked all students to fill out a form that says where they are testing. I'm assuming they do this in all classes. It is voluntary for the students and not all do it, but that is how they get the information for their list.

• Like 2

We had written documentation for an accommodation for our son for the ACT, and though the school originally agreed to a separate proctor for him - due to his leg issues he was supposed to have a 15 minute break between sections 1 and 2, 20 minutes between 2 and 3, and then 15 minutes between 3 and 4 so that he could walk because sitting for extended periods without taking Flexerol (which makes him sleepy and would severely compromise his ability to test) causes cramping and spasms.

But, when he got there, the school reneged on the deal. The college board did not care, and according to our lawyer is not as a private company required to provide the accommodation nor is the school because serving as proctors is not a requirement by state law. They don't have to accommodate anyone if they do not want to do so.

He was in a huge amount of pain by the end of the exam. The tears stood in the corners of his eyes so it was no surprise when he did poorly. Thankfully, all of the colleges he applied to were willing to disregard his senior year scores and go with his junior year ones which were much, much better.

I'm a little confused. Was it the ACT or SAT? College Board doesn't do the ACT. You don't have to get a school to agree to the accommodations for either. All you have to do is get them approved, then sign up for the test. They will put you in a location that has agreed to provide testing with accommodations. I am very surprised that they would not have been concerned if a test site failed to provide the agreed on accommodations. I would sign him up at a different location the next time!

Ds has taken the ACT at two different test sites and his accommodations were in place both times.

Unfortunately, the PSAT and APs are not like this. You have to provide your own test site and there is no guarantee made for access.

• Like 1

DS can get a medical accommodation for extended time in case of a bathroom break because he has a documented disability.  Basically, if he needs to go to the bathroom during the exam, he will probably fail because of the time it will take.   :(  He wants to take AP Bio and AP Human Geo next year.  The problem is that being a HS student, no one will test him with an accommodation.  Accommodations require a completely separate proctor, which is not something they are willing to allow for a HS student  :(

Will the course be outsourced or done at home.  If it is outsourced I would think it would still provide some outside validation of ability.  I think I would have him try the exam, even if he can not get accommodations.  If he scores a 3 or better I would report the score and explain that he should have had accommodations but the school was unwilling.  This would actually be a positive for your son when it comes to college applications.

I am sorry you are having trouble finding a school that will provide what is necessary for your son.  Since you are starting early, maybe you will be willing to fine one!

Blessings,

Michelle

• Like 2

I think we need to all complain to the College Board and say it is ridiculous that home school students and other students are at the mercy of school testing sites who may or may not let them test or may or may not provide accommodations. Gee, does not the College Board want our business??? There should be commercial testing centers available like there are for other national tests available for homeschoolers and others.

• Like 5

I think we need to all complain to the College Board and say it is ridiculous that home school students and other students are at the mercy of school testing sites who may or may not let them test or may or may not provide accommodations. Gee, does not the College Board want our business??? There should be commercial testing centers available like there are for other national tests available for homeschoolers and others.

Many of us already have. Feel free to add your voice. And no, I don't think they care at all about our business. They'd prefer to deal with schools and large groups, not random individuals. Sigh.

• Like 4

Many of us already have. Feel free to add your voice. And no, I don't think they care at all about our business. They'd prefer to deal with schools and large groups, not random individuals. Sigh.

Yes, complain away, but last year I complained up the chain over issues I had finding a Latin exam.  I had to call dozens of schools, both public and private.  I covered seven counties with my phone calls.  Finally I found a more distant school through an email contact who knew the AP coordinator there.  The College Board provided no help other than a list of schools who had been approved to give that exam, and I had to call multiple times to get more names as I had to go further and further out with my calls.

At the College Board, the last supervisor I talked to told me that homeschoolers are a very, very small percentage of their business when you look at the whole of the PSAT/SAT/SAT II/AP population.  He said that he had been told to take down individual complaints but that there was no interest in higher-level management to address these issues.  It is much more efficient for them to focus their efforts on the schools that offer these tests than to deal with homeschoolers individually.  They don't have the resources.

• Like 3

Yes, complain away, but last year I complained up the chain over issues I had finding a Latin exam.  I had to call dozens of schools, both public and private.  I covered seven counties with my phone calls.  Finally I found a more distant school through an email contact who knew the AP coordinator there.  The College Board provided no help other than a list of schools who had been approved to give that exam, and I had to call multiple times to get more names as I had to go further and further out with my calls.

This is exactly why I blew it off when I called the college board and they told me to have him take AP bio and they would make sure there was a site with accommodations.  What???  Just like they did with dd and AP Art History this year.  We lost our testing site and they "helped" by offering a new list of schools to call each time I contacted them and none of them were willing.  We ended up not registering for the exam even though dd worked her tail off for Art History all year...over 2,000 pages of large book, small print, college text reading....ugh.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused. Was it the ACT or SAT? College Board doesn't do the ACT. You don't have to get a school to agree to the accommodations for either. All you have to do is get them approved, then sign up for the test. They will put you in a location that has agreed to provide testing with accommodations. I am very surprised that they would not have been concerned if a test site failed to provide the agreed on accommodations. I would sign him up at a different location the next time!

Ds has taken the ACT at two different test sites and his accommodations were in place both times.

Unfortunately, the PSAT, SAT 2s, and APs are not like this. You have to provide your own test site and there is no guarantee made for access.

