Menu

What education-ish stuff are you loving on Netflix right now?

At the moment, mostly Wild Kratts. Before that, Magic School Bus and The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That. Oh, and my youngest watched an episode of SciGirls together with me (about turtles), but I think he's a little on the young side (4), and that I should see if my oldest (7.5) likes it.

We also watched about an hour of Where the Red Fern Grows (the 70s movie, not the 2003 movie) last weekend, but the kids attention started to lapse around 50 min in. I guess we should see if they're interest in finishing it this weekend (I've never seen it nor read the book, so not sure what the second half is like).

Oh, and my youngest has opted for some LeapFrog movies when he was ill and I let him watch a bit too much TV of his choice. Not very educational for him at this point, but maybe he just wanted to see them again because he'd seen them before and he's not learning anything new (which makes perfect sense when you're ill - last time I was really ill I did a lot of Khan Academy exercises because I didn't have the attention span to read or watch TV and I was obviously a little delirious, but simple math was comfortingly distracting).

We are watching "How the States got their Shape" and loving it.

What are you watching?

Yes, this is so good! We love it.

We also watch Brain Games (does that count?), Magic School Bus, and some Nature Documentary stuff.  

After we finished The Little White Horse we watched Secret of Moonacre and did a compare/contrast. That's kinda sorta educational, right?

I'd love more suggestions too. :)

Wildest Middle East. We were learning about these areas for geography (and then of course they hear about so many of them on the news ) so we really enjoyed seeing the nature side and how beautiful they are. It really helped my kids see that the entire Middle East isn't just one continuous desert or war zone (which unfortunately they kind of thought before).

We're watching Ken Burns Jazz. We also enjoyed Ken Burns Civil War.

I was going to say anything by Ken Burns. We just finished watching Prohibition, which even kept my DD9's attention. There's one possibly slightly inappropriate section where they talk about alcohol contributing to the decline of sexual mores and whether it might have happened more slowly if the Prohibition hadn't changed the culture, but I was OK with DD9 watching it. We're fairly liberal about that kind of thing here though, and it was an interesting and very valid point. We're going to tackle either The Dust Bowl or Jazz next. And I re-watch New York (on Amazon Prime) every other year or so :D 

If you have access to PBS in some way, we are also currently obsessed with Antiques Roadshow, from which we're learning all sorts of interesting historical tidbits. I suspect that show is going to cost me money when garage sale season starts though!

Wildest Middle East. We were learning about these areas for geography (and then of course they hear about so many of them on the news ) so we really enjoyed seeing the nature side and how beautiful they are. It really helped my kids see that the entire Middle East isn't just one continuous desert or war zone (which unfortunately they kind of thought before).

Just checking this out now! Very interesting show.