Menu

Ignore this thread!

7 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I woke up this morning with a snippet of a song in my head that morphed into a different song by Ben Rector and I had to fight to get the original song back in my head so I could remember enough of it to get the title but then My alarm went off and I forgot everything.  Maybe it will come to me later.  I'm pretty sure it was from the 80's.

Then I won’t know it. The 80’s is a black hole in my memory!

A Black Hole Booyah!   

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

The closest to EdPo'ing I'll do today is to say I'm literally rethinking my entire teaching methodology. I've been a traditional homeschooler thus far, but I am considering something different alltogether moving forward that will require a LOT more involvement on my part, but I believe the memories made with my children will be worth it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

I took two girls to the Good Lab at 7 to get their labs done.  We were back before 8 and ds26 had breakfast and coffee ready.  Imma take ds17 to get his hair cut and then we are planning to go to the rec center for some swimming.

I have a pretty huge mountain of laundry that needs to be put away.

Coffee!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

What books? We are all book people so titles matter. Inquiring ITTers wanna know.

Just Japanese. I've been printing Japanese From Zero because I was given almost no notice and had no money, but I ordered real books today.

48 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

The closest to EdPo'ing I'll do today is to say I'm literally rethinking my entire teaching methodology. I've been a traditional homeschooler thus far, but I am considering something different alltogether moving forward that will require a LOT more involvement on my part, but I believe the memories made with my children will be worth it.

Have more coffee.

11 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I took two girls to the Good Lab at 7 to get their labs done.  We were back before 8 and ds26 had breakfast and coffee ready.  Imma take ds17 to get his hair cut and then we are planning to go to the rec center for some swimming.

I have a pretty huge mountain of laundry that needs to be put away.

Coffee!

I'll have the kids do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!

Lots of attitude from one of my dds going on here today. 😞  I know that she is frustrated by something, but I really don't know what.  Also, she doesn't sleep well.  This attitude is an ongoing problem and I really am at a loss as to how to help her.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

Lots of attitude from one of my dds going on here today. 😞  I know that she is frustrated by something, but I really don't know what.  Also, she doesn't sleep well.  This attitude is an ongoing problem and I really am at a loss as to how to help her.

Has she had a physical recently? Maybe it's a physical something.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ellie said:

This reminded me that I told Gymnast it was past time for her to have a well child check and I needed to make an appointment for her. Then I remembered...I already made that appointment. It's in June.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Busy weekend, starting today.

Dance practice this afternoon; she leaves early to go to dress rehearsal for her orchestra concert. I'll have to drop her off and have dh pick her up because I have a child to tutor and I won't get home in time if I wait for my kid.

Saturday is the first big dance rehearsal with all the parts from all the schools. It's pretty wild. Why it starts just before lunch is beyond me, but her orchestra concert starts at about the same time. So...she'll be late for dance. But dance lasts until 5, so I doubt she'll miss much. So, concert, lunch, dance.

Sunday she has a mariachi gig in the morning, then the mariachi concert in the afternoon.  I hate Sunday morning activities (except church). That's why we didn't do the city soccer program - all their games are on Sunday mornings. What's the deal with that????

It doesn't slow down next week either, because Monday through Wednesday there's the 3-hour dance tech rehearsals, then dance performances Thursday through Saturday. She has a week break after that, thankfully, then one more orchestra practice to focus on auditions, dance wrap-up class, then her orchestra audition. She doesn't have to audition for mariachi because she is staying with the same group/level.

I'm already tired.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!

CBD oil? 😂

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Renai said:

Busy weekend, starting today.

Dance practice this afternoon; she leaves early to go to dress rehearsal for her orchestra concert. I'll have to drop her off and have dh pick her up because I have a child to tutor and I won't get home in time if I wait for my kid.

Saturday is the first big dance rehearsal with all the parts from all the schools. It's pretty wild. Why it starts just before lunch is beyond me, but her orchestra concert starts at about the same time. So...she'll be late for dance. But dance lasts until 5, so I doubt she'll miss much. So, concert, lunch, dance.

