Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am back. Had a great trip to the mountains to visit two delightful families. The Sierras are just amazing and the views were tremendous. So much granite. Now I am tired and looking forward to a weekend that is much busier than I would like.

Oh well look at that. A Booya/h. Very Busy Booya/h.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

VentPo:

I have been researching high school math options. Last night, while perusing Foerster texts on eBay, I came across and read a page from the Foerster Alg 1 text that is a prime example of what regularly had me in tears as a teenager. I can literally see what is being taught and the pattern used for solving the problem, but I have absolutely no clue why. Why does that work and why is that how to go about it? (And I cannot seem to find a comparable lesson in Dolciani Alg 1 or 2.) I am determined to figure this stuff out, which is why I'm researching so far in advance. If I can't make heads or tails of something, I cannot expect my children to learn with understanding when we get to that point in time. I really want to reteach myself these things with better understanding, but time is limited and I'm not sure the best way to go about it. 

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 4

Good morning!

I was never concerned about the "whys" behind equations.  I thought of them as interesting or boring puzzles and that was good enough for me.  I must be severely lacking in that capacity, but I can see how it could drive a person bananas.

Happy return home, Toto!

I have started the coffee.  Up way too late last night, but it was fun.  Dd25 and I talked wedding plans and looked at dresses and stuff.  Most of the kids have actually gone to our little downtown to have breakfast at the place next to our church.  I've never eaten there myself but I hear it's pretty tasty.

I'm not sure what the plans are for today.  We might head out to the used bookstore or maybe take a hike or something.  The weather is gorgeous.

Coffee!

• Like 6

I just posted in the elder care group:

"My dad is in the hospital and there's a lot in the air. They're talking about him needing full time care. I cannot do it due to chronic illness and refuse to due to his drug use. He is in California and I'm in Texas and I would like him here. I cannot help him get here financially or physically. If they do send him to a home is there a possibility that we could get him here?"

Thoughts?

20 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm stalling. I don't wanna English. Specifically, because it's a writing assignment. Give me grammar all day long. I'll edit. I'll diagram. But please don't make me do a writing assignment the first week back to school.

You send me your writing, I'll send you my grammar.

42 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

VentPo:

I have been researching high school math options. Last night, while perusing Foerster texts on eBay, I came across and read a page from the Foerster Alg 1 text that is a prime example of what regularly had me in tears as a teenager. I can literally see what is being taught and the pattern used for solving the problem, but I have absolutely no clue why. Why does that work and why is that how to go about it? (And I cannot seem to find a comparable lesson in Dolciani Alg 1 or 2.) I am determined to figure this stuff out, which is why I'm researching so far I'm advance. If I can't make heads or tails of something, I cannot expect my children to learn with understanding when we get to that point in time. I really want to reteach myself these things with better understanding, but time is limited and I'm not sure the best way to go about it. 

I want to use Derek Owens for this exactly this reason.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I was never concerned about the "whys" behind equations.  I thought of them as interesting or boring puzzles and that was good enough for me.  I must be severely lacking in that capacity, but I can see how it could drive a person bananas.

This is me. I don’t care about “why”. I just want to know how to do an equation. DH, on the other hand, is a mechanical engineer and he’s all about the whys. The kids hate it when he tries to explain math to them because they just want to know how to do it, too. And when he explains the “whys” it just confuses them.

So, Servie, I guess you need to ask yourself, are your children like you? Do they need to know the whys? If so, then continue on your quest. But if they only need to know how to do something, then go with something more traditional.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

VentPo:

I have been researching high school math options. Last night, while perusing Foerster texts on eBay, I came across and read a page from the Foerster Alg 1 text that is a prime example of what regularly had me in tears as a teenager. I can literally see what is being taught and the pattern used for solving the problem, but I have absolutely no clue why. Why does that work and why is that how to go about it? (And I cannot seem to find a comparable lesson in Dolciani Alg 1 or 2.) I am determined to figure this stuff out, which is why I'm researching so far I'm advance. If I can't make heads or tails of something, I cannot expect my children to learn with understanding when we get to that point in time. I really want to reteach myself these things with better understanding, but time is limited and I'm not sure the best way to go about it. 

What is the method being taught? Can you link the ebay page?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dianthus said:

What is the method being taught? Can you link the ebay page?

Here's screenshot.

Screenshot_20230908_231418_eBay.thumb.jpg.fd5e225e2cbdc1336c1bfda7af171b4e.jpg

Now, this could be a case of me just needing the rest of the page (or chapter) to refresh my memory, but I'm not sure and it's been a really long time! I am the type who wants to understand why I'm doing what I'm doing, not just how to get it done for the sake of passing and moving on. It drives me nuts now as much as it did 30 years ago. Even if I never use this information for anything else and my children don't want/need the 'why' like I do, I believe truly understanding will make me a better and more effective teacher. 

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Here's screenshot.

