• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Morning, Happy Saturday.

We went to a Games Gala at ds's school last night.  His professor runs it for his classes at the end of the year?/semester?, we don't know how often since this was our first one.  Ds's class involved learning about game design and they invented a few of their own board games.  Ds's was actually a pretty big hit.  Only one other, from an upper classman, was played as much.  Everyone was laughing pretty frequently.   There were computer games as well and ds finished up the night trying to beat a time on one of them.    Ds felt the night was a success and felt good about himself, so that was nice.  

Today it's raining and miserable.  Once I'm awake and done with my tea I'm running to do lots of work at the science center.  Dh just got delivery of his new (64 inch?/72 inch?/I don''t know but too big for the room) television.  Our's got broke moving it around when we redid the room.  

• Like 5

Today is women's Bible Study brunch, lunch, ice cream cupcake, then Gymnast's final dance performance. It is a gala performance for the bigwig donors. Then she can rest a day. She has had something everyday since last Friday. She slept until almost noon yesterday!

We stayed up a little last night while I figured out how to braid a heart in her hair. But, by golly, I done did it! I had her hair in Bantu knots every night,  but had to borrow some of that hair to make the heart. I hope it'll still make a decent size knot...

In other news, we are expecting 100 straight hours of wind. The firefighters have been preparing for it for the past two days. 

20220506_231716.thumb.jpg.73fba4be77daf5c37052a2cb9380a1f1.jpg20220506_231737.thumb.jpg.11dbaed3ab1aacc1c4f4230d1554edec.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

32 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Great job Renai! I'm glad I have boys because I have no creativity for talent for hair.

Thanks. YouTube is a great teacher. 🤣 I watched videos, then braided alongside one. This is my second daughter, and my first (Dancer, 11 years older) was saying I didn't do styles like Bantu knots with her. I said, girl, all I know are cornrows and beads, and that's what she got. 😅 Then she proceeded to tell me I should try to braid a heart, so I did.

I'll take a final photo when I get her hair done later. Here's a pic of the Bantu knots I did earlier this week, also after watching several YT videos. I left the back of her hair loose.

20220506_162726.thumb.jpg.a67b8b4399b1b70b9d1a2d4a7a044eca.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Good morning!

Had some not nice dreams and woke up in big fog.  Took pup on his morning constitutional and now am coffeeing up a headache.

I will probably do more work in the Pantry of Doom and try to finish embroidering a gift linen tea towel from 2 years ago.

Coffee!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Saturday!!!

I slept in till after 8:00 this morning!! Sure felt good. It’s a beautiful morning. DH has all the windows open. It’s breezy out.

Not much on the docket for the day. Housework. I need to get to the grocery store. Not going to the AFSA, though. Just Save Mart. 

• Like 5

Renai, you are amazing. DD thankfully hates having her hair done up and keeps it chin length so I lucked out!

I sheared all the boys/men in the house this morning. So. Much. Hair!

A friend of ours brought over his super tall ladder so now the dumb 2-story plant shelf is clean and the NERF darts are down for the first time in a year! I totally embarrassed myself, though, telling what I thought was a hilarious story. Guess it wasn’t…

Kids are having a Daddy Date Day. DS 16, DD, and Little Man are at the pool now with Daddy. (ASD Son doesn’t like pool water. He says it makes him sticky.) When they get back, it’s shower/bath time and lunch. Then Daddy is taking the three olders to Dr. Strange while I wrangle Little Man for a nap. AND then… we are going out to dinner at Golden Corral. All in all a mostly quiet day for me.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

@Green Bean Have you done MP literature for grade 6 yet? Some of the reviews of Green's retelling of King Arthur and Robin Hood have me thinking I might need to preread those two books before deciding. 

We haven’t done those two yet. We will get to them next term. What are you seeing?

My kids are much older than the normal age for doing those books so if it’s death and battles, they won’t be bothered by it. It’s how it was has always been my response to historical fiction things.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

We haven’t done those two yet. We will get to them next term. What are you seeing?

