Menu

Book a Week 2015 - W17: Poem in your Pocket

Robin M

The Golden Notebook is slightly exhausting, lol.  It is definitely a book of its time and I keep having to refocus my brain so it works while people sigh and whinge about the drama within their local communist group. I mean, it could be any group really. But I am just too young to really make that connection. I can't feel the sadness and betrayal and shame when the worldwide leftist movement was finally forced to acknowledge Stalin's mass murder of everyone. I know it was crushing and had lasting repercussions on political movements, I have read about it in other novels. Heck, I've heard people talk about it and they are still upset! it just feels puts a space between me and the story. I keep having this "wait, what?" moment.

There is a lot more to the book, I am just in the thick of that particular issue right now. I am sure I will be past it soon.

It is such a self consciously intellectual novel, with characters having discussions about their analysis and what is the moral obligation of art and  women coping with what will be known as  'the problem that has no name' once Betty Friedan gets her book published. I am also barely 100 pages in, so maybe I shouldn't be making any judgements.

• Like 9

Well, good thing I was a few books ahead!  Got a little busy there and missed a few weeks.

23. "How to Read Literature Like  a Professor for Kids" by Thomas C. Foster.  Thank you to the Boardies who recommended this!  I think this will be a great direction to lead my sensitive, literal son into Middle School/High School Literature.

22.  "Women and the Priesthood" by Sheri Dew (LDS).

21. "No More Meltdowns" by Jed Baker, Ph.D. 

20. "Amazed by Grace" by Sheri Dew (LDS).

19. "Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace" by Sarah Mackenzie.

18. "How to Become a Straight-A Student" by Cal Newport.

17. "Eight Plus One" by Robert Cormier.

16.  "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.

15. "How to Train Your Dragon" by Cressida Cowell.

14.  "As You Wish" by Cary Elwes.

13. "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. 

12. "My Louisiana Sky" by Kimberly Willis Holt. 

11. "Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself" by Alan Alda.  

10. "When I Was Your Age" edited by Amy Ehrlich.

9. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick.  

8. “Broken Things to Mend†by Jeffrey R. Holland (LDS)

7. “When You Can't Do It Alone†by Brent Top. (LDS)

6. “What to Do When You Worry Too Much†and “What to Do When Your Temper Flares†by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.â€

5. “Tales of a Female Nomad†by Rita Golden Gelman.

4. “Heaven is for Real†by Todd Burpo.

3. "Your Happily Ever After" and "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (LDS)

2. "Cliff-Hanger" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

1. "Rage of Fire" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

• Like 8

Can someone please recommend a good non-fiction book to me. I would love something sociology type. It needs to be available on kindle

I'm reading this: http://www.amazon.com/People-Like-Us-Waleed-Aly-ebook/dp/B003R509TW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430394793&sr=8-1&keywords=Waleed+Aly

Which I don't necessarily recommend because I don't know why you would want to read it. I'm just chatting.  :P

• Like 10

Can someone please recommend a good non-fiction book to me. I would love something sociology type. It needs to be available on kindle

Tell us more about what you want?  The "bible" of sociology is Eliot Aronson's classic The Social Animal. David Brooks (every liberal's favorite conservative) wrote a really interesting book called The Social Animal: Hidden Sources of Love, Character and Achievement.  Steve Pinker has some interesting books - The Better Angels of Our Nature, which I haven't read, and The Blank Slate, which I have.  My favorite book on sociology & mothering is Mother Nature: Maternal Instincts and How They Shape the Human Species by Sarah Blaffer Hrdy.

Malcolm Gladwell's books might fit the bill, or Nurture Shock, 

Oh, another David Brooks I hadn't seen before - Bobos in Paradise: The New Upper Class and How They Got There - I may have to get that for myself!

Barbara Erenrich?  Nickled and Dimed was excellent, and she has some other interesting stuff.

Jane Goodall?  EO Wilson?  I just put The Social Conquest of Earth on hold. . . 

Stop me, somebody.  So many books, so little time . . . . sigh

ETA: Richard Wrangham - Catching Fire and Demonic Males were both great.

• Like 9

Sociology type book...

I did read Bobos in Paradise a long time ago and it was pretty good. 

