Menu

writing..once again ...IEW?

It IEW is the flavor of the month. My son is only in 5th grade but I have already heard the song and dance for other "must have!" curriculum enough to not jump in thinking it is The Answer To Everything! I do not use it and probably will not. The cost and what seems to be a not insubstantial time investment on my part are huge turn offs. Oh and the cost! I cannot get past the cost. Even used, the cost! I have a friend who uses it and has explained some concepts that I have adapted and implemented to use with my son with no greater success than anything else. Did I mention the cost?!

Full disclosure: My son has a language disorder and has not been successful with other curriculum in this subject and just the thought of spending that much money on something that will probably be another bust makes me physically ill.

My standard response to everyone who claims this program is so much better than everything else and will be the one thing that clicks with my son even though they have no clue what his strengths and weaknesses are: "I am open to giving it a go if anyone who wants to send me a copy on their own dime."

• Like 2

The cost is a bit high, but if this is something that will carry us through most of high school and I can use it with a second kid, it's not too bad IMO.

I just can't get much of a sense for what it is like.

Re the bolded, yes. It drives me nuts. If the program is so awesome why are there not more indepth previews? What is so special about an instructional DVD that costs more to produce than a teachers guide or a book? What is so revolutionary about it that it justifies the cost? Why is it treated like the best kept secret? If it is so awesome why then does one have to plop down a rather substantial amount of money to even know what it is about? 

• Like 1

IEW has a lifetime money back guarantee and pays return shipping, so if you don't like it or it isn't working, you aren't out any money at all.

There is a $10 Structure and Style overview which is only a little over two hours and even has handouts. It covers all 9 units, so it would be good to help you understand the processes.  It's included in the student videos or you can purchase it separately. If you do purchase it, there's a code inside to save $10 off the teacher's set of videos. 

I never thought I could teach writing until I went through TWSS, and I've taught it for 2.5 years at co-op. I took this year off of the co-op and tried other writing assignment with ds from our other curricula, and he has asked if he could do IEW again. 

I'm considering SICC-B, the continuation course for middle school because he's done SWI-A and a theme book. Laura House, an IEW representative, says it is her favorite product. 

• Like 8

Anyone here use IEW for middle school? I like the idea I could also use this for high school. However, the thought of watching all of those DVDs does not excite me much (I know how lazy of me).

Yep. We used it this year (6th), the first real writing program we've used and stuck with. We are in the camp of "it was the one thing that clicked!". :).

I credit two things pretty evenly: first and most importantly was that my son was finally motivated to learn to write. He needed to find that internal motivation on his own before we could move forward. Second, of course, is the program itself. He was ready for a DVD based class, and the format worked for him. Explicitly being given tools for GOOD writing worked for him. He doesn't want to write crap, he wants to write well this gave him a solid understanding how to do that. The secret code of "writing" has been unlocked--painlessly and with excitement and joy--and that's worth any amount of $$ to me.

OP, the DVDs aren't onerous. Andrew Pudewa keeps things light and engaging, and I know for me it was really beneficial to hear examples of writing from kids my son's age. I have nothing else to compare it to, so that piece was really useful--and to him, too of course. Typically the DVD portions run from 15-50 minutes. You can easily break up the longer days if you want.

FWIW we got through all of SWI-B in a few months. Next year we'll use the Technology and Robots book for extra practice using the skills he's learned. And he's been able now to write more across his other subjects, totally without the fear he started this year with.

I would never claim it will work for all kids, however. It would be the only writing program available if that were the case. But for kids who need the scaffolding and thrive with organizing thoughts into boxes, I really have to recommend considering it.

• Like 3

IEW has a lifetime money back guarantee and pays return shipping, so if you don't like it or it isn't working, you aren't out any money at all.

There is a $10 Structure and Style overview which is only a little over two hours and even has handouts. It covers all 9 units, so it would be good to help you understand the processes.  It's included in the student videos or you can purchase it separately. If you do purchase it, there's a code inside to save $10 off the teacher's set of videos. 

