Menu

Ignore this thread!

The morning's reflections:

Bottom of the Seventh

Last night the frost came,

This morning the sounds of summer stilled,

And the wind makes her song alone in the ghosts of summer’s sadness.

Last night the music stopped,

This morning the larger world is sadder for the loss,

And I mark my poor imitations in the tune of ink minor.

Last night the story ended,

This morning the legend rests—a beat in the imagination,

And I sit back, Sunday silent, wondering if it’s truly good.

Random Musings

Be sure to date this (and all of them).  'Tis a good reflection.

• Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:scared:   Junie!  How could you laugh at the demise of the poor flutterbabies?  I am so racked with guilt over my unknowing crime!  Is it too late?  Live, little flutterbabies, live!

• Like 3

We did our class time for the morning.  DH left his 3D printer running and OPEN, but I won't close up the box because it's a long art day today.  The girls will art, I will call Dad, and then I might run off to see another place and/or touch bases again with one or two of the first ones I saw.

Or I might run away for just a little while and eat my own lunch out....  (shh, don't tell my girls)

• Like 1

Everybody does know that the helping verbs should, could, and would all imply the subjunctive, right? Wished for or hoped for potential, existing in the imagination? :laugh:

Well.... yeah!! Who doesn't know that??

Actually, I didn't, and then I got to that part in Henle.

• Like 2

I can wear a flannel shirt today, if I so wish.   :thumbup1:

Woohoo!  Flannel booy-aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................

Turtleneck and sweatshirt here.  I wanted sweatshirt weather, but I wanted the kind where you almost want to take the sweatshirt off in the afternoon, not the kind where you want a turtleneck with it and still feel cold outside at 4:00.   :D

• Like 5

Yesterday during DD13's long Aikido evening I wrote down how much time I have spent over the past two weeks on my Dad Project.  Twenty-four hours over two weeks, not counting time spent starting the decluttering of the Pit of Doom to ready it for Dad visiting.

Is it nit-picky of me to decide to track how much of my time is going into this?  I want to know for myself, but also so I can trot out the information if someone starts asking why something is taking so long, or why I didn't get a task done sooner, or why am I so tired/busy/cranky/scattered.  It is not for the purpose of later trying to claim I deserve compensation for my time.  My time is freely given.

Not nit-picky. A very good idea. 

• Like 2

The interesting bit of that blog to me was the picture of the eight oldest, of whom seven are girls. Coincidentally, I didn't see any posts about how to peel a kid off a trampoline to come draw butterflies. :lol:  I had time to read it a bit because instead of starting school, I let DS read a comic book the next BA guide, at his request.

I was a mean mom this morning and told him he could have chocolate milk IF he opened the jug himself; he put more energy into fussing about it than trying it, and it's not sound-activated.... (It's a glass jug, not a twist-off cap.) Maybe he'll get it later. He's done it before.

Susan, good luck at the doctor's.

• Like 7

I’m doing too badly at keeping up with exercise, Latin, French, etc. right now to add anything, I think.

There are also two camps, one in spring, one in summer that allow the writer to set their own goal, track it by pages, words or time, and you can join a cabin of like-minded writers on-line for support. I saw several cabins last year for writers with young children.

• Like 1

Everybody does know that the helping verbs should, could, and would all imply the subjunctive, right? Wished for or hoped for potential, existing in the imagination? :laugh:

Well.... yeah!! Who doesn't know that??

Actually, I didn't, and then I got to that part in Henle.

Kind of rocked my world. Takes the needle out of should, could and would; it really does.

Every once in a while when I'm studying Latin I get this bizarre feeling and the realization that the way people construct meaning using language is different. I know that sounds weird and I'm having a hard time articulating what I'm trying to say. Translating from Latin to English is not a word-to-word translation with the same paradigms. The paradigms are different and sometimes I just feel like I'm feeling around looking for meaning and when I'm doing that, I know I'm doing it right, as opposed to using my English language paradigms to try to figure out what the Romans were trying to say.