Paul Krugman writes some great books. He won the Nobel in economics, so of course his books have that focus, but as long as you don't pick one of his textbooks, they are very accessible and I have learned a lot.

This year I read Katha Pollit's book "Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights" and I am very glad I did.

• Like 7

I'm not sure what I want, that's the problem. I am flittering from book to book. I want something that will engage my brain but not something where I have to look up every third word. My brain is rotting from all the appalling student essays but the steady diet of romance novels are beginning to bore me.

In the past I've liked A Walk in the Woods, To Call a Midwife, Mystics Maverics and Merry Makers and Quiet just to give a few examples. I'm quite eclectic in my taste.

I'll check out your suggestions.

• Like 8

I'm not sure what I want, that's the problem. I am flittering from book to book. I want something that will engage my brain but not something where I have to look up every third word. My brain is rotting from all the appalling student essays but the steady diet of romance novels are beginning to bore me.

In the past I've liked A Walk in the Woods, To Call a Midwife, Mystics Maverics and Merry Makers and Quiet just to give a few examples. I'm quite eclectic in my taste.

I'll check out your suggestions.

I know what you mean about flittering from book to book.  I just did that last week. When I can't extract myself from that space, I go with short stories or essays. I read a wide variety of short stories, but for essays I personally love Fran Lebowitz and David Sedaris. I recently read Lena Dunham's book "Not That Kind of Girl" and if you like Lebowitz or Sedaris you will prob enjoy Dunham.

I am also waiting to get my hands on "Bad Feminist" another book of essays. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things.

This time, I went for shock therapy to settle my reading and am plowing my way through The Golden Notebook. I am still not sure I made the right decision, lol.

• Like 9

Regarding non-fiction titles available on the Kindle:

In the past I've liked A Walk in the Woods, ...

I'll toss out my favorite Bill Bryson work ~

The Mother Tongue - English And How It Got That Way

"With dazzling wit and astonishing insight, Bill Bryson—the acclaimed author of The Lost Continent—brilliantly explores the remarkable history, eccentricities, resilience and sheer fun of the English language. From the first descent of the larynx into the throat (why you can talk but your dog can't), to the fine lost art of swearing, Bryson tells the fascinating, often uproarious story of an inadequate, second-rate tongue of peasants that developed into one of the world's largest growth industries."

and an enjoyable read which is dinner table conversation provoking  ~

Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman

"For over twenty years, psychologist Richard Wiseman has examined the quirky science of everyday life. In Quirkology, he navigates the oddities of human behavior, explaining the tell-tale signs that give away a liar, the secret science behind speed-dating and personal ads, and what a person’s sense of humor reveals about the innermost workings of his or her mind—all along paying tribute to others who have carried out similarly weird and wonderful work. Wiseman’s research has involved secretly observing people as they go about their daily business, conducting unusual experiments in art exhibitions and music concerts, and even staging fake séances in allegedly haunted buildings. With thousands of research subjects from all over the world, including enamored couples, unwitting pedestrians, and guileless dinner guests, Wiseman presents a fun, clever, and unexpected picture of the human mind."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Asylum was not different from the movie. It was pretty much the exact same thing. *laughs* Not worth it. I ended up skimming the last bit of it. I'm rereading Judy Blume's Summer Sisters which I've loved since I was 14. I tend to read it about once a year not because it's particularly spectacular literature but because it speaks to me and is comforting in an odd way.

• Like 7

Tor has been featuring column entitled Five Books About ... by different authors.  They make for some intriguing reading.  Here's a link to all the columns thus far: http://www.tor.com/features/series/five-books-about

And links to some of the columns.  Many additional titles can be found in the comments.

Five Books with Fantastic Horses   by Patricia Briggs

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

NoseInABook, :hurray: . Hope everyone enjoys! Your dc are gorgeous.

My brain is rotting from all the appalling student essays but the steady diet of romance novels are beginning to bore me.

