Menu

Dr Hive - mild gallbladder problems

EmilyGF

I think I have mild gallbladder problems. In the course of googling a symptom I had today, I found a list of 5 symptoms of mild gallbladder problems; I have 4 or 5 of them. I do not have any of the symptoms of severe gallbladder problems. My cousin had hers taken out a few years back and I'd like to avoid that if I can.

If you've experienced gallbladder problems, what has helped you avoid pain or greater problems?

Any useful reading?

Thanks,

Emily

MY response is the same as regentrude's.  Just want to post something from my experience that may be of help.

Be sure you get the gallbladder function test that watches food actually move through your gallbladder.  They have 2 tests.  One where they put a fatty IV liquid through your system, and then do an ultrasound or some type of scan.

The other is where you actually eat eggs laced with something, lol and they watch that over the course of an hour and measure the actual functioning of the gallbladder.  Google HIDA scan...?  It wasn't painful really so I was assuming it would show nothing.  I was living with a very very low functioning gallbladder all those years!

Back when I had the first test, it showed nothing wrong and I never had stones so that never showed up on an ultrasound either.  They dismissed gallbladder altogether.  I suffered needlessly for YEARS and when my gb finally went, it was four months and a loss of about 25 pounds before I could get myself into surgery. 

This sounds crazy but if you can go to McDs and eat a Big Mac, large fry and milkshake with no symptoms or pain, it probably isn't your gb.  A meal like that would probably have killed me, lol.  Even now that mine is out, if I eat a high fat meal (think lasagna and buttery garlic bread with cheesecake), I know within 30 minutes it was a mistake~

• Like 1

This sounds crazy but if you can go to McDs and eat a Big Mac, large fry and milkshake with no symptoms or pain, it probably isn't your gb. 

I have to disagree. I had intermittent gb pain over the course of TEN years, and never once there was any correlation with diet. That's why it took forever to diagnose (no stones = no ultrasound diagnosis).

To diagnose low function, a HIDA scan is the way to go.

• Like 1

Yes, a HIDA scan is what is needed to diagnose how well (or not) a gallbladder is functioning.  They will use an IV to flush something through your system that simulates eating a fatty meal.

Ultrasound to look for stones, HIDA scan to check function.

Interesting, regentrude, because EVERY time my pain was correlated to diet.  I actually stopped going out to restaurants with friends for a good year or so since I never knew what would be in the food.

Our different situations just go to show she really needs testing, not a buncha moms telling her what to watch for, right?  

Either way - it is miserable to have that pain and I hope it gets resolved soon.

MY gb experience was the worst physical thing I've ever gone through (close second was having hyperemesis for 8 months with my last pregnancy).

If it is indeed stones:

I had several "attacks" 3 years ago, got the ultrasound, and discovered the stones.  I dissolved them using Ursidol, and had follow-up ultrasounds to monitor the progress.  I was just in the hospital post childbirth, and my doctor ordered an ultrasound while I was there.  Stones are still gone.

I have to disagree. I had intermittent gb pain over the course of TEN years, and never once there was any correlation with diet. That's why it took forever to diagnose (no stones = no ultrasound diagnosis).

To diagnose low function, a HIDA scan is the way to go.

Mine didn't seem to be affected by diet either. By the time I finally had mine taken out, I was having gall bladder attacks every other day and hardly eating anything in my attempt to eliminate foods that might be triggering the attacks. No matter what I ate or didn't eat, they kept occurring.

• Like 1

So I think I had some sort of GB attack the other night.  I ended up in the ER.  They determined it wasn't a heart attack (various testing, three nitro pills, etc), gave me some ulcer medication after IV ativan and sent me on my way.  If I had been able to function after the ativan, I would have asked specifically about the GB but...

Anyway, so I was thinking of going to the PCP (thinking of going to a new one) and asking about testing for gallbladder.  My concern was if it was inflammation or function, it wouldn't show on the ultrasound (like stones would).  Would the PCP be the one to ask regarding getting the HIDA testing also?  

In my experience with a few friends who have had these issues, it is a gastro doc who will order it.

Make an appt now, in this area there is a long wait.

I contacted an out of area gastro doc telling him of my ER history and explaining it was critical due to the high level of pain that we figure it out.  He was thorough and ordered

1) endoscopy

2) HIDA scan

3) would have done more intense testing but we found the gb issue out during the HIDA

In my opinion, a primary doc isn't going to go through all that.  I would be very very vocal about the pain and that ER visit.  If it is gb and yours is at that level where they're thinking it could be a heart attack - you don't want to play around.  I was on all fours rocking back and forth because of pain AFTER an ER visit because the ER docs totally missed it.  Actually 4 ER docs missed it and 2 primary care physicians as well.  They actually told my husband we needed to leave because there was "nothing they could do" and gave me some ulcer meds and asked that I take those for 3 months and report back!

Dont mean to scare you - just to say waiting is sooo futile.  Health care is frustrating to me ever since that experience, sorry if that is coming through in an unhelpful way.

well, I actually HAVE a gastroenterologist (kinda) as he had to sign off for me to have the sleeve gastrectomy.  I will call and see if I can get an appointment :)  I never want to be in as much pain as the other night ever ever ever ever again.  

(I had thought it was gas or heartburn figuring I'm a little young for a heart attack but when I couldn't get it to go away and was having awful thoughts of desperation, I figured I better get to a doctor.  I just wish they had checked my gallbladder while there so we'd be one step closer).

In my experience with a few friends who have had these issues, it is a gastro doc who will order it.

Make an appt now, in this area there is a long wait.

I contacted an out of area gastro doc telling him of my ER history and explaining it was critical due to the high level of pain that we figure it out. He was thorough and ordered

1) endoscopy

2) HIDA scan

3) would have done more intense testing but we found the gb issue out during the HIDA

In my opinion, a primary doc isn't going to go through all that. I would be very very vocal about the pain and that ER visit. If it is gb and yours is at that level where they're thinking it could be a heart attack - you don't want to play around. I was on all fours rocking back and forth because of pain AFTER an ER visit because the ER docs totally missed it. Actually 4 ER docs missed it and 2 primary care physicians as well. They actually told my husband we needed to leave because there was "nothing they could do" and gave me some ulcer meds and asked that I take those for 3 months and report back!

Dont mean to scare you - just to say waiting is sooo futile. Health care is frustrating to me ever since that experience, sorry if that is coming through in an unhelpful way.

My dad was in and out of the ER several times before they got a good diagnosis. The last time, he flat out refused to leave the hospital until they came to some conclusion. Out came the gb and he was good after that! (OP, it was a long time ago, I'm sure diagnostics are much improved, but it's helpful to know what to ask for.)

Mine didn't seem to be affected by diet either. By the time I finally had mine taken out, I was having gall bladder attacks every other day and hardly eating anything in my attempt to eliminate foods that might be triggering the attacks. No matter what I ate or didn't eat, they kept occurring.

My mom was still have attacks and she was eating plain potatoes with a little bit of salt. 

Mine started acting up when I was pregnant and it didn't matter if I ate low fat or high fat. Ultimately, a stone got lodged in a duct and I developed one of the most severe cases of pancreatitis that my doctor had ever seen. Stayed in the hospital for 6 days week - 4 days to get the pancreatitis under control, then a day for the gall bladder surgery, then another day to have a stint put into the duct to make sure no other stones were stuck. Worst experience I've ever had. 

Apple Cider Vinegar is said to help as is the intake of olive oil. Soy products are not good though, so avoid those. 

You could also try ox bile pills. Those who have had their gallbladders removed sometimes use ox bile to aid in digestion. It would probably help the gallbladder as well. 

• 2 years later...