• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Quarter to midnight and the phone just rang. It was a spammer. Grrrrr. 

Was it a "sell you something kind" or a "steal your info kind?"  Do they really think people want to buy stuff after they've been awakened from sleep?  This seems like a bad way to make a sales pitch!  :biggrin:

Hope you got back to sleep quickly and soundly! 

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Happy Independence Day!!

Happy Birthday Lynn’s DD!!

We are going to a party tonight at some friends’ house!! They have a nice pool and there will be fireworks, so the kids are happy. I need to frost some cookies, make a cobbler and some salsa for that shindig.

Yay for free coffeetables, Angi!!

No soccer games today!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Happy treason day!

16 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Happy Treason Day??? I guess that would make sense looking at it from the perspective of King George III.

Or perhaps England committed crimes when they violated colonial charters and denied the standard rights of their colonial subjects.  :biggrin:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Was it a "sell you something kind" or a "steal your info kind?"  Do they really think people want to buy stuff after they've been awakened from sleep?  This seems like a bad way to make a sales pitch!  :biggrin:

Hope you got back to sleep quickly and soundly! 

It was actually a total silence kind. We’ve been getting a lot of those. Sometimes it’s a robocall and after a second of silence someone comes on the phone. Sometimes not. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yeah.  I don't see treason by any definition.  Revolution, yes.  Treason, no. 

TBH, I do not consider what the Colonists did as particularly revolutionary. Well, ok, getting rid of a monarchy yes.... but the whole idea of a representative government and everything else that entailed was brought over from England. I prefer to use the terminology “War for American Independence” as opposed to “Revolutionary War”. 

32 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

TBH, I do not consider what the Colonists did as particularly revolutionary. Well, ok, getting rid of a monarchy yes.... but the whole idea of a representative government and everything else that entailed was brought over from England. I prefer to use the terminology “War for American Independence” as opposed to “Revolutionary War”. 

I agree that the Magna Carta and Hammurabi's code preceded the Declaration of Independence and that representation was not new. After all, ancient Greece and Rome and all.

However, I don't agree that it wasn't a revolution. The French revolution, the cultural revolution in China, the Russian revolution... They all built upon existing, foreign or adapted ideas.

I'd be interested to know your criteria for revolution if the American revolution didn't fit it.

We festivaled.

Later DH will take DS to fireworks. I hate fireworks. Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy, but we live where we can hear fireworks perfectly and never see them at all--every night of the state fair, New Year's Eve, July 4th, whatever, for 13 years now. And neighbors still set off their own in the cul-de-sac (read: outside my bedroom window). I was really unhappy last New Year's when we spent all day traveling and I finally got to go to bed--with a headache--and the neighbors started in. The 4th being a weeknight, as it will be 5 times out of 7, I hope people will have the sense to go to bed at a decent hour. We have to get school done early tomorrow because we're meeting Very Awesome People for lunch.

/rant

• Like 2

Here it doesn't get dark until after quiet hours (10 ish) so fireworks are always after bedtime.

I just realized if you lived further south you could have a fourth of July that was at a reasonable hour.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I heard it described once as being more reformation than revolution - they were restoring the rights that were supposed to be theirs as citizens of a nation.  

But for sure, those involved knew they would hang for treason if things didn't go their way.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

I agree that the Magna Carta and Hammurabi's code preceded the Declaration of Independence and that representation was not new. After all, ancient Greece and Rome and all.

However, I don't agree that it wasn't a revolution. The French revolution, the cultural revolution in China, the Russian revolution... They all built upon existing, foreign or adapted ideas.

I'd be interested to know your criteria for revolution if the American revolution didn't fit it.

I would consider the Communist Revolution in Russia a true Revolution. I am not going to get into the rightness or wrongness of thenRomanoffs, etc., but the new regime differed completely ideologically from the old. That is what I would consider to be a true revolution. IMO, what America did is similar to a child growing up and leaving his parents’ home and beginning a new home. No, they don’t do everything the same, but you can see the origins. 

We walked downtown and around the street festival on the square, got snowcones, listened to the old time band, and then walked back.  It's about 3 miles round trip.  Very hot.  We tried to walk on the shadier sides of the streets which helped.

Dh is making lunch and I made raspberry lemonade for dinner.  Dh will want to go to the bank parking lot to watch fireworks, which isn't my favorite place because of all the lights.  I'd rather go to Winstead Hill Park which is a mile outside town, but it's quiet and dark and you can see all the fireworks really well above the trees.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I would consider the Communist Revolution in Russia a true Revolution. I am not going to get into the rightness or wrongness of thenRomanoffs, etc., but the new regime differed completely ideologically from the old. That is what I would consider to be a true revolution. IMO, what America did is similar to a child growing up and leaving his parents’ home and beginning a new home. No, they don’t do everything the same, but you can see the origins. 