:lol:

What popped into my head is Packing for Mars. Non-fiction, interesting & unique, but not overly brain-taxing to read either. (And, yes, I'm a grown-up who still secretly dreams of being an astronaut.)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2010: With her wry humor and inextinguishable curiosity, Mary Roach has crafted her own quirky niche in the somewhat staid world of science writing, showing no fear (or shame) in the face of cadavers, ectoplasm, or sex. In Packing for Mars, Roach tackles the strange science of space travel, and the psychology, technology, and politics that go into sending a crew into orbit. Roach is unfailingly inquisitive (Why is it impolite for astronauts to float upside down during conversations? Just how smelly does a spacecraft get after a two week mission?), and she eagerly seeks out the stories that don't make it onto NASA's website--from SPCA-certified space suits for chimps, to the trial-and-error approach to crafting menus during the space program's early years (when the chefs are former livestock veterinarians, taste isn't high on the priority list). Packing for Mars is a book for grownups who still secretly dream of being astronauts, and Roach lives it up on their behalf--weightless in a C-9 aircraft, she just can't resist the opportunity to go "Supermanning" around the cabin. Her zeal for discovery, combined with her love of the absurd, amazing, and stranger-than-fiction, make Packing for Mars an uproarious trip into the world of space travel.

• Like 11

Tor has been featuring column entitled Five Books About ... by different authors.  They make for some intriguing reading.  Here's a link to all the columns thus far: http://www.tor.com/features/series/five-books-about

And links to some of the columns.  Many additional titles can be found in the comments.

Five Books with Fantastic Horses   by Patricia Briggs

There are some really fun lists on that master list link. Thanks!!!

You didn't link some of the coolest titles.... ;)

Five Books in Which Giant Insects Ruin Everyone’s Day

Five Fantasy Armies You Don’t Want To Sign Up For

Five Books with Snarky Sidekicks

Five Duelists You Should Never Challenge to a Fight (Hey, I've actually read two from that list!)

Five Books in Which Pop Music is Trying To Kill You

• Like 8

TeacherZee, I'm reading Boys and Girls Learn Differently by Gurian. That's sociology and since you're a teacher maybe it would interest you. 

I started The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.  Well, I read the first chapter, and am already reduced to sobbing.  Is the whole thing going to be like this? It's beautiful, and poetic, and heartwrenching, and I don't know if I'm going to make it through.

Yes, the whole book is like that. I felt so drained when I finished it, but satisfied and content feeling. I am happy I read it. Love it. 

Well, I know those books are not allowed in Germany. Nothing with Nazi symbolism is allowed. 

When my cousin was visiting here and she saw the book displayed in Barnes and Noble she about fell over. 

• Like 8

NoseInABook, :hurray: . Hope everyone enjoys! Your dc are gorgeous.

What popped into my head is Packing for Mars. Non-fiction, interesting & unique, but not overly brain-taxing to read either. (And, yes, I'm a grown-up who still secretly dreams of being an astronaut.)

That's a great book! I bought it for Shannon when she was on her "i want to be an astronomer" kick.

• Like 9

My first thought was The Forest People by Colin Turnbull or A Primate's Memoir by Robert Sapolsky, although they fall more on the anthropology or social biology sides of Sociology spectrum. I think they came to mind because of your Congo studies. The Forest People is a '60s memoir/study of living with the Mbuti Pygmies (Congo) which was very human and enjoyable. Sapolsky's memoir of his youth studying baboons in Kenya is also lighter with lots of elements of humor and social biology/biological evolution. 

Both are memoirs, so they generally stay out of specialized vocabulary, but both have lots of interesting thoughts and some humor. 

• Like 9

Tell me no lies

Tell me a story, I'll tell you no lies

Everyone lives and no one dies

Life as we know it,

Will go on, so don't blow it.

I've been meaning to ask, Robin.  Is this a poem that you created?  It's very nice; the haiku was about my limit!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I just finished Whistling in the Dark   by Tamara Allen.  This was an enjoyable book set in post WW1 era New York City.  The book features two male leads; however, it is not at all graphic as the love scenes are fade to black.  Here's a good review.

