Menu

Palin-mania?

That is not accurate at all. It's because she's a real person with character and an incredible record to boot. Most people that talk about her attractiveness do it because they are scared that Palin could threaten the Dems. chance of winning.

You really believe if Palin looked like this ShelinTexas017.jpg

She would be on the cover of People Magazine?

Hmmm, I don't believe I said I would vote for a candidate based only on whether or not I think they're a nice person or I like them.:glare: I did say I'd have a hard time voting for Hillary even if I did agree with her politics. But I don't agree. There are certain issues on which I find her views less detestable than others, but that's it. I wouldn't vote for someone running against her based solely on whether or not they were nice or good looking--in fact, not at all based upon whether or not they're good looking. (Hillary isn't bad herself.)

As for this laughing at someone who was a cancer survivor or at her being called a b****, I haven't heard anything about that. From what I've seen, every one of these people has done or said something at one time or another that I don't like. For that matter, I've said and done things of which I'm not proud, including a little nasty name calling. Come to think of it, I've called a cancer survivor a nasty name. It had nothing to do with them being a cancer survivor.:001_huh: I'm not defending Palin, though. I have no idea what this reference is regarding. Care to link. 'Cause I haven't seen and heard enough nasty already. Maybe I'll watch/listen/read it later. Right now I've got to go watch that season premiere of Bones.

You really believe if Palin looked like this ShelinTexas017.jpg

She would be on the cover of People Magazine?

Yes. It's not what she looks like. She took on her own state corruptions and cleaned it up. She battled her own party. She reduced taxes and cut waste. She oversees the state of Alaska and manages a budget of 11 billion a year and the national guard.

I think her ability to get the job done while still being well-liked is more of an asset than her beauty.

Really? Even the ones who were talking about trying out her hairstyle?

Truthfully, as one who is on the other side of the aisle, I can say that the selection of Palin may be about as energizing to the Democrats as it is to the Replublicans. Even those of us who were lukewarm about the Obama/Biden ticket are having such a negative reaction against Ms. Palin that we're throwing ourselves into campaigning more enthusiastically. I was with some folks on Sunday who were passing out Obama/Biden bumper stickers and having trouble keeping up with the demand.

And, for me, it has nothing to do with feeling threatened and everything to do with Ms. Palin and her positions. While I would never have voted for McCain, I wasn't worried that the country would be in imminent danger with him as president. I believe he is a thoughtful, intelligent, honorable man with whom I simply disagree about many issues. Ms. Palin, though, appalls me, and her political positions are about as far opposite from my own views as it is possible to be.

While I would have halfheartedly voted for Obama/Biden, I now feel it my duty to emphatically vote against McCain/Palin.

I couldn't have said it better! :iagree:

Yes. It's not what she looks like. She took on her own state corruptions and cleaned it up. She battled her own party. She reduced taxes and cut waste. She oversees the state of Alaska and manages a budget of 11 billion a year and the national guard.

I think her ability to get the job done while still being well-liked is more of an asset than her beauty.

I gather you don't read People Magazine then? :001_huh:

As for this laughing at someone who was a cancer survivor or at her being called a b****, I haven't heard anything about that. From what I've seen, every one of these people has done or said something at one time or another that I don't like. For that matter, I've said and done things of which I'm not proud, including a little nasty name calling. Come to think of it, I've called a cancer survivor a nasty name. It had nothing to do with them being a cancer survivor.:001_huh: I'm not defending Palin, though. I have no idea what this reference is regarding. Care to link. 'Cause I haven't seen and heard enough nasty already. Maybe I'll watch/listen/read it later. Right now I've got to go watch that season premiere of Bones.

This is a radio show on which, from what I understand, she was frequently a guest, so she knew what to expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_23HhsKOQQ&feature=related

I'll bet atleast 8 of those pages were people dredging up rumors or condemning her. Not so much Palin-mania. There was Obama-mania for a while and most of us were fine with it. shrug.

This seems kind of harsh. I was asking in earnest, because I am a bit surprised by the volume of post titles having to do with this vice presidential candidate. I didn't comment one way or the other on whether the posts were positive or negative, because that was really beside the point. And, I didn't make comparisons between Palin and Obama, because one is a Presidential candidate while the other is a VP. My comments were not anchored in any sort of agenda about her, but I can't say I get that sense from your post.