Sunday she has a mariachi gig in the morning, then the mariachi concert in the afternoon.  I hate Sunday morning activities (except church). That's why we didn't do the city soccer program - all their games are on Sunday mornings. What's the deal with that????

It doesn't slow down next week either, because Monday through Wednesday there's the 3-hour dance tech rehearsals, then dance performances Thursday through Saturday. She has a week break after that, thankfully, then one more orchestra practice to focus on auditions, dance wrap-up class, then her orchestra audition. She doesn't have to audition for mariachi because she is staying with the same group/level.

I'm already tired.

Svengo!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Ellie said:

She hasn't had a physical recently, but I don't think it's that.

She has a few markers that lean toward ADD, but not enough to indicate a diagnosis.

She gets frustrated really easily.

• Like 1

Also, (and this is mostly my fault) she does not have a great work ethic.

School used to be very easy for her -- and now that it's not as easy she shuts down.  

I think that it's going to take some time to help her build up her confidence and learn to work hard.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

When I don't sleep well I get frustrated really easily, too.

Yep -- but we haven't found a solution for the sleep problem.

She *thinks* the solution is to have her own bedroom.  Um, our house isn't really big enough for that.

We recently bought room darkening curtains, hoping that would help, but so far it hasn't.  So we need to try something else.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Junie said:

Yep -- but we haven't found a solution for the sleep problem.

She *thinks* the solution is to have her own bedroom.  Um, our house isn't really big enough for that.

We recently bought room darkening curtains, hoping that would help, but so far it hasn't.  So we need to try something else.

A friend told me yesterday that her daughter started taking ashwagandha and it has helped her sleep and anxiety enormously.  Just throwing that out there.

• Thanks 2

She doesn't deal with change very well.  She was actually doing fairly well -- until (and she told me this) I gave her a new science book.  She doesn't like it and it's overwhelming to her.  There's also some (good) stress right now because ds21 is getting married soon.  :)

So I think we're just going to have to ride this wave for a little while.  😞

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Junie said:

She doesn't deal with change very well.  She was actually doing fairly well -- until (and she told me this) I gave her a new science book.  She doesn't like it and it's overwhelming to her.  There's also some (good) stress right now because ds21 is getting married soon.  🙂

So I think we're just going to have to ride this wave for a little while.  😞

Same with Gymnast right  now. Is this your 11yo by any chance? Anxiety was getting under control to a point she was finally sleeping in her own room, alone. Then we stayed with Dancer and family for those two weeks, something happened (she watched something she shouldn't have?) and it's been downhill from there. It's going on 4 months now! But, it's only been recently that she hasn't been sleeping well, at all. She'll stay up while I work, but will fall asleep on the sofa, then I have to wake her to go to bed (in our room). We were at each other's throats for the past two weeks. I told her I'm perimenopausal and she's growing...and we're both hormonal and need better sleep. It helped that we're both more cognizant about the issue, but we still need a solution that won't throw her into a panic attack.

• Like 3

I’m here. So glad it is Friday. Lots of fires to put out at work, problems to solve, people to deal with. What I really want to do is go to the Island and sit in an Adirondack chair in front of the fire pit with a fluffy throw and read a good book.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Slache said:

My books haven't shipped yet.

Abe Books just refunded one of the books after telling me they would not be doing that. Did one of you call them?

I did. With a little persuasion, they saw things my way. (I need to stop reading Richard Stark novels)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I updated my Kindergarten Japanese:

Update is I bought Kana From Zero. Now he'll have a big, thick, official looking book like his siblings and it will go extremely slow and easy and cost me $15. If he persists I can do Kanji From Zero, which is not a decent Kanji study, but will also be big and official and fancy and slow. I cancelled the workbooks because they're faster than this and this is perfect because it looks just like what we're doing.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Slache said:

I updated my Kindergarten Japanese:

Update is I bought Kana From Zero. Now he'll have a big, thick, official looking book like his siblings and it will go extremely slow and easy and cost me $15. If he persists I can do Kanji From Zero, which is not a decent Kanji study, but will also be big and official and fancy and slow. I cancelled the workbooks because they're faster than this and this is perfect because it looks just like what we're doing.

It'll be really cool when he can read in Japanese before he reads in English. 😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Look at all these smartypantz bilingual kids!  So jealous.