My kids are much older than the normal age for doing those books so if it’s death and battles, they won’t be bothered by it. It’s how it was has always been my response to historical fiction things.

Robin Hood kills 15 people in vengeance and the ending is bloody. That's what I read in a review. I've never actually read either book. I just placed a hold on both with our library. 

I'm not so much worried about death as I am about too much detail and unnecessary gore. Also character. I don't want the take-away to be that it's ok to do bad things for the right reason, kwim?

With King Arthur, it's the magic. I am careful about magic and it's draw for children. Narnia: yes, Harry Potter: no, The Hobbit: not yet. 

• Like 2

No photo description available.

I did younger dd's hair in twisty, knotty looking braids for the St. Patrick's Day parade one year.  I theoretically know how to do french braids.  I just can't seem to get my fingers to do it.   My joints stiffen up if I try to hold things too tightly.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

No photo description available.

I did younger dd's hair in twisty, knotty looking braids for the St. Patrick's Day parade one year.  I theoretically know how to do french braids.  I just can't seem to get my fingers to do it.   My joints stiffen up if I try to hold things too tightly.  

Wow!

• Like 3

Change of plans: I get to see Dr.Strange!!

Servie- I can’t tell you how many Force battles and wand battles we’ve had here over the years. I understand not everyone feels the same, and completely respect that. Time and place and maturity for everything. 

That ending sounds a bit much. Tell me what you find when you read them. They aren’t essential so you can easily skip them. MP has some alternatives  like My Side of the Mountain. I’m on my phone waiting for the movie to start so I can’t easily link.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Movie was…interesting. Not for the under 13 set at all. ASD Son didn’t like it. The other two did. I’m not sure yet. We saw the trailer for the last Thor movie! It looks fun. Boys are stoked about the last Jurassic movie. More dinos eating people. Meh- I promised to take them since Oldest isn’t here to do it.

Almost dinnertime!

• Like 5

These should be the last pics. Here, she is off to the final, Gala performance. She put beads on her front edge braids while we were in the car because we were running late, and she REALLY wanted beads. She has a heart on each side of her head, although you can't see one in one of the pics. It's the one I already shared. I am a little worried about one of the Bantu knots and am praying it holds up. I should have tightened it before letting her go, and I'm not there to fix anything...

20220507_145226.thumb.jpg.f66db7b6fb91022158dfb77c9c8a1189.jpg20220507_145240.thumb.jpg.7cbbd3debc9ce25d6ef3b6a0daa5ac0f.jpg20220507_145222.thumb.jpg.d15ca2ec89b1843b8286f0385cc92a12.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Renai said:

These should be the last pics. Here, she is off to the final, Gala performance. She put beads on her front edge braids while we were in the car because we were running late, and she REALLY wanted beads. She has a heart on each side of her head, although you can't see one in one of the pics. It's the one I already shared. I am a little worried about one of the Bantu knots and am praying it holds up. I should have tightened it before letting her go, and I'm not there to fix anything...

20220507_145226.thumb.jpg.f66db7b6fb91022158dfb77c9c8a1189.jpg20220507_145240.thumb.jpg.7cbbd3debc9ce25d6ef3b6a0daa5ac0f.jpg20220507_145222.thumb.jpg.d15ca2ec89b1843b8286f0385cc92a12.jpg

Oh my word, I can't believe how grown she is!  So lovely!  And the hair is stunning!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon!

Happy Mother's Day!

((((Everyone for whom Mother's Day is hard and/or sad))))

We made it to church in time enough to get a seat - if you aren't at LEAST 5-10 minutes early you will have to go watch on a screen in the overflow room.

My Stella d'oro (daylily) bloomed this morning.  I picked a few peonies for the kitchen table.  Dd23 wanted to maybe watch a movie tonight - I've had The Usual Suspects on my mind for a few days, but LANGUAGE.  Almost to the point of silly, lol.  I love the story, though.

Coffee!

• Like 5