For the record, a quick search for Obama turned up 20 hits and McCain had 16. As a control, I searched for the word "coupon" and found that there were 53 posts. So, I guess I could infer that the search is working accurately and that what we're really most interested in is saving money. ;)

No, I don't and not Us Weekly either.

Well, they don't tend to put people on the front for their "achievements"; I'm including the Obamas on this. You are so wrapped up in your excitement, your missing the spin. Your missing why she was really picked.

McCain is really rather liberal compared to Palin, so it will be interesting to see if he lets her have any real say/power in his administration. I'm rather bemused at all these people who really disliked McCain, but are not so excited because of Palin. Unless McCain dies, she will see little to no action. Dick Cheney has been a very unusual VP.

McCain is really rather liberal compared to Palin, so it will be interesting to see if he lets her have any real say/power in his administration. I'm rather bemused at all these people who really disliked McCain, but are not so excited because of Palin. Unless McCain dies, she will see little to no action. Dick Cheney has been a very unusual VP.

That's what I keep thinking?

Personally I liked the fact that she asked "What does the VP do all day?" To me it said "I'm busy in Alaska, why should I give up serving here and come there?"

I don't think the timing is right for Mrs. Palin, though I like her very much. I don't like how she allowed herself to be represented last night at all. She should have written her speech, perhaps. I fear that by thrusting her on the national scene at this point in her career, Mr McCain may have destroyed her future prospects.

I will be shocked if she has any real influence on our country.

I wish the ticket were flipped.

Maybe we are not missing the spin. Maybe we (or just me:)) are just realistic about politics, and why people are chosen or not, and want to take our chances with the closest thing to a libertarian on a presidential ticket since Barry Goldwater. What if she IS influential? What if she is the future of the party? And, for what it is worth, while her good looks are an asset in some ways, they have also been detrimental. Many have refused to take her seriously because of it, or have been spiteful out of jealousy. Being a good looking woman is not always a bed of roses (not that I know from personal experience, but we probably all know women for whom this has been true).

Well, they don't tend to put people on the front for their "achievements"; I'm including the Obamas on this. You are so wrapped up in your excitement, your missing the spin. Your missing why she was really picked.

Okay, I may end up sounding sexist after this, which I am not. I simply can not get over the fact that she is the mother of 5 children, one an infant with special needs. How can she possibly do the job of the VP AND be a mother? Perhaps I am not that talented, perhaps I put too much into the two children I have, but I just can't relate to her. I liked her after hearing her speech, but seeing her hold her infant son, I thought "what do you do when the baby is up all night?" Is her husband giving up fishing in Alaska to take care of the children? We don't all have to be homeschooling mothers, or even stay at home moms, but how can she do both really well? I for one would be distracted. And honestly, I have a hard time respecting a woman who would put the country before her children. Is that horrible for me to say? Can anyone else relate to what I'm thinking, or am I alone?

Okay, I may end up sounding sexist after this, which I am not. I simply can not get over the fact that she is the mother of 5 children, one an infant with special needs. How can she possibly do the job of the VP AND be a mother? Perhaps I am not that talented, perhaps I put too much into the two children I have, but I just can't relate to her. I liked her after hearing her speech, but seeing her hold her infant son, I thought "what do you do when the baby is up all night?" Is her husband giving up fishing in Alaska to take care of the children? We don't all have to be homeschooling mothers, or even stay at home moms, but how can she do both really well? I for one would be distracted. And honestly, I have a hard time respecting a woman who would put the country before her children. Is that horrible for me to say? Can anyone else relate to what I'm thinking, or am I alone?

She had a nanny in AK, so I imagine she would have a nanny (and a husband who would help a great deal, I'm sure) and all the help she would need just for the asking.

One thing I have been thinking about the "mother of five children" thing. The oldest is not a child anymore, and the second will soon be independent. The third is a teenager. That is two young children. Her choices are not the choices I would have made, but I think she will have plenty of help, and I expect Piper and Trig will be frequently hanging at the office just like they did when she was governor. It is not like she is going to be dropping them off at daycare. Dad and a host of helpers will be involved. I feel free to not micromanage their lives.