I never thought I could teach writing until I went through TWSS, and I've taught it for 2.5 years at co-op. I took this year off of the co-op and tried other writing assignment with ds from our other curricula, and he has asked if he could do IEW again. 

I'm considering SICC-B, the continuation course for middle school because he's done SWI-A and a theme book. Laura House, an IEW representative, says it is her favorite product. 

That's good to know!  Thank you. 

I would never claim it will work for all kids, however. It would be the only writing program available if that were the case. But for kids who need the scaffolding and thrive with organizing thoughts into boxes, I really have to recommend considering it.

Ah see this gives me pause.  My son scoffs at anything too rigid when it comes to writing. 

• Like 1

Adding, I didn't use the TWSS. I just watched the SWI videos with my son and that was plenty. He didn't need anything more from me than what he got "in writing class" (the DVDs). I could see where it would be beneficial if your child likes lots of instruction, though, or if you are teaching a class like a PP.

As for it being secretive, I feel like its been discussed and explained really thoroughly recently. For the person concerned about not getting a good feel for it, perhaps do some searches for recent threads. I'm not sure it's any different than any other program or book that you have to buy sight unseen (always feels like a gamble to me!).

• Like 1

IEW is based on the idea of using models to learn good writing. By teaching the children to rewrite from source texts, it takes away the dreaded, "What am I going to write about?" problem. Once a rough draft is written, IEW gives the student different "dress-ups", "sentence openers", and "decorations" as tools to create more interesting text. Those are introduced based upon the age of the student. 

Units 1 and 2: teach making key word outlines (KWO) from a paragraph, practice retelling the information with only the KWO in front of you, write a paragraph in your own words using the KWO.

Unit 3: Story Sequence Chart; by asking yourself a series of questions concerning basic literary analysis (Characters, setting, conflict, resolution, etc.), you can turn a short fable into a more detailed story or summarize an entire book into just 3 paragraphs

Units 4 and 6: writing reports from one or multiple sources, utilize KWOs, highlight key words in topic sentences to group information under the same category

Unit 5: writing from pictures; create KWOs about a series of pictures, creatively deciding what is happening in the picture and even outside the frame, again asking yourself questions to create the KWO

Unit 7: writing from your brain; creating a KWO about a specific writing prompt by asking yourself questions 

Unit 8: essay writing; provides how to make introductions and conclusions and format an essay

Unit 9: literary critique; used as an early book report; other products for high school will go more into literary analysis essays

Here is a Wiki with a lot of information.  https://wikis.engrade.com/beginningiew

• Like 3

I have used this with both of my boys for at least 3 years now.  I didn't watch the whole large set of teaching videos when I started either and have had not trouble implementing it.  I watched the $10 video and started with the Student Intensive A.  It was more than enough.

I will also say that they DO back up their 100% money guarantee.  I am returning the old Fix-It for a full refund today.  This two years later and after they put out a new version of the Fix-It!  (Side Note: I love, love, love their new Fix-It!)

• Like 1

No I haven't, but I didn't use IEW with my dd. Before I ever learned about IEW, she attended a writing class taught by a retired English teacher which really set her forth in writing. She automatically does some of the techniques in IEW without a checklist telling her what to include. 

My goal is to use The Elegant Essay and Windows to the World at some point. I'll go from there on which high school products I think would be good for ds. 

I just recently went through this conundrum and chose EIW instead. It's only $50/yr if you purchase the PDF workbook and goes through high school as well.

I just couldn't justify the cost of IEW, and after watching some samples, my DD preferred EIW over Andrew Pudewa.

Ah see this gives me pause. My son scoffs at anything too rigid when it comes to writing.

I didn't mean to imply its rigid. I often read that is too formulaic, but we've found it to be as flexible as you want. Rigid and formulaic wouldn't go over here, either. We are sort of masters of making things work for us. Lol :)

What I mean is that it is gentle in its approach, and seamlessly leads the student from simple concepts (KWO) to more complex, as illustrated beautifully by Mom31257. So there is a sense of First Do This, Then Add That, but it's done in a way so that not too many skills are being worked on at once.

