• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Lookit what she does for fun on the weekend.

#putsmetoshame

Hosting mega-Thanksgivings, canning food all summer, preparing dishes with names I don't even know what they are..... that puts me to shame. 

I ate cookies and drank wine? How do you think I feel?  paperbag.gif

Cookies and wine????  You ought to feel GREAT!!!!!  :D

• Like 5

I know it's a bit early for an educational post, but since I brought up Saxon.....  I will add my .02.  I have one who really needs the spiral.  Then I have a mathier student who prefers the spiral because he feels like he remembers it better.  (We tried something different this summer because I'm a little concerned about the reputation of Saxon's Advanced Math book and because I would have loved to have gotten the geometry credit finished with something else in case we needed to switch away from Saxon later.  But he didn't feel like he was retaining with the other approach.)  I will say as I worked through 20 lessons yesterday that there were at least two lessons where I thought the presentation was more complicated than my own approach.  And a couple times they said things in the text that made me go "huh?"  It remains to be seen whether I will put other students into upper levels of Saxon.  Maybe doing these lessons will help me decide.  My youngest two are not in Saxon. 

That's more than you wanted to know. 

• Like 5

I know it's a bit early for an educational post, but since I brought up Saxon.....  I will add my .02.  I have one who really needs the spiral.  Then I have a mathier student who prefers the spiral because he feels like he remembers it better.  (We tried something different this summer because I'm a little concerned about the reputation of Saxon's Advanced Math book and because I would have loved to have gotten the geometry credit finished with something else in case we needed to switch away from Saxon later.  But he didn't feel like he was retaining with the other approach.)  I will say as I worked through 20 lessons yesterday that there were at least two lessons where I thought the presentation was more complicated than my own approach.  And a couple times they said things in the text that made me go "huh?"  It remains to be seen whether I will put other students into upper levels of Saxon.  Maybe doing these lessons will help me decide.  My youngest two are not in Saxon. 

That's more than you wanted to know. 

Saxon isn't spiral. :-)

There is genius in Saxon, but you have to stick to it and with it. :-)

I don't care for the primary levels, however.

• Like 2

Your Majesty: For clarity, I do not hate the undoubted magnificence that is Saxon math. I merely loathe it as applied to us. (Please don't demote me. I like being a Duchess, albeit an unnoticed one.)

Different strokes for different folks. It's just math, not a matter of salvation. :smilielol5:

• Like 5

Don't like Saxon yet. I do like CLE for the boys and am head over heels in love with Key to Algebra, which is saying something since I loathe the subject usually.

I do not ugly cry period. I can't remember the last time I cried that wasn't inside. I'm not a very effusive person, although I do think I've got a few emotions lurking around in there. I write epic, emotionally charged characters, for Pete's sake! But I don't get bumped from my center very easily, and when I do, I claw my way back pretty quickly. 

Today we are off to visit the fish at the aquarium. I will be taking novel work along with me. It's a nice drive if the boys don't talk all the way...

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!!!

I have kept the dc home from church this morning. We are just relaxing and taking it easy.:)

About math, I have no opinion. Dd16 and Ds20 used Saxon in elementary school. We are using a variety of things here, but it is just first grade. Our main math program is Rod and Staff. I like it. It is to the point, simple and the pages are uncluttered. We are learning to use the cuisenaire rods. I am hoping these help little ds especially because he is having a hard time grasping the abstract ideas of math. I also found an excellent deal on the Right Start math games. I just got them Friday so I have not had a chance to use them yet. However I am hopeful. So there ya go. I am inexperienced and trying to figure out what works best for them.:)

Eta: I am sure this is more than you wanted to know. However, if anyone has any ideas, I will gladly welcome them. This has been my educational post for the day.

Edited by Openhearted
  • Like 3

Good Morning!!!!!!

I have kept the dc home from church this morning. We are just relaxing and taking it easy.:)

About math, I have no opinion. Dd16 and Ds20 used Saxon in elementary school. We are using a variety of things here, but it is just first grade. Our main math program is Rod and Staff. I like it. It is to the point, simple and the pages are uncluttered. We are learning to use the cuisenaire rods. I am hoping these help little ds especially because he is having a hard time grasping the abstract ideas of math. I also found an excellent deal on the Right Start math games. I just got them Friday so I have not had a chance to use them yet. However I am hopeful. So there ya go. I am inexperienced and trying to figure out what works best for them.:)

Eta: I am sure this is more than you wanted to know. However, if anyone has any ideas, I will gladly welcome them. This has been my educational post for the day.

Where did you get the RS games?