One thing I have been thinking about the "mother of five children" thing. The oldest is not a child anymore' date=' and the second will soon be independent. The third is a teenager. That is two young children. [i']Her choices are not the choices I would have made,[/i] but I think she will have plenty of help, and I expect Piper and Trig will be frequently hanging at the office just like they did when she was governor. It is not like she is going to be dropping them off at daycare. Dad and a host of helpers will be involved. I feel free to not micromanage their lives.

And Piper will keep Trig's hair neat and tidy, so that is one less worry for Mrs. Palin.

Sorry, that was just my favorite moment.

And Piper will keep Trig's hair neat and tidy, so that is one less worry for Mrs. Palin.

Sorry, that was just my favorite moment.

It was precious! I noticed that for many of us moms of many, it was just the way things are, and adorable. Reading the comments on some news articles though, some people found it to be appalling- "See, she has no control over her huge litter of kids!" :lol::lol::lol:

I must agree that moment of hand licking, hair smoothing was absolutely precious! I don't mean to sound like I'm "micromanaging" their lives. I just simply can't relate to doing a job that would require so much time away from my family.

:iagree:

She's the anti-Hillary (without even trying) :)

Which is reason alone to like her. LOL

Sorry, but I can't stand Hillary at. all. My distaste for her began during 9/11 when she was caught on camera, frequently rolling her eyes when Guilliani or Bush were speaking, making the smirk she often wears, or "applauding" in such a way that made it clear, she was NOT applauding. I found her behavior to be completely disrespectful and rude. I don't care who is president, for a senator to behave in such a way publicly is classless. I don't care who is president, the office deserves respect and the man (or woman!) in the office deserves respectful treatment, regardless of personal feelings.

As for Palin, from what I've seen, I like her. I'm not overly concerned about her pregnant daughter and I wouldn't be overly concerned about it if it were Obama's 17 year old daughter. I'm not an Obama supporter, but I do agree with his stance that the children need to be kept out of the election.

This is, by far, the most interesting election season in my memory.

This seems kind of harsh. I was asking in earnest, because I am a bit surprised by the volume of post titles having to do with this vice presidential candidate. I didn't comment one way or the other on whether the posts were positive or negative, because that was really beside the point. And, I didn't make comparisons between Palin and Obama, because one is a Presidential candidate while the other is a VP. My comments were not anchored in any sort of agenda about her, but I can't say I get that sense from your post.

For the record, a quick search for Obama turned up 20 hits and McCain had 16. As a control, I searched for the word "coupon" and found that there were 53 posts. So, I guess I could infer that the search is working accurately and that what we're really most interested in is saving money. ;)

Your post had as much as an agenda as mine, Doran. Palin-mania refers to maniacs hence not a compliment. I think my post was a valid point and not harsh. There were and are as many anti-Palin posts as positive. I wasn't slamming Obama. Obamans (is that a word?) are loving him. That's great. I don't have a problem with it. I think some here do have a problem with us liking Palin. I've felt semi-attacked from people on here that normally would not respond this way. I understand it's election time and emotions are high so I'm letting it mostly roll off my back. But I can still speak my mind.

And I'm glad we still want to save money cuz that's just the kind of gals we are. :D

This is a radio show on which, from what I understand, she was frequently a guest, so she knew what to expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_23HhsKOQQ&feature=related

Okay, I don't get what is so horrible about that. She didn't say any of it and I thought the laugh sounded more like a nervous or embarrassed laugh of someone who wasn't quite sure how to respond. She may have even personally thought the other lady was a b**** but would not have said it out loud. Again, just my interpretation from the way it sounded and the way I would feel in such a situation.

What? Just because someone is a cancer survivor they can't be a b****? That isn't mocking what she's been through and neither is the comment of this woman being a "cancer" on the Alaska state government. Though perhaps given her personal circumstances that was a poor choice of words, if she had not been a cancer survivor I doubt anyone would be making a big deal of it. It is a legitimate use for the word.