In other news, I took the hairdryer to the ice maker and Bob's your uncle, we might have ice tomorrow!  Not that we use ice very often.  Still.  It annoys me when it isn't working.

My legs and butt are sore from swimming today.  Must've been kicking properly or something.

#isaidbutt

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

No it won't.

Sure it will. He'll get English regardless; he's surrounded by it. Getting Japanese early is wonderful. He'll be reading. It'll transfer. Don't worry. 

You should get a colorful hiragana poster to hang on the wall. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Alphabet-Hiragana-Learning-Classroom/dp/B09WJTTDP6/ref=sr_1_36?crid=14JKV0SW65UTU&keywords=japanese%2Bhiragana%2Bposter%2Bfor%2Bkids&qid=1651268128&sprefix=hiragana%2Bposter%2Bfor%2Bkids%2Caps%2C2464&sr=8-36&th=1

I had one that one of my Japanese friends brought me, that was 20 years ago, so...I don't have it anymore.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I did. With a little persuasion, they saw things my way. (I need to stop reading Richard Stark novels)

I should probably read a Richard Stark novel. Where should I fit it in my Challies reading challenge list?

Recently I started reading a novel called Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt for category: Book with the word Gospel in the title.  Lol I don't think it's what Tim had in mind.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

Ah, here's what I used with Dancer that I thought didn't exist anymore! https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Me-Japanese-Paperback-Audio/dp/0934633150/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2HB7P9EWPKYJO&keywords=teach+me+japanese&qid=1651268436&sprefix=teach+me+japanese%2Caps%2C360&sr=8-4

It was so long ago, the songs were on cassette tape. 😂 We can still sing some of the songs. The alphabet song is pretty sticky.

Edited by Renai
added info
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

Sure it will. He'll get English regardless; he's surrounded by it. Getting Japanese early is wonderful. He'll be reading. It'll transfer. Don't worry. 

You should get a colorful hiragana poster to hang on the wall. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Alphabet-Hiragana-Learning-Classroom/dp/B09WJTTDP6/ref=sr_1_36?crid=14JKV0SW65UTU&keywords=japanese%2Bhiragana%2Bposter%2Bfor%2Bkids&qid=1651268128&sprefix=hiragana%2Bposter%2Bfor%2Bkids%2Caps%2C2464&sr=8-36&th=1

I had one that one of my Japanese friends brought me, that was 20 years ago, so...I don't have it anymore.

I love that! I also need this.

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

Ah, here's what I used with Dancer that I thought didn't exist anymore! https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Me-Japanese-Paperback-Audio/dp/0934633150/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2HB7P9EWPKYJO&keywords=teach+me+japanese&qid=1651268436&sprefix=teach+me+japanese%2Caps%2C360&sr=8-4

It was so long ago, the songs were on cassette tape. 😂

Dude. I did so many things like that with John. I hate those things.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slache said:

I love that! I also need this.

Dude. I did so many things like that with John. I hate those things.

All I did was put on the tape and let it play. There was really nothing I "did." It's pretty amazing she actually learned any Japanese. 🤣 I can still sing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" in Japanese too... When she got older, we listened to Pimsleur Japanese (we moved up, we were using cds then!).

• Like 2

It’s Friday night. It’s Friday night. Ima say it again…..it’s Friday night. We had dinner at my mom’s house. My uncle and aunt were there as usual. We had a rollicking good time talking about all their aunts and uncles and cousins. 

And I am not being facetious. We really did. They had this huge family and my grandpa and his two sisters married my grandma and her two brothers and so there were all these double cousins and crazy stuff.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I should probably read a Richard Stark novel. Where should I fit it in my Challies reading challenge list?

Recently I started reading a novel called Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt for category: Book with the word Gospel in the title.  Lol I don't think it's what Tim had in mind.

That looks like a great book, Susan.  I just Bought it used on Amazon. I really like the way you can shoehorn a book into a category. I take lessons from you.

I know I probably shouldn’t read Richard Stark novels because they are pretty dark, but he is such a good writer, I am just addicted. You do have to read the Parker novels in order, though.

• Like 3