Menu

Does a possibly broken toe require a Dr visit?

UncleEJ

DD dropped a large, heavy wooden toy on her big toe this morning. The toe is swollen and turning purple-ish. She won't bend it and cries every time she walks. I'm thinking it may be broken. But does that require a dr visit? I mean, what are they going to do? Ugh, it is always something! What would you do?

• Like 1

Big toe?  Yes, I would consider a doctor visit for an x-ray.  If it is broken and doesn't heal properly, it can affect them for the rest of their lives. 

If it's broken they will likely cast the foot, if it's severely broken or broken in more than one place, pins may be required to keep things in place as they heal. 

ETA: Posting as one who doesn't go to the doctor for much and is always reticent to do so.  DS broke his little toe in January and we treated it at home, but the big toe is much more serious and I would take a child in for it.

• Like 5

Your thread brought back memories of many years ago when I was young and single. I had a  very heavy wood dining room table. I don't know what I was thinking, but by accident I smashed my foot into the center base of the table. It hurt like....     I called the friend I'd purchased medical insurance from and he didn't think they would be able to do anything, if I went to the E.R.   I believe he was correct.   I broke 2 or 3 fingers, playing Baseball, and they put splints on them, but I don't think they can or will put a splint on a toe.  You might call the E.R. and bounce this off of them to be sure. I am certain your DD has a lot of genuine pain and possibly you should give her an Aspirin or something to reduce the swelling and pain.

• Like 3

I have to say if it was my kiddo, yes I would definitely take her in.  I did break my big toe and the toe next to it (same foot, different times) when I was a young teenager.  I didn't go to the doctor for either one.The big toe is fine today, the one next to it is permanently crooked (doesn't really cause an issue unless I'm painting my toenails) and it does hurt sometimes still.

• Like 2

Our pediatrician says even though they don't do much for a broken toe, it really needs to be x-rayed and diagnosed properly in case there are complications. If I remember correctly, when it happened to DS the main problem the doc was worried about was the possibility of an infection developing.

• Like 3

I had this exact issue when dd was 2.5...I thought it was a bit of an overreaction for a toe, but when I called the pediatrician insisted we should come in for an X-ray. For several reasons. Broken toes in small tots can be more serious. If it is displaced it may actually be necessary to surgically repair it in littles! Who knew? Our ped also mentioned the fact that it was a really good idea to have anything like that documented in the records 'just in case.'

The good thing is they have space between their toe bones so hopefully it landed there, as it did on my dd. It was huge and blue, and I would have sworn it was broken but ended up being fine.

I came in prepared to say no - I almost certainly broke my toe when I was 11. It also got banged, swelled up for days, couldn't bend. We didn't have insurance. My mom called someone she knew who was a nurse who said, meh, just let it heal. And it took a couple of months to be really right again, but it did just heal without any help.

But a three yo... I think I'd take her. Like others are saying, she's so little and that can mean extra issues for things like this sometimes. She's not going to be clear enough to talk to you about how it's healing either. She doesn't have enough context. So I'd go in.

• Like 3

Take her in right away.

You really don't know where the break might have occurred and you don't know if the bone has been displaced unless you get an x-ray. Chances are they will just say to keep the foot immobile in an orthopedic boot. However, if there is displacement or a nerve being pinched or blood flow restriction, the consequences could be pretty dire. It's well worth getting it looked at by a doctor.

• Like 1

Yes, take her. I probably broke mine when I was a teenager and never went to the dr., but it was agony. At minimum, the nail should have been drained.

Yes. I really don't know what they can do, but because I didn't know if they could do anything I never went to the doctor and I regret it every day. I think I broke my big toe a couple of times as a child and young adult. It aches incredibly if I have been walking, and in cold weather. In the last year it's become a constant niggling problem. I keep meaning to go and see a doctor about it now, and see if there is anything they can do.

I hope you were able to get her seen yesterday,  and if not, at least by today.  Children that are still growing can have damage done to the growth plate areas that absolutely have to be healed correctly.  I personally am quick to take a child in if the suspected injury is to the toe or finger even though "they don't do anything". 

My daughter has been in a boot 3 different times because the fracture that should have been in the toe in theory (cause when you kick a chair you would think the toe would break) was really farther into the foot.  She's also broken a finger that really was a minor stress fracture that still landed her splinted for 4 wks.  A friend of hers had almost an identical sounding injury (they were gymnast) ended up in surgery because the fracture wouldn't stay put.

These are our children's bodies that have to hold up for the next 80-90 years.  What is a minor injury to an adult (who I also think should be seen for these extremities), could cause life long issues in your kids.  My daughter is a pianist and an improperly healed broken finger from when she was 10, could have put a serious damper on how far she can go with this passion. 

All that said, big toe injuries ARE treated differently from the rest of the toes.  They are a much more serious issue if broken because they bear so much weight and control balance.

• Like 1

I wasn't able to get her in yesterday, right after my last post we left for soccer and didn't get home until late. And then the forum was down. She isn't up yet this morning, but we will be going in once she wakes up. Thanks for all the advice and I'll update when I know more.

• Like 2

Big toes, yes.  Others, no.  I broke my 3rd toe (and it was turned sideways!) but all they did at ER was xray it (yep, its broken) and tape it to the other toe.  They were nice enough to give me a shoe to wear for a total of $600.  Next time, I broke a toe, I stayed home and did what they had done for the other.  Big toes are different though or so I've heard.