I don't think that segment came off at all as though Sarah Palin is heartless and unfeeling about some woman who is a cancer survivor. Though again, I think that whole cancer survivor thing is really being played up for more than it's worth--and I have several family members who are cancer survivors, are battling cancer currently, and have died of cancer. At one point she even said, "Wow" as a statement of surprise, kinda like "That was a bit harsh". I suppose she could have spoken out against those statements, but I don't think less of her for not doing so. I might have thought less of her if she had said those things herself on the air. I couldn't really fault her for actually saying those kinds of things if she had since, as I already mentioned, I've said them myself. It may not be right, but I think it's very human to react by saying unkind things of an opponent or (in my case anyway) someone who indeed has been a b**** to you. I do hope that most of us can control ourselves and keep from saying those things so publicly, but some radio hosts only seem to gain popularity by being blunt and saying things most of us would not.

Okay, I don't get what is so horrible about that. She didn't say any of it and I thought the laugh sounded more like a nervous or embarrassed laugh of someone who wasn't quite sure how to respond. She may have even personally thought the other lady was a b**** but would not have said it out loud. Again, just my interpretation from the way it sounded and the way I would feel in such a situation.

What? Just because someone is a cancer survivor they can't be a b****? That isn't mocking what she's been through and neither is the comment of this woman being a "cancer" on the Alaska state government. Though perhaps given her personal circumstances that was a poor choice of words, if she had not been a cancer survivor I doubt anyone would be making a big deal of it. It is a legitimate use for the word.

I don't think that segment came off at all as though Sarah Palin is heartless and unfeeling about some woman who is a cancer survivor. Though again, I think that whole cancer survivor thing is really being played up for more than it's worth--and I have several family members who are cancer survivors, are battling cancer currently, and have died of cancer. At one point she even said, "Wow" as a statement of surprise, kinda like "That was a bit harsh". I suppose she could have spoken out against those statements, but I don't think less of her for not doing so. I might have thought less of her if she had said those things herself on the air. I couldn't really fault her for actually saying those kinds of things if she had since, as I already mentioned, I've said them myself. It may not be right, but I think it's very human to react by saying unkind things of an opponent or (in my case anyway) someone who indeed has been a b**** to you. I do hope that most of us can control ourselves and keep from saying those things so publicly, but some radio hosts only seem to gain popularity by being blunt and saying things most of us would not.

Word. :D

:iagree: As usual, Jenni!

I guess we'll have to disagree on that. I thought it was handled very unprofessionally. I can only imagine what would happen if the superintendent of schools behaved like that about a board member, and we're talking about a much bigger position in her case. I would hope that even a principal or teacher of a school could figure out a better way to handle it than she did.

What? Just because someone is a cancer survivor they can't be a b****? That isn't mocking what she's been through and neither is the comment of this woman being a "cancer" on the Alaska state government.

The point in pointing out that she is a cancer survivor was that she was called a "cancer." I'm not one who likes the use of the word "cancer" like this anyway, but in the case of a cancer survivor, I think it's even worse. It doesn't surprise me to hear a radio personality doing it. However, it does surprise me to hear the governor of a state publicly laughing about it.

As far as being professional, I'm *SICK* of professional politicians. I'm *SICK* of business as usual in Washington. I am so excited about Palin because she is not those things.

repeating what I said in another thread:

She's a breath of fresh air -- or a whirlwind, depending on your pov. I have referred to her as Hurricane Sarah from day 1 of her introduction. She is going to take Washington by storm -- at least this is my prayer.

She was just on tv being interviewed while braiding her daughter's hair. How cool is that?

She's authentic and doesn't give a rip what you think of her. She is not driven by polls, or the winds of pop-culture. She knows who she is and who she works for. So does McCain.

She is not corrupted by oil interests. She does not make knee-jerk reaction/decisions. She doesn't just talk the talk, but walks the walk.

As she said last night, she's done more as a Mayor of a small town than Obama ever did as a "community organizer" -- whatever that is.

One will need to find some more ammunition to use against her than what has been offered thus far.

As for the bandwagon, I'm front & center!