• Like 1

Don't like Saxon yet. I do like CLE for the boys and am head over heels in love with Key to Algebra, which is saying something since I loathe the subject usually.

I do not ugly cry period. I can't remember the last time I cried that wasn't inside. I'm not a very effusive person, although I do think I've got a few emotions lurking around in there. I write epic, emotionally charged characters, for Pete's sake! But I don't get bumped from my center very easily, and when I do, I claw my way back pretty quickly. 

Today we are off to visit the fish at the aquarium. I will be taking novel work along with me. It's a nice drive if the boys don't talk all the way...

I love Key to Algebra!!!  We used it during our pre-algebra days, but I really liked it a lot.  It is similar to CLE in that it is little booklets.  I heart little booklets, evidently.  Saxon books weigh fifteen pounds each. :lol:

• Like 3

Where did you get the RS games?

Rainbow resource, it was a bargain version. All the parts were there and in good condition, but a the two fraction sheets were wrinkled. I paid $42.

There is a bargain version of the Math Card Games book here for $17.73. http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=025802&subject=Mathematics/10&category=RightStart+Mathematics+Program/2246

Then you could just buy the card decks as you need them. In the back of the book there are a lot of pages to copy and make for the games.

Edited by Openhearted
  • Like 1

I thought my dh had taken up trying to learn the guitar again, but I think it is a mariachi band playing outdoors nearby. :leaving:

I play flamenco (picking, not loud) on my front lawn. But the guy across the street (we love him) plays classic rock while upholstering chairs so I think I'm okay.

Five hours into the loud mariachi music, as I am able to hear the words from any part of my house in the middle of my four acres of land, I am not amused.  The sheriff has been called, the neighbors have been spoken to, and no one knows exactly where it is coming from.  Dh just left with the kids to hunt it down.  I just finished two hours of house cleaning so I am sitting on the couch listening to mariachi music. :confused1:

Huh. That must have been some party!

Your Majesty: For clarity, I do not hate the undoubted magnificence that is Saxon math. I merely loathe it as applied to us. (Please don't demote me. I like being a Duchess, albeit an unnoticed one.)

I loved Saxon. I had been in a highly conceptual. Verbal-based program that involved almost no procedure at all and which didn't build on previous steps. For a 12 year old whose mom didn't finish algebra in HS, and who was working all the time, in a class with no peers (everyone else was upper class and had tutors and highly educated parents) plus with low motivation, it was a disaster. When we moved, I went into Saxon Algebra II in 9th and immediately loved it. So lucid. So comforting to have it all laid out. I love BA and I like Singapore now but for a lost little 13 year old in the middle of turmoil, it was salvation, actually. Well, Saxon and my kind grandfatherly math teacher.

I'm surprised how many people hate it. I probably went through 8 math programs in my short life and I've done 4 with my kids (supplements and such, from BA to IXL to Singapore to Carson Dellosa to Expressions with school to a German program) and looking at Saxon I can see how it would not work for everyone but nothing does.

I am logging in to say hi from my new laptop.  I have to get used to a slightly different keyboard.  :seeya: :seeya: :seeya: :seeya: :seeya:

Woot!

• Like 4

I like Singapore through level 5B.  I dislike level 6.  Singapore was great for my mathy boys, but not for my non-mathy, mini me little dd, it resulted in tears and no retention.  The child has no math sense at all.  I think she is less mathy than I am, which is hard to be.  So I put her in CLE a month into the year, dropping back a level to build confidence while learning a new program.  I puffy heart love AoPS for pre-algebra for pretty much any kid, excluding extremely non-mathy little dd.  Jann in Texas has my vote for any math above pre-algebra.  I pushed that boulder up a hill for so many years, I am happy to hand it off to someone else.  Except for ds12, who rejects anything "average", and Jann's classes are average because, well, most people are average-ish.  So ds12 will cause me to wail and gnash my teeth and put on sackcloth and pour ashes on my head for years until he is old enough or I can get some sort of age exception for him to take math at the CC. He is a wild horse who will not be bridled.  But I am handing off little dd to Jann in Texas for pre-algebra when the time comes.  Jann already owns ds15.   Her classes go through Algebra 2, after which point ds15 will be at the CC for math, thankyouverymuch.

This has been my educational post for the day.

• Like 5

Why would you intentionally split lower math?

I have found that for us at least, Singapore doesn't have enough procedural explanation when you get into the 5th and 6th grade levels, 6th especially. Their explanations and examples would leave us scratching our heads and looking through other resources to figure out how to do the problems. It may be that our retention just wasn't good enough.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

Having a crappy day here.  My beloved neighbors' furnace room caught on fire.  Thank God-and our fabulous volunteer fire department-the house was saved.  The house, by the way, is the former barn which was converted into a home when the original house burned down about 15 years ago.  DH is over with the tractor right now helping the firefighters-the winter wood stock needed to be turned to get at all the fire.

