Menu

Ignore this thread!

My literature plan.

Grammar stage has been miscellaneous resources as their needs demanded. Teaching The Classics for mom, Five in a Row, of which I only did the first level then kinda integrated it into our lifestyle with the Ambleside Online reading list, The Creative Writer which is a writing curriculum, but covers literature concepts quite well. Next year I plan to use Grammar of Poetry the same way. Me eldest is more of a writer and my second is more of a reader so I envision less writing curricula and more socratic discussion which means more from Teaching The Classics than I've done before. My third is not academic and I'm planning a much gentler, throw the good books at him until he's older so he doesn't learn to hate reading, approach.

Logic stage has been a tough one but Junie reminded me of a curriculum I'd loved the idea of years ago and had forgotten about. Skills for Literally Analysis and American Literature by the same author. It teaches Christian worldview through literature but it checks all the boxes. The necessary vocabulary like "figurative", plot dynamics and all of that school stuff. They also sell a World Literature and British Literature book but I already have that covered with something I like better in the rhetoric stage. Before Junie reminded me of those books my plan was to use Windows To The World with the Jill Pike syllabus, but I was not entirely satisfied with that option.

Rhetoric stage is Old Western Culture. OWC teaches Christian worldview and worldly ideologies through literature pretty hard core. They cover the really hard books, many of which a lot of people would not expose their children to. They cover Greek, Roman, British and Early modern in a heavy plan of 2 hours a day of reading so it will will definitely be a pick and choose kinda thing.

So I guess grammar is fun exposure, logic is box checking and rhetoric is using the knowledge gained in the previous two.

Booya

-OBB

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

6 hours ago, Clarita said:

Haha don't tell my kids that. I'm approaching like these are just like all the other languages of the world. My only saving grace is I have decent pronunciation in Mandarin and Cantonese. I just suck at vocab and am illiterate.

If you are on facebook, there are some really helpful groups for learning/maintaining Chinese and/or Cantonese that I am a part. Let me know if you want any names.

• Like 4

Ok, so help me here with our projected path. From what I can see, the skills for rhetoric and skills for literary analysis books would cover 1 credit each in writing and literature in highschool. I had planned on using R&S English all the way through their 2 highschool courses plus Notgrass history with literature add-on, but will that cover lit analysis? I guess I'm trying to figure out where in our long-range plan literary analysis is going to be covered or if I need another plan. I cannot tell just by looking at the scope and sequence. R&S scope and sequence is a bit vague imo.

Update: I'm still not exactly sure when lit analysis will happen (research ongoing here), but I did figure out that we do not have to do the 2 R&S highschool English courses if we use the full Notgrass plus literature add-on. 

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ok, so help me here with our projected path. From what I can see, the skills for rhetoric and skills for literary analysis books would cover 1 credit each in writing and literature in highschool. I had planned on using R&S English all the way through their 2 highschool courses plus Notgrass history with literature add-on, but will that cover lit analysis? I guess I'm trying to figure out where in our long-range plan literary analysis is going to be covered or if I need another plan. I cannot tell just by looking at the scope and sequence. R&S scope and sequence is a bit vague imo.

Update: I'm still not exactly sure when lit analysis will happen (research ongoing here), but I did figure out that we do not have to do the 2 R&S highschool English courses if we use the full Notgrass plus literature add-on. 

Contact the publishers. I know Notgrass has a chat option and I've used it at least 3 times. I am annoying, but I give them money, so I'm allowed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Jean! Did you know that Tobira has come out with a beginner text to compete with Genki? It has a much better focus on pitch, more one on one projects than group, more grammar and reading exercises, and a companion novel. Unfortunately, only one of two is out.

• Thanks 2

We are back from the rec center.  Ds17 stayed in the fitness room for the stairmaster and the girls and I went to the pool.  My arms feel less noodley even though I made myself lift myself up on the side whenever I got to the deep end.  One time I even managed to get my whole self up and sitting on the edge!

Now lunch.  I'm having an egg on sprouted grain toast and everyone else is having leftover mac&cheese.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Slache said:

Contact the publishers. I know Notgrass has a chat option and I've used it at least 3 times. I am annoying, but I give them money, so I'm allowed.

But.... YOU'RE supposed to know it all! I don't wanna call them again. I'm pretty sure they know my voice after having so many printing issues back when we did the earlier edition of AtB. I did call R&S, but I couldn't articulate the exact skills I'm looking for in their scope and sequence so the poor lady I was speaking with couldn't really help me. Guess I'll call Notgrass in a bit. Svengo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

But.... YOU'RE supposed to know it all! I don't wanna call them again. I'm pretty sure they know my voice after having so many printing issues back when we did the earlier edition of AtB. I did call R&S, but I couldn't articulate the exact skills I'm looking for in their scope and sequence so the poor lady I was speaking with couldn't really help me. Guess I'll call Notgrass in a bit. Svengo.

You want to know if Notgrass will teach essential literary analysis skills?

• Like 2

My kids take literature classes in tutorial for high school, but I am also relying on Writing & Rhetoric to cement the literary analysis/composition/grammar skills that they got from R&S in earlier grades.  So far, W&R has been something we've been able to do all together with an 8-year grade span, though in the earlier stages I helped out my youngest more with the writing. We'll finish up the whole program next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

My kids take literature classes in tutorial for high school, but I am also relying on Writing & Rhetoric to cement the literary analysis/composition/grammar skills that they got from R&S in earlier grades.  So far, W&R has been something we've been able to do all together with an 8-year grade span, though in the earlier stages I helped out my youngest more with the writing. We'll finish up the whole program next year.