"New York, 1919. His career as a concert pianist ended by a war injury, Sutton Albright returns to college, only to be expelled after an affair with a teacher. Unable to face his family, he heads to New York with no plans and little money—only a desire to call his life his own. Jack Bailey’s life has changed as well. After losing his parents in the influenza epidemic, he hopes to save their beloved novelty shop—now his—by advertising on the radio, barely more than a novelty, itself. Sutton lands work in Jack’s corner of the city and the two conclude they couldn’t be less suited for friendship. But when Sutton loses his job, Jack gives him a place to stay. Sutton returns to the piano to play for Jack and finds the intervening months have healed him. The program promises to rescue Jack’s business and Sutton’s career...but success brings its own risks for two men falling in love."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Two great finishes today - Romeo & Juliet, which Shannon and I were buddy-reading, and The High King, the last of the Chronicles of Prydain. We were all sad that it ended! That series had kind of a slow start, but the last two books were just excellent.  Lots of parallels to LOTR, but just a lovely story in its own right.

I'm putting Hunchback of Notre Dame on my iphone so I can listen to it - kind of inspired by all my Phantom-related books.  It's another classic I've never gotten around to reading, and it seems to be about time!

I am really enjoying The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I'm glad you guys talked me into reading it!!  What are some other "best" Neil Gaiman books I will enjoy?

• Like 9

I am really enjoying The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I'm glad you guys talked me into reading it!!  What are some other "best" Neil Gaiman books I will enjoy?

I am also really enjoying it. It's excellent, but not what I expected. There's a certain quality about it I can't put my finger on.

And right now it seems like a cross between Stephen King and Madeleine L'Engle with better writing.

• Like 8

I finished Call the Nurse by Mary J. MacLeod today.  3/5 stars.  It was often rambly and would have been more appropriately named something like Life as an Outsider in the Hebrides.  There wasn't much about the actual nursing she did for the residents on the island.

Now on to Princess Academy: The Forgotten Sisters by Shannon Hale.

It's interesting.  When I read I do not "see" the action or setting in my mind.  I literally see words being written on a chalkboard and erased.  When we did Bradley Childbirth classes when I was pregnant with Cameron I honestly could not do the visualizations.  My brain just doesn't work that way for some reason.  Well, when I read Shannon Hale's books, I see the action and setting in my mind!  She is the absolute only author that happens with.  I don't know why.  It makes reading her books a very unique and extra enjoyable experience for me.

• Like 10

Two great finishes today - Romeo & Juliet, which Shannon and I were buddy-reading, and The High King, the last of the Chronicles of Prydain. We were all sad that it ended! That series had kind of a slow start, but the last two books were just excellent.  Lots of parallels to LOTR, but just a lovely story in its own right.

I'm putting Hunchback of Notre Dame on my iphone so I can listen to it - kind of inspired by all my Phantom-related books.  It's another classic I've never gotten around to reading, and it seems to be about time!

My hands down fave Gaiman book is The Graveyard Book. It is a kids book, but I love it. In fact, if you don't like it don't tell me because I will cry.  Second is Odd and the Frost Giant, also a book for kids.  Then comes American Gods.  American Gods is the book I usually suggest to adults, but really, The Graveyard book has my heart.  I don't care if it is a bit predictable, I don't care if the end gets a tad sentimental, I always feel like it is written from his heart to his children, with all of the fierce love a parent has for a child. See, I am getting teary.... I am such a dork.

So, anyway, those are my suggestions. I haven't read a couple but I have them in the house. I am saving them, lol.

• Like 10

I did read Bobos in Paradise a long time ago and it was pretty good. 

I read this as "B@@bs in Paradise"  :lol: And had to do a double take  :lol:

I've been out of the house ALL day, and I'm unbelievably tired. And I have a ton of stuff running through my head because vacation is getting nearer.  Maybe I'm more tired than I thought.  :scared:

Stacia! We got book mail today and these are some super happy campers. Thank you!! 11163744_10153273078512351_6521805080955

What a bunch of cuties!!

:hurray:  to finishing Romeo and Juliet!  

I tried reading  the first book in the Chronicles of Prydain.  The series is highly praised, but I thought it was just ok.  I find it interesting that you felt it got better in the later books. 

My hands down fave Gaiman book is The Graveyard Book. It is a kids book, but I love it. In fact, if you don't like it don't tell me because I will cry.  Second is Odd and the Frost Giant, also a book for kids.  Then comes American Gods.  American Gods is the book I usually suggest to adults, but really, The Graveyard book has my heart.  I don't care if it is a bit predictable, I don't care if the end gets a tad sentimental, I always feel like it is written from his heart to his children, with all of the fierce love a parent has for a child. See, I am getting teary.... I am such a dork.