For example, as Mom32157 mentioned, in the beginning the WHAT to write about is fully taken off the table. For kids who have a huge block, that can be a relief. My DS falls in both camps--he doesn't want to be told what to write about, but neither did he know what to write about...so for him, having no choice was a positive. Later, once he had a few skills under his belt and had built up confidence, we tweaked as we felt like it to make it work best for him. I guess I'm trying to say that it can be customizable and has only be as formula driven as you want it to be. :)

• Like 3

We have not started IEW yet but I own it.  Plan to start it this next month if things go well....So far I have liked very much what I have seen.

Sparkly if you can get the Student DVDs you might not need anything else.  You and your kids can sit through the student ones and not even worry about the teacher ones.  A lot of people do.  And the program is as flexible as you want it to be.  The DVDs are pretty light hearted, at least what I have watched so far.  And they really do have a 100% money back guarantee so if it doesn't work out you can return it.

Does your son struggle with writing?  Does he find it an onerous task?  Does he find it boring?  Does he have some trouble getting thoughts on paper?  If so, then maybe IEW would be a good fit.  

• Like 2

I just recently went through this conundrum and chose EIW instead. It's only $50/yr if you purchase the PDF workbook and goes through high school as well.

I just couldn't justify the cost of IEW, and after watching some samples, my DD preferred EIW over Andrew Pudewa.

We used level 9 of EIW.  DS thought it was ok, but he doesn't want to do another level.

To get a sense of the program, check your library.  Our library has a great inter-library loan program and I was able to check out TWSS before buying.  It's great to be able to have access to see if the program will work for you before you spend the money.  Just an FYI.

My library is beyond terrible. 

We have not started IEW yet but I own it.  Plan to start it this next month if things go well....So far I have liked very much what I have seen.

Sparkly if you can get the Student DVDs you might not need anything else.  You and your kids can sit through the student ones and not even worry about the teacher ones.  A lot of people do.  And the program is as flexible as you want it to be.  The DVDs are pretty light hearted, at least what I have watched so far.  And they really do have a 100% money back guarantee so if it doesn't work out you can return it.

Does your son struggle with writing?  Does he find it an onerous task?  Does he find it boring?  Does he have some trouble getting thoughts on paper?  If so, then maybe IEW would be a good fit.  

I like this idea.  I don't mind sitting through the student ones as needed with my son.  Just the thought of doing both...blah. But I might suck it up and do that if I go with it.

He does not struggle with writing.  He's pretty decent at it.  "I" struggle with coming up with ideas.  He does need more work with more specific things such as essays or research papers.  He has things like grammar, punctuation, etc. down, but reigning in on something specific is a problem for him (and me frankly). 

I would prefer something that helps me focus on various aspects of writing rather than me just saying ok write something.  That's too wide open.  Hopefully I'm making sense.  He writes creatively on his own.  He's not anti writing at all. 

I am considering IEW because I might use Trisms and it uses the IEW methods.  I won't use Trisms until 9th though so I need something for 8th, but figure I could start using IEW then. 

I like this idea. I don't mind sitting through the student ones as needed with my son. Just the thought of doing both...blah. But I might suck it up and do that if I go with it.

He does not struggle with writing. He's pretty decent at it. "I" struggle with coming up with ideas. He does need more work with more specific things such as essays or research papers. He has things like grammar, punctuation, etc. down, but reigning in on something specific is a problem for him (and me frankly).

I would prefer something that helps me focus on various aspects of writing rather than me just saying ok write something. That's too wide open. Hopefully I'm making sense. He writes creatively on his own. He's not anti writing at all.

I am considering IEW because I might use Trisms and it uses the IEW methods. I won't use Trisms until 9th though so I need something for 8th, but figure I could start using IEW then.

Have you looked into any of their theme books? I like the look of this technology one for next year: http://iew.com/shop/products/rockets-radar-robotics-backordered

It might be enough if your son is already comfortable writing. I don't know if the theme books go into any of the methods taught in the SWI, though. Might be a much less $$ option though if he doesn't need much hand holding.