All that to say, yes, Critter, the subjunctive is rocking my world, too.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

Waiting on Susan' doctor report. :toetap05: :toetap05: :toetap05:

The doctor says I have a "very severe UTI". And she gave me a look that said "why are you not dead yet?"

("But I don't have a fever!" is my sheepish reply.)

I am waiting on medicines and they are sending the pee cup to the super-duper lab to check on the type of bacteria so they will know if I am taking the right antibiotic.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 9

The doctor says I have a "very severe UTI". And she gave me a look that said "why are you not dead yet?"

I am waiting on medicines and they are sending the pee cup to the super-duper lab to check on the type of bacteria so they will know if I am taking the right antibiotic.

Yeah, there you go, Chickie!! That's pretty much what my doctor told me. I'm glad you went in and will get better soon!!
  • Like 4

Every once in a while when I'm studying Latin I get this bizarre feeling and the realization that the way people construct meaning using language is different. I know that sounds weird and I'm having a hard time articulating what I'm trying to say. Translating from Latin to English is not a word-to-word translation with the same paradigms. The paradigms are different and sometimes I just feel like I'm feeling around looking for meaning and when I'm doing that, I know I'm doing it right, as opposed to using my English language paradigms to try to figure out what the Romans were trying to say.

All that to say, yes, Critter, the subjunctive is rocking my world, too.

Exactly. 

I am coping with the amount of stress in life by decorating my pretend house.

Want to see the vanity I selected for the master bathroom?

https://www.wayfair.com/Beachcrest-Home-Newtown-60-Double-Vanity-BCHH6497.html?SSAID=687298&refid=SS687298&creative=65867&m=11035&piid=22412034#readmoremodal1

Love it! Look at all those awesome drawers!

• Like 1

I'm so glad you went.  Next time go sooner, missy.  Because no dying.

• Like 5

I think that more of the people who write about CM should actually read those original CM books. She actually used textbooks for certain things. And she was about being modern in thought - she was big on evolution because it was the biggest and newest idea of the day. She wanted to be cutting edge and relevant. Somehow that has been missed and people are trying to keep some kind of idyllic Tasha Tudor thing going.

It's a Misunderstood Charlotte Mason booyah! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 9

I think that more of the people who write about CM should actually read those original CM books. She actually used textbooks for certain things. And she was about being modern in thought - she was big on evolution because it was the biggest and newest idea of the day. She wanted to be cutting edge and relevant. Somehow that has been missed and people are trying to keep some kind of idyllic Tasha Tudor thing going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not CM, but I knew I had my nature study right when I was teaching ticks and snakes right along with bees and poison ivy.

• Like 2

That’s right, I forgot. Same with reading curriculum. In fact, when you buy homeschooling curriculum of any kind...a butterfly dies!

You are so my favourite thing!

I wanna nanowrimo. I think in two years maybe I could handle it.

Someday. I blame Critter. I truly don't know how to write. I learned the 5 paragraph essay and my instruction was abysmal. My college pretest showed I have the writing ability of an ESL student. I would like to buy myself a short story curriculum.  

It's really your blog, isn't it?   :toetap05:

Pft. Only dorks have blogs.

Dd went to the dentist today to have a cavity filled and ended up with a surprise crown.  I ended up with a surprise +$426 bill.  *sigh*  We've been having way too many surprise bills lately.

At least they're exciting? :grouphug:

Please don't let this happen again.

I was in bed. I went back to sleep. Gug.

ME TOO! Twinsies!

What, mine? :lol:

I love to read about CM, and it looks so wonderful in pictures. But somehow I don't think all the curriculum we use or Weird Al Yankovic or The Portsmouth Sinfonia quite fit in with the method.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw

The longer I homeschool the less curriculum I use.

#forthebutterflies

This blog is great for the age of your kids. It (and CMs suggestions) change as they get older.