So, anyway, those are my suggestions. I haven't read a couple but I have them in the house. I am saving them, lol.

I really enjoyed The Graveyard Book as well!  And I cried at the end!  

• Like 10

:hurray:  to finishing Romeo and Juliet!  

I tried reading  the first book in the Chronicles of Prydain.  The series is highly praised, but I thought it was just ok.  I find it interesting that you felt it got better in the later books. 

I really enjoyed The Graveyard Book as well!  And I cried at the end!  

Yeah, i was pretty meh about the first three books.  The last two were *much* better.

Ok, Graveyard Book it is - if I don't cry till the end, that will be an accomplishment! I cried in the first chapter of Ocean!

• Like 9

Yesterday I finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. (Book #18 for the year) The first time I read through the series, this book was my favorite of them all save the last.  I found it just as enjoyable this time around as the first!  I remember how disappointed I was when I found out how much the movie had left out.  All of the intricate details of the Maurader’s Map, and the intrigue of Sirius Black’s story were so great, and barely touched on in the movie.  And as always I’m reminded of just how great a character and role model Hermione is.  I’m enjoying revisiting the books, especially as we are days away now from our second trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  ONE OF MY FAVORITES!

• Like 7

Yeah, i was pretty meh about the first three books.  The last two were *much* better.

Ok, Graveyard Book it is - if I don't cry till the end, that will be an accomplishment! I cried in the first chapter of Ocean!

It won the Newbery Award, and (I think) when it won he went on a major book tour. At every stop on the tour he read on chapter out loud to the audience. He had them put on youtube, so if you like you can listen to the whole book, read by him, for free on Youtube

https://youtu.be/sOF01vb4Rec

My kids listened to it so much that I bought it on CD for trips. I have given many copies of the book away over the years a gifts.  So, by giving this away, he has actually sold many copies of the book. 

And I should add that even though this book is for kids, and my kids LOVE it with all their hearts, and even though it won awards, it is still a Neil Gaiman book. I was sure it was much too scary for my younger son, but he proved me wrong, lol. I still find Coraline too creepy for me, but my kids love it.

And pssttt....Chrysalis Academy.... look carefully... you might see a familiar face or two in Graveyard Book...maybe.  or not

• Like 9

Yesterday I finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. (Book #18 for the year) The first time I read through the series, this book was my favorite of them all save the last.  I found it just as enjoyable this time around as the first!  I remember how disappointed I was when I found out how much the movie had left out.  All of the intricate details of the Maurader’s Map, and the intrigue of Sirius Black’s story were so great, and barely touched on in the movie.  And as always I’m reminded of just how great a character and role model Hermione is.  I’m enjoying revisiting the books, especially as we are days away now from our second trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  ONE OF MY FAVORITES!

My favorite, too, of the HP series!  I remember so vividly my reaction to it when I was reading it aloud for the first time, all those years ago, especially the big climatic scene in the Shrieking Shack. I loved that Snape became a much more complex character than the 2 dimensional villain he seemed in the first 2 books. The scene in the movie didn't carry the same punch, but other than that disappointment it remains one of my favorite movies of the series, too. And I love Lupin.  So much!  I wanted so much more of him and Sirius in the later books. 

Have fun at Wizarding World, and be sure toast your friends with a mug of butter beer at the 3 Broomsticks!!

Jane, I have finally gotten my hands on an Aurelio Zen mystery and am enjoying it immensely! 

• Like 8

Oh, my gosh, me, too!

That's also my second favorite with my favorite being the last one.  It still bothers me that the origin of the Marauder's Map was left out of the movie.  It would have taken 30 seconds and in a 2 1/2 hour movie that's not much to add!  I've been thinking I need to read Harry Potter again.  There are two series that re-reading is like hugging a friend I haven't seen in years.  Harry Potter and the Deltora Quest series (Emily Rodda).  Sometimes I feel like Gus on Psych.  I have to read Harry Potter every year to say centered.

• Like 7

I did too! But I wasn't going to say anything. Glad I'm not the only one.

I've already cried several times reading this book. And decided that anyone who thinks their kids are "free range" doesn't know what they're talking about.  :laugh:

It's also my favorite of the series. I haven't read them in a few years but I've actually been thinking about it this year. It just feels like it's been too long.

• Like 8

My likes aren't always working, I am not near our limit so not sure what's wrong. I still can't multiquote

Noseinabook your kids are adorable!

Angel, have a great holiday at the Wizarding World.....I love the first four HP books pretty equally but the first is the best imo. Everything is new, every single bit of it. The others just improve what we already know.

Haven't had time to read. I might be able to later today in the car on our way to the next round of tests. High possibility of road closure again, we are just going to a hotel for the night.

• Like 8

I ended up getting The Girls of Atomic City for my non-fiction read. It ended up so far being an interesting choice for totally different reasons than what I thought. The first girl we meet is from Shenandoah PA. She is of an age that makes me pretty sure she went to school with my grandmother. I wish my grandmother was still alive so I could ask

• Like 7

Yes! I love The Graveyard Book. Love it. I've read M is for Magic (collection of short stories), The Graveyard Book, The Ocean, and Anansi Boys. Graveyard Book is my favorite and Ocean is my second. 

• Like 8

It won the Newbery Award, and (I think) when it won he went on a major book tour. At every stop on the tour he read on chapter out loud to the audience. He had them put on youtube, so if you like you can listen to the whole book, read by him, for free on Youtube

https://youtu.be/sOF01vb4Rec

My kids listened to it so much that I bought it on CD for trips. I have given many copies of the book away over the years a gifts.  So, by giving this away, he has actually sold many copies of the book. 

And I should add that even though this book is for kids, and my kids LOVE it with all their hearts, and even though it won awards, it is still a Neil Gaiman book. I was sure it was much too scary for my younger son, but he proved me wrong, lol. I still find Coraline too creepy for me, but my kids love it.

And pssttt....Chrysalis Academy.... look carefully... you might see a familiar face or two in Graveyard Book...maybe.  or not

Now I'm intrigued . . . 

• Like 4

I've already cried several times reading this book. And decided that anyone who thinks their kids are "free range" doesn't know what they're talking about.  :laugh:

It's funny, I was thinking last night that the comparison to Stephen King is very apt, in that they are two authors that put you inside the head of a kid in a way that feels super real - albeit super creepy and disturbing.  Yet, their kids aren't "normal" kids.  I mean, I have girls not boys, but I wouldn't say they sound or behave like a kid in a Stephen King or Neil Gaiman novel, ever, (Thank goodness!) yet somehow the feel/voice just seems so real.  And reminds you about childhood, things you've forgotten, things you've blocked out . . .  I guess that's Truth speaking.

• Like 7

Chrysalis Academy, I've never met a Gaiman book I didn't like but Graveyard Book is an excellent choice!

Stacia, Tiny Library is super cool! Athena (pink tank top) will be thrilled about that. Both girls have spent the morning drawing and painting fairies and mermaids after finishing up their schoolwork. They spent most of yesterday afternoon doing the same while their brothers dug a hole to China in the backyard and filled a million toy dump trucks with the loose dirt.

Finished Summer Sisters which was fabulous, as always. I don't know why I love it so much but I do! Starting Changeless by Gail Carriger this morning. 

• Like 7

A few days ago, I re-read Shana Galen's The Making of a Gentleman (Sons of the Revolution). I enjoyed revisiting it.

The hero of this historical romance has lost the ability to speak due to traumatic events (being imprisoned for some twelve years); the heroine is hired to be his tutor in speech and manners.

From Publishers Weekly:

"Galen's second Sons of the Revolution Regency romance (after The Making of a Duchess) hooks the reader from the start with a unique plot. Felicity Bennett is hired as a tutor to Armand Harcourt, the comte de Valère, who has spent the last 12 of his 23 years in a Parisian prison following the French Revolution. Armand seems to have lost the ability to speak, and his brother, Julien, believes the pretty young governess might be able to help him recover. As Armand begins to make progress, the attraction between him and Felicity becomes intense and sultry. Their personal growth lags behind the development of their relationship, but Galen compensates for the one-dimensional characters with plenty of mystery, intrigue, passionate romance, and a knack for bringing the historical setting to life."

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

It's funny, I was thinking last night that the comparison to Stephen King is very apt, in that they are two authors that put you inside the head of a kid in a way that feels super real - albeit super creepy and disturbing.  Yet, their kids aren't "normal" kids.  I mean, I have girls not boys, but I wouldn't say they sound or behave like a kid in a Stephen King or Neil Gaiman novel, ever, (Thank goodness!) yet somehow the feel/voice just seems so real.  And reminds you about childhood, things you've forgotten, things you've blocked out . . .  I guess that's Truth speaking.

I was thinking last night about a moment I don't want to mention because it's a spoiler, where I thought these parents really pay no attention to their kids at all. It made me wonder how much of it was "real", i.e. the greater independence of children in previous generations, how much was just so the story could even take place at all, and how much was about the perception of children of the "grown up world" and how far away it seems when you're a child. 

• Like 5

Tomorrow is Independent Bookstore Day, a nationwide expansion of the successful California Bookstore Day which started last year. My favorite little independent bookstore will once again be offering some of the special art, book bags and books as part of the party.  I love the design for the California book bags, and plan on getting to my bookstore early enough so I can snag this year's version.

Anyway, in case you need an excuse to support your favorite independent bookstore, tomorrow is a great day to do so!!

• Like 6

Tomorrow is Independent Bookstore Day, a nationwide expansion of the successful California Bookstore Day which started last year. My favorite little independent bookstore will once again be offering some of the special art, book bags and books as part of the party.  I love the design for the California book bags, and plan on getting to my bookstore early enough so I can snag this year's version.

Thanks! I didn't know about this and I just checked our local bookstore and they're having author discussions, giveaways, etc. The kids have been fixated on Free Comic Book Day, which is also tomorrow. We'll have to make two stops, then.  :)

• Like 7

I was thinking last night about a moment I don't want to mention because it's a spoiler, where I thought these parents really pay no attention to their kids at all. It made me wonder how much of it was "real", i.e. the greater independence of children in previous generations, how much was just so the story could even take place at all, and how much was about the perception of children of the "grown up world" and how far away it seems when you're a child. 

I'm not quite finished - close, I should finish today - but I'm struck by Lettie's explanation of how the grown-up world works (this isn't a spoiler):

"I'm going to tell you something important. Grown-ups don't look like grown-ups on the inside either. Outside, they're big and thoughtless and they always know what they're doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. The truth is, there aren't any grown-ups. Not one, in the whole wide world."

and by the boy's (why do I want to call him Neil?) absolutely gut-wrenching description of childhood:

"I do not miss childhood, but I miss the way I took pleasure in small things, even as greater things crumbled. I could not control the world I was in, could not walk away from things or people or moments that hurt, but I found joy in the things that made me happy."

Where's that tears-rolling-down-the-face emoticon???

• Like 8

Well, if you read any interviews with Gaiman, and this presupposes that what an author says about a work has any more weight than anyone else, a conversation I am always happy to have, he says he was trying to capture what it felt for him be a child. And he wanted to capture the feeling of the land because that is gone. The area is developed now.

A lodger of their did commit suicide in a car on the property of their home, but he didn't know about it until he was maybe 40s. So,that information was kept from the children.

• Like 8

Well, if you read any interviews with Gaiman, and this presupposes that what an author says about a work has any more weight than anyone else, a conversation I am always happy to have, he says he was trying to capture what it felt for him be a child. And he wanted to capture the feeling of the land because that is gone. The area is developed now.

A lodger of their did commit suicide in a car on the property of their home, but he didn't know about it until he was maybe 40s. So,that information was kept from the children.

I finished the book this morning and read the interview at the end of the book. I think he did capture most of the feeling of the land, although my personal opinion (and who am I to contradict Gaiman?) is that to capture the feel of a lost land one needs more botanical information. I would have loved to hear more about the native plants, not just the ones planted around the house and in the fields. But that's just me and my own preference. As soon as stories are set in England I want to hear about wild roses, heather, and peat.  ;)

• Like 8

Just finished Arcadia and read about half of one thousand gifts and skimmed the test. It was very repetitive although I like the first bit. Arcadia was wonderful. Exactly the kind of book I like, richly drawn,sympathetic characters, long winding story....going to try We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves next. Writing from my smart phone sitting in a disney water park as dh runs around with the kids while I......read...

ETA: edited for smartphone typos!

• Like 6