• Like 1

Have you looked into any of their theme books? I like the look of this technology one for next year: http://iew.com/shop/products/rockets-radar-robotics-backordered

It might be enough if your son is already comfortable writing. I don't know if the theme books go into any of the methods taught in the SWI, though. Might be a much less $$ option though if he doesn't need much hand holding.

Oh wow, that's something he'd like. 

• Like 1

You know, I think that if he is already a decent writer and you think he'd like a theme book, I'd probably suggest just starting there. For $20 you can download the PDF and read through it thoroughly. At that point you could decide if he needs more.

I've had that book bookmarked since before going through the SWI, but looking through it again just now, it does look like there is plenty of instruction within it. It suggests a year of IEW under their belt, but it doesn't really sound like your son needs it. Mine did, so I'm glad we did the SWI first, but the theme book covers all the same ground.

I agree it all sounds more confusing than it needs to. We went with the SWI because DS really had a lot of catch up and confidence to build, but now that he has that he's ready for anything. Since yours isn't struggling but needs ideas, it sounds like a theme book might be a fun way to fill his needs.

• Like 2

You know, I think that if he is already a decent writer and you think he'd like a theme book, I'd probably suggest just starting there. For $20 you can download the PDF and read through it thoroughly. At that point you could decide if he needs more.

I've had that book bookmarked since before going through the SWI, but looking through it again just now, it does look like there is plenty of instruction within it. It suggests a year of IEW under their belt, but it doesn't really sound like your son needs it. Mine did, so I'm glad we did the SWI first, but the theme book covers all the same ground.

I agree it all sounds more confusing than it needs to. We went with the SWI because DS really had a lot of catch up and confidence to build, but now that he has that he's ready for anything. Since yours isn't struggling but needs ideas, it sounds like a theme book might be a fun way to fill his needs.

I think that sounds like a plan.  Thank you!

• Like 2

I watched TWSS (painful), and put ds through SWI-a. Swi-a was very helpful to ds at the time. We moved on to a couple of the themed books which I did not like as well. We then went back to WWS.

I think IEW has a place in the curricula world. For my younger son with significant LDs, we will stick with IEW rather than attempt WWS.

The most helpful things from IEW for oldest were learning to key word outline and learning how to use transitional words. Yes, it is formulaic, but it is also very specific and those specific clear directions were just what ds needed.

• Like 1

It IEW is the flavor of the month. My son is only in 5th grade but I have already heard the song and dance for other "must have!" curriculum enough to not jump in thinking it is The Answer To Everything! I do not use it and probably will not. The cost and what seems to be a not insubstantial time investment on my part are huge turn offs. Oh and the cost! I cannot get past the cost. Even used, the cost! I have a friend who uses it and has explained some concepts that I have adapted and implemented to use with my son with no greater success than anything else. Did I mention the cost?!

Full disclosure: My son has a language disorder and has not been successful with other curriculum in this subject and just the thought of spending that much money on something that will probably be another bust makes me physically ill.

My standard response to everyone who claims this program is so much better than everything else and will be the one thing that clicks with my son even though they have no clue what his strengths and weaknesses are: "I am open to giving it a go if anyone who wants to send me a copy on their own dime."

I totally understand your concerns about cost BUT did you know that they offer a 100% no time limit money back guarantee??  And free return shipping??  

TWSS can be expensive but it is an "every grade" item--to teach you how to teach writing, and it is good for you to use grades 3-12.

Jill Pike, the one who runs the Yahoo group for assistance, has experience with special needs and could likely help you.

I just want to encourage you not to write it off solely because of cost.  

• Like 1

I watched TWSS (painful), and put ds through SWI-a. Swi-a was very helpful to ds at the time. We moved on to a couple of the themed books which I did not like as well. We then went back to WWS.

I think IEW has a place in the curricula world. For my younger son with significant LDs, we will stick with IEW rather than attempt WWS.