Prayers for M and V would be much appreciated.

• Like 6

Having a crappy day here.  My beloved neighbors' furnace room caught on fire.  Thank God-and our fabulous volunteer fire department-the house was saved.  The house, by the way, is the former barn which was converted into a home when the original house burned down about 15 years ago.  DH is over with the tractor right now helping the firefighters-the winter wood stock needed to be turned to get at all the fire.

Prayers for M and V would be much appreciated.

My sister just broke her wrist. 😟

Oh my!!!! Such bad things to happen! Prayers and good thoughts for all.

• Like 1

I have found that for us at least, Singapore doesn't have enough procedural explanation when you get into the 5th and 6th grade levels, 6th especially. Their explanations and examples would leave us scratching our heads and looking through other resources to figure out how to do the problems. It may be that our retention just wasn't good enough.

Yes.  I vote to burn Singapore level 6 at the stake.

I am sorry to hear of furnace rooms burning and wrists being broken.  This is a bad day for many people.   :grouphug:

My sister just broke her wrist. 😟

So the are turning a garage into an inlaw suite. She cleared some supplies out of the back of the truck, and as she was getting out caught her foot on the hitch, fell head first, and used her arms to protect her head. Left wrist broken, right elbow sprained. Ugh.

Her step daughter and her DSD's BF are going to cook Thanksgiving dinner. So sweet.

But no more building for her for awhile.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 1

I loved Saxon. I had been in a highly conceptual. Verbal-based program that involved almost no procedure at all and which didn't build on previous steps. For a 12 year old whose mom didn't finish algebra in HS, and who was working all the time, in a class with no peers (everyone else was upper class and had tutors and highly educated parents) plus with low motivation, it was a disaster. When we moved, I went into Saxon Algebra II in 9th and immediately loved it. So lucid. So comforting to have it all laid out. I love BA and I like Singapore now but for a lost little 13 year old in the middle of turmoil, it was salvation, actually. Well, Saxon and my kind grandfatherly math teacher.

I'm surprised how many people hate it. I probably went through 8 math programs in my short life and I've done 4 with my kids (supplements and such, from BA to IXL to Singapore to Carson Dellosa to Expressions with school to a German program) and looking at Saxon I can see how it would not work for everyone but nothing does.

Isn't it weird that people "hate" it? Can't they just not like it? :confused:

• Like 5

I just promised $1000 to any child in the household that brings home homework from a teacher which indicates clearly that work on math problems is not to be shown; that the child should not show his or her steps in solving a problem. You'd think they'd be jumping for joy, for all the times they have informed us that "the teacher said I wasn't supposed to show my work." Theoretically, from their perspective, this is a sure thing and I'm going to be out $4,000.00.

However, only the six year old looked remotely hopeful.

I find that so perplexing given the total certainty with which they inform us that work is most certainly not to be shown in public schools nowadays! And that their college-educated parents and step-parents were clearly too stupid to do math in their heads, therefore they had to show work, but nowadays all the mathy kids just skip all the steps and write an answer. I mean, I would have thought they'd all go back and check their math homework just to make sure to get that comment: "-5 pts work shown--please do not explain answers".

Hmmm.

• Like 6

We are back from the aquarium. A good time was had by all, and my children had to drag me away from petting the sharks. I just love petting the sharks.

I wrote long hand almost all of the chapter that I would have typed today, so I actually got some writing in, but I won't count it until I type it up tomorrow.

A note: the above sharks are less than a foot long, and have no teeth. They just lie at the bottom of the petting pool, and one of them was kind enough to raise up and let me scratch it gently under the jaw. 

• Like 7

I have enough of my own chores I'm not doing. Send him over - he and Gymnast will have a grand time.

He's never allowed to be near another girl ever again. I had a YouTube playlist going and Grease "You're the one that I want" came on. He went to go watch it and asked why the girl was being so mean to him. "I don't know", I replied. He looked me straight in the eyes and said "I want a girl to be mean to me."

Oh, this child...

• Like 4

He's never allowed to be near another girl ever again. I had a YouTube playlist going and Grease "You're the one that I want" came on. He went to go watch it and asked why the girl was being so mean to him. "I don't know", I replied. He looked me straight in the eyes and said "I want a girl to be mean to me."

Oh, this child...

They'd make quite a pair, then.  :lol:

• Like 4