I would say that is an ideological revolution but you can have revolutions which are not ideological.

I guess that is a semantic difference. Would you say the French revolution was a "true" revolution?

5 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

I would say that is an ideological revolution but you can have revolutions which are not ideological.

I guess that is a semantic difference. Would you say the French revolution was a "true" revolution?

I think we are talking a lot about semantics, and I am not a political science person and I do not play one on t.v. From what I know about the French Revolution, I do not consider it a true revolution, either. I am not sure what I consider it, but from what I know, it was more chaotic and violent rather than really ideologically lead. But I do not know enough about it to state that as my position and argue it. KWIM?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

What kind of revolutions are not ideological?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

What kind of revolutions are not ideological?

The American revolution according to you.

What I'm saying is that I don't define it so narrowly--I think it can be a mere change in leadership or system. I think the American revolution was a big change in systems. It wasn't a novel idea but it included new checks and balances to improve the system.

The French revolution was likewise not a novel idea, it was building on existing ideas they'd used before, but they set up a different and better system.

I understand that you are defining it differently and that's why I said at this point it is semantics.

Booyah for the revolution!

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

The American revolution according to you.

What I'm saying is that I don't define it so narrowly--I think it can be a mere change in leadership or system. I think the American revolution was a big change in systems. It wasn't a novel idea but it included new checks and balances to improve the system.

The French revolution was likewise not a novel idea, it was building on existing ideas they'd used before, but they set up a different and better system.

I understand that you are defining it differently and that's why I said at this point it is semantics.

Booyah for the revolution!

Yes, you are correct. And that is exactly why I do not call the “American Revolution” a Revolution!!?

Cheers!!?

• Like 1

Got a hold of the camp director which was a good thing because I was thinking that this year's theme was one thing and dh thought that this year's theme was another thing and the director said that it was something else entirely!  So I'm hard at work on my outline for my lessons for the week (after I threw out yesterday's work which was based off of the theme I was thinking of and not the correct one). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Got a hold of the camp director which was a good thing because I was thinking that this year's theme was one thing and dh thought that this year's theme was another thing and the director said that it was something else entirely!  So I'm hard at work on my outline for my lessons for the week (after I threw out yesterday's work which was based off of the theme I was thinking of and not the correct one). 

Ran across this gem the other day:

Camp preppers sing this song

Doo da, doo da

Camp prepping's the way to go

All the doo da day.

Going to prep all morn,
Going to prep all day
I bet my money I'll be sick of this song
By the end of the day.

:smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

I just saw someone ignore the firetruck right of way (sirens were on). On the fourth of July. I am full of anger right now.

Maybe they were texting. There was video on the local news the other night of someone ignoring an ambulance and crashing right into a car that had pulled over because he was texting. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Tsuga said:

The Russian revolution is a lesson in the hazards of thinking "what could possibly be worse than this?"

I recently read part one of a two part bio on Stalin. “Young Stalin” by Simon Sebag Montfiore. It was excellent. But very very scary.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Maybe they were texting. There was video on the local news the other night of someone ignoring an ambulance and crashing right into a car that had pulled over because he was texting. 

Possibly worse: they started to pull aside, thought better of it, and put the pedal to the metal trying to pass as many cars as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Kitty is 13 or 14 today (or so we're told; we've had her 6 years). I think she's never going to outgrow the scared-of-strangers stage. *sigh* She got up and left the couch because she heard the neighbors' nice little 4yo girl talking--not yelling--near the front door (as she plays with DS and her sister).

Now she's back. Wait'll she sees that starting probably Friday, we're going to have a different 4yo friend over for school on weekdays for a couple of weeks.

• Like 3

I took a nap.  Dreamed that an old, probably mentally ill man walked into the house talking to me like he knew me.  I convinced him to come outside to talk (away from the kids who were playing inside) and managed to call 911.  By the time I explained the situation to the operator, the man had driven off.

Dh, on the other hand, dreamed that for the 2nd year in a row, I won the 4th of July pie baking contest!  I was so proud.  :biggrin:

I've made coleslaw and I think I can persuade dh to cut up the watermelon.  We're also having burgers, baked beans, fresh cherries, and chips. Ice cream for dessert.

Fireworks start around 9pm.  

• Like 4

I'm not giving Matt the attention he wants so he's pretending to suck on my shoulder while slowly waving his arms like a plecostomus.

SIL's wedding is going to be 2 hours long. :svengo:

We're going to watch National Treasure and eat burgers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slache said:

I'm not giving Matt the attention he wants so he's pretending to suck on my shoulder while slowly waving his arms like a plecostomus.

SIL's wedding is going to be 2 hours long. :svengo:

We're going to watch National Treasure and eat burgers.

Bonus points for "plecostomus".

• Like 2