The most helpful things from IEW for oldest were learning to key word outline and learning how to use transitional words. Yes, it is formulaic, but it is also very specific and those specific clear directions were just what ds needed.

DS used WWS1.  I really liked it, but him not so much.  He especially did not like the outlining.  I let him follow that part more loosely because while I believe in coming up with a method to organize information, I don't think it has to necessarily be in the format of a formal outline.  I was taught outlining.  I disliked it so much I would wrote the paper first using my own way and then write the outline if I was forced to hand in an outline. 

• Like 1

DS used WWS1.  I really liked it, but him not so much.  He especially did not like the outlining.  I let him follow that part more loosely because while I believe in coming up with a method to organize information, I don't think it has to necessarily be in the format of a formal outline.  I was taught outlining.  I disliked it so much I would wrote the paper first using my own way and then write the outline if I was forced to hand in an outline. 

:lol:

I relate, although I didn't mind outlining.  I did mind other things and pretty much did what you did: do it my way to get through the assignment, then work it the other way to turn in.

And once I even pleaded my case in writing for doing something completely different than the teacher was asking.  My arguments were well laid out and my teacher was nice so she let me.  I wasn't trying to be a pain but the one size fits all teaching instruction at certain schools I attended REALLY did not fit with how I learned.  :)

• Like 1

I'm so glad I clicked on this thread. I think one of these theme based products will be perfect for my son. The sample I read (US History 1) suggests that you can get by without the student book. Any thoughts on this?

Do you mean only using the TM? The copyright policy is no duplicating the materials, so you could use the source texts. You could do all the written work on regular paper, but there can be quite a bit of filling in the blank. Older versions of the theme books don't have the student pages, either.

There are so many great activities, convenient checklists, and the vocabulary cards in the student book. I think it's more than worth the cost.

• Like 2

Do you mean only using the TM? The copyright policy is no duplicating the materials, so you could use the source texts. You could do all the written work on regular paper, but there can be quite a bit of filling in the blank. Older versions of the theme books don't have the student pages, either.

There are so many great activities, convenient checklists, and the vocabulary cards in the student book. I think it's more than worth the cost.

Yes, using just the TM. This verifies what I was thinking. It looked to me like it would be easy to do the KWO on separate paper, but for any other exercise the student book would be nice. I think I will go ahead and buy both. Thanks!

• Like 1

Anyone here use IEW for middle school?  I like the idea I could also use this for high school.  However, the thought of watching all of those DVDs does not excite me much (I know how lazy of me). 

Personally, I'd rather stick forks in my eyes.

• Like 2

I like this idea.  I don't mind sitting through the student ones as needed with my son.  Just the thought of doing both...blah. But I might suck it up and do that if I go with it.

He does not struggle with writing.  He's pretty decent at it.  "I" struggle with coming up with ideas.  He does need more work with more specific things such as essays or research papers.  He has things like grammar, punctuation, etc. down, but reigning in on something specific is a problem for him (and me frankly). 

I would prefer something that helps me focus on various aspects of writing rather than me just saying ok write something.  That's too wide open.  Hopefully I'm making sense.  He writes creatively on his own.  He's not anti writing at all. 

I am considering IEW because I might use Trisms and it uses the IEW methods.  I won't use Trisms until 9th though so I need something for 8th, but figure I could start using IEW then. 

Google free writing prompts. If he knows how to write and really just needs ideas you do not need to buy anything.

• Like 1

My kids have used SWI-A,. SICC-A, and SICC-B.  Yes, they are expensive, but my kids like them far better than any other writing program they have done.  Mr. Pudewa's engaging style motivates them to write.  This is why I am willing to cough up the bucks for the DVD's. 

I always alternate an IEW program with something else for variety.  Week after week of IEW (or perhaps any program) would be monotonous. 

My favorite resources (so far) for middle school are:

IEW SICC-B (DVD's)

IEW Elegant Essay (on chapter 3 of this at the moment)

School Composition (Maxwell) 

A Workbook of Arguments (to help with the content aspect of writing)

• Like 4