Sorry, ACT. We have also had trouble with the college board in the past and typing in haste, I mingled it! The accomodations issue this year was ACT.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the PSAT, SAT 2s, and APs are not like this. You have to provide your own test site and there is no guarantee made for access.

What can you tell me about getting a seat for the SAT 2s/Subject Tests? I did not know that this could be an issue.

• Like 2

What can you tell me about getting a seat for the SAT 2s/Subject Tests? I did not know that this could be an issue.

SAT II subject tests are run exactly like regular SATs, in that you register online and choose your testing site. Easy peasy :) No need to call around for a seat.

• Like 2

SAT II subject tests are run exactly like regular SATs, in that you register online and choose your testing site. Easy peasy :) No need to call around for a seat.

Sorry about that. I edited my original post to avoid causing anyone else confusion.

• Like 2

DS can get a medical accommodation for extended time in case of a bathroom break because he has a documented disability. Basically, if he needs to go to the bathroom during the exam, he will probably fail because of the time it will take. :( He wants to take AP Bio and AP Human Geo next year. The problem is that being a HS student, no one will test him with an accommodation. Accommodations require a completely separate proctor, which is not something they are willing to allow for a HS student :(

Should we risk the AP Exams and hope for the best or consider them a non-option :crying:

Any thoughts?

I ended up working through the state DOE AP coordinator for one exam this year. My sons are testing at a very posh private school. Maybe you need to try contacting district liaisons for AP and or disability services. Make it clear that your son is being turned away from a situation where he would otherwise be accepted because of a medical disability.

And sadly it still might not help.

CB won't have an interest in testing access until there is a critical mass of students taking AP outside brick and mortar schools. That may come soon but not by this May.

• Like 3

One AP coordinator suggested that I talk to the AP Coordinator for the state public online system. We don't have a free online option here, but there is still an online office. That AP coordinator was able to give me the name of the person to talk to in the state online office. Those kids have to have a place to test too, and the school districts they attend don't necessarily offer the APs they are taking. In fact that is one reason people opt into the online Academy here even though it isn't free.

Anyway, that is one more potential source of information on testing sites.

• Like 1

My kids' experience -- they needed all the time they could get for the AP Calc test.  But were done early (as was everyone else) in the APUSH test.

So the exams vary in how much time is actually needed.  

You might want to see if you can get any idea as to how the Bio and Geography are in that regard.  I shudder to say it, but College Confidential might be a place to start (as well as this board if anyone knows).

• Like 1

Oh, thank goodness.  I about had a panic attack, LOL. I already know where DS will be able to take any and all AP exams, unless the school changes its policy.  But don't be jealous...it is a 9 hour drive away :eek: .

• Like 1

Oh, thank goodness.  I about had a panic attack, LOL. I already know where DS will be able to take any and all AP exams, unless the school changes its policy.  But don't be jealous...it is a 9 hour drive away :eek: .

Yes, the lack of drama over the Latin SAT II was wonderful.  Just pick your date and location.  We chose one ten minutes away.  I dropped him off and went and did errands and picked him up an hour later because he only did that one on that round.

As long as you have your College Board profile done, registering takes just a few minutes.

• Like 2

You don't have to report AP scores. 

Is it like with the SAT where there are two choices: report all scores, or report selected scores?  I ask because I understand some colleges ask that all SAT scores be reported (and that if you ask for selected scores to be sent that the report shows "selected score sent," or something like that, rather than "all scores reported").  I don't know if it's the same with AP scores.

• Like 2

Is it like with the SAT where there are two choices: report all scores, or report selected scores?  I ask because I understand some colleges ask that all SAT scores be reported (and that if you ask for selected scores to be sent that the report shows "selected score sent," or something like that, rather than "all scores reported").  I don't know if it's the same with AP scores.

No, it's not like the SAT score reporting, even though it's all from the same College Board.

There's a section where AP scores can be self-reported on the Common App. Colleges that don't use the Common App may or may not ask about them.

The official AP report only has to be sent to the school you choose to matriculate at, and then only during the summer before you attend. They are NOT usually sent as part of the application process. In fact, I've never run across a school that asked that.

You can pay to have a low AP score expunged or withheld from your record, but I don't see any point to that. By the time the college sees the report, the student has already been accepted.

Some schools and homeschoolers do choose to place AP scores on the transcript.

• Like 4

No, it's not like the SAT score reporting, even though it's all from the same College Board.

There's a section where AP scores can be self-reported on the Common App. Colleges that don't use the Common App may or may not ask about them.

The official AP report only has to be sent to the school you choose to matriculate at, and then only during the summer before you attend. They are NOT usually sent as part of the application process. In fact, I've never run across a school that asked that.

You can pay to have a low AP score expunged or withheld from your record, but I don't see any point to that. By the time the college sees the report, the student has already been accepted.

Some schools and homeschoolers do choose to place AP scores on the transcript.

If we add AP Scores to the transcript then do we need to have them sent as a part of the application process?

If we add AP Scores to the transcript then do we need to have them sent as a part of the application process?

As Kathy said, AP scores are not sent as part of the appliation process. They are sent after the student has been accepted. They would need to be sent officially even if you place them on the transcript.

• Like 2

We reported my dd's AP scores on her transcript, but did not send an official score report until after she took her AP exams senior year.  By that time we knew where she was attending and directed them to be sent when she filled out her AP testing paper work in advance of taking the exam.  No need to pay for separate reports to be sent at application time.

• Like 2