Screenshot_20230908_231418_eBay.thumb.jpg.fd5e225e2cbdc1336c1bfda7af171b4e.jpg

Now, this could be a case of me just needing the rest of the page (or chapter) to refresh my memory, but I'm not sure and it's been a really long time! I am the type who wants to understand why I'm doing what I'm doing, not just how to get it done for the sake of passing and moving on. It drives me nuts now as much as it did 30 years ago. Even if I never use this information for anything else and my children don't want/need the 'why' like I do, I believe truly understanding will make me a better and more effective teacher. 

Factoring something out transforms a lot of work from hard math to easy math. It makes it so much faster when you realize, Oh, I could divide this whole equation by (x + 5)... the same way it is when you realize you're looking at multiples of 12. So this lesson is having you start by basically reversing the distributive property: If I have ab - ac, I have a(b-c). Then I can pull either of those factors out of there if the situation calls for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 5:31 PM, 73349 said:

Factoring something out transforms a lot of work from hard math to easy math. It makes it so much faster when you realize, Oh, I could divide this whole equation by (x + 5)... the same way it is when you realize you're looking at multiples of 12. So this lesson is having you start by basically reversing the distributive property: If I have ab - ac, I have a(b-c). Then I can pull either of those factors out of there if the situation calls for it.

Thank you! That's the part I was missing! All I could see when I looked at this page is that one set (of the two that are alike) in each example was removed but I couldn't remember why it was removed. I knew there was a reason, but couldn't remember and it was seriously bugging me enough that I nearly bought the book just to figure it out! I DO know this! I'm just rusty, I guess.

VentPo Over! Thankyou @73349 😎

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Slache said:

Why does math keep happening? 

15 hours ago, Junie said:

I know, right? It's the weekend, people!!

(j/k, carry on if you want to, but I don't math on weekends)

11 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Without warning?  Might as well go to the dentist.

I concur!!

• Like 3

Good morning!

fwiw, I really like my dentist.  Well, my old dentist.  He retired.  I don't have a dentist any more, which means my teeth will be perfectly fine from now on, right?

The Youngers and I played for services this morning and are now home getting ready to go play pickleball and then go to the Fancy Aquarium Store and Kabob restaurant in the Big City.  *I* wanted to go see the flea market and mariachi band but was outvoted in favor of pickle ball.  I'm driving so I guess I can go wherever I want.

Coffee!

• Like 4

We churched and lunched. I made 5, yes, you read that right, 5 pie crusts that are in the freezer awaiting quiche filling on Saturday. Now I am baking bread and watching sportsball. Derek won his game with his new team by one point, but a win is a win. Watching the Raiders now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We played pickleball for a while and then went to the Fancy Aquarium store and then the kabob restaurant and then to the mariachi place because they have an ice cream store but the band wasn't set up yet and the ice cream was super expensive so we went to the paletas shop near our house and that was delicious.  Ice cream for 8 people cost less than $30.  I love that place.  Now we are just hanging out.  I think the kids want to play a game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 5:36 PM, Slache said:

Why does math keep happening? 

Because it was driving me nuts and I needed an answer!

On 9/9/2023 at 6:40 PM, Junie said:

I know, right? It's the weekend, people!!

(j/k, carry on if you want to, but I don't math on weekends)

On weekdays my time is so much more limited because SCHOOL.

23 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Without warning?  Might as well go to the dentist.

I did warn. It was called VentPo, but I did forget to end it so I'll go edit that now.... Done 😁

On 9/9/2023 at 8:22 PM, Renai said:

I'm also concerned about math. I can do it, I don't know how well I'll explain it to these 4th and 5th graders when it gets to certain points.

Thank you! See, Renai's got my back. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.

12 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I concur!!

👅

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Morning, Happy Monday!

Today is my first day back to classes.   No break for 8 weeks (unless snow) but I don't work Fridays this year so hopefully it will be easier despite teaching four classes most days.

After the 10 hour drive home from Maine we basically just collapsed.   Both dh and I had to drive the entire way since we took two cars.  Five people, one dog, luggage, food, etc needed both.   But the driving was rough.  Theoretically we had two other drivers but ds hasn't really done much highway driving and would be very uncomfortable driving highways in unfamiliar places.  Plus he stayed awake all night so he could sleep the entire ride.   Mom wasn't comfortable with driving my "huge" car (Honda Pilot).    It was fine, we just stopped a lot.  

It was an amazing trip.  I'd love to go back again.  This was actually my third time there but the last one was about 30 years ago.  

• Like 8

Doing all the things. Still no Toyota. I asked the guy to get us a loaner since it's much longer than they'd told us and our old car is broken and I am driving all the places; he said they can't today but might be able to get us one tomorrow.

DS had his first driving lesson this morning! 😯

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

The kids are learning about gravity today. It will be nice when they stop floating around everywhere. 

I've always wanted to go to Maine. I don't really know why. I blame the movie Andre. It was essential to my childhood. 

1. Show-offs.

2. Come with me next summer to the Maine Fiddle Camp.  It'll be awesome.  You don't have to play fiddle.

3. I want to see that movie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1