Ride, Sarah, Ride!!:auto:

As she said last night, she's done more as a Mayor of a small town than Obama ever did as a "community organizer" -- whatever that is.

What makes you think she did more? I posted this elsewhere but I'll paste it here:

As far comparing his community organizing with her being a mayor? When he was working as a community organizer she was a beauty queen. When he was serving as president of the Harvard law review she was a sportscaster. When he was leading voter registration drives, teaching Constitutional law and working as a civil rights attorney she was serving on the city council. He was elected to the Illinois state senate (13th district), she was elected mayor. EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND people live in that district compared to 6,500 or so who lived in that small town in Alaska at the time. Obama was sworn into the national Senate in 2005. Over 12,400,000 people live in Illinois. Palin was sworn in as governor in December of 2006, the population of Alaska is around 627,000 people.

anti-Hillary, LOL, now I have to say I like that characterization.....

And did I say I think she's *interesting*? Ah, well, simple minds are easily amused, I suppose.....

This is JUST A JOKE alright? But I have to say it in light of recent threads...

Anti-Hillary?

Or

Anti-Christ?

:lol: Alright, I"ve tickled myself. (this is in reference to all those ridiculous Obama is the antichrist stories I"ve seen lately).

Yep, my life is seriously lacking.

What makes you think she did more? I posted this elsewhere but I'll paste it here:

As far comparing his community organizing with her being a mayor? When he was working as a community organizer she was a beauty queen. When he was serving as president of the Harvard law review she was a sportscaster. When he was leading voter registration drives, teaching Constitutional law and working as a civil rights attorney she was serving on the city council. He was elected to the Illinois state senate (13th district), she was elected mayor. EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND people live in that district compared to 6,500 or so who lived in that small town in Alaska at the time. Obama was sworn into the national Senate in 2005. Over 12,400,000 people live in Illinois. Palin was sworn in as governor in December of 2006, the population of Alaska is around 627,000 people.

More people live in the north metro area of Atl (were I reside) than in all of Alaska. :lol:

Oh, you mean when Obama was teaching classes on race & gender? Yes I knew that, and I'm NOT impressed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/30/us/politics/30law.html

You are against a law professor teaching about Constitutional rights with regard to race and gender to law students? :001_huh:

At a school where economic analysis was all the rage, he taught rights, race and gender.

At the school, Mr. Obama taught three courses, ascending to senior lecturer, a title otherwise carried only by a few federal judges. His most traditional course was in the due process and equal protection areas of constitutional law. His voting rights class traced the evolution of election law, from the disenfranchisement of blacks to contemporary debates over districting and campaign finance. Mr. Obama was so interested in the subject that he helped Richard Pildes, a professor at New York University, develop a leading casebook in the field.

His initial community work was in helping developing job training and tutoring programs as well as a tenant organization. Later on his community work was with disenfranchised voters, organizing voter registrations drives. It impresses me a heck of a lot more than being a beauty queen or sportscaster.

Don't forget the 820 bills sponsored in the state senate. Or the 427 he co-sponsored in the US senate. Or the 152 that he sponsored (ETA: or authored, not sure which, perhaps a mix of both? LisaK's quick glance figures at least 127 were probably authored by Sen. Obama) in the US senate.

One can see his US Senate record here.

Here are the current bills he's sponsoring. I think you have to click on him name using the dropdown box.

(Equal time, here are the current bills Sen. McCain is sponsoring. :D Again, click the name.)

Don't forget the 820 bills sponsored in the state senate. Or the 427 he co-sponsored in the US senate. Or the 152 that he authored in the US senate.

One can see his US Senate record here.

Here are the current bills he's sponsoring. I think you have to click on him name using the dropdown box.

(Equal time, here are the current bills Sen. McCain is sponsoring. :D Again, click the name.)

Just to clarify this for a bit -- I've been working most of the day, and I wanted to double check Riddick's first -- to make sure my memory of the system hadn't changed since my intern days... in 1989.

FWIW, a sponsor of a bill didn't necessarilly author or introduce it -- in fact, most sponsorships are of the "me too" variety. The difference between a sponsor and a co-sponsor is when someone said "me too."