Can I do just the commonplace one?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ok, so help me here with our projected path, oh wise planner Slachie. From what I can see, the skills for rhetoric and skills for literary analysis books would cover 1 credit each in writing and literature in highschool. I had planned on using R&S English all the way through their 2 highschool courses plus Notgrass history with literature add-on, but will that cover lit analysis? I guess I'm trying to figure out where in our long-range plan literary analysis is going to be covered or if I need another plan. I cannot tell just by looking at the scope and sequence. R&S scope and sequence is a bit vague imo.

We are only using the History portion of the book, but yes, literary analysis is included.  I'm looking at the World History book and for instance Unit 10 included Julius Caesar.

There are about 10 questions and also several pages of analysis including plot summary and characterization.

We also have the American History set.

Feel free to ask any questions!! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Slache said:

I think Servie's on the phone with Notgrass.

Yes, I was. And yes, Josh still remembers me. 🤣

Per my phone conversation with Josh at Notgrass, literary analysis is covered in the student review. I just wanted to make sure no other analysis needs to be covered prior to Notgrass highschool courses. I don't want it to come as a total shock to Oldest and have him not know/understand what to do. Writing is covered, but not how to write, if that makes sense. So depending on the student, a writing course may be needed. So, maybe R&S English 9 & 10 if needed.

Thank you, Junie and Susan!

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I feel like I’m losing my mind. I hate teaching higher writing. I’m good with sentences and paragraphs but once it gets to be full papers I have no idea if what the kid wrote is good enough or not. And research aka regurgitate papers drive me crazy. Part of it is I detest writing myself. I truly hate doing it.

No shame in outsourcing, is there, for a 16, almost 17 year old? It doesn’t mean I’m a failure, right? I’m great with curriculum, not so much on the other parts.  I’m thinking WTMA Preparation for Rhetoric class. I’m going to have him take the placement test in a bit here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I feel like I’m losing my mind. I hate teaching higher writing. I’m good with sentences and paragraphs but once it gets to be full papers I have no idea if what the kid wrote is good enough or not. And research aka regurgitate papers drive me crazy. Part of it is I detest writing myself. I truly hate doing it.

No shame in outsourcing, is there, for a 16, almost 17 year old? It doesn’t mean I’m a failure, right? I’m great with curriculum, not so much on the other parts.  I’m thinking WTMA Preparation for Rhetoric class. I’m going to have him take the placement test in a bit here.

I'm outsourcing my 8 year old. So.

Not technically outsourcing, but she does IEW videos and for reasons I fail to understand her brother likes to correct it, and he's a better teacher than me, so. Yeah.

• Thanks 2

Hi y’all!! I’m semi-ketchupped.  Work has been pretty overwhelming. So has life.  

But the weather is nice. The cottonwoods by the river are blooming and little tufts of fluff are blowing around everywhere. My tomato plants have three fruits set on between two plants and I found an inch long cucumber growing on a plant.

I miss participating in spring curriculum discussions. Still haven’t heard from Christian school, so I may or may not be homeschooling next year. I really hope the girls get in, though. Work has been really hard this year.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Yes, though with younger kids I'd go much slower or cut out some lessons.  We do quite a bit aloud, which helps us get through lessons more quickly.  My kids are generally not quick writers.

Apparently it's not what I thought and I don't want to do it. Poo.

• Sad 3

Morning, I've read everything here but I think I haven't posted for a while.

As per rules, I'm still alive and kicking.  Just getting kicked out of the house first thing in the morning since our room is getting done.  Then run run run all day long.

Our kitchen cabinets come in next week but will probably be stored a little since our guy has another job to do first.   That will give us time to put the living room and bedrooms back together so isn't a bad thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Clarita said:

Yes Please. 

Okey dokey! I don't know the ages of your children, so I'm just going to list some that are specifically for young children, and those that are more general. I just listed the exact names of the groups; these are not links.

These first two are run by an acquaintance of mine (Po Tim King). She is a great teacher, and often does lives with guests that talk about ways to encourage Mandarin or Cantonese speaking at home. Po Tim King has a self-paced course with lots of practical ideas of integrating Chinese in the home. I got new ideas from her, and I teach this for general languages at conferences! 

Homeschooling Young Kids in Chinese

Introducing Chinese at Home for students

These next two are useful. Belonging to the first group allows you access to her Skritter group buy for only $10 a year!

Raising Bilingual Children in Chinese & English

Skritter-Bilingual Children

Easy Chinese for kids - She introduces a phrase a week to practice, and has daily accountability threads.

Classes for kids in Chinese and Spanish - for families doing both of these languages. I've found some gems here. My daughter (11, bilingual English/Spanish, learning Chinese) recently enjoyed an art class held in Chinese. I also look for content classes in Spanish so I'm not her only Spanish teacher.

Christian Parents Raising Bilingual Children in English & Chinese 

Then there are general language support groups:

Raising Bilingual/Multilingual Children

Non-native Speakers Raising Bilingual/Multilingual Children

Homeschooling Multilingual Kids

Non-Native Language Parenting to raise Bilingual/Multilingual Children

Multilingual Parenting

Raising Bilingual Kids and Little Global Citizens

And there's my group:

Family Language Learning Challenge

Wow. I need to cull some groups! I didn't realize I was in so many groups!

Edited by Renai
added my teeny tiny group to the list...shameful plug...
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I woke up this morning with a snippet of a song in my head that morphed into a different song by Ben Rector and I had to fight to get the original song back in my head so I could remember enough of it to get the title but then My alarm went off and I forgot everything.  Maybe it will come to me later.  I'm pretty sure it was from the 80's.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

This has never happened to me, and I order dozens from them every year!  🙁

Thank you! I was going to never order from them again, but they're so cheap. I'm probably out $7, but I didn't want to risk it again unless I found out it was a rarity.

• Like 3