Menu

Do I offer to bring something?

musicianmom

We've been invited to Easter dinner tomorrow by some casual friends. Their background is Italian, and they joke about it being the stereotypical Italian feast of more food than anyone could possibly eat. So do I offer to contribute anything? Bring a host gift? (I don't get out much.)

In my area, it is customary to ask "is there anything I can bring?"   Then people will either assign something or just "just bring yourself(ves) and an appetite!"  When I'm told not to bring anything, I take a bottle of wine, or if they are not drinkers, some nice chocolate.  Sometimes I take flowers in a cheap vase (not a bouquet that the host has to mess with immediately) or a small flowering plant in a decorative pot (that they can plant out, or let die). 

Even when people say not to bring anything, I've never seen anyone actually arrive empty-handed!

• Like 10

I would ask what I could bring.  If they said to bring nothing, I would bring an Eastery type gift such as flowers or chocolate.  

If they do say to bring something, don't foget it!  I had a dinner a few weeks ago and one family offered to bring the beverages and they forgot!  and I didn't have anything but water and milk.

We've been invited to Easter dinner tomorrow by some casual friends. Their background is Italian, and they joke about it being the stereotypical Italian feast of more food than anyone could possibly eat. So do I offer to contribute anything? Bring a host gift? (I don't get out much.)

You may offer, but don't feel that you *must* bring something. You've been invited as a guest, which means, well, you're a *guest.* Your obligation is to show up and be friendly.

Even better than bringing something is to write a thank-you note afterwards. And really, it would also be thoughtful to reciprocate by inviting the hostess to your home for dinner. Alas, this is something that few people, in my experience, do. I'm just throwing it out there. :-)

• Like 4

You may offer, but don't feel that you *must* bring something. You've been invited as a guest, which means, well, you're a *guest.* Your obligation is to show up and be friendly.

Even better than bringing something is to write a thank-you note afterwards. And really, it would also be thoughtful to reciprocate by inviting the hostess to your home for dinner. Alas, this is something that few people, in my experience, do. I'm just throwing it out there. :-)

My recollection may be off, but when I was a kid and my parents invited people over, they just came over. My parents were the hosts and they provided everything.  Then, they were invited over to other homes and they didn't take anything either. There wasn't an obligation to reciprocate, but it was the typical practice.

I know that hostess gifts have been around a long time, but I think the practice of offering to bring something to contribute makes people feel that they don't need to reciprocate.  I'm sure this is not universal and maybe it is just my own experience, badly remembered.  But it does seem that the idea of reciprocating has kind of died away.   But I also know some people who feel they can't invite people over for various reasons, so they try to  make up for it by contributing when they are the guests.

• Like 3

My recollection may be off, but when I was a kid and my parents invited people over, they just came over. My parents were the hosts and they provided everything.  Then, they were invited over to other homes and they didn't take anything either. There wasn't an obligation to reciprocate, but it was the typical practice.

I know that hostess gifts have been around a long time, but I think the practice of offering to bring something to contribute makes people feel that they don't need to reciprocate.  I'm sure this is not universal and maybe it is just my own experience, badly remembered.  But it does seem that the idea of reciprocating has kind of died away.   But I also know some people who feel they can't invite people over for various reasons, so they try to  make up for it by contributing when they are the guests.

You could be right, but I can say that as a hostess that it isn't the same. :-(