And the books you recommend for CMing olders are?
  • Like 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And they get all legalistic. I've been told that if I use a phonics curriculum my son will hate reading. I'm dyslexic and all of my children will be studying phonics. They're not going to be 9 years old and not reading before I find out there's something wrong they should have been in therapy for 4 years ago.

• Like 3

And they get all legalistic. I've been told that if I use a phonics curriculum my son will hate reading. I'm dyslexic and all of my children will be studying phonics. They're not going to be 9 years old and not reading before I find out there's something wrong they should have been in therapy for 4 years ago.

Charlotte Mason taught phonics.  She just did it with homemade materials.  (One of the books has detailed instructions on how to make them.  I'm sure that she would have been thrilled with premade materials.)  She was big on word families.  UG - bug, dug, GUG, hug, jug, lug, mug, pug, rug, tug, drug, glug, plug, shrug, thug.  This is phonics. 

A lot of CM is appealing to the individual student and exciting his imagination.  If you can do that with AOPs and BA in math, then do it.  (I personally think that she would have liked those curricula.)  But some kids aren't excited by those.  She would not be a fan of forcing them to "like" it anyway. 

There are a couple of store type math books that are sold by Simply Charlotte Mason that dd liked when she was in upper elementary.  It was not our entire math but a couple of times a week we had fun with them.  I expanded them by not just having her sell her sports equipment (which is one scenario) but also had her recarpet her sports shop (area) and put railings around the perimeter (obviously perimeter) and other tasks that I thought up to bring in other aspects of math. 

Critter's writing with her turtles sounds CM to me.  My dd's obsession with her fake arm is also CM.  Science doesn't have to be nature study to be hands on - or to fit CM's ideas.  Obviously CM didn't mention certain studies in nuclear physics etc. because they didn't exist yet.  I find the focus on certain aspects of CM to be missing some of her point. 

• Like 9

I'm gonna wash these rats right out of my hair!

And send them on their way.

I'm gonna wash these bats right out of my hair!

And send them on their way.

• Like 4

Charlotte Mason taught phonics. She just did it with homemade materials. (One of the books has detailed instructions on how to make them. I'm sure that she would have been thrilled with premade materials.) She was big on word families. UG - bug, dug, GUG, hug, jug, lug, mug, pug, rug, tug, drug, glug, plug, shrug, thug. This is phonics.

A lot of CM is appealing to the individual student and exciting his imagination. If you can do that with AOPs and BA in math, then do it. (I personally think that she would have liked those curricula.) But some kids aren't excited by those. She would not be a fan of forcing them to "like" it anyway.

There are a couple of store type math books that are sold by Simply Charlotte Mason that dd liked when she was in upper elementary. It was not our entire math but a couple of times a week we had fun with them. I expanded them by not just having her sell her sports equipment (which is one scenario) but also had her recarpet her sports shop (area) and put railings around the perimeter (obviously perimeter) and other tasks that I thought up to bring in other aspects of math.

Critter's writing with her turtles sounds CM to me. My dd's obsession with her fake arm is also CM. Science doesn't have to be nature study to be hands on - or to fit CM's ideas. Obviously CM didn't mention certain studies in nuclear physics etc. because they didn't exist yet. I find the focus on certain aspects of CM to be missing some of her point.

STEM wasn't really much of an option for many back then. We have Snap Circuits, Legos, all sorts of puzzles including 3D brain teasers. I still need to get his stethoscope, but it's going to be like $6, not $180. We have better options that she didn't account for, including Google.

• Like 4

Because I'm officially deathly ill :D I am lazing about in bed while dd14 reads Black Ships Before Troy for story time and dd11 reads The Trojan Horse (Emily Little) for history. Then they get to read their individual literature books and I might take a nap. One really good thing about starting this antibiotic is that it might mean I can sleep tonight without waking to go to the bathroom every couple hours!

• Like 9