A sponsor is listed at the time the bill is introduced to the senate, and a co-sponsor is added once the legislation has already been introduced.

On the house side (which is where I interned), sponsorships usually happened something like this:

Legislative Director from Cong. Barr's office is approached by Legislative Director from Cong. Dornan's office. Dornan's LD informs Barr's LD that they are going to introduce a piece of legislation on education reform -- does Barr's LD think the Congressman would be interested. Knowing his boss wants to be involved in ed reform, the LD says I believe he would, let me see the draft.

LD reads the draft, talks with the LA about the bill, and then the LD refers the bill to the Congressman and says, I think you should sponsor this. At that point, depending upon the author, his faith in the LD, and perhaps a cursory skim -- the Congressman says Yup, this is a good idea.

The Cong asks the AA to draft an "I'd love to sponsor your bill" and it's sent off to the other office.

Now, at times, the author Congressman will approach a potential sponsor Congressman directly -- and the then the Congressman usually sends it to the LD and LA in charge of that area. It depends upon the Congressman how this is handled -- this is just how it usually happened in the office I interned (no, it wasn't Barr or Dornan's office).

For a co-sponsorship, it was even less formal. They just sent a copy of the bill along with a "please co-sponsor this legislation" to pretty much everyone they thought might. Usually the LD didn't even have to ask the Congressman about co-sponsoring something, they just took care of it.

In a Senate Office, they usually have quite a few more LD's... so the process might be a bit different.

All in all, though how many pieces of legislation a person puts his name to -- either as a sponsor or a co-sponsor -- really doesn't say much about what they do. It's more about how many things they want to appear to be doing.

Most sponsors and co-sponsors are really not doing much more than signing a petition (and essentially committing to vote for something).

KWIM?

Edited to add: According to www.thomas.gov, it appears that Obama (a quick glance, shows he is the sole sponsor -- which usually indicates authorship) sponsored 129 pieces of legislation this session, compared to 38 for McCain.

Please keep in mind, that not all legislation is "equal" -- some of it includes things like "National Summer Learning Day" asking for commemorative stamps, recognizing achievements, etc. -- also, more doesn't always mean better.

Obama seems to have been a very active senator -- and that's great. The zeal he's thrown into his work is admirable. I may not agree with some of what he's sponsored (I'd have to read them more closely), but you have to admire the amount of time it appears he's put into his job prior to running for President :D

I have to say, I'd enjoy sitting in a class with Barak as the instructor. I might not agree with everything he said, but it would certainly be a very well presented and interesting take.

One of my very best instructors in High School (before I elected to spend my final two years in school at home) was extremely liberal. BUT, she always appreciated good discussion -- even if it went against her beliefs.

I had to write an essay (in class) on The Supreme Court -- she submitted it for a state award, and it was very much against her position.

I get the feeling that, Obama, in a class situation would appreciate good, thoughtful discussion and wouldn't penalize a student for thinking or believing differently. Now, that's just an impression -- I'd actually have to take a class with him to know for certain :D

All in all, though how many pieces of legislation a person puts his name to -- either as a sponsor or a co-sponsor -- really doesn't say much about what they do. It's more about how many things they want to appear to be doing.

Most sponsors and co-sponsors are really not doing much more than signing a petition (and essentially committing to vote for something).

KWIM?

Edited to add: According to www.thomas.gov, it appears that Obama (a quick glance, shows he is the sole sponsor -- which usually indicates authorship) sponsored 129 pieces of legislation this session, compared to 38 for McCain.

Please keep in mind, that not all legislation is "equal" -- some of it includes things like "National Summer Learning Day" asking for commemorative stamps, recognizing achievements, etc. -- also, more doesn't always mean better.

Obama seems to have been a very active senator -- and that's great. The zeal he's thrown into his work is admirable. I may not agree with some of what he's sponsored (I'd have to read them more closely), but you have to admire the amount of time it appears he's put into his job prior to running for President :D

Oh, ok. I'll go back and change "author" to "sponsor." That will be more accurate, correct? Based on the idea that sponsor doesn't equal author necessarily? Anyway, off I go. :auto